Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you probably wouldn't want to, but those things have good wasds also, the original nostromo like 20 fuckin years ago didn't even have an analog stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

e: okay maybe this game is just weird because looking at global achievements even the highest percentage achievement (beating the first boss) is like less than 5%

Maybe it got achievements added way after it launched so most people that played it never unlocked any of them?

Real close to finishing Wilmot's Warehouse but the final few phases are an organizational nightmare and I'm kinda done with trying to sort the endless stream of new deliveries, so I just hope the RNG goes in my favor and I get requests for the items I've already sorted.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 19, 2020

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I remember a time when I thought those were ridiculous. Now I’m seriously considering buying one, anyone have a recommendation that’s maybe a little cheaper?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Real hurthling! posted:

Miyamoto wont let them make any non toad characters ever again

Hi I'm Todd

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hype to finish work for the year on Wednesday, so I can commit as much time as possible to Hades so it makes my Top 10 list (or not)

Real glad I decided to wait to see how Cyberpunk turned out. Reckon it needs just a weeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit more time in the oven.
https://i.imgur.com/XzcTaxu.mp4

There's a whole gallery of them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

After all the hype and 48 years of development time, CP2077 ended up being... a pretty good game with some major flaws. I'll probably play it again once it's out of early access.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I tried the demo of Disaster Report 4 after seeing it on a couple lists in the goty thread and it seems pretty interesting (though when I was playing the demo a second time to be mean to everyone a building collapsing caused my PS4 to shut down which I've never seen before)

I guess I'll get it the next time I see it on sale because it's expensive

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Any good?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think if you like puzzle platformers and/or beautiful environments with very minimal UI elements ala SotC then you will probably like The Pathless.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Disaster report 4 was fun but beware if you are sensitive, theres a pretty big tone issue in the game where everything is goofy and fun and you turn a corner and the game blames you for letting rapes and suicides happen that you never saw coming on this first playthrough.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LeafyOrb posted:

I remember a time when I thought those were ridiculous. Now I’m seriously considering buying one, anyone have a recommendation that’s maybe a little cheaper?

I used to have a Nostromo n52 and now I kinda miss it

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

We are getting a Jesus video game

https://youtu.be/O4fuMh25GiA

gently caress yes

quote:

Are you prepared to fight with Satan in the desert, cure the sick and help the needy? Perform over 30 iconic miracles from the feeding of the 5,000 and healing lepers to the calming of the sea and giving sight to the blind.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 19, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Unironically looking forward to seeing this speedrun during the Awful Block at a GDQ event.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Press F to Genuflect

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Walla posted:

I get it. I'm American and I think the American South is a nightmarish place unless you're White, Male and like baseball and football. I can only guess at the poo poo you're putting up with there but it sounds like you're doing good work from the little you've said.

I hope you can find some happiness in videogames at least.

Yeah. Really the only thing that sucks is having nobody to talk to - whether online or in person. Ironic since I'm a therapist.

I have a billion acquaintances but pretty much no friends, in a sense that is far more literal than I think anyone here has ever dealt with. Certainly it's something I myself never had to deal with until this year, and it's pretty nuts.

I'm absolutely, literally going insane from it. I've never in my life been in a situation with not a single person to talk to and it's reeeeeally not good.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Now see what you're meant to do is pickup 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish, but instead we're going to pick up 3 loaves and 1 fish. Now while standing on top of this wicker basket while we craft the miracle, we actually end up saving about 10 frames over crafting it the normal way, and in addition we also somehow end up with a feast that can feed 50,000,000 people instead; which saves us performing the same miracle again later during the boss rush as the feast is already in our inventory"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We already have a Jesus video game :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pk0TB3M5r8

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Oh yeah, MDickie has been certified to publish games on the Switch.

I am hoping for some You Testament: Switch Edition sometime in the future.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh yeah, MDickie has been certified to publish games on the Switch.

I am hoping for some You Testament: Switch Edition sometime in the future.

If only it happened last gen.

We could have gotten the Wii U Testament.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Infinitum posted:

"Now see what you're meant to do is pickup 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish, but instead we're going to pick up 3 loaves and 1 fish. Now while standing on top of this wicker basket while we craft the miracle, we actually end up saving about 10 frames over crafting it the normal way, and in addition we also somehow end up with a feast that can feed 50,000,000 people instead; which saves us performing the same miracle again later during the boss rush as the feast is already in our inventory"

dotfivenine posted:

"Alright so typically we'd have to concieve a child the old fashioned way, but to keep thi sfw and to save frames, we're gonna clip into Mary and just trigger the pregnant flag"

Majuju posted:

"okay we're coming up on it, let's close the donation incentive, gonna need that word now."

