Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
The other weird/cool thing about the Hyundai vision 74 is that it's way bigger than it looks. I would love to see one in real life because I think it would be pretty surreal. It's virtually the same length and width as a new X5, but only a tiny bit taller than a 911 or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Y'all really hating on a grandpa car that was faster out of the factory than lamborghini's flagship Countach at the time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Arcella posted:

Y'all really hating on a grandpa car that was faster out of the factory than lamborghini's flagship Countach at the time.

Yeah and they are both slow as hell now, and I'd much rather be seen in the Countach since both of them have only style going now.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Arcella posted:

There was more powerful and/or faster poo poo in "straya" at the time, therefore this thing sucks and anyone who thinks otherwise is dumb and has invalid opinions.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KakerMix posted:

Yeah and they are both slow as hell now, and I'd much rather be seen in the Countach since both of them have only style going now.

The GNX does 13.5 quarter, that is not by any stretch slow as hell.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

therefore this thing sucks and anyone who thinks otherwise is dumb and has invalid opinions

New thread title, imo

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The GNX does 13.5 quarter, that is not by any stretch slow as hell.

Lots of things go that fast, and faster, for much less money though. It isn't special like it used to be because it's fast.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Lots of things go that fast, and faster, for much less money though. It isn't special like it used to be because it's fast.

A lot of those things can also turn and stop, unlike a GNX which handles like a wet loaf of bread and did even for it's time.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Baotou, China.

Bayan Obo Mining District.

Pretty nice place.

EDIT: Prime beach property:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_UdqZdFr-w

Rare Earth magnets are not used in induction motors. The only EV I know of that use Rare Earth Magnet motors is the Porsche Taycan. The rest use induction motors.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Here's some Italian steel of varying quality from a small meet earlier today:

Fiat X 1/9:

Growing up my neighbor had an X19 and he'd let me drive it sometimes. I drove it to see Star Wars when it came out.

Loved that car.

Later on a co-worker had the first version of the MR2. Even nicer.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KakerMix posted:

I doubt anyone here is arguing the GNX is fast enough for half a million dollars, or even 170k, these are dumb stupid prices for fuckwits. I don't even expect it to stop or turn either, it's still American junk from the 80s. You buy a GNX because they were a peculiar performance model of of nowhere and because 80's G-bodies have a stance absolutely nothing else has.

loving tough crowd here.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Countach ugly so what

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Do yourself a favour. Don't look up where Lamborghini gets the names for their car models.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I doubt anyone here is arguing the GNX is fast enough for half a million dollars, or even 170k, these are dumb stupid prices for fuckwits. I don't even expect it to stop or turn either, it's still American junk from the 80s. You buy a GNX because they were a peculiar performance model of of nowhere and because 80's G-bodies have a stance absolutely nothing else has.

loving tough crowd here.

Glad someone else gets it and was able to put into general words what I wanted to say.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I honestly never thought I'd see the day when AI was making GBS threads on a GNX of all things :psyduck:

If I start seeing people talk mess about SyTys that's how I know we're in Bizarro World.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Mister Speaker posted:

Do yourself a favour. Don't look up where Lamborghini gets the names for their car models.

Bulls are cool and so is bullfighting. Yes I also like jai alai and gambling why?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
That gnx is cool. Too much money tho for what it is

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

T1g4h posted:

I honestly never thought I'd see the day when AI was making GBS threads on a GNX of all things :psyduck:

Every car is a piece of poo poo, nothing is sacred.
The GNX is cool, unique for GM considering the their usual MO for the era but grading it on a curve for those reasons is goofy. :colbert:

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Arcella posted:

Those black Regals are cool as hell, but I doubt they're faster than a quattrovalvole Countach (300 vs 455hp)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Those black Regals are cool as hell, but I doubt they're faster than a quattrovalvole Countach (300 vs 455hp)

The Countach does anything between 13.3 to 13.7 on the quarter and while I stated 13.5 for the GNX, it has been tested at 12.7 with may have been a press ringer.

Car and Driver did say it was faster -

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15381950/fastest-cars-1980s/

Also the Italians were mostly using disney numbers and/ or undressed power where all the ancillaries are taken off and the engine is in an unrealistic form, the real hp was less. The GNX is resonably well known to be an understated power figure.

Edit : And this is where I wash my mouth out because the auto on the GNX is better for going fast. It keeps the turbo spooled and a more constant hit of go forward while the Countach has a pretty slow and clunky gearbox that hobbles its straight line. Italian manuals are bloody terrible if you try to force them. Now excuse me while I find a appropriate image to sixxer myself for saying that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 25, 2022

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Countach does anything between 13.3 to 13.7 on the quarter and while I stated 13.5 for the GNX, it has been tested at 12.7 with may have been a press ringer.

Car and Driver did say it was faster -

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15381950/fastest-cars-1980s/

Also the Italians were mostly using disney numbers and/ or undressed power where all the ancillaries are taken off and the engine is in an unrealistic form, the real hp was less. The GNX is resonably well known to be an understated power figure.

