Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I should be getting it on Tuesday hopefully.

Just have the weekend to get through the anime first.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The demo seemed like it'd be a big improvement on the first, and the anime was cheap as hell but pretty good. I'm curious about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just got to the poison swamp in Undernauts and this is the best gigantic poison swamp in a spooky exploration rpg about a doomed world I think I've ever played. Not aesthetically, but mechanically.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Is anyone looking forward to Blue Reflection: Second Light next week? Not my usual kind of JRPG but I really loved the soundtrack to the first game. Sadly I never ended up buying it due to kinda middling reviews + never going on sale, but if the sequel can pick things up a little then I might end up checking it out.
Sure am. And I'll have like a two-week window to finish it before Endwalker comes out. It's very exciting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Delsaber posted:

I'll push my way through the Matilda gate every single time and no one's gonna stop me

I was thinking more along the lines of "Jowy can hit level 35+ by soloing a 5 enemy group in the sindar ruins, characters in their 50s can solo a 5 highlander enemy fight to hit lvl 99 in a single fight" and "Tir can take someone with a champion rune to Neclord's castle and boost them to level 65+ in a single fight" but the Matilda Gate Glitch is fun too.

Having Jowy solo a fight in the ruins before doing the gate glitch is good too because it means he'll have 4th tier spells to one shot Matilda enemies with, allowing him to supercharge his level even further and then carry everyone else. Then you go recruit Humphrey + Futch and complete their quest (because if you don't you'll soft lock the game later) to unlock them for your party prematurely.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rascyc posted:

It was confirmed to be a global release. To answer another post - it is 100% a gacha game.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/shining-force-heroes-of-light-and-darkness-announced-for-mobile

Still waiting for the global release on this which will probably never come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf54MAqP5jc

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this has gotten mixed reviews but i really love the art and also i must support rpg player character lad's wearing chokers

the combat has not gotten any more interesting compared to the demo, but basically everything else has. i am charmed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well looks like I might get new Blue Reflection early and not even have the weekend to watch the anime lol

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'd be getting the sequel but next week is SMT5 and then there's Endwalker soon, and I still have to beat TWEWY 2, and at some point the Kuro no Kiseki spreadsheet will be done, and

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ragequit posted:

Still waiting for the global release on this which will probably never come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf54MAqP5jc
It looked kind of dead in Japan too.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rascyc posted:

It looked kind of dead in Japan too.

Bummer. Pretty sure the Switch version sold well enough. Hope to see a sequel there at some point.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Well looks like I might get new Blue Reflection early and not even have the weekend to watch the anime lol
Guess you'll just have to do both at the same time. Enjoy your BluRef Blovember.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Looper posted:

the combat has not gotten any more interesting compared to the demo, but basically everything else has. i am charmed

What are the best parts? Are there any possibilities for character builds / party builds?

I know basically nothing about this game but it looks charming. I mostly play RPGs for the story and the characters / character interactions. It's the reason why octopath traveler couldn't grip me, for instance (party seemed really disjointed) and I want to avoid a repeat of that mistake lol.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Barudak posted:

I just got to the poison swamp in Undernauts and this is the best gigantic poison swamp in a spooky exploration rpg about a doomed world I think I've ever played. Not aesthetically, but mechanically.

Tell me more

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a part of me wishes judgement was the one that got turn into a rpg series and yakuza kept being arpg because judgement is the thing that looks like i would be more interested in but i rather suffer through mediocre rpg segments than better arpg segments just because im better suited for the former.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

What are the best parts? Are there any possibilities for character builds / party builds?

I know basically nothing about this game but it looks charming. I mostly play RPGs for the story and the characters / character interactions. It's the reason why octopath traveler couldn't grip me, for instance (party seemed really disjointed) and I want to avoid a repeat of that mistake lol.

the builds are pretty shallow, characters gain new skills as they level up and you can have four equipped at a time. they also gain passive abilities, like the hero recovers a little hp at the end of each battle. numbers are all very low, which is nice, though annoyingly the damage formulas are still a little unclear. different characters also attack in different ways, like your monster buddy does big single hits but the hero makes multiple weaker slices. if you want to explore you will probably end up overleveled

your party isn't like, constantly chatting, but i like them. the hero is a greedy butthead whose only friend is a mute monster. said monster is incredibly chill. they're joined by a mage who is perpetually exasperated by the hero but hates dragons enough to put up with him. the archer is an idiot who loves music but sucks at it and cannot stop getting scammed. she's joining up because her terrible flute playing attracts monsters to her house one night, who accidentally set it on fire. only it's not her house, she's renting, and her landlord cheerfully lets her know she doesn't have fire insurance before handing her a bill. you're also constantly antagonized by the very competent, very beloved, and very haughty party from the demo. everyone is competing to slay a dragon, and the payday is expected to be quite something

it seems like it's probably a fairly short game, i'm in chapter 3 of 7(?). the random map events are fun (a la etrian odyssey, and other stuff i haven't played i'm sure), the art and music are lovely. it's a low key experience certainly, but between this and dungeon encounters, i hope square keeps putting out neat smaller scale rpg projects

Looper fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 4, 2021

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

idk if they're shifting it to judgment but i didn't get why Yakuza wasn't just fine as an ARPG. i want to beat people up!!!!

Judgements covering that it seems. I want them to keep at Yakuza being a turn based rpg. Just like make it better.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

They've said explicitly that Judgment is going to retain the ARPG gameplay and any future yakuza games for the time being will keep being turn-based

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

idk if they're shifting it to judgment but i didn't get why Yakuza wasn't just fine as an ARPG. i want to beat people up!!!!

turn-based Yakuza was an April Fool's gag that was popular enough to become serious

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Judgements covering that it seems. I want them to keep at Yakuza being a turn based rpg. Just like make it better.

