Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think the Sphere Grid is cool and good conceptually and the problem is mostly that the leveling rate is too slow and grindy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Chrono Trigger in HD-2D would be way better than Live A Live.

Idk much about Live a Live but it seems like it’s much cooler than Chrono Trigger. poo poo, to be entirely honest it seems like it’s a cooler version ofTrigger cause you’re time period hopping anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Sphere Grid is perfectly fine for the first 95% of the game everybody plays and the exploits to get x99 sphere levels are very well-known.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Last Celebration posted:

Idk much about Live a Live but it seems like it’s much cooler than Chrono Trigger. poo poo, to be entirely honest it seems like it’s a cooler version ofTrigger cause you’re time period hopping anyway.

It seems like Octopath but shorter and probably even more disconnected.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'm very glad there's nothing showing you using Blades. I hated the gacha system and it's why I doubt I'll ever replay 2.

Now the Switch just needs X so it has the best Xenoblade game.

Honestly really surprised we're getting another Xenoblade game already, but I'll gladly take it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Chrono Trigger in HD-2D would be way better than Live A Live.

No

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Shyfted One posted:

I'm very glad there's nothing showing you using Blades. I hated the gacha system and it's why I doubt I'll ever replay 2.

Yeah it looks like blades exist as a concept (two of the revealed party members seem to be them) but they got rid of the whole pairing concept which is for the best.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

It's more or less totally disconnected: a short story anthology of different game concepts Squaresoft had, all built in the same tactical RPG no matter how ill-fitting this is. For example, one of them is a one-on-one fighting game with a Megaman style fight-select screen/abilities from each boss, one is a single stealth mission, one is a visual novel in which combat only takes place in the context of an in-universe puzzle arcade game. Very strong "checking out random demos on an RPG Maker site" vibes, by which I mean it's great and I love it but you should know that you're getting something weird and clumsy before you get it!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Tactics Ogre was spoken of earlier, but what other games have the most asinine leveling systems?

FF2, of course. But also those Yakuza games where you have 5 types of experience, and you can break the difficulty in the first chapter by binge-eating, then end up with a growing sack of EXP with nothing to buy. I spent 20 minutes in front of a vending-machine just drinking everything on offer instead of visiting my comatose daughter. It was a missed oppurtunity that there was no "pissing in a urinal" minigame given the pedigree.

FFX's sphere-grid is slow and cumbersome, and a grinding nightmare for anyone who wants to fight the optional bosses.

So are you being sarcastic here, because I wouldn’t blame you for knowing there IS a pissing minigame in one of those games…

I’m not gonna be presumptuous enough to speak for everyone but I’d have been happier if Octopath just nutted up and committed to being a conventional JRPG or even more disconnected so I can’t complain.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

DNE posted:

Very strong "checking out random demos on an RPG Maker site" vibes, by which I mean it's great and I love it but you should know that you're getting something weird and clumsy before you get it!

This feels unfair. The chapters are all deliberately different in structure as well as setting. It's definitely a unique game, and if you want to call that weird, ok, sure, but I don't think it's particularly clumsy.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

This feels unfair. The chapters are all deliberately different in structure as well as setting. It's definitely a unique game, and if you want to call that weird, ok, sure, but I don't think it's particularly clumsy.

That's a reasonable take too!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The charm to Live A Live is because all the chapters vary wildly in tone and gameplay. Like, it's super cool that there's chapters like the old west and far future chapters that have little to no combat at all, to the ninja chapter that's a single, big, nonlinear puzzle dungeon, to the modern chapter that's a street fighter/mega man chapter where you fight bosses in any order and steal their moves.

Also I think Live A Live is way cooler than Chrono Trigger and would take this over CT any day fite me irl

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Live a Live owns. It’s basically a SAGA game but actually good?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DrManiac posted:

Live a Live owns. It’s basically a SAGA game but actually good?

SaGa but actually good, is just SaGa

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i also say this cause in general square enix seems to, really, really love cutting localization costs on old games. og trials of mana only got localized cause the remake's script is so identical that they could just use the same script for both and despite ff7 very, very, very, very, very, very desperately needing a retranslation they, have not given it anything even approaching that, in any rerelease, for the past decade. saga frontier is like. the extreme outlier among a lot of these cheaper remasters of smaller titles for how much it does add writing-wise

huh i swear there was at least a touchup that got rid of egregious but iconic stuff like "this guy are sick", did i imagine that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CYBEReris posted:

huh i swear there was at least a touchup that got rid of egregious but iconic stuff like "this guy are sick"

there was... for the very initial pc port. it fixed a couple lines in midgar. it made other lines even further mistranslated.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Note that 'initial PC port' means the old 1998 Eidos port. Everything after that is unchanged.

https://thelifestream.net/ffvii-the-original/ffvii-version-guide/ps-english-versus-pc-english/

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Okay I'm gonna get that CC remaster and if/when they announce a remake I will come in here and get Very Cross at all y'all.

I mean if I actually get around to buying and playing it. My backlog is ever growing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't know at what point the FFX sphere grid gets better but for the first 10 hours of the game all I'm doing is following pre-determined paths. The beastman is the first person to jump to another characters sphere grid but the guide I checked said he's not good for taking str or magic so just have him follow Rikku's specifically to steal things.

I still haven't spent a single purple sphere to change a node as it seems like a major decision, but at some point I'll probably get bored and put them all on Tidus' path or something.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
that's basically the vanilla sphere grid. another pro strat besides thief kimahri is sending yuna into auron's path because her summons' stats are based on her own

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
As a dumb kid, Kimahri felt so useless to me that the only use he had was suicide bombing the boss.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

poe meater posted:

As a dumb kid, Kimahri felt so useless to me that the only use he had was suicide bombing the boss.

