Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

I know about Mariupol. Never got the chance to go there tho.

25k though, my brain just doesnt register that I cant believe it

Russia may have added another thousand to the total - they just bombed a theater where that many people were sheltering.

Switzerland going full not-Switzerland
https://twitter.com/ColibasanuAnto/status/1504142245477457921?t=u3napj1YmRUC4KWdJY_5vw&s=19

This econ man (chief economist at IIF) thinks China's getting hit hard by their perceived alignment with Russia
https://twitter.com/RobinBrooksIIF/status/1504102841446764548?t=SolcQnbmUOKRcugmYW2pbQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/RobinBrooksIIF/status/1504136652192731139?t=zYY-pQ_w5NnDqdBIGxW82g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

drat, almost seems like this guy is posting dumb poo poo to bask in the negative attention. But would someone really do that, on the internet?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Biden sending the store to Ukraine, and likely coordinating with other countries to send more
https://twitter.com/evanhill/status/1504148036834021381?t=d0_C_Y2Gj6lX8d0hqOt4jA&s=19
Article: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-commit-new-military-aid-ukraine-zelenskyy-plea-us-support-rcna20257

Drones might be the same ones we were discussing yesterday. I hope so at least. gently caress em up.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Trump posted:

Biden is being very general in what exactly they are sending. But if it's 9000 Javelin missiles, whoa nelly :smaugstare:
Here's a breakdown
https://twitter.com/vmsalama/status/1504148204761321476

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FishBulbia posted:

The question is if it can get there. That strike by Lviv was meant to send a message that western aid is not going to be viewed as benign.

If Russia could stop this they would have already. Russia shot over twenty long range missiles at lviv and more than half were shot down. With the old anti-air setup, not the incoming new stuff.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Still quite shocking that Ukraine is managing attrition warfare so well. 17 Russian choppers off the board in 14 hours!

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1504099997847011331?cxt=HHwWhoCy5dO-0d8pAAAA

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

100 armed drones.

Is this due to a perceived alignment with Russia, or due to investors looking at the rest of the world and asking “who else could be sanctioned into dust for launching a war of conquest against a western backed nation?”

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:eyepop:

Hell yes. How long would stuff like this take to get to Ukraine if it were coming from the US?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

Russia apparently moving in Armenians, Ossetians and Abkahzians now. In addition to the Wagner nazis, Syrian mercs and Kadyrovites.

Russia is suffering casualties but the reason for those losses seems to be logistics, training and morale. Not obvious how more people will resolve it. The question is if Russia is straight up out of non-conscript forces or Putin wants to minimize casualties in the regular forces for the sake of public opinion.

Nah, that's just something out of the good ol' USSR playbook; send the youth of your client and satellite states at the enemy, while Russians get to stay home. Personally I was more surprised that the initial invasion was done with Russian-only troops.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Hell yes. How long would stuff like this take to get to Ukraine if it were coming from the US?

Some (all) of it could very well already be pre-positioned in Europe and just need to be released.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Somehow the first ten times I read that PeterSchiff tweet I missed the “President of the Ukraine”… :rolleyes:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

the popes toes posted:

Still quite shocking that Ukraine is managing attrition warfare so well. 17 Russian choppers off the board in 14 hours!

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1504099997847011331?cxt=HHwWhoCy5dO-0d8pAAAA

Holy poo poo Dean Norris is in the Ukrainian military!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

FishBulbia posted:

You're still misinterpreting. Any deal at this point would likely require Ukraine acknowledging Crimea as part of Russia. Something the Poroshenko crowd would see as a "stab in the back" even if its essentially a victory considering Putin's original aims.

Yeah, absolutely. I was just wondering what the guys who want Crimea back as Ukraine are thinking they would do with it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

100 armed drones.

Is this due to a perceived alignment with Russia, or due to investors looking at the rest of the world and asking “who else could be sanctioned into dust for launching a war of conquest against a western backed nation?”