Edit : And this is where I wash my mouth out because the auto on the GNX is better for going fast. It keeps the turbo spooled and a more constant hit of go forward while the Countach has a pretty slow and clunky gearbox that hobbles its straight line. Italian manuals are bloody terrible if you try to force them. Now excuse me while I find a appropriate image to sixxer myself for saying that

The US spec fuel injected Countach was indeed a LOT more down in power compared to the carbed EU spec than the numbers would tell. Still insane how Buick was able to achieve true muscle car performance in the malaise era.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Interesting that Mercedes of all companies is looking to try and make EVs as efficient as possible rather than just loading in a battery pack and a high power motor into a vaguely modified ICE chassis. 747 miles on a charge is respectable for real and again makes the argument for lower powered, lower speed vehicles being the way forward.

quote:

The EQXX's drivetrain is as bespoke as it gets, with the Mercedes-AMG Formula 1 team chiming in with a lot of components. Engineers were tasked with making the car lighter, stronger, more efficient, and then lighter and stronger again. Although full specs aren't available, the basics are these: a near-100-kWh battery rated at more than 900 volts that produces 180 kW, which translates into 240 horsepower. A rear-mounted motor drives the rear wheels while the fronts focus on steering.

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/mercedes-vision-eqxx-prototype-review-range-specs-driving

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hah the license plate, cute.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Looks pretty nice as well

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Hyundai designers have been belting it out of the park recently. The cars themself have been good reliable cars for a long time now, but recently with the concepts and the N line they genuinely have become desirable. A work mate recently got a loving Sonata N-Line of all cars and it looks fantastic.

Korean cars are the new Japanese cars

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Interesting that Mercedes of all companies is looking to try and make EVs as efficient as possible rather than just loading in a battery pack and a high power motor into a vaguely modified ICE chassis. 747 miles on a charge is respectable for real and again makes the argument for lower powered, lower speed vehicles being the way forward.

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/mercedes-vision-eqxx-prototype-review-range-specs-driving

drat that's a beauty.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
With that rear rake surely it will be the next "UV".

Not cross over, not sports, but.."SEDUV"? Sedan Utility Vehicle?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I actually kind of like the Porsche longtail rear end

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Plenty of room in the trunk for all your golf related accoutrements.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

From the front it looks like a Mazda MX6

From the side it looks like 3 completely different cars mashed together.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

freelop posted:

Looks pretty nice as well

As long as it can parallel park itself, I love it. Best looking sedan I've seen recently. Too bad it's probably not a practical enough design to go to market with.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dema posted:

As long as it can parallel park itself, I love it. Best looking sedan I've seen recently. Too bad it's probably not a practical enough design to go to market with.

I dunno, these goofy things sold well enough.

(plus Audi A7s)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Does TikTok embed in SA/Awful app?

[video type="tiktok"]/t/ZTRAsuTfv/?k=1[/video]
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRAsuTfv/?k=1

Edit: doesn't seem to work in the Awful app but click for cool DTM cars.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:smug:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

0_0

Holy poo poo welcome back!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Power sells cars, torque wins races. The torque ratings are within 10 ft-lb of each other, (360 vs 369) and one article I just read says the GNX was obviously underrated and closer to 400 ft-lb. So yeah, it probably was faster/just as fast in a drag race.

OTOH That vast power discrepancy gives the Lambo a way higher top speed so if you extend the race beyond 1/4 mile then you are correct.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If I had to guess, the turbo GNX has a bigger area under the power curve compared to the lambo.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

What Mobby says.
Just 'More torque' doesn't say anything. I can literally produce as much torque on my bicycle by standing on the pedals as a small car does on the output shaft of the engine. But i cannot deliver that torque at 3000 or 6000rpm - i can only deliver that torque at a standstill or perhaps 10rpm.

Torque is a force, you can't use it without a direction of movement (in this case rotational movement). Multiply* it with engine speed and you'll get power. What you want is power across a wide rev range. If you only get high torque at low revs, and not much at higher revs, you won't produce a lot of power and that won't win you races.
The great thing about turbochargers of today, is that you can get a biiiiig plateau of torque across almost the whole rev range.
And electric motors can deliver tremendously high torque even when stalled (but they will smoke out pretty quickly if you keep them stalled of course). That means that even at low revs, you can get decent power out of them, and power means acceleration.

*(the actual formula: P=M*2*pi*N, which means Power in kilowatt = Torque in newtonmeter * 2*pi * engine rotations per second)

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 26, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

Power sells cars, torque wins races. The torque ratings are within 10 ft-lb of each other, (360 vs 369) and one article I just read says the GNX was obviously underrated and closer to 400 ft-lb. So yeah, it probably was faster/just as fast in a drag race.

OTOH That vast power discrepancy gives the Lambo a way higher top speed so if you extend the race beyond 1/4 mile then you are correct.

The GNX has a fuel cut I believe so it's real top end would be a far bit higher without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The GNX has a fuel cut I believe so it's real top end would be a far bit higher without it.

The fuel cut is there to prevent it from becoming a pile of flaming wreckage. It’s an 80s GM product, by which I mean it has a poo poo ton of aerodynamic lift, and gently caress-awful suspension.

…And I say that as a guy who thinks the GNX is cool as gently caress.