Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Are there any threads in here on the YZ engine games? I've got a couple I haven't read yet but I'd be interested in hearing other people's experience with it too.

Found one. It hasn't been posted in a bit. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903473

Also there is a Twilight 2000 thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984357

Edit: Half-beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

drat, Ra doesn't ship to my country. That's annoying.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Thanks for these. It really helps in learning new RPGs :)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ever wanted to make your own tile sets, but lack the talent or time? Ever wanted to make your own assets for VTTs? Ever wanted to get into the business of making low effort NFTs virtual assets and selling them for mad cash? Have too much money, and need to get rid of it?

Have I got the Kickstarter for you! The maker of MapForge is making a tool for easy creation of the tiles themselves. These would be cool for solo gaming too. It's currently square based, but I'm campaigning for an addition of hex tiles support as well.

Disclosure: I am a backer but have no stake in the campaign other than I want it to succeed, because I would love to have something like this. If you are at all interested, please check it out and consider backing!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/tileforge-software-to-batch-generate-mapping-tiles/comments

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's kind of a neat idea.

Speaking of map creators:

Can't remember what it was called, but the demo showed just drawing a corridor and room, and the software automatically drew it as a "dungeon" style complete with little bits and bobs. If you didn't like something, you could micromanage details, but by and large you just drew and it filled in the details automatically.

Most DMs just draw a rough room outline after all if you need a quick map. This keeps that same workflow, and basically works as "hey software, draw a pretty version of this" which is 100% the right approach IMO.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's kind of a neat idea.

Speaking of map creators:

Can't remember what it was called, but the demo showed just drawing a corridor and room, and the software automatically drew it as a "dungeon" style complete with little bits and bobs. If you didn't like something, you could micromanage details, but by and large you just drew and it filled in the details automatically.

Most DMs just draw a rough room outline after all if you need a quick map. This keeps that same workflow, and basically works as "hey software, draw a pretty version of this" which is 100% the right approach IMO.

Dungeon Alchemist? I haven't really done much with it since I got my key for backing the Kickstarter, but the bits I have done were neat.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That looks like it, thanks! Concept-wise I think it's the right direction to go.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 6, 2022

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Leder games is making a space opera now? I hope it's not just another Outer Rim/Xia. Just got an email that they're about to start their Kickstarter campaign soon.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Jarvisi posted:

Leder games is making a space opera now? I hope it's not just another Outer Rim/Xia. Just got an email that they're about to start their Kickstarter campaign soon.

There's some details in the dev diaries on BGG. Core mechanic involves rounds of trick-taking with action cards (different suits, different actions). Built around a mini-campaign where you complete goals and unlock extra packets of cards.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jarvisi posted:

On the BGG page, Cole has done some developer diaries. I haven't read them yet since I'm not going to back but hopefully they can allay your apprehensions. From what little I know, it does not sound like a generic space game.

e:fb

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Doctor Zero posted:

Ever wanted to make your own tile sets, but lack the talent or time? Ever wanted to make your own assets for VTTs? Ever wanted to get into the business of making low effort NFTs virtual assets and selling them for mad cash? Have too much money, and need to get rid of it?

Have I got the Kickstarter for you! The maker of MapForge is making a tool for easy creation of the tiles themselves. These would be cool for solo gaming too. It's currently square based, but I'm campaigning for an addition of hex tiles support as well.

Disclosure: I am a backer but have no stake in the campaign other than I want it to succeed, because I would love to have something like this. If you are at all interested, please check it out and consider backing!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/tileforge-software-to-batch-generate-mapping-tiles/comments

Ehh. I dunno about buying a license that can only be used on one computer at a time, and if you change computers you can move it, but you *cannot* use it on both your desktop and your laptop, say. That doesn't sound great.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Magnetic North posted:

On the BGG page, Cole has done some developer diaries. I haven't read them yet since I'm not going to back but hopefully they can allay your apprehensions. From what little I know, it does not sound like a generic space game.

e:fb

I'll have to check it out! Oath was great but also none of my friends can stand playing it. Not their style of game

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone who bought into the reaper 6 kickstarter: I noticed my account isn’t populating with my purchase on the pledge manager site. Is that normal? Is there something else I need to do?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Scale75 has a kickstarter coming up may 18th

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Anyone got any experience in the solo side of the Compass Games Enemy Action?