:hmmyes:

Make another six games starring Ichiban, all turn-based

Then switch to a new protagonist and a new gameplay genre on schedule, maybe I dunno a cover shooter this time

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

A real-estate management game with a brawler minigame attached.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I picked up Caligula Effect on the cheap and this is Furyu as heck. I'll probably keep going but wow that first dungeon doesn't make the greatest of impressions, having to talk to people three times to do anything with them is bizarre, and I went 'oh no' when I first saw the animation on the MC's finisher move.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SMT5 getting good reviews

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stelas posted:

I picked up Caligula Effect on the cheap and this is Furyu as heck. I'll probably keep going but wow that first dungeon doesn't make the greatest of impressions, having to talk to people three times to do anything with them is bizarre, and I went 'oh no' when I first saw the animation on the MC's finisher move.

The dungeons get worse

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
CE2 is an improvement on 1 in many many ways

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Junpei posted:

CE2 is an improvement on 1 in many many ways

I'd been looking at it and wasn't sure whether I should just jump to it, but CE1 was 15 bucks so I don't feel too put out

Animation aside the battle system's better than the screenshots made it look, it's a nice feeling to get your juggles and punishes all lined up

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Tell me more

Walking through the poison swamp does not also slow you or raise the encounter rate - check
The poison vs not poison is clearly demarcated - check
There are alternate routes not on poison - check
There is an item which removes the effect of poison on you from a map that you kind of set and forget, so the real goal is just finding a clean spot to plant it for each map then continuing - check
The game tells you literally all this so you aren't struggling with the poison unless you are dead set on doing these maps earlier - checkerooney

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Walking through the poison swamp does not also slow you or raise the encounter rate - check
The poison vs not poison is clearly demarcated - check
There are alternate routes not on poison - check
There is an item which removes the effect of poison on you from a map that you kind of set and forget, so the real goal is just finding a clean spot to plant it for each map then continuing - check
The game tells you literally all this so you aren't struggling with the poison unless you are dead set on doing these maps earlier - checkerooney

Well colour me impressed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's the point if it's not a hellish slog

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

this, unironically. makes me LESS interested! :colbert:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bussamove posted:

A real-estate management game with a brawler minigame attached.
No, they said a new gameplay genre.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure Elden Ring will one-up DS3 and have at least four poison swamps

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure Elden Ring will one-up DS3 and have at least four poison swamps

Poison Surfing sequence

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Stelas posted:

just dont bother with any of the npcs imo. the causality link isn't worth engaging with, the game's easy enough you never need anything from it and the npcs themselves start looping the same writing fast. the best way to play caligula effect unironically is to just beeline for the end of every dungeon without wasting too much time on anything else, the game doesn't ever get remotely that hard until like, a couple bosses towards the end, and even those aren't that bad.

the problem with caligula's battle system is that the game has no good way of balancing it, and it's terrible for repeating generic trash fights. the enemy types never diversify that hard so you'll end up repeating the same strategy a lot but you can't set macros so that strategy largely ends up boiling down to auto attacking with maybe using a shield breaker in the instance that an enemy puts one up. it would be a decent combat system if the game had like, a fixed number of fights period, but it wears down on you hard across a whole rear end jrpg and it sticks out compared to some of the previous games the writer's worked on, digital devil saga's combat system can have problems but man it is never as maddeningly mind numbingly slow and repetitive

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

just dont bother with any of the npcs imo. the causality link isn't worth engaging with, the game's easy enough you never need anything from it and the npcs themselves start looping the same writing fast. the best way to play caligula effect unironically is to just beeline for the end of every dungeon without wasting too much time on anything else, the game doesn't ever get remotely that hard until like, a couple bosses towards the end, and even those aren't that bad.

That's fair enough, I'll bear that in mind since the idea was mostly just to play it before CE3. It's kind of a shame because some of the 'initial' personalities hooks seem pretty neat and some of the ways to resolve them absolutely hilarious, and it's a shame they don't really shape up to where they could be, but I kind of expected that going in.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They made 7 of those, isn't that enough

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Amppelix posted:

They made 7 of those, isn't that enough

Given how bad the combat was after all that time, clearly no

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Stelas posted:

That's fair enough, I'll bear that in mind since the idea was mostly just to play it before CE3. It's kind of a shame because some of the 'initial' personalities hooks seem pretty neat and some of the ways to resolve them absolutely hilarious, and it's a shame they don't really shape up to where they could be, but I kind of expected that going in.

100% caligula effect would've been much better off shrinking down the side cast a ton and giving npcs actual personalities and designs. i guess they don't really have the budget for even that though. caligula's writing isn't perfect--some of the stuff added in overdose in particular is a bit clumsy--but at its best i think tadashi satomi is still a great character writer and i legitimately came out liking most if not all of the playable cast, i think he really could write some really weird and fun social links if he ever worked on something structurally closer to persona. really though i'd rather he just work on a bigger variety of different stuff instead of being tied to persona and persona-likes forever, i like dds

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

As an aside, satomi isn't as involved with 2, he's just listed as "story cooperation" there (which I'm told amounted to some suggestions and worldbuilding), and the screenwriter credit is instead held by the director of both games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I really loved Gin, he's such an improvement on Sweet-P in every way possible, they treat him with respect and I'm even told that his 'experience' is common with regards to NB stuff. <- CE2 party member and CE1 villain spoilers