Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i feel like my display shouldnt be doing this at random

when this happens I gotta power it down and when it turn it back on it's ok
I'm wondering if it's something power related like the gpu not grounded or smth??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Boner Wad posted:

I'm not tied to ultrawide. Any 4k options I should consider?

What Dr Video Games 0031 said, but also as a general point of reference : right now is the time of year when all the new monitors get announced. This year seems to have a particularly desirable crop. How long you're willing to wait and how much you're willing to spend will help you decide if you should wait or get something now or maybe even both.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Was that stupid thing designed by the chiropractor lobby? Holy loving neck strain.

No, the stupid thing designed by the chiropractor lobby was chiropracty.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Have an odd question, but could someone share where the serial number is on LG (specifically UltraGear) monitor boxes? I've looked up pictures, watched a few unboxings, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Are they shipped/sold without including it on the box itself?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

On the monitor it's usually right below the mount. On the cardboard box it's on the right, at least on the one I just checked.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 6, 2022

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ah, I think I found it browsing Open Box listings on eBay. It's a little sticker that they slap on there.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I have a 34" ultrawide in portrait to my right and yeah the top third is where windows i need to glance at every 15 minutes go to die

A 34" in portrait? Woah. Can you post a photo of that setup?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Wibla posted:

A 34" in portrait? Woah. Can you post a photo of that setup?

34" was my primary monitor for awhile but I didnt like it, so replaced it with a 27" and had the 34 in landscape to my right, but that right half was just useless so put it portrait and added another 27 to the left that I'll switch to portrait and split depending on workload.

I had the 34 above the center 27" for like 3 days and boy that was just excruciating to use.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

What's the deal with monitor recycling. I just paid BestBuy 60 bucks to recycle two lcd monitors. Posting here out of protest and great shame for my deeds.

In EU it is mandatory for retailers to take ewaste. So you can just bring it in for free*.

*They get the money from higher prices.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Figure since this is the monitor thread it's probably relevant.

I just built a new computer with Win11. Unlike my old computer, where I could play a youtube video in the background, minimize the windows and let the computer shut off the monitors automatically, with any audio playing the screens simply won't turn off. I've already set the power settings to turn off monitors after 1 hour (disabled sleep mode though because I have programs running that I don't want sleep disrupting), but when I check powercfg -requests it shows the browser executable as being something preventing the screens from sleeping. This wasn't the case in windows 10 - is there some setting I'm missing or did Microsoft decide it was a good "feature" to prevent screens from turning off with audio on? Tinnitus sucks so I need white noise to sleep or else I go insane

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The man hisself, Vinny T, got to see the alienware QD-OLED and sounds pretty impressed. Dell doing a 3 year warranty with burn in coverage seems pretty confident. The thing is gonna be a trillion dollars, but i hope the tech shows up on 27in 1440p/4k flatties soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSyooKEN4Mg

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Shipon posted:

Figure since this is the monitor thread it's probably relevant.

I just built a new computer with Win11. Unlike my old computer, where I could play a youtube video in the background, minimize the windows and let the computer shut off the monitors automatically, with any audio playing the screens simply won't turn off. I've already set the power settings to turn off monitors after 1 hour (disabled sleep mode though because I have programs running that I don't want sleep disrupting), but when I check powercfg -requests it shows the browser executable as being something preventing the screens from sleeping. This wasn't the case in windows 10 - is there some setting I'm missing or did Microsoft decide it was a good "feature" to prevent screens from turning off with audio on? Tinnitus sucks so I need white noise to sleep or else I go insane

IDK, but out of curiosity, what happens if you lock the machine (Winkey+L)?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So this is the dumbest poo poo but it's a) thread relevant, b) funny enough I busted out laughing when I figured it out. So I've been having issues with my PC for the past month or so booting up slowly; my usual BIOS startup time was sub 10 seconds, then all of a sudden it crept up to 26+ seconds with no explanation. I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure it out right up until I tried disconnecting my new M27Q and it started up instantly.