"ooookay, the winner of the donation incentive, 'what curse to yell at the fig tree', with $3120 dollars, is 'MYDUDE'"

<polite clapping>

Evil Badman posted:

"poo poo, well, I missed the jump...so here's a three day unskippable cutscence. We have time for donations."

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So I know most of you wouldn't do this on a casual playthrough, but since this is a speedrun we're absolutely just going to choose to shove our daughters out the door instead of the visitors

loquacius posted:

The Garden of Eden zone is just overloaded with exposition cutscenes and drawn-out tutorials, but we don't have time for that, so we're gonna just snatch one of these Knowledge fruits here. They're hard-coded so that our human characters can't touch them until we pass every single tutorial, but there's a loophole if we find one... specific... animal NPC... yep, there's our friend the snake. (CROWD: SNAAAAAAAAKE)

Kikas posted:

*muffled SpikeVetega in the distance* SNAKE HOIPE

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Don't pretend like you're not gonna be hype watching someone pull off a frame perfect Judas Skip.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"You can just straight up half the time The Last Supper minigame takes by seating everybody on both sides of the table"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some early initial impressions

saga scarlet graces amibitions (2019 ios port) - yes, this is very much saga. the main character chosen for me is named URPINA. the character art style is kind of similar to minstrel's song but without everyone having dwarven proportions. the game runs at 60fps on iphone xr which is pretty nice but then again it was a vita game to begin with. i chose ios over switch because i figure a game like this vibes very well with a pick-up-and-play device, so i could flick to it and play for 5 minutes and then flick over to web browsing.

the only issue i'm having with this port is that it doesn't store itself in memory very well. switching over to discord and then back caused it to reboot because i guess discord and saga couldn't both be stored in memory!! i'll have to see if other people have this issue and what the best solution is.

combat wise i think it's cool that you get to see what enemies are going to do on their turn, and how powerful an attack it is, so you can plan for it. if you go to attack a boss and then see they have a 7 star attack coming, you can quickly switch over to having all your dudes defend. character progression seems similar to minstrel's song although there are also playstyles that unlock for characters or something? after just a couple of battles my dudes were already glimmering new skills so i very much like that, as minstrel's song often required a little too much repetitive weapon usage to get a glimmer to happen. the star-based action point pool I will have to get used to, compared to everyone having their own action points, or skills costing HP/MP.

the only-overworld concept reminds me a lot of cat quest, although this seems like it will have more flavor text and hidden things to find than cat quest did. also with the actually good saga combat instead of kind of mediocre mobile-arpg combat. it seems like world events can happen in real-time? i was just running around and then suddenly a village got sieged by monsters.. i had kind of thought maybe performing actions in the world, visiting towns, etc. would advance time, but instead time just advances regardless of what you're doing. so i'll have to get used to that as well.

haven't played long enough to really get into character builds yet. minstrel's song had the skill vendors where you could level up magic types and weapon types up to lvl3 and I'm not sure if that'll be in this game or not. for now i just did a few battles, went to a swamp, went to a fort, and helped a village.

phoenotopia awakening (2020 switch-only for now) - this seems to be the largest metroidvania ever made, with a 37hr average on howlongtobeat (compared to 25.5hrs for hollow knight). obviously hollow knight has a ton of additional content, but just in terms of primary campaign size, it seems like phoenotopia is going for jrpg length. to that end, phoenotopia goes the zelda 2 route rather than the souls route, although it does have pretty punishing difficulty. you have limited melee range and are quite squishy. you don't get damaged by touching enemies, just their attacks, so that at least lets you get in and wail and then leap away. just off the bat (no pun intended, you do start with a bat as your weapon), you have sprint, crawl, roll, and the ability to lift things up like super mario 2 which factors into some puzzles.

