Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Motronic posted:

For the new mandatory on-call they'll be announcing next week. Since you proved you can do your job from home might as well have you do it from the office AND at home. Efficiency!

I winced because it's not even really a joke. This is absolutely what's coming in a lot of companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Xguard86 posted:

Almost Every recruiter reach out I get is some contract BS for a job one or two levels below where I'm at.

The others that are decent but not quite, the recruiters seem really uninterested in ongoing relationships and I've never had one come back around.

Are you getting calls with actually relevant positions?

75% of the rando's I get on LinkedIn are for FT positions, although they're mostly at startups promising HUGE UPSIDE POTENTIAL and a good amount of equity. But I've lived through that before and I learned it's not worth it to me. The roles themselves pay fine relative to my comp expectations, it's more the practical reality/stress of helping a company figure out their business model and the pressure of if certain things you're responsible for don't pan out, they might not make payroll that month.

For those randoms, I have a diplomatic 2-3 sentence response that looks polite and personalized that I just copy and paste into my LinkedIn reply to their message, archive it, and move on, taking all of 3 seconds. But then down the line if I see they're connected to someone or I find they or their company is looking to place a job for somewhere I'm intrigued by, I just c&p another semi-canned message to them of "hey, we had been in contact a little while and it wasn't the right time; I recently saw you were hiring for Job X at Company Y and that seems like a good fit."

The other 25% are generally much more seasoned exec recruiters in my space - like my local go-to guy here in town has been a recruiter in the region and this sector for 28 years and knows a lot of the movers and shakers, even when they're not actively hiring. He and I talk at least once a year just to keep up with what he's seeing, potential opportunities at my company or people in my network that might be looking I can refer to him. He's gotten me several decent-to-excellent interviews, most recently a pretty good role that made me a very generous offer then 20% more, but ultimately I passed on it. This guy will often say, "I'd love to work together and place you somewhere but I'm in this for the long haul so it's ok if it's not right now. I'm sure we'll find a way to do it."

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Sounds like you're at a fairly high level. Maybe that's when the recruiters become more worth a drat?

Good point on the reach out though. That prob applicable at all levels I imagine.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The problem with recruiters is that there are A LOT of scams, between some randos in South Dakota forming a company and saying they're premiere or a bunch of outsourced recruiters all recruiting for the same 3 month contract job.

My favorite is the recruiter that calls me about a job at X amount when I already have an interview lined up with the company and I know he's undercutting me by 20k.

My company announced that 40-50% of our large office workforce will be remote 100% of the time, and that no one will have to actually work in the office 5 days a week again. I love this company but my HR rep hates me and I hate that I'm being pushed to leave because of it.

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 12, 2021

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Last week I interviewed a guy who's primary motivation for considering working with us was equity and the possibility of an early retirement. I guess this is a bad answer in that it doesn't have enough corporate speak in it, but I know that our principal offer in our field is the equity, so fine.

Just after the interview, I'm talking with another person on that interview who thought similarly about the candidate's answer. I had to break it to him that no one at our level is going to get retirement-level money from an exit, even if it is in the billions, so we can't be leading this candidate on. The other guy was astounded. He didn't know how small his share of the employee option pool is and he didn't know how small the option pool is compared to the total ownership. His payout was looking to be something like a half year's salary for every billion the company is sold for and he was expecting to get, I don't know, millions? I was pretty shocked by this, as I asked those questions before I joined on, so I have an idea of what my options would be worth (making lots of assumptions).

This guy has been working 16-hour days for the past 2 years trying to muscle his way through the work that would lead to an early retirement, and I was the one to tell him that wasn't going to happen. :( He wants to renegotiate, but there is zero chance he is going to get anything like what he was expecting.

Anyway, in the past few months our VPs have quit or been fired, which is unfortunate because they are totally incapable and should have been fired at least a year ago when I (and many others) warned the CEO they were worse than deadweight. The only remaining member of that cabal, and the person protecting the others, has hung around. At least the consensus is now that he has to go, too. We'll see how that goes.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Hearing a bunch of people here talk about WFH ending has me surprised that my super old school beurecratic utility company is still holding the line with not even starting to non-essential employees in the office until after Labor Day. Granted, that is just managers/supervisors and engineers. I am in real time operations, and I have been going in to the office the whole time. But that’s kinda understandable, as we need to operate inside a physical and cyber secure location.

I am interviewing for a new position that will no longer be poo poo work, but within the same department. Supposedly it will be at least partial work from home once the offices open up. I am much more concerned about getting off shift than WFH, that is just a nice bonus.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Orvin posted:

poo poo work

cc: Freud, Sigmund

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://twitter.com/ImNotJK/status/1403483098004611072

:stare:

I hate idiots like this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Some vc shitbag, of course she has terrible ideas and doesn't know how anything really works.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Midjack posted:

Some vc shitbag, of course she has terrible ideas and doesn't know how anything really works.