It's the goddamn KVM hub. It's waiting for the GPU to "wake up" because it's only connected through there, then waiting for that to wake the monitor, then initializing all the USB devices on the KVM hub that I don't even use. Because all the USB devices have to initialize as part of the boot process. This is dumb and I'm glad I figured it out. Now how do I disable the KVM hub entirely so this stops happening to me?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

So this is the dumbest poo poo but it's a) thread relevant, b) funny enough I busted out laughing when I figured it out. So I've been having issues with my PC for the past month or so booting up slowly; my usual BIOS startup time was sub 10 seconds, then all of a sudden it crept up to 26+ seconds with no explanation. I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure it out right up until I tried disconnecting my new M27Q and it started up instantly.

It's the goddamn KVM hub. It's waiting for the GPU to "wake up" because it's only connected through there, then waiting for that to wake the monitor, then initializing all the USB devices on the KVM hub that I don't even use. Because all the USB devices have to initialize as part of the boot process. This is dumb and I'm glad I figured it out. Now how do I disable the KVM hub entirely so this stops happening to me?

Just use different usb ports?

I have the m32u with that KVM in use and my boots are normal. Win 10, mouse/kB/microphone into the KVM.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

VelociBacon posted:

Just use different usb ports?

I have the m32u with that KVM in use and my boots are normal. Win 10, mouse/kB/microphone into the KVM.

None of them are in use - that's the thing. The only things connected to the monitor are the power cable and the DisplayPort cable. I've been using DP since this computer was built, so that's not the issue.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Now how do I disable the KVM hub entirely so this stops happening to me?

Fire up ControlMyMonitor and see if there is a flag for it that you can disable maybe.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

TheDK posted:

Fire up ControlMyMonitor and see if there is a flag for it that you can disable maybe.

Please report back if you do, I'd like to try disabling it on mine as well in case that's what prevents my PC from booting entirely when it's plugged in (probably due to some weird incompatibility with the old hardware).

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TheDK posted:

Looks like this is all the flags.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

my dad suddenly called me and he said he's thinking of buying "an expensive dell" for his photography hobby and i feel like that is a Bad Idea based on what feels like No Research

what's the pro buy right now for a photography based monitor? 4k would be nice, and i think the it should have 100% Adobe RGB (i think that's the term)

not too familiar with monitor specs for photography specifically so not sure what's good, just want to make sure that dad doesn't buy a dud.

offhand i think benq and asus would be good brands. not sure if lg has a photography based monitor though i do love them. not opposed to dell either, so long as he gets the correct good one and not just any expensive one

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I regret to report that the more time I spend thinking about that Alienware OLED ultrawide, the more I want to drop a stupid amount of money on one the moment it comes out. I know this is a stupid idea, but man...

Artelier posted:

my dad suddenly called me and he said he's thinking of buying "an expensive dell" for his photography hobby and i feel like that is a Bad Idea based on what feels like No Research

what's the pro buy right now for a photography based monitor? 4k would be nice, and i think the it should have 100% Adobe RGB (i think that's the term)

not too familiar with monitor specs for photography specifically so not sure what's good, just want to make sure that dad doesn't buy a dud.

offhand i think benq and asus would be good brands. not sure if lg has a photography based monitor though i do love them. not opposed to dell either, so long as he gets the correct good one and not just any expensive one

I'm not a photo person, so someone else should chime in, but I feel like getting a non-professional monitor with full adobe RGB coverage and then using a colorimeter to generate a software calibration profile is the "good enough for a hobbyist" route that costs a fraction of what a professional monitor costs (especially if you borrow/rent your colorimeter). The Gigabyte M27Q may be a gaming monitor, but it's also $300 and has 97% adobe RGB coverage.