Correct use

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The newest demo for Triangle Strategy has a major branching point at the end of chapter 2 and chapter 3 is the first foray into the branch of your choice. Just like tactics ogre, it seems you get into a major choice pretty early on.

I looked at the last demo, and that's clearly deep into a branch I didn't take.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Last Celebration posted:

Tactics Ogre’s leveling system is pretty inexplicably godawful yeah. I can’t decide if the worst part is the skill system that’s also kinda grindy and keeps you from just making a newly bought recruit into X class or the fact that equipment is level gated too which makes new people even more dead weight. It sucks cause it’s a very well presented game, and the idea of having class levels isn’t fundamentally flawed if you don’t make basic mistakes, but yeah. Part of me genuinely wonders if Matsuno actually plays the games he makes.

I would honestly take the PSX leveling system over the remake's. Everyone levels on their own and if you want to grind XP oyu either go find random fights or you just make two teams of your own characters spar. If you want to power level you can have two unarmed clerics/exorcists beat on each other while you do something else for an hour or two, then have the rest of your roster beat up on that character for the high xp gains.

PSP Tactics Ogre has so much insanely bloated stuff that if they did a remake they'd need to streamline a bunch of it because gently caress spending literally 500+ hours to 100% the game solely due to RNG bullshit and their tediously bad crafting system.

Looper posted:

new recruits are gonna be missing tarot card stat bonuses and skill levels anyway

And this won't matter late in the game because as soon as you get your hands on Warrior equipment (in the PSX version) you can train up new recruits with a ton of LUCK and that alone will more than make up for other stats being lower. Story characters also came with better stats than generic recruits (since IIRC the game leveled story characters in their respective class starting from level 1). Then you grab animate+retissue and just snap(dragon) the game over your knee completely.

In the PSP version I don't think you'd bother with generics at the late/post game either.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I'm playing Tactics Ogre PSP now and I badly miss the option to just do practice battles with my team against themselves. And yeah, I'm in chapter 4 and starting to get the story characters on my team, and there's not a ton of reason to use generics anymore, especially if it's a generic that's spent most of their time in a class covered by a story character, since their stats seem to be sort of tilted towards whatever their "canon" class is. I basically benched my Swordsman when I got the blind guy because his base stats are just better.

It also has the same problem as FFT, where if you want to use story characters you may as well just permanently bench a generic for each one, because otherwise you're chasing your tail trying to keep everyone equipped and supplied in spells, otherwise they become dead weight. And in TO it's even a bit more crucial to use story characters than in FFT since you recruit a lot of characters by using other story characters in battle (or just having them on your roster), plus there's a lot of extra little dialogue that comes up in battles if you bring in story characters. It feels like the leveling-by-class system was added to mitigate the pain of your generic characters getting outpaced, because well even if I spent X amount of hours leveling up a berserker, at least those levels haven't gone to waste if I exclusively use Xapan once I get him.

It's a game with a lot to like, but also a ton of design decisions that don't feel bad so much as just well-meaning but poorly conceived. Except yeah, crafting blows and I just cheated that poo poo because it wasn't worth beating my head on that particular wall. Also I may just be bad at the game but I felt like the improved equipment from crafting was less a perk than a necessity, given the pace the game doles out new equipment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Speaking of leveling systems, I've been kinda checking out Pokemon Arceus videos and looking at the new stuff going on there.

What's your first encounter with a game that does a full-party experience system where even people you're not playing get EXP? I assume it's always been a Tales of staple but I've only played Symphonia as the earliest and the closest thing I've played to a retro game somewhat recently is Disgaea 1 and I know that's not the genre of game that would do that kind of exp system in the first place.

Just thinking about it since I can't stop rolling my eyes about people talking about the Pokemon games being easy like that's a betrayal of the series or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shyfted One posted:

Honestly really surprised we're getting another Xenoblade game already, but I'll gladly take it.
Why? XB2 sold really well and has a pretty big fanbase.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

Why? XB2 sold really well and has a pretty big fanbase.

Still, Xenoblade has a weird history of sales/availability. I ended up buying a PAL version of XB1 for the Wii because I couldn't find a US copy before realizing it wouldn't work. Then eventually someone had US copies to sell and they sold out super fast. XB1 was extremely hard to find around 2011 or so.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A lot of people don't seem to be aware, but monolith is pretty much propping anything involving 3d open world including Breath of the Wild. They're the most hands-on 1st party nintendo company on basically anything that's not 2d.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Looper posted:

that's basically the vanilla sphere grid. another pro strat besides thief kimahri is sending yuna into auron's path because her summons' stats are based on her own

i always go straight through yunas cause having holy for yunalesca is real nice

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

Still, Xenoblade has a weird history of sales/availability. I ended up buying a PAL version of XB1 for the Wii because I couldn't find a US copy before realizing it wouldn't work. Then eventually someone had US copies to sell and they sold out super fast. XB1 was extremely hard to find around 2011 or so.
i mean xb1 only got released in the us because people begged nintendo to, xb2 had no such issues.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pentyne posted:

The way they released XB1 in NA was always gonna make it sell poorly there because it was released as a Gamestop exclusive with limited availability about half a year before the Wii U came out ie when the Wii was pretty much done for wrt games.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If Octopath was structured more like Live A Live it would solve most of its problems imo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i died in king's field 2

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

The Colonel posted:

i died in king's field 2

it'll happen again, probably

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4LrhEer6aw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which one starts you off on a thin bridge over a death pit that you're 99% likely to fall off of figuring out the controls?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

That's Shadow Tower, but a couple others also start you one step from death

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

lets hang out posted:

That's Shadow Tower, but a couple others also start you one step from death

There's one where you start right next to invisible lava pits or something. That's one of the Shadow Tower's, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
That's the ps2 king's field.
From really enjoyed them some instant death.