I would imagine the latter more than the former. China might not be able to thread the needle so well with sanctions if its current level of involvement with the Russian economy starts triggering cutoffs for Chinese business activities with western countries. (The west is more economically important to China for now.)

That being said, some long term investors might be more cagey than they used to be about Xi's recent power consolidations. His grip on China is getting pretty Putin-like, but for now, he's been more of a "rational" actor.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Re: Mariupol' civilian death count, needless to say civilians are dying to bombings every day. It's best to ignore any numbers, 25k is unimaginable. For reference 1939 Stalingrad had a population nearly identical to 2022 Maripol' (~450k) and ~40k civilians died at Stalingrad during the 5 month seige in 1941-1942. Has there been an estimate of how many civilians are currently in Mariupol'?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Owling Howl posted:

Russia apparently moving in Armenians, Ossetians and Abkahzians now. In addition to the Wagner nazis, Syrian mercs and Kadyrovites.

Russia is suffering casualties but the reason for those losses seems to be logistics, training and morale. Not obvious how more people will resolve it. The question is if Russia is straight up out of non-conscript forces or Putin wants to minimize casualties in the regular forces for the sake of public opinion.

Russia is probably out of non conscript forces at this point, yes. They sent everything they had to spare right at the start and a lot of those people are sunflower fertilizer now.

A number of analysts are pointing out that Ukrainian soldiers almost certainly outnumber Russian ones right now in terms of boots on the ground in Ukraine.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

I would imagine the latter more than the former. China might not be able to thread the needle so well with sanctions if its current level of involvement with the Russian economy starts triggering cutoffs for Chinese business activities with western countries. (The west is more economically important to China for now.)

That being said, some long term investors might be more cagey than they used to be about Xi's recent power consolidations. His grip on China is getting pretty Putin-like, but for now, he's been more of a "rational" actor.

Some may be looking at his consolidation of power as an institutional risk, period. It's definitely clear that it's only Putin's absolutist control of Russian society that lets him push the war even though nearly all stakeholders are seeing negative effects from it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If it's already in Europe, not very long. Just need to get them to Poland and then across the border.

If we're flying it in, maybe +2-3 days as we round everything up and fly them to Poland.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you're Russia, how do you distinguish between an American drone piloted by a Ukrainian operator, vs. the same drone piloted by an American from a facility in Arizona? Is one US warfare and the other US aid? I don't really know how to answer that

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Can't feed your soldiers? Try sending more.

It really does feel like Russia's military command/Putin doesn't understand what's happening and are just pulling levers at the moment.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you're Russia, how do you distinguish between an American drone piloted by a Ukrainian operator, vs. the same drone piloted by an American from a facility in Arizona? Is one US warfare and the other US aid? I don't really know how to answer that

It's not those kind of drones. These are small flying bombs launched from a mortar tube with relatively short reach.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

If Russia managed to down a drone that was American, in Ukraine, they'd have to get the wreckage and prove it. But even more: If we were subtly doing so, why would we send tagged units.

But so far, there's been no proof of American drones conducting combat operations other than observation in Ukraine.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you have radar coverage, you can probably see it take off from Ukraine. If not...not really, but then you also don't know WTF is shooting you unless you can shoot it down and check the wreckage.

Edit: the phrasing in the tweet is vague. It could be drones as we know them, or it could be the kamikaze switchblades. Quite possibly the latter since there's so many of them.

If they can get them to Kharkiv and Mariupol it could be a huge factor in relieving those cities.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

100 armed drones.

I'm going to guess something like 85% to do with Russia but the latter point is suddenly much, much more pertinent than it was a month ago.

Free and independent Taiwan forever. Free and independent Ukraine forever.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

That issue already applies with Bayraktars, supplied by Turkey but flown by Ukrainians.

There is no Clancy component to this.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Lol

ganonso posted:

So the mighty Republicans fear the renowned martial prowess of Mexico? Did Trump sell all your material or what?

