Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
Or where Dehli, or their insurance is, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really hope the Thwaites breaks off during the month of May and not during some other, more boring month.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
also we're gonna be reading Columbus and Other Cannibals over the next three weeks in the r/collapse book club, you can join us if you wanna

:shobon:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
https://www.businessinsider.com/wealthy-americans-buy-second-passports-amid-covid-politics-climate-change-2022-5

quote:

The number of wealthy Americans applying for citizenship or residency in foreign countries has skyrocketed over the past three years as US billionaires, tech entrepreneurs, and celebrities look to create a "plan B" for their families, multiple investment migration firms told Insider.

More than a dozen countries offer so-called "golden passports" and visas that allow affluent foreigners to receive citizenship or residency in exchange for investing in the country. The most expensive programs range from $1.1 million in Malta to $9.5 million in Austria, according to Forbes.

"We see these programs as an insurance policy," Ezzedeen Soleiman, a managing partner at Latitude Residency & Citizenship, said. "We've had some billionaires approach us and ask what's the best place to live if there's a climate catastrophe, or if there's another storm, or another global pandemic."

Latitude, a company which guides high-net-worth investors around the world through the application process, said US inquiries have increased 300% between 2019 and 2021. Henley & Partners, one of the world's largest citizenship brokers, said sales to American nationals increased by 327% between 2019 and 2020 and an additional 10% in 2021. According to Dominic Volek, head of private clients at Henley & Partners, there are "four C's" currently driving the investor citizenship industry: COVID-19, climate change, cryptocurrency, and conflict.

The recent uptick in American applicants started during the Trump administration and escalated during pandemic lockdowns, he added.

"In the very strict lockdowns there was a point where if you only had an American passport, you could not enter Europe," Volek told Insider. "I think that made a lot of particularly ultra high net worth individuals realize that they're potentially a little bit more fragile than they thought."

Reaz Jafri, CEO of Dasein Advisors, said he has received more American inquiries over the past three years than the previous 20 years combined. He said his US clients often work in tech, real estate, or crypto, and are worth between $50 million and $20 billion.

The one thing they all have in common: deep-rooted fear about the future of American society, he said.

From a tech founder concerned about the rise in Asian-American hate crimes to young web3 entrepreneurs looking to avoid tax hikes, Jafri said wealthy clients across the political spectrum are planning for the worst.

the rich are fleeing like rats

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Arsons Seen Fleeing Scene of Crime

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Huh? I'm kind of done with this thread for tonight, but I appreciate you engaging with me. I guess I probably won't change the world, but helping makes me feel a little better about everything!

Eat poo poo. Seek your attention elsewhere

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Complications posted:

The United States' national identity should be destroyed. Let the "unmanageably endless hordes" wash it away in a tide of literally anything else.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

some plague rats posted:

Azathoth bans one racist ecofash and the collapse thread all immediately start doing the end of spartacus

Hope I get to bang Lucy Lawless

Makes me sad how I don't see praying mantis or crawdads or dragonfly any more. And each reimmergence of those hordes of moths with the funky yellow guts is less and less. When first we moved here 25 years ago, they coated everything with their gross squishy corpses, a half dead carpet of moths. Last round, I think I saw 20.

Oh well. Time to change the filters taped to the box fans that make the air close to breathable during the smoke season

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

BrotherJayne posted:

Eat poo poo. Seek your attention elsewhere

imo OP deserves a pass for volunteering to help kids

suffering children is the one thing that still gives me crippling mental damage

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Raine posted:

it's like that author lady that donated a kidney or w/e and got upset that the people in her Facebook group ignored her talking about how good it made her feel

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

it's like that author lady that donated a kidney or w/e and got upset that the people in her Facebook group ignored her talking about how good it made her feel

it reads more like a disclaimer on why they are unable to understand healthy nihilism

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Raine posted:

it reads more like a disclaimer on why they are unable to understand healthy nihilism

e: I quoted the wrong post in the wrong thread lmao

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 22:48 on May 8, 2022

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I don’t want to speak on the drama but that really is just neatheterodude’s posting style. They seem like a genuinely well-adjusted person who posts with a disarming level of earnestness. They’re not doing some meta concern trolling thing itt and probably don’t deserve to be lashed out at.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

TheSlutPit posted:

I don’t want to speak on the drama but that really is just neatheterodude’s posting style. They seem like a genuinely well-adjusted person who posts with a disarming level of earnestness. They’re not doing some meta concern trolling thing itt and probably don’t deserve to be lashed out at.

There is a reason people in this thread use the term "toxic positivity." Sincerity means nothing, it just makes you sincerely ignorant

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

Wow a quadrillion new posts in the collapse thread, I wonder if we've entered the Cool Zo-

oh

Anyway, here are some lols and lmaos:

Apparently "PFAS-tainted sewage sludge" has been used as fertilizer on a bunch of fields in the US

New deforestation high score in Brazil

Bonus lmao at individual action:

Climate hunger striker expresses shock at being ignored by ministers

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
less forums drama more staring into the abyss

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

"Deforestation in Brazil’s Amazon surged to record levels for the month of April, nearly doubling the area of forest removed in that month last year – the previous April record – preliminary government data has shown, alarming environmental campaigners."
Boy howdy do they need to stop this framing. "The move is opposed by left-leaning Democrats." "Environmentalists are concerned about this latest move." "Feminists are upset about the loss of reproductive rights."