They have a sequel Enemy Action: Kharkov but the solo rules are 30-50 pages in length! Seems a bit much, but maybe it works?

I'm wondering how accurate the map is compared to the current battle of Kharkiv,

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
The new Kingdom Builder kickstarter seems unnecessary and expensive

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

I laughed out loud when I saw what it cost. I mean, fair enough for the components + all 4 expansions but holy poo poo.

Kinda makes me want to play the orginal version, I remember it being pretty fun.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lol, good luck Queen. That’s a lotta moola for a milquetoast game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
And it looks way worse than the wooden cubes did

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Yeah, I love painting a stack of minis but that is just a bizarre project. The game isn’t good enough to have a deluxe edition like that and especially not a mini-focused one.

Those houses would only look good if painted well and who the gently caress wants to paint 40 tiny detailed houses per player.

Also, it doesn’t come with any premium storage solution so you just have bags of 200 loving plastic houses.

The resin tiles look really good though. Those are the only thing that look “premium” in the whole project.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone backing the new Blade Runner game? Seems to be using the Year Zero Engine, but no real way to gauge quality.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/blade-runner-the-roleplaying-game

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Fuzz posted:

Anyone backing the new Blade Runner game? Seems to be using the Year Zero Engine, but no real way to gauge quality.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/blade-runner-the-roleplaying-game

I will probably back it simply because I basically back Free League stuff compulsively, but what does the setting really add over a totally generic cyberpunk setting other than an emphasis replicants? The tabletop cyberpunk genre is already so heavily influenced by the Blade Runner movie that its setting basically the default one in any cyberpunk game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Fuzz posted:

It’s Free League, so if I want it, it’ll be available retail, so no need to give Kickstarter money.

Also, while I love Free League usually, I’m not seeing much beyond “be slave, capture runaway slaves” in the pitch.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

EverettLO posted:

I will probably back it simply because I basically back Free League stuff compulsively, but what does the setting really add over a totally generic cyberpunk setting other than an emphasis replicants? The tabletop cyberpunk genre is already so heavily influenced by the Blade Runner movie that its setting basically the default one in any cyberpunk game.

It's such a weird movie (or movies, if they're including 2049) to base a whole roleplaying game on because there's not much plot, only slightly more characters, and basically zero elaboration on any setting details...the whole thing is primarily a mood piece, memorable because of the synaesthetic whole. What you're gonna capture about that in a tabletop roleplaying game I have no idea. And as you say, there's already plenty of cyberpunk games that are heavily inspired by its aesthetics and could handily do cases about tracking down replicants if you really wanted. I'm sure it will be a nice book with a few interesting mechanical wrinkles, but the only way it could be a harder pass from me is if it were d20 or written by someone like Zak S.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Inkwell Ideas is doing another set of Dungeonmorph dice:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inkwellideas/dungeonmorphs-iv-more-rpg-map-design-dice-and-cards

I love these things.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

malkav11 posted:

It's such a weird movie (or movies, if they're including 2049) to base a whole roleplaying game on because there's not much plot, only slightly more characters, and basically zero elaboration on any setting details...the whole thing is primarily a mood piece, memorable because of the synaesthetic whole. What you're gonna capture about that in a tabletop roleplaying game I have no idea. And as you say, there's already plenty of cyberpunk games that are heavily inspired by its aesthetics and could handily do cases about tracking down replicants if you really wanted. I'm sure it will be a nice book with a few interesting mechanical wrinkles, but the only way it could be a harder pass from me is if it were d20 or written by someone like Zak S.
The art looks really generic and sparse, too. It looks so threadbare that it seems like a project where they didn't even have the license to anything from the films.
And is it just me, or does the "Leah" NPC portrait look like they painted over a photo of Lena Headey?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

It’s Free League, so if I want it, it’ll be available retail, so no need to give Kickstarter money.

