Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

big cummers ONLY posted:

This poo poo really makes me appreciate d2. Yeah it's a massive grind after a certain point. But that's the whole fuckin point and the game is designed around your only impetus to engage with the grind, is for the sake of the grind itself. Fuxkin capitalism bro. I wonder how many hours of learning and practice it takes to be able to code a simple (elementary, nearly no features) arpg. I have been looking for a new hobby for awhile and trying to find a beginner class in coding that's accessible for idiots like me is sounding more and more like a fun project

Slormancer and Chronicon are both games coded by a single person (although both eventually brought in additional people to do artwork and music) I believe. They're both also entirely good little arpgs and each has a cool take on crafting and endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

big cummers ONLY posted:

This poo poo really makes me appreciate d2. Yeah it's a massive grind after a certain point. But that's the whole fuckin point and the game is designed around your only impetus to engage with the grind, is for the sake of the grind itself. Fuxkin capitalism bro. I wonder how many hours of learning and practice it takes to be able to code a simple (elementary, nearly no features) arpg. I have been looking for a new hobby for awhile and trying to find a beginner class in coding that's accessible for idiots like me is sounding more and more like a fun project

D2JSP would like a word with you. Then again, at least JSP sales end up being player-to-player transactions.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah I don't think the game was designed with jsp in mind and either way, you can choose not to engage with it. I sold a sorc circlet to a goon for 40 fg in 2007 and I don't know if ever even spent it. I'd rather edit game files using a trainer to simulate trading than sully my night speaking to another person in a game

But I'm a weirdo and there are games that just are not social experiences for me and I will go out of my way to prevent people from encroaching on my alone time

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

big cummers ONLY posted:

That's still how I've played D2 and D3 for over a decade now. A fun mindless thing to run around in while I catch up on podcasts and TV, and recharge my mental batteries. They are excellent for that and I was hoping D:I would let me do that on the couch

That's exactly how and why I played, I could come home after work and do some whatever runs and not have to aim for heads and it was what I needed after after a long day.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I started on Path of Exile for that and even though it's pretty fun it kind of sucks to get super sick gear for every class except the one I'm playing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

With echoing nightmare, what are Ursi upgrades best used on now? I can get to 125+ in there, but nowhere near enough of a great rift to move a normal gem past that. Before part of the gameplay meta seemed to be running GRs to get a few more points of main stat from augmented ancient items, is that just gone?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Echoing Nightmares are basically a shortcut to augmenting your gear instead of having to level a fresh gem through 25 GRs for each slot. I would only use Urshi to upgrade legendary gems for their percentage power increases until you're at the super grindy point where you're pushing GRs for the chance to scrape another level or two. Then it makes sense to rank up your Whispers for additive mainstat boosts.

gradenko_2000 posted:

having watched the video:

* legendary gems only get MF if they're been ranked up to rank 5
* and ranking up gems to 5 is a tremendous grind if you try to do it via the free-only methods
* on top of that, five-star legendary gems are always going to have more MF than one/two-star legendary gems
* so not only do players who spend money get to access MF earlier/faster, they're always going to have more MF than non-paying players

* MF increases the quality of drops, not quantity of drops
* a lot of the activities in the game are soft-capped such that you can really only do them five times a day before the drop rate gets so bad that they're not worth doing anymore
* if you have MF, then your chances of getting nice items from your five runs a day is better than if you had no MF (or if you had more MF, relative to less MF)
* and since everyone is working with the same soft-cap, then players who have more MF, accelerate through the gearing process faster than those who have less MF
* but the people with more MF are invariably going to be the people who spend money on the game
* therefore, the rich get richer

Is this the series staple magic find implementation where it affects the chance for any given drop to be magic/rare/unique/etc? Or is it doing something horrible like making your crest-enabled guaranteed legendary drops roll with more or better stats?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Swilo posted:

Is this the series staple magic find implementation where it affects the chance for any given drop to be magic/rare/unique/etc? Or is it doing something horrible like making your crest-enabled guaranteed legendary drops roll with more or better stats?

gradenko_2000 posted:

* MF increases the quality of drops, not quantity of drops

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Swilo posted:

it's true that MF in Diablo 2 and 3 already work this way, in that they only increase the quality of the drops, not the amount of the drops, but it turns into poo poo when combined with the fact that MF is gated quite hard behind things that you can only reasonably get by paying for it, and when combined with how you can only do a limited number of runs per day

and yes, there is a difference between a legendary that drops with two stats, versus a legendary that drops with three stats, with the latter being far more valuable, and MF making the latter more likely to happen

