Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

vaccine mandates are stalinist (good)

Drake no: vaccine passports
Drake yes: vaccine gulags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The gulags require a gulag pass.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/bornwithatail_/status/1477307594758885381

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Aside from the mass murdering, is the Express trying to spin the Daffodil supply problem due to Brexit as a EU regulations thing now?
If so, lol.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Out of all the right-wing rags, the Express seems to be the most frothing at the mouth, I am kind of shocked it has an overseas base big enough for an ex-pat edition.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Dravs posted:

Out of all the right-wing rags, the Express seems to be the most frothing at the mouth, I am kind of shocked it has an overseas base big enough for an ex-pat edition.

What sort of people do you think move to Spain?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

happyhippy posted:

Aside from the mass murdering, is the Express trying to spin the Daffodil supply problem due to Brexit as a EU regulations thing now?
If so, lol.

It sounds like a basic safety thing? Like don't stock daffodil bulbs next to food as though they are food because if you do eat one you'll have a very bad time

You would have to be pretty loving stupid to eat a daffodil bulb but (gestures at whole of the UK including switched off monitor)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

namesake posted:

they don't really move to spain, they move to what is basically englandtown

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

the inspiration was

but thank you : )

Joss Laypeg
Oct 11, 2007
A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on. - WSB

Party Boat posted:

You would have to be pretty loving stupid to eat a daffodil bulb but (gestures at whole of the UK including switched off monitor)

this is true (it’s very stupid and we are a very stupid people) but I think the concern is that if you just stick ‘em next to the spring onions then refugees and other people who don’t speak English as a first language will make the not unreasonable assumption that they’re food and won’t kill you

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh yeah it's definitely a sensible thing to do and in fairness the bulbs do look a bit oniony. It costs basically zero effort and might stop someone getting very ill / dying so why not

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Party Boat posted:

Oh yeah it's definitely a sensible thing to do and in fairness the bulbs do look a bit oniony. It costs basically zero effort and might stop someone getting very ill / dying so why not

-BECAUSE IT'S ARE TRADIITION TO PUT THE BULBS - GOOD BRITISH BULBS- IN WITH THE FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S NOT MY BLOODY FAULT IFF SOME FORRINER CARNT READ TEH QUEENS ENGURLISH IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF I WANT TO PUT ARSENIC - GOOD BRITISH ARSENIC - IN THE HOME BAKING AISLE I'LL BLOODY WE LL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bahgawd:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Party Boat posted:

theres some ridiculous story of a court case during the tulip mania when some day labourer accidentally ate one of the tulip bulbs worth tons of ƒƒƒ (or €€€ today) off his masters table because he thought it was an onion, so there is precedence to this

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Street sign or warning?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

namesake posted:

Nobody now lol

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jel Shaker posted:

theres some ridiculous story of a court case during the tulip mania when some day labourer accidentally ate one of the tulip bulbs worth tons of ƒƒƒ (or €€€ today) off his masters table because he thought it was an onion, so there is precedence to this

Tulip bulbs are edible though, I think.

There's some Dutch WWII occupation recipes that use them from what I remember of some obscure article somewhere online.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Very telling, the elision of "gay space"

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Grape posted:

I have actually begun teaching feudalism stuff with mafia comparisons.
Really takes the shinebox I mean shine out of all the chivalry romanticism people get bombarded with about all that nonsense.

Any books on the topic to recommend?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grape posted:

I have actually begun teaching feudalism stuff with mafia comparisons.
Really takes the shinebox I mean shine out of all the chivalry romanticism people get bombarded with about all that nonsense.

Start referring to Charlemagne as "Big Charlie".

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hello from the colonies :canada:

have you all figured out the whole legalization of cannabis thing yet? been trying to think of places to look around at for getting paid more to do nothing and I figure that if I can smoke a joint without being bashed upside the head by the metropolitan police then I can put the homeland on the list

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's not happening for at least a decade but probably longer

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

getting paid more

good luck to you. depending on what you do UK wages can be really poo poo.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jose posted:

Technically you can now get private prescriptions, it's just pretty expensive to start with

Forums weed superstar fuctifino has done so and made me aware of it

E that wont stop the pigs beating on you for it though, but then they can do that more or less at will anyway

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

hello from the colonies :canada:

have you all figured out the whole legalization of cannabis thing yet? been trying to think of places to look around at for getting paid more to do nothing and I figure that if I can smoke a joint without being bashed upside the head by the metropolitan police then I can put the homeland on the list

Lol at you privileged fucks who just choose to live on nightmare island for a laugh

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jose posted:

gently caress

upsidedown posted:

good luck to you. depending on what you do UK wages can be really poo poo.