Seriously while I see Ukraine being used as a political argument for nations with disputed territories (even if Erdogan and the Saudi crown prince seem to indicate warmongering has taken a dip at least for those who are not in danger of immediate famine) seeing it emerge in the U.S is strange. Are the Republican talks about Mexican invasion intended to be literal rather than refering to migrants?

Republicans are dumb as gently caress and will take any opportunity, no matter how logically ridiculous, to attack Biden. It's really that simple

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How the gently caress would these even work? Assuming this somehow happened ( :lol: ), would anyone outside the US take these seriously?

I guess I'm asking just exactly how stupid this idea is beyond the obvious fact that the Russians would just declare it an act of war on America's part.

It's not about combat, it would empower private citizens to seize Russian assets.

It's also just a proposed bill from a republican, nothing approved and probably won't be, it's too wild west the government wants control of these things. Interesting idea though I must say

Youth Decay posted:

At least 10 civilians killed while waiting in line for bread in Chernihiv today. :nms: Video shows blurred dead bodies.
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1504060658144448512

I think whoever said this was small arms fire was right. There doesn't appear to be any evidence of shelling from what I can see.

'60 MNHYT' lmao

KitConstantine posted:

New Ukrainian-reported POW numbers
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1504103007729897472?t=emRefylToJ4ru41i0SuRlw&s=19
That seems like a lot, but I have zero frame of reference.

Considering likely KIA numbers around ten thousand or more, plus all the evidence of abandoned equipment and lost/surrendering troops, that number sounds totally reasonable

Even if Kim ain't a good guy that meme looks like racist trash to me

Jiro posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...kyiv-visit-live

Guardian reporting that 15 point ceasefire deal being worked on, some points being that Ukraine renounces joining NATO or host foreign military bases in exchange for "protection" from the US, UK, Turkey etc etc etc.

Sounds like a poo poo deal IMO.

That literally sounds like a mafia protection racket. Doesn't just sound like one in fact, it is one.

FishMcCool posted:

Obvious caveat that POWs words can't exactly be taken at face value, but:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/15/europe/ukraine-russian-prisoners-of-war-intl/index.html

Should that be genuine and a common frame of mind amongst the captured/deserters, and possibly the other contracted-conscripts on the front line, Russia is going to be sitting on a powder keg when all those merry fellows get brought back home.

Those guys are never going back to Russia after saying that. Which I'm thinking may be the point, from their perspective

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I have been hearing about china's stock market declining sharply every morning for a couple weeks now.

I'm not sure how much Ukraine has to do with it, I still think the primary issue is manufacturing getting shut down to control covid outbreaks, and other purely financial-related reasons. But yeah, fear that China will align more closely with Russia and less closely with the rest of the global economic system, or even be the target of sanctions, could be a part of it. It's hard to prove one way or another though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PederP posted:

(supposedly) thousands of volunteers.

Even Russia claims to have gotten “only” 180 with that strike.

Youth Decay posted:

No, 25,000 was the last number I heard. Mariupol is a city of over 400,000. Was. It's being shelled constantly, bombed daily, all civilian targets. The dead aren't even being counted as they are thrown into the mass graves.

That sounds like you’re receiving unnecessarily confusing information. Mass graves are run by authorities, and we know the stated count there - 2630 as of yesterday, iirc. They cannot bury everyone, but the “20,000” figure came from one poorly sourced tweet, which not even local authorities support.

Capri Sunrise posted:

What does legal status mean?

That’s just poor translation. At least I’d like to imagine that the demand is for Russian to become the second official language of Ukraine, since Russian used to have a (different) special status there, which Russia wasn’t satisfied with.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is one of the main reasons that Russia will have to capitulate in this sooner rather than later: they've already lost the logistics and economic war

Every piece of equipment Russia loses they can't afford to replace and can't afford to rebuild, Ukraine is being absolutely flooded with material and cash. They are probably buying fancier poo poo themselves on top of all the stuff they are getting from NATO and the EU.