If your dad wants to go full professional mode anyway, then I'd lean Asus. For all the garbage they make, Dell's monitors are actually pretty good. But Asus' PA329C seems like a better value than BenQ's and Dell's offerings. You will need a separate colorimeter to calibrate it though.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Artelier posted:

Adobe RGB coverage is important if he's working with print, yeah. If he works exclusively with digital then it should be sRGB or have a good sRGB mode. The Gigabyte M27Q is as stated one of the best options for Adobe RGB, although it's not 4K. Rtings.com has some other suggestions as well, but no matter what you choose a calibration tool should also be included in the budget if you care enough to buy a new monitor just for photo editing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Note that the S2721QS has a bit of an iffy reputation despite RTings liking it. There are complaints about the panel having poor color uniformity/mediocre viewing angles.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I'm just gonna wait until there is something >32" but < 48" with mini-led and 4k that can do at least 120Hz.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 7, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheFluff posted:

Adobe RGB coverage is important if he's working with print, yeah. If he works exclusively with digital then it should be sRGB or have a good sRGB mode. The Gigabyte M27Q is as stated one of the best options for Adobe RGB, although it's not 4K. Rtings.com has some other suggestions as well, but no matter what you choose a calibration tool should also be included in the budget if you care enough to buy a new monitor just for photo editing.

RTINGS' coverage of applicable monitors is pretty lacking here since they tend not to review professional monitors. I'm not sure where to go to find that kind of review coverage, to be honest. Usually I dismiss user reviews, but I think reviews of high-end professional-grade products at sites like B&H Photo should give at least a decent indicator of whether a particular model is a dud or not, since the customers there tend to know what they're doing more than your average amazon or newegg customer.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks everyone! Managed to get my dad to consider the Asus ProArt PA329, which seems great for his use case.

Really happy he didn't pull the trigger on his undefined, more expensive Dell monitor...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I mean Dell in general is extremely well regarded in the monitor space; it probably wouldn’t have been a bad purchase.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

K8.0 posted:

DP OUT? DP chaining is kind of a dead/very limiting thing. Assuming you mean DP in, you're looking at the standard 27" 1440p 144hz+ Freesync monitors.

There's the LG 27GP850, and its slightly inferior budget clone the 27GP83B. Personally I'd be looking at that Amazon Warehouse $346 deal, it'd be a returned monitor that probably has nothing wrong with it. There's also the Dell S2721DGF which is very similar. The main downside to these LG gaming panel monitors is that they have relatively quite poor contrast, i.e. blacks are even less black than other LCDs, especially if you want to run really high brightness in a dark environment for some reason. As an alternative, consider the Gigabyte M27Q, which is cheaper, performs nearly as well, and has somewhat better contrast, but has BGR subpixels. That means that you will need to run the Cleartype calibrator for this monitor and anything that does text on its down and ignores Cleartype settings (most notably Chrome UI elements) will have messed up subpixel antialiasing that makes them look a bit fringy. It's up to you how much you expect to care about that, most people seem to be fine with it. There's also the MSI Mag274QRF-QD, which is overall very nice and mostly better than the LG monitors, but even with the BIOS update that supposedly fixes the sRGB mode, some people have color saturation issues. That might be the least noticeable of all these downsides to the average person, though. Again, personally I'd be looking at Amazon Warehouse deals for any monitor you're buying off Amazon unless you're in a supreme rush to be done with it, since you can always return them if there is any problem.

Regardless of what you get, when you're done go to this post and follow the instructions there to get it set up properly.

Chiming back in to say an incredible thank you. I took your advice, ran it past a friends who know my space/game habits, and wound up going with the LG, and did the Amazon warehouse version (and saved nearly $150). I got an AMD card and enabled freesync through the radeon software. Looks like it may be less annoying than the nVidia shenanigans in that set-up post you linked me. Again, thanks dude/dudette/dudorpoise

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I regret to report that the more time I spend thinking about that Alienware OLED ultrawide, the more I want to drop a stupid amount of money on one the moment it comes out. I know this is a stupid idea, but man...

same. i got an lg c1 this fall as my first oled tv, and now i demand that contrast and response time on my ultrawide

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I have three Dell 25" 1440 monitors (U2515H) which I bought six years ago and I've recently got a Mac Mini and am in need of another monitor(s) for that. What's bizarre is that 25" 1440 monitors seem to be more expensive and more obscure than they were six years ago, otherwise I would have just replaced them with the exact same sort of thing. Even the exact same monitor. They've been perfect.