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Giving you a fixed number of good rolls a day is fine by itself. However, you can pay to increase the quality of those rolls can't you? That's another layer of p2w scummy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been trying to reflect on it, and it's interesting because WoW also did start putting in limits on some of its content in later expansions. And this can be a good thing, because it's a mental (and sometimes direct) block from trying to poopsock all the content in a single week. Conversely, it makes the content last that much longer, and gives latecomers time to catch up to whatever's most current for month/quarter of the game.

But the way it's applied to Diablo Immortal (at least as far as I can understand from these videos) is that the gating of the content actually works against players, in a way, because again, if you only have five "pulls at the lever", so to speak, and people who pay money are almost always going to have better results from any individual pull, then it just lets the paid players accelerate away from you all the faster - you can't make up the difference by playing longer/harder (perhaps it's also good that they don't even let you try, which is why I qualified the statement with "in a way").

And the other thing is that the way WoW would apply its limits, maybe you could only do one repeatable quest per day, but they'd stretch it out to "seven quests in a week", so you could, like, do the thing twice in one day so you don't have to do it tomorrow, or you could do it multiple times on the last day before reset to "catch up" if you've been away for a while [I think this is how it works, but it's been a while so I might be wrong].

Even the raids were eventually structured such that you could re-do a boss that you've already done, just for the purposes of letting more people join raids with patchwork completion rates - you just couldn't get loot for the same boss more than once per reset, but you could help groups get past bosses that you've already done.

But in Diablo Immortal, because the Boon of Plenty or whatever requires you to claim the rewards every day on the dot, and you can't bank the rewards over time, then someone who misses a day both might not get their money's worth for what they paid for, AND they're being tempted into shelling out even more money to make up for it. Stopping play for a day also means you "give up" the five runs you were supposed to do to maximize your rewards. The effect on player behavior becomes extractive and exploitative instead of helpful.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I started on Path of Exile for that and even though it's pretty fun it kind of sucks to get super sick gear for every class except the one I'm playing.

thanks for triggering d3 inferno flashbacks

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
To match the wow analogy it would be like if raids dropped blue gear once a week normally and you have to pay an extra 400 dollars an hour for it to drop purple gear instead.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Diablo: Immortal reminds me of cryptocurrency or Flat Earth Theory where it is literally impossible to explain it in a way that doesn’t sound comically insane on its face

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

bamhand posted:

To match the wow analogy it would be like if raids dropped blue gear once a week normally and you have to pay an extra 400 dollars an hour for it to drop purple gear instead.
There was that whole random upgrade (WF/TF) system they did for a couple expansions, so you can make it an even closer analogy by picturing that but it's like +40 ilvl instead of +6 and the chance to WF/TF depends on microtransaction spending.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I’d kind of like it if the setting of Diablo 4 is “Heaven is dead, Hell won, the game takes place in the post apocalyptic aftermath of the war for heaven & hell”

Anyways, beta registration for D4 is live, I’ve signed up, go sign up

where is this? don't think i've seen anything where you can actually sign up...

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Beta sign up is towards the bottom of the official homepage: https://diablo4.blizzard.com/en-us/#opt-in

gradenko_2000 posted:

and yes, there is a difference between a legendary that drops with two stats, versus a legendary that drops with three stats, with the latter being far more valuable, and MF making the latter more likely to happen

This is what I was getting at, thanks. Every single thing about D:I is more hilarious than the last and supposedly there's still p2w systems nobody has seen post-launch because they're gated by server paragon and the immortals events :allears:

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I don't like PoE because the endgame is all about blowing up screens full of monsters in 0.1 secs while moving at mach speed. Now that's not bad on its own, but ALL builds in the game play like that at endgame. This is why I always end up coming back to Diablo.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Orc Priest posted:

I don't like PoE because the endgame is all about blowing up screens full of monsters in 0.1 secs while moving at mach speed. Now that's not bad on its own, but ALL builds in the game play like that at endgame. This is why I always end up coming back to Diablo.