Also, while I love Free League usually, I’m not seeing much beyond “be slave, capture runaway slaves” in the pitch.

Yea definitely the way to go with Free League particularly if you are wanting to not give KS money.
Free League also have regular sales on their core rulebooks that make them pretty drat cheap if you also don't mind waiting a short while after initial release.

This one to me looks like it's going to be an art book with a generic cyberpunk game attached.
That being said, they've been pretty good at introducing a 'Unique Thing' in pretty much each of their YZ games, so I'm cautiously optimistic that this one will have something to stand out in it's field.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Tsilkani posted:

Inkwell Ideas is doing another set of Dungeonmorph dice:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inkwellideas/dungeonmorphs-iv-more-rpg-map-design-dice-and-cards

I love these things.

The dice look fun but maybe a bit cramped? Have you used them IRL? My dice hunger is activated but not sure how practical they are.

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 8, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder what the Blade Runner game can pull from. If it's just the first movie... eh, well, I'm just gonna go play like Cyberpunk RED or something. Apparently there's some interesting things in the second movie that might at least pad the page count but I'll probably still go play RED. There just doesn't feel like there's that much to do in Blade Runner and even though I really like Free League's Alien game even that one feels like it trends towards the formulaic.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

BinaryDoubts posted:

The dice look fun but maybe a bit cramped? Have you used them IRL? My dice hunger is activated but not sure how practical they are.

The dice are pretty chonky compared to regular dice, 25mm, but what I really like are the card sets. They're a good size, easily readable, dry erasable... they're so good.

I like the fonts, too, but they're more for putting something together ahead of time than being able to do anything on the fly.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solgoodcreations/the-gamers-sampier-project?ref=3zstmo

quote:

tory

I am Sergy Sobol, and I live in Kharkiv, Ukraine. My American friend, Caleb Goodson, and I decided to put together a project that would help my volunteer group bring food to the refugees in my home city.

My group of volunteers and I cook food and feed the people. Their need is great, and your support will meet this need.

We decided to offer you an amazing set of bases appealing to multiple tastes. In addition, many creators generously donated their own product to our cause, giving you a wide range of items, from miniatures, to sourcebooks, and even music.

The price shown is for a single reward tier, but you can donate as much as your heart desires.

Remember, everything here is digital product, mainly STLs for 3D printers. THERE IS NO PHYSICAL PRODUCT.

This is of no interest to me, as I don't own a 3D printer, but those of you have one, might want to back this $50 for 1000 STL things.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Comstar posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solgoodcreations/the-gamers-sampier-project?ref=3zstmo

This is of no interest to me, as I don't own a 3D printer, but those of you have one, might want to back this $50 for 1000 STL things.

Cheers, picked this up. Some really nice bases and minis!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I backed Blade Runner because it looks like a cool artifact with nice art and stuff. I never intend to play it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jarvisi posted:

Late to this but I wanted to respond:

As I understand it, having hoovered up every hint of info I can: Arcs comes out of Wehrle's (1) desire to revisit Root with lessons learned from Oath, and (2) frustration with the need to reset Oath to a playable game state. (In Oath, there's "memory" of previous games, but that means you have to end the game in a way that makes the next game playable. Arcs only commits to 3ish games, so in the final act, the game can be broken because it will be reset to the base when you next play.)

Also, Wehrle wanted narratives of different scale in the same game - did you like the Vagabond? Now, with more Vagabond. He wanted a game where one person was playing a grand space strategy game and another player was going on archaeological digs, and wouldn't it be great if they could play the same game?

The game uses trick taking as its core action mechanic.