you also get a slingshot early on which lets you hit switches from afar. after about a couple of hours of playing i've been through the first dungeon and been running around in the second town of the game. i've gotten a lantern for lighting up dark areas, and a flute that triggers things when i play certain tunes (ala Ocarina of Time). like zelda 2, on the world map enemies can appear and pull you into a tiny sidescrolling combat area. UNLIKE zelda 2, you do not have a pogo sword attack... which I'm actually ok with because I think it gets overused in games that imitate Z2. plus as weird as pogoing on a sword is, a bat would seem even sillier idk. bosses have a health bar similar to blasphemous which makes me think that later bosses will get additional attack patterns over the course of the fight.

the game has a cute aesthetic to it, somewhere in the realm of cave story without being an underside-esque knockoff. the music is generally chiptune+piano&strings which is my favorite kind of chiptune so hooray. controls are pretty responsive (they'd pretty much have to be or the difficulty would be too frustrating) although the switch's dpad is not amazing... still, I'd avoid using the left stick for movement because it has issues with ducking into crawling. The right stick can pull up a radial wheel for selecting items, whether it's the slingshot/flute type items, or food to eat for health restoration. food takes a little time to eat although you can mash a button to eat faster. there is breath of the wild style cooking (with a genshin like timing system) to improve monster parts into more edible food.

ok let's talk about the early negatives. there is no in-game map, only a world map when you are traversing between areas. it does seem like there is fast travel to come later on in the game as i have seen a couple of transport stations on the world map, so at least there's that. but when you're in dungeons you just will have to memorize the layout. the other negative is the save system. there are no checkpoints in the game, only save points, so if you die, you lose all progress and go back to the save point. this includes any upgrades you collect, any money, any fights, any items used, etc. so you will need to save a lot more often. this adds to the difficulty for sure and it might be a dealbreaker for some people which i definitely understand. at least in the first dungeon it was not too difficult to get back to the save point when i needed to, and they provided an additional save point right before the boss. and towns have multiple save points, each side of a non-dungeon area typically has a save point.

the game does have accessibility options. nothing that provides auto-save or checkpoints, but you can adjust SOME options to make things a little easier. the menu for this is a bit more rudimentary than the general item/armor menu which suggests that it was very much tacked on in a post-game patch, but it's better than nothing.

the real litmus test for the game will be how much the experience can be varied up over the course of a 37 hour game. repetitiveness has to be minimized to make it even remotely worth the time investment. there are zelda-esque minigames like fishing, shooting gallery, and free running courses. but main quests will also have to keep shaking things up, or the game could become a slog by hour 15+.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Infinitum posted:

Hype to finish work for the year on Wednesday, so I can commit as much time as possible to Hades so it makes my Top 10 list (or not)

Real glad I decided to wait to see how Cyberpunk turned out. Reckon it needs just a weeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit more time in the oven.
https://i.imgur.com/XzcTaxu.mp4

There's a whole gallery of them

Tbh I wouldn't fix half of this. People T-posing down ladders, arms just flailing about randomly, or just sliding around on your knees seem very cyberpunk to me.

Fix the stuff that causes you or car to just start randomly flying, but make so you can do sweet flips from the ground and do car-fu.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This is how people fight in the future

https://i.imgur.com/ykEKTPJ.gifv

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I just met Roche in FF7R and he was doing a lot of stuff like this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

this looks dope. but let me guess, i need to own a playing station to play it tho

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's also on EGS.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

this looks dope. but let me guess, i need to own a playing station to play it tho

There are also PC and iOS versions

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
37hr is a huge red flag for me in a metroidvania. I didn’t even like hollow knight because it was too drat big. Give me less content please

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

hahaha this owns, was this a ycs thread or something?

haveblue posted:

There are also PC and iOS versions

oh drat hella yeah. also just remembered i could buy and play journey finally too!!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Is Star Wars sci fi or “space fantasy”?

space fantasy which is why its so boring

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cant believe i was right all along when i said "cyberpunk 2077 is going to be a buggy mess" for 12 months straight

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm going to transpose my fists by a factor of negative pi and if your drive gets corrupted it's your fault

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you're encountering bugs in cyberpunk, you just need to get better at the game. Nobody is ready or wants to hear this, but bugs are 100% an expression of latent scrubness in the player. I'm actually so good at the game that I have antio-bugs, they're going out into my computer and fixing things up, changing those 46 compromised passwords I have, etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yes, the movie Equilibrium proves this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gun kata was great, another movie should do that

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

hahaha this owns, was this a ycs thread or something?

oh drat hella yeah. also just remembered i could buy and play journey finally too!!!!

You can just click the title of the quote to go to the original place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3XKVQuTcXs