Motherfucker we're all going to die

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mistakes into miracles

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

TheSlutPit posted:

your accusing them of being how are u? lol

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

your accusing them of being how are u? lol

lol I suppose the reaction makes a bit more sense when you think about in the context of people familiar with that gimmick. Very different posters though imo

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

A Russian troll farm posted:

Free Rime, and then kill Rime as part of the unlimited genocide JDPON will undertake upon the first world.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

TheSlutPit posted:

lol I suppose the reaction makes a bit more sense when you think about in the context of people familiar with that gimmick. Very different posters though imo

The gimmick is extremely frustrating and obnoxious and I know I have a bit of knee jerk reaction to it because it so severely makes me depressed and upset. Its taken me 22 years to figure out how to make my hosed up mental health work for me and one thing that always threw me into horrible slumps was attempting to fix unfixable poo poo or being told that I should be throwing myself at these insurmountable problems in order to be a good person. Then you get the toxic positivity posters popping in here, completely ignoring that most of us ARE working on local projects and trying to do community animal and bug habitats and grow things and just steam rolling in to say YOU loving DOOMERS ARENT DOING ENOUGH. YOU MUST WANT THE WORLD TO DIE BECAUSE YOUVE GIVEN UP.

to be clear: I'm happier than honestly i've ever been in my entire life. I'm gardening almost every day and specifically working with native plants and removing invasive and its something I can do at my pace and every year I see a marked difference in the wildlife and birds and bugs that are hanging out in my area and into the community ravine/creek. Like the general background of "yeah everything is hosed" exists but it doesn't color my day to day anymore at all. I see a new news report about farmland going fallow in the central valley? poo poo just smooth brains right off of me. Nothing I can do about it.

edit: Sorry for being an rear end in a top hat last night.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 00:02 on May 9, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Clusters of Weather Extremes Will Increase Risks to Corn Crops, Society

quote:

By the year 2100, increases in heat waves, drought, and excessive rainfall combined will double the risk of climate-related failures of corn harvests in at least three of the world’s six major corn-growing regions in the same year

quote:

by 2100, extreme heat waves around the world lasting at least three days will occur two to four times as often as they do now

things are heating up

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Raine posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck you for being right.

Sorry NeatHeteroDude, I guess I need a snickers

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Never seen the forest service running ads around the PNW on fire breaks before

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

people absolutely can't handle a no-win scenario and we're in a no-win scenario
c'est la vie

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

It's not just corn crops, many staple crops (eg wheat) will be less productive because of higher temperatures.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

people absolutely can't handle a no-win scenario and we're in a no-win scenario

ahh the kobayashi maru.....

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

T-Paine posted:

"Deforestation in Brazil’s Amazon surged to record levels for the month of April, nearly doubling the area of forest removed in that month last year – the previous April record – preliminary government data has shown, alarming environmental campaigners."
Boy howdy do they need to stop this framing. "The move is opposed by left-leaning Democrats." "Environmentalists are concerned about this latest move." "Feminists are upset about the loss of reproductive rights."

Motherfucker we're all going to die

Brazil was once ranked as the best for conservation and then Obama stepped in and got Balsarno elected.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Lpzie posted:

ahh the kobayashi maru.....

don't give false hope to the "tech will save us" people

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Raine posted:

don't give false hope to the "tech will save us" people

spock would have been banned for advocating for direct action

the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I went and found the tuberculosis quote.

Wakko posted:

the most backward take. humanity stands at the cusp of realizing its grand destiny. tens of thousands of years of consumption have brought us here, and you whine? imagine a tuberculosis bacterium mewling like this as the host's lungs start to fill with fluid. generations have stood on the shoulders of one another, all working together to bring us here. its is only now, at the great dying, that we realize true meaning.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Chamale posted:

I went and found the tuberculosis quote.

still an all timer, lol

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

We can say "gently caress whitey" but we can't say "nuke whitey." Really makes you think

please don’t nuke me or my children

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ruggan posted:

excuse me my son's name is also nuke

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ruggan posted:

If you didn't want Cup Runneth Over to nuke people then you should have spoken up at the meeting when they were put in charge of the nukes.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Ruggan posted:

vote

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
don't nuke me or my son ever again

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nuke me once, shame on ... shame on you. Nuke me... You can't get nuked again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

it's the thread people tell you to go to if you criticize glenn greenwald so I assume they are in fact unironically fans of him since people usually say that when they want you to go get roasted somewhere hostile to your opinions

Yeah we unironically stan glenn greenwald in that thread. People assume it's a bit until they post there for a while and start to see how correct he actually is about everything