Numbers and time are simply not on Putin's side.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Russia keeps ramping up their threats of using chemical weapons.
https://twitter.com/OlgaNYC1211/status/1504153482164645889

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Play posted:

Even if Kim ain't a good guy that meme looks like racist trash to me

Kim also isn't crazy, so it's also very dumb.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Youth Decay posted:

At least 10 civilians killed while waiting in line for bread in Chernihiv today. :nms: Video shows blurred dead bodies.
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1504060658144448512

My teenage cousins were there a little over a week ago.

Dad got them to Poland thank goodness.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The announcement said that the drones were "tactical" drones so it is probably stuff like the Raven, Wasp, or Puma.

Think less death bird and more of a durable jamming resistant camera drone that can the thrown into the air by a soldier to get a good view of the surrounding area.

There's also the Shadow, but that's a bit more involved to get going.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis

This isn't the first time Putin massacred civilians in a theater.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not that kind of drones, these are stuff you can fit in your backpack. Flying grenades basically.

Play posted:

'60 MNHYT' lmao

It’s Russian equivalent of “The Tonight Show” with Jimmy Fallon, if I had to explain it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shifty Pony posted:

The announcement said that the drones were "tactical" drones so it is probably stuff like the Raven, Wasp, or Puma.

Think less death bird and more of a durable jamming resistant camera drone that can the thrown into the air by a soldier to get a good view of the surrounding area.

There's also the Shadow, but that's a bit more involved to get going.

Interesting, thanks

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
CNN is doing live updates on the situation of the theater in Mariupol.

13 minutes ago:

quote:

Fate of hundreds sheltering in bombed theater in Mariupol is "unknown," regional official says
From CNN's Tim Lister in Lviv

Pavlo Kyrylenko, the head of Donetsk regional administration which includes Mariupol, said Russian forces are trying to "physically destroy Mariupol and the people of Mariupol, which have been a symbol of our resistance" after a theater sustained heavy damage in an apparent bombing.

Kyrylenko said they launched an air strike on the "Drama Theater" and "the Neptune" swimming pool.

"According to preliminary data, several hundred Mariupol residents were hiding in the Drama Theater. Their fate is unknown, as the entrance to the bomb shelter is blocked by rubble," he said.

"The Russians are already lying, [saying] that the headquarters of the Azov Regiment was there. But they themselves are well aware that there were only civilians," he continued on Facebook.

The Azov Battalion is an ultra-nationalist militia that has since been integrated into the Ukrainian armed forces.

"Now there are pregnant women and women with children under the rubble. This is pure terrorism!" he wrote.

It is currently impossible to determine the number of casualties of these shellings and the extent of the destruction as well.
https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-16-22/index.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

William Bear posted:

CNN is doing live updates on the situation of the theater in Mariupol.

13 minutes ago:

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-16-22/index.html

Yeah, again, reminder: Terror bombings are a Russian Air Force party trick, sadly.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
It says 100 tactical UAS, not predators with hellfires. Unless im missing something, those tactical UAS could be anything from unarmed old af Shadows to Switchblades to predators.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It sure is loving funny how the headquarters of the Azov always seems to look identical to innocent people being bombed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Even Russia claims to have gotten “only” 180 with that strike.

I was being clumsy with my words once more - I did not mean thousands of volunteer casualties - I meant there were supposedly thousands of volunteers showing up for foreign legion duty.

Regardless of that number being true or not, it makes sense for Russia to deter such volunteers. If they actually do number in the thousands, there is a very real numerical effect on reducing that inflow. If they are fewer, deterrence removes a propaganda point from the other side.

The actual volunteer situation is likely a lot more complicated - with a mixture of individuals/small groups just showing up in various places, some signing up for the 'legion', some actually being mercenaries, some being anti-russian militias. I doubt they all register neatly at that one base.

I believe the Russian strike was aimed at 'amateur' volunteers rather than mercenaries, militias and specialists. And I doubt there were thousands of such amateur volunteers, even if the total number of non-Ukrainian national combatants fighting for them does reach such figures. Hence the 'supposedly'. It is good propaganda to tell the world that thousands of foreign individuals have signed up to defend Ukraine.