The replies are pretty awesome at least! Not that it’d change the mind of someone like that.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Put in my 35 hours Saturday and Sunday. Not gonna be in the office this week. :clint:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Put in my 35 hours Saturday and Sunday. Not gonna be in the office this week. :clint:

Winner by technicality!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Our hybrid model is apparently that you'd be in the office 3 days a week but it can't be the same 3 days every week and you can't have the same people in at the same time every time. Immediately someone said "well how am I supposed to plan childcare if I don't know when I'm going to be at home?" and the backtrack of "oh well of course there will be special cases" begins.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

priznat posted:

We had a division all-hands today and after the VP asked everyone to mute, like immediately after, someone loudly cleared their throat and then dropped their phone while a dog was going bananas in the background, lol. After about 10 minutes of begging/yelling to mute they finally figured out they could lock mute everyone.

However, they had to take that off to let a new speaker unmute, and someone promptly (accidentally?) unmuted and there was a lady in the background yelling in chinese for about 2 minutes before they managed to mute everyone again.

Honestly it's the most interesting/entertaining part of the all hands seeing how the mute stuff will play out, every drat time. Sadly no toilet flushes or parrot noises this time, though (has happened in previous ones)
This is really funny because anyone competent can organize a meeting with co-hosts and mute everyone else. You can ask for chat feedback. You can trace who's noisy and mute just them. This poo poo ain't hard.
I'm 200% convinced all the execs with a hard-on for back-to-the-office are ludite boomers, incompetent at actual management, or both.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Our hybrid model is apparently that you'd be in the office 3 days a week but it can't be the same 3 days every week and you can't have the same people in at the same time every time. Immediately someone said "well how am I supposed to plan childcare if I don't know when I'm going to be at home?" and the backtrack of "oh well of course there will be special cases" begins.
lol. every. time.

The last hilarious variation on this was on a project I have a side-stake on, and someone decided they needed my critically-short-supplied engineers to babysit something over the weekend. I sat there and computed the comp time they'd accrue in just 3 days and suddenly they weren't needed anymore.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 13, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

evil_bunnY posted:

lol. every. time.

The last hilarious variation on this was on a project I have a side-stake on, and someone decided they needed my critically-short-supplied engineers to babysit something over the weekend. I sat there and computed the comp time they'd accrue in just 3 days and suddenly they weren't needed anymore.

"we need 24x5 coverage in all regions!" "ok well we have nobody in the US and the Japan team are short so we need two full time staff in the high cost areas and an extra half to manage them" ".... nevermind we'll just make India work late"

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

I did this early in my career because the economy was in shambles and I was working retail and call centers. I don't think it helped me much.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

It is an unpopular opinion, so her statement is technically correct.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Also technically correct in that she didn't actually specify young people working to death for free is good for them. It's the best thing for wealthy capitalists though!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Positional arms race? What’s that, some kind of wrestling?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I mean, I have a primary 6 figure job that I slack off with and do the bare minimum. I also have a small contract side gig in which I put a couple hours on the weekend and maybe an hour or 2 each day M-F for maybe 10 hours/week total. It nets me $50k/year which is being put in the market/paying down debt and I don’t plan on doing it forever, but I am doing it now so I can FIRE/fatFIRE.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I’d take a couple years of working a little on the weekends when I was younger to FIRE/fatFIRE 10 or 15 years earlier than planned.

E: if the tweet was suggesting working an extra few hours on the weekend for your salaried job that you’d already clocked 40 hours during the week for, :lol: no

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 13, 2021

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Cacafuego posted:

E: if the tweet was suggesting working an extra few hours on the weekend for your salaried job that you’d already clocked 40 hours during the week for, :lol: no

search your heart

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I've been working at least one weekend day most of my life

Still waiting for my big break

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Renegret posted:

It arrived the day you signed up for an account here, friend.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Renegret posted:

Even in the corporate world, I find myself putting in 4-5 hours a weekend on top of 50 hrs during the workweek

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Popular opinion: This person is loving dumb.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Perfect Onion article for this thread and some good replies in the comments:

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1403483445100228614?s=21

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My long weekend (I took F/M as vacation days) has been a disaster so far. I'm seriously 30+ phone calls from work into it, and it's only Sunday.

The big kicker was yesterday when someone called asking me to come in and help with a project because it was "urgent." Why was it urgent? Because she was taking next week off of work and was supposed to have the project done. She wanted me to interrupt my vacation so that she could go on hers. She's not even in my department. (She used to be and got hosed over by agreeing to transition her old projects to her replacement, who was never hired so she's doing two jobs now. That's her mistake though, not mine.)

I did not go to work yesterday, let's just say.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Why are you answering the phone on vacation?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Honey Im Homme posted:

Why are you answering the phone on vacation?