I love the size and clarity of text on my current monitors, and how crisp media looks. I don't do any gaming. If I get a 4k 27" or 28" is that going to look the most similar, or should I persevere in looking for a 25" 1440?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ravel posted:

I have three Dell 25" 1440 monitors (U2515H) which I bought six years ago and I've recently got a Mac Mini and am in need of another monitor(s) for that. What's bizarre is that 25" 1440 monitors seem to be more expensive and more obscure than they were six years ago, otherwise I would have just replaced them with the exact same sort of thing. Even the exact same monitor. They've been perfect.

I love the size and clarity of text on my current monitors, and how crisp media looks. I don't do any gaming. If I get a 4k 27" or 28" is that going to look the most similar, or should I persevere in looking for a 25" 1440?

4K 27" has 39% more pixel density than 25" 1440p. At 4K 28", that's 34% more. That said, I've heard that display scaling on MacOS is quite good, and you should be able to scale a 4K monitor to have the text and UI size you desire, and it'll look a lot more crisp due to the extra resolution. So I think you're better off going that route than trying to find an obscure 25" 1440p display. Most monitor manufacturers have moved on to bigger sizes for resolutions higher than 1080p.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

4K 27in would have a significantly higher PPI (163 vs 117), so that would probably do you well if you enjoy the extra crispness. If you have a store around like a Best Buy or Microcenter, I would suggest going and looking at the panels and seeing if you like em before cross shopping online. Monitors are a bit subjective, but there are lots of 1440p/4K options which you might like. IPS has come a long way in the last few years, but most of the improvements have been gaming focused honestly.

efb

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

K8.0 posted:

IDK, but out of curiosity, what happens if you lock the machine (Winkey+L)?

Figured out the issue. Locking the machine wasn't working at first either but apparently when I unplugged my USB rudder pedals for flight sims, the screens started turning off. Weird that they didn't do that on my previous build but do it again now, but I guess i'll just have to unplug those when I'm not playing FS

Nice to see that Windows 11 fixed the annoying multi-monitor displayport sleep bug finally

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

LG also announced some wackadoodle 27.6" 16:18 display. Seems like it could be good for programmers? Not sure what to make of it.

This is highly intriguing. I was considering getting an ancient 4:3 LCD as a second vertical monitor because 16:9 is ridiculously tall and narrow oriented vertically.

I'm slightly puzzled that they didn't go with an actually square resolution or something closer to paper ratio (4:3 is close enough for letter), but I suppose stapling two 21" 1440p monitors together is more economical.

I thought more details were supposed to be announced at CES but I don't see anything in the news. If it's wildly overpriced then I'll be much less interested.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

eXXon posted:

This is highly intriguing. I was considering getting an ancient 4:3 LCD as a second vertical monitor because 16:9 is ridiculously tall and narrow oriented vertically.

I'm slightly puzzled that they didn't go with an actually square resolution or something closer to paper ratio (4:3 is close enough for letter), but I suppose stapling two 21" 1440p monitors together is more economical.

I thought more details were supposed to be announced at CES but I don't see anything in the news. If it's wildly overpriced then I'll be much less interested.

They did exhibit it at CES, but they didn't actually give any further details. No word yet on price or release date.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

So I think you're better off going that route than trying to find an obscure 25" 1440p display. Most monitor manufacturers have moved on to bigger sizes for resolutions higher than 1080p.

Cygni posted:

4K 27in would have a significantly higher PPI (163 vs 117), so that would probably do you well if you enjoy the extra crispness.

Thanks for the advice!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

I've got 2 34" ultrawides and a 24" 4K IPS display and selling all of them would probably offset the cost enough that paying $3k for it seems less crazy (never mind that my own dang living room OLED is half the price of said monitor despite spending 10x more time at the computer than at that TV).