D3 goes too far the other way, where every high-GR boss and elite pack has tons and tons of health but is completely unthreatening in terms of damage. Killing them is just a chore, in PoE at least you get to feel like a badass. Hoping D4 is a compromise between them is probably too much to ask.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
There’s a lot of non-mapping endgame in PoE but yeah, it’s a very speed rewarding game. You don’t have to play like that but the game does push you that way.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Would you recommend playing Diablo 2? I’ve just played Diablo 3 (and never even looked at the “comp” scene, I think I got a fire-boosting Wizard set and then I got bored) and like a week of D:I but D:I sucks

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What about d3 made you stop playing?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like D2 a lot but it’s very different game than D3. I would honestly play the remastered a bit

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I hated 6 of the classes but played a Druid for like 400 hours. Diablo 3 felt so much better to play that I at least enjoyed all the classes for a season or two.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

There’s a lot of mods for d2

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The end game of D2 was just speed farming bosses and there was like one maybe two specs for each class to do that so I think that's where I got burnt out on it. Other than that it's super fun

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

If you just want to play around, then Normal + Nightmare is fine for most classes with minimal grinding. Hell requires actual builds + there are immunes everywhere, so some classes can get shafted hard. Farming usually looks like putting 2-3 minutes of your life on a loop for a chance to get something vaguely useful (for any class, not necessarily yours) every 50 tries or so.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Unless you want to play remastered do yourself a favor and get some cheats/mods going unless you want the full extent of grindiness aimed towards 12 year olds with no obligations

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Field Mousepad posted:

The end game of D2 was just speed farming bosses and there was like one maybe two specs for each class to do that so I think that's where I got burnt out on it. Other than that it's super fun

Discussed in this thread last summer before D2R was released, but "endgame" as a concept was really in it's infancy when Diablo 2 was released. Ultimately it is what you make of it. Farming bosses, at least for me, is a total non starter. Making a character that can clear all of the world stone keep? That's kind of a fun aspiration. Would I do it more than 2-3 times? Probably not.

For me as a teenager in 2001 it was aspiring to weird pvp builds, now when I play it's more like...getting through nightmare and further on self found gear. There aren't really any carrots with any kind of depth to them.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

You can have an insane amount of fun for a long time playing characters through normal and nightmare mode, using items you find along the way

Hell and late-game magic finding are more niche interests to 2022 players. But even if you don't like them I still think you get your value from norm + nightmare on multiple chars.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I love playing D2R and there's an entire underlying strategy of how do you play the game *without needing to grind* but it's also different enough from D3 that I'd say it's not something you really want or need to jump into until you're tired of D3 or have a particular complaint about it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I've always played D2 with my end goal of clearing hell single player, so I don't end up doing much grinding or meph / baal runs unless I'm way undergeared going into hell.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Anyone else play D3 on Switch? online is pretty dead ofc is there a goon friends list?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Barreft posted:

Anyone else play D3 on Switch? online is pretty dead ofc is there a goon friends list?

2nd post of the thread. But really not much will be happening regardless if you're more than a few weeks into the season.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Suburban Dad posted:

2nd post of the thread. But really not much will be happening regardless if you're more than a few weeks into the season.

Oh okay I see. going to just blind invite all these people since Nintendo doesn't allow you to actually talk to anyone. If anyone sees a random invite it's me lol

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

College Slice
I feel kind of bummed that all the D4 classes are going to be reruns from previous versions. I thought one of the better parts of D3 (even at release) was it’s class design. I was especially impressed with the wizard. It really did feel like a new pure caster in a series that’s had two already.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreissi posted:

I feel kind of bummed that all the D4 classes are going to be reruns from previous versions. I thought one of the better parts of D3 (even at release) was it’s class design. I was especially impressed with the wizard. It really did feel like a new pure caster in a series that’s had two already.

it's sort of a reflection of the general cultural malaise under neoliberal capitalism where outside of "indies" there's nothing "new" being produced anymore and everything is just remakes and call backs. We're fated to only ever see classes from the earlier games for the same reason all the Hollywood movies are things like Top Gun Maverick

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Barreft posted:

Oh okay I see. going to just blind invite all these people since Nintendo doesn't allow you to actually talk to anyone. If anyone sees a random invite it's me lol

If you post ur friend code I’ll Add it to the OP

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

If you post ur friend code I’ll Add it to the OP

7329-3822-6987

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Barreft posted:

7329-3822-6987

I'm still amazed and baffled at how uniquely terrible Nintendo is with online anything every time I am reminded of it.