Because when I didn't answer it originally, they went up the chain and then the calls started coming from Sr. Director level. :X

That's the problem with the sorts of shitbags who call someone on vacation -- if they were going to be reasonable, they wouldn't have called you in the first place.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sundae posted:

Because when I didn't answer it originally, they went up the chain and then the calls started coming from Sr. Director level. :X

That's the problem with the sorts of shitbags who call someone on vacation -- if they were going to be reasonable, they wouldn't have called you in the first place.

My boss and program management structure aren't great, but my boss would not be okay if someone was trying to reach me on PTO and it wasn't a real urgent need. Or that need couldn't be taken care of by someone not on PTO.

If you're regularly running into situations where you have urgent needs from people who are on PTO that's a red flag the organization has a big bus problem, I think. But because of the nature of cost minimization and capitalism you're going to run into that a lot, unless the org is better than average about it.

What if you were day drinking and drunk as hell while your sr director was calling?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 13, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inner Light posted:

My boss and program management structure aren't great, but my boss would not be okay if someone was trying to reach me on PTO and it wasn't a real urgent need. Or that need couldn't be taken care of by someone not on PTO.

If you're regularly running into situations where you have urgent needs from people who are on PTO that's a red flag the organization has a big bus problem, I think. But because of the nature of cost minimization and capitalism you're going to run into that a lot, unless the org is better than average about it.

What if you were day drinking and drunk as hell while your sr director was calling?

My standard PTO was always "at the hunting cabin with no cell service" or "at a stage rally in the middle of the woods with no cell service." Sometimes that's even actually what I was doing.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Inner Light posted:

The last time I took PTO (for my wife’s surgery)- the woman that worked for me with triple the experience called me 18 times in 3 days.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Pillowpants posted:

The last time I took PTO (for my wife’s surgery)- the woman that worked for me with triple the experience called me 18 times in 3 days.

:sever:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm just about to switch my personal cell number because of poo poo like this and have a disposable Goog Voice or similar number for work that I can turn off and on whenever I feel like.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sundae posted:

My long weekend (I took F/M as vacation days) has been a disaster so far. I'm seriously 30+ phone calls from work into it, and it's only Sunday.
Our org forced a new time-accountability system down our throat as covid hit and it's been hilarious watching all my engies accrue days and days of comp, I'm so happy for them. Oh you want me to pick up the phone on the weekend? 15mn. Log in and fix some inane bullshit? 30mn. Hit me again!

Pillowpants posted:

Turn off the phone and ask for a raise. My phone's on 24/7 but I've also made it a rule that if you call me twice for something that's not my problem, lawd help ya.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 13, 2021

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Midjack posted:

I'm just about to switch my personal cell number because of poo poo like this and have a disposable Goog Voice or similar number for work that I can turn off and on whenever I feel like.

This is why my work phone is a company provided phone that is separate from my personal phone.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

This is also me.....The "Demoted Employee" ended up quitting 3 weeks after calling me 18 times in 3 days.

Pillowpants posted:

I need some advice.

I was promoted in February 2020 when my company bought another. My counterpart at the other company was demoted (30% payout) and told to work for me. She was offered a significant severance package if she was willing to stay until September and train her replacement - but she rejected it, hosed everything up for six months - and then quit.

Because I got promoted when Covid hit, my promotion was useless because we were all remote and there was no leadership training.

At the same time they moved my boss out of the department and put in someone with zero experience in the area. When my former boss told me that was happening - our business partner flipped out and and went crazy.

When the demoted employee quit, it was year end and since I work in payroll - the worst time. I expressed concern to some coworkers internally and this same business partner flipped out on me saying she told me not to talk about it (she didn’t.) she tried to get me written up and demoted then.

It was decided we would hire from a staffing agency until we got the right person and I hired the perfect employee.

6 weeks ago, I got my review and I got no raise specifically because of my business partner.

2 weeks ago they told me they were hiring the temp…to replace me and demoting me (but they hadn’t even talked to her yet)

Last week the crazy business partner told me that if I told anyone internal about this I would have big problems.

Usually my recourse here would be to go to my business partner but she’s the problem. I’m just not sure what to do.

I've got a job offer on my plate at a gun company (better pay, hours, cheap guns but its not remote and the insurance is 30% more expensive) - I have to give them an answer tomorrow or Tuesday, but I am also waiting on offers from two other places)

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 13, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

This is why my work phone is a company provided phone that is separate from my personal phone.

Fedgov is a bunch of cheap shits who will never in a million years give you a phone because you might use it to look up directions from your hotel to a restaurant on a trip one time, and that kind of personal use of government property is strictly forbidden! :patriot:

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Midjack posted:

Fedgov is a bunch of cheap shits who will never in a million years give you a phone because you might use it to look up directions from your hotel to a restaurant on a trip one time, and that kind of personal use of government property is strictly forbidden! :patriot:

Plenty of feds have government phones. I have one, and I'm a total nobody at my agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Betazoid posted:

Plenty of feds have government phones. I have one, and I'm a total nobody at my agency.

Guess that's just my little part of it then. They're absolutely insane about "personal use" bullshit.