They're currently considering splitting the 3-game narrative campaign into a "designed from day one" expansion with the Kickstarter. The core game will be designed for competitive play, 90-120 minutes, whose peers are "things like Scythe, Kemet, and other strategy games like that, though it's quite different from those games". The narrative campaign expansion would make the core game shorter (60-90 minutes), but you'd play 3+ rounds of it, and its peers are games like "Twilight Imperium and campaign games".

I'm hoping I can get everything I need through Backerkit for this, but I am all in on this when it launches.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074786394/arcs?ref=bggforums

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ARCS is also seemingly a big departure for Cole in the way he designs turns. In previous games, you had a ton of downtime while each player took their turn which would be a long series of actions (maybe roll some defense dice if you got attacked). Both Root and especially Oath had major issues with waiting 15-30 minutes between your turns. ARCS by its nature of trick taking + action resolution will keep you more involved in others' turns, which might solve my biggest issue with his games. Seems very promising so far.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

The Kickstarter for Mutants in the Next is live... Now!

With Sophie Campbell and Fábio Fontes illustrating, Will Jobst editing, and creators like Crystal Fraiser, Darren M. A. Calvert, and Ewen Cluney lined up as stretch goals, take a look! Both Mutants in the Now and Mutants in the Next will be available as part of the Kickstarter, and there'll be furred fish, hellbenders, pro wrestling, and so much more. With the core established, I can start getting more wild with ideas, and I hope you'll join up.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

CitizenKeen posted:

Late to this but I wanted to respond:

As I understand it, having hoovered up every hint of info I can: Arcs comes out of Wehrle's (1) desire to revisit Root with lessons learned from Oath, and (2) frustration with the need to reset Oath to a playable game state. (In Oath, there's "memory" of previous games, but that means you have to end the game in a way that makes the next game playable. Arcs only commits to 3ish games, so in the final act, the game can be broken because it will be reset to the base when you next play.)

Also, Wehrle wanted narratives of different scale in the same game - did you like the Vagabond? Now, with more Vagabond. He wanted a game where one person was playing a grand space strategy game and another player was going on archaeological digs, and wouldn't it be great if they could play the same game?

The game uses trick taking as its core action mechanic.

They're currently considering splitting the 3-game narrative campaign into a "designed from day one" expansion with the Kickstarter. The core game will be designed for competitive play, 90-120 minutes, whose peers are "things like Scythe, Kemet, and other strategy games like that, though it's quite different from those games". The narrative campaign expansion would make the core game shorter (60-90 minutes), but you'd play 3+ rounds of it, and its peers are games like "Twilight Imperium and campaign games".

I'm hoping I can get everything I need through Backerkit for this, but I am all in on this when it launches.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074786394/arcs?ref=bggforums

Wait is it easy to leave Oath in a broken state for future plays? I never played it, and it never really grabbed me as far as the concept (even though I did watch numerous videos and read a lot of rave reviews). If it's possible to leave it in a broken state, what does that look like? Just a situation where one or more players have no hope of winning, or where it can never return to some other state?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

armorer posted:

Wait is it easy to leave Oath in a broken state for future plays? I never played it, and it never really grabbed me as far as the concept (even though I did watch numerous videos and read a lot of rave reviews). If it's possible to leave it in a broken state, what does that look like? Just a situation where one or more players have no hope of winning, or where it can never return to some other state?

No, it’s very hard (impossible?) to leave Oath in a broken state. That’s a constraint that Wehrle wants to throw off. Arcs will be able to be left in a broken state.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

CitizenKeen posted:

No, it’s very hard (impossible?) to leave Oath in a broken state. That’s a constraint that Wehrle wants to throw off. Arcs will be able to be left in a broken state.

This does not sound like a good idea. I'd hate to have to reset a game because my nephew played it last and left it in an unusable state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That’s not what it means. It’s a short campaign game that can be replayed with each campaign taking ~3 games. It’s game about space conflict, so game 3 could end with say every planet but 1 being blown up or something. But then the whole thing can be reset and played again unlike Legacy games. Oath had a never ending campaign style so each game had to end in a state the next could pick up from and continue, this one can do more radical things between games.