I'm genuinely unable to fathom both worse wages and a more hosed up housing/rental market and cost of living than being a non-programmer tech guy in Vancouver

Regarde Aduck posted:

Lol at you privileged fucks who just choose to live on nightmare island for a laugh

make no mistake I am not Of Means, I just happen to be in a field where if I put in five to ten years of effort and brown-nosing I might be able to get into a different country for work

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Kazinsal posted:

have you all figured out the whole legalization of cannabis thing yet?

No, our country is ruled by a minority of voters who by and large are copshagging puritans, a media which enables said voters, and psychopaths who pander to voters / media on the basis of "rules only apply to you and not me."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The good news is most of them are going to die in the next decade

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There are some counties like Derbyshire and Durham where the pigs have openly said they aren't going to police cannabis possession because they don't have the resources. However 1. Lots of places do still police it and 2. You still have to get it off a dealer and it's still illegal, so you could end up getting hosed based on the whims of a copper or the government.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

dont move to the uk lmao wtf

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
There is no good reason to move to the UK. There is some good scenery in the top third but if you're in Canada you already have a bunch of lakes and mountains. Anything good about the UK for a tourist can be covered in a two week (if that) holiday.

This is not a place of honour.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
imagine living somewhere weed was legal and then voluntarily moving to a place where they do this

https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1477686167898402819?t=s6sldKDvfQ6yIxfH00W6VQ&s=19

it boggles the mind

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

im going to move to the uk and admire their beautiful night time economy and you cant stop me

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
can you hail a bus (or is it a drone now) if they try to swab you for the sake of the night time economy

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Kazinsal posted:

being a non-programmer tech guy in Vancouver

In all sincerity: have you considered becoming a programmer tech guy? You're probably not as far off as you think especially if you've been cobbling together bash scripts or whatever as part of your non programming work.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

XMNN posted:

imagine living somewhere weed was legal and then voluntarily moving to a place where they do this

https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1477686167898402819?t=s6sldKDvfQ6yIxfH00W6VQ&s=19

it boggles the mind

thank you for the warning I will reserve my UK privileges to visiting only

gonadic io posted:

In all sincerity: have you considered becoming a programmer tech guy? You're probably not as far off as you think especially if you've been cobbling together bash scripts or whatever as part of your non programming work.

honestly? a lot around here wants some magic bullshit degree in comp sci or years equivalent experience to jump ship to that and I specifically got a magic bullshit degree in datacenter network architecture instead so despite my weird bespoke knowledge in kernel level programming as a hobby, from an employment perspective, RIP me

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

do a data science masters and you can move pretty easily

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Kazinsal posted:

thank you for the warning I will reserve my UK privileges to visiting only

honestly? a lot around here wants some magic bullshit degree in comp sci or years equivalent experience to jump ship to that and I specifically got a magic bullshit degree in datacenter network architecture instead so despite my weird bespoke knowledge in kernel level programming as a hobby, from an employment perspective, RIP me

The job market in general for programmers is really quite good right now, I have many self taught colleagues who after self study put together a public portfolio of some interesting projects and used that as their credentials successfully instead. I'm not going to take up more of this thread but it's more possible for sure than you seem to think, if that's what you might want to do. Come hang out in the job/cv thread in yospos for more info.

E: to get back on topic, lol wtf don't move to serf and terf island. I just recently left myself.

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 13:52 on Jan 3, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Seriously, I know Canada is going The Bad Way (like literally everywhere) but it's orders of magnitude better than here. This country is crashing and burning precipitously, it's genuinely shocking how quickly everything is getting worse.

My bud left for Canada a few years ago, came back to visit for christmas, and is climbing the walls already just to get off plague island, he bitterly regrets coming back at all (and he got the plague in all lol)

E also if you're planning on living a few more decades then canada is where you wanna be when climate change really wrecks the planet's poo poo. Airstrip One isn't

Barry Foster has issued a correction as of 14:14 on Jan 3, 2022

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Throwing another recommendation on the pile that if you choose to move to this shithole island without someone sticking a gun in your mouth and ordering you to, you are completely insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I believe NZ holds the title for least fasc anglo nation, I moved to Ireland which is not expecially fasc but is certainly extremely neoliberal unfortunately