What's not clear to me are the differences between the Sony QD-OLED TV and the Alienware QD-OLED besides the obvious factors of G-Sync module, ultrawide, and inputs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

I've got 2 34" ultrawides and a 24" 4K IPS display and selling all of them would probably offset the cost enough that paying $3k for it seems less crazy (never mind that my own dang living room OLED is half the price of said monitor despite spending 10x more time at the computer than at that TV).

What's not clear to me are the differences between the Sony QD-OLED TV and the Alienware QD-OLED besides the obvious factors of G-Sync module, ultrawide, and inputs.

I mean, one's a TV and the other's a monitor. The TV will come equipped with image processing features and smart TV stuff like all TVs. The monitor will just be a monitor, with image processing being handled by the device it's connected to. Sony's TV will come with a heatsink to improve max brightness and panel endurance just like with their W-OLED TVs (this is still a big deal even with QD-OLED). I don't think Dell has spoken much about what features the Alienware monitor may have beyond the panel basics, but I'd expect them to use some form of cooling too, maybe even active cooling. The monitor design looks beefy enough to support that.

Sony's TV will supposedly support HDMI 2.1 VRR out of the box, which Nvidia cards support (but not AMD!). So they won't have a disadvantage there. With game mode enabled on the TV (disables most image processing), they will likely be very similar aside from their form factors.

Expect the TVs to be extremely expensive as well, rumors from the South Korean media say up to 10 million Won (~$8350 USD). It may be cheaper in the US (most electronics are), but you're not likely to be able to get a better deal by buying the TV instead. This is the first generation of a new panel type, and you'll have to wait a while for it to come down in price. This should happen sooner than it did with W-OLED though, since the manufacturing process is theoretically easier. It just hasn't been refined or scaled up yet.

edit: Maybe the Alienware's cooling won't be great, looking at the images again. A lot of the bulk is in the empty IO area, and then the area above that will mostly be electronics, it seems like. So maybe no fancy heatsink, in which case the Sony TV will have a brightness advantage. It's a shame, because a heatsink would've theoretically further reduced burn-in risk as well. The upshot, which I forgot about, is that the Alienware will be 175hz instead of the TV's max of 144hz. I really wish they could've gotten to 180hz, but that's still an improvement.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 10, 2022

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
is there a good solution for playing games in a 16:9 resolution on an ultra-widescreen that doesn't a) stretch to fill the whole screen, or b) force you to play in windowed?

a friend of mine just got an odyssey g9 and there are some things he's playing that for some reason or another (old, doesn't run good on his 1070) would be better off playing 16:9 pillarboxed but apparently you just can't do it? you either have to put a window on your desktop, or stretch it? i actually can't believe this is something that isn't just implemented in the drivers.

he says the g9 has a "screen size" control in the OSD that does what he wants but it won't work when adaptive sync is turned on. like.. why? is this just the way it is? you need an actual monitor hardware switch for this very basic thing? that's how my first 16:9 LCD monitor in 2006 dealt with 4:3, is that really still the best we can do?

i got a 38" ultrawide myself recently but haven't really played anything since i got it, just a few things that natively support 21:9. if i can't play my beloved boomer poo poo except in a window that's kind of disappointing.

the nucas fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 12, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This is definitely something that is implemented in the drivers. Go into the Nvidia Control Panel, go to the "adjust desktop size and position" tab, set the scaling mode to "aspect ratio" or "no scaling," select "perform scaling on GPU," and then "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs," then click apply. This should pillarbox the the screen when you enter into full screen mode on a game set to 2560x1440. The game has to support custom resolutions though, and one annoying thing I've noticed lately is that not all games these days do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So around Black Friday, I did a bunch of research into 32" Gaming 4K displays, and settled on the MSI MPG321UR-QD which was a Black Friday special around $650, which was something like $100 under the second best price I could find. Immediately went to backorder.

About a month later, B&H cancelled the backorder, and as far as I can tell, MSI no longer makes this monitor at all.

I still have an eye out for a 32" 4K gaming display, and wondering if anything interesting came out of CES that might be worth waiting for, or it's relatively the same market as in November. I was scrolling a couple pages back but could not find much info, other than supposedly we're getting a slew of $2.5K monitors in the near future.