Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

You all better learn to love Villa and Dominus' voicelines, you'll hear them a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ruggan posted:

Make Molten Strike great again

I might but playing melee is definitely its own kind of hell.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qnqnx posted:

You all better learn to love Villa and Dominus' voicelines, you'll hear them a lot.

this world is an illusion, exile.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1558232874482290688

see, theyre listening, theyre making leveling better

I actually really like this, anything that helps speed up leveling alts is great in my book.

Overall I'm actually quite surprised by the unique rework as well. I was expecting mostly irrelevant small number increases but they heavily buffed a lot of the stats that actually make the items unique.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I like leveling uniques so long as they drop while I'm leveling. If they're rare enough that I'm unlikely to see them in the campaign, it's just a waste for me. I rarely play a second character - and if I do, it's because my first one bombed early enough that I didn't get far into maps anyways.

I'm sure it's good for those that make multiple characters a league, but I suspect those same people probably have the campaign down to 4-5 hours and have tons of good leveling sets already.

Which is to say, really comes down to how the drop rates end up. Guess we'll find out soon!

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

this world is an illusion, exile.

[after multiple maps in a row with no the sephirot cards or any good drops at all] the light of divinity.................

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

von Braun posted:

these tweets on every unique they post is so annoying and bad goddamn

I really don't get the people who live to bitch about the most trivial of poo poo in a game and don't just... stop playing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deki posted:

I really don't get the people who live to bitch about the most trivial of poo poo in a game and don't just... stop playing.

You need to be invested into something to complaint about the most trivial stuff in it. If I start playing a game just now and don't like it and leave a review of it it will certainly be about broad strokes, not a cynical one-off about some minor thing they added this patch I didn't even get to see.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

xZAOx posted:

Which is to say, really comes down to how the drop rates end up. Guess we'll find out soon!

Do you do league mechanics while leveling?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i thought the entire point of this mechanic is it doesn't have deterministic rewards

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bashez posted:

Always. I don't worry about hitting maps by Saturday, or even the first weekend

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
So is energy leech gonna be very good with that new Trickster 'ES leech not removed while full' node? Like you should get both the full and leeching damage bonuses if both are true, right?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

graynull posted:

So is energy leech gonna be very good with that new Trickster 'ES leech not removed while full' node? Like you should get both the full and leeching damage bonuses if both are true, right?

Correct.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bashez posted:

I did during harvest, but generally, no. Usually they always feel a lot tougher than the normal campaign, too, so not worth the time.

That said, this league mechanic seems neat, so I might do it a little more this time. Especially without anything really new at the endgame (Chris made the memories thing seem pretty rare, but we'll see), I'm not really in a big hurry to start grinding the atlas unlock.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I always do league mechanics because I find the challenge fun usually. The leveling uniques will be a major dopamine hit so I'm going to do the league as aggressively as possible. I enjoy leveling anyway.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Bashez posted:

Depends on the league mechanic. Quick ones like sentinel yeah, just hit the button and go.

Others like ultimatum that made you stand around a lot, no, skipped those.

I think the next league, the mechanic isn't going to take a lot of time so I suspect I might end up interacting with it at least at first to see what it's like, and then probably skip it in favour of getting to maps more quickly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bashez posted:

I'll do them if they take less than 3 clicks and 3 seconds of thinking. Abyss sure, Legion why not, Bestiary OK, Ritual maybe. Heist, Harvest, Synthesis, Expedition, get the hell outta here with that poo poo, especially if I'm looting splinters afterwards.

It's funny too because when it's a mercifully brainless mechanic like Delirium or Scourge, they made you backtrack to pick up splinters or literally rewind your progress.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
imo almost no one posting here is fast enough that they're significantly setting themselves back by doing mechanic during leveling and the upside of league mechanics at league start is pretty huge between rare items and potential uniques or currency drops. pretty much always worth it to do at least a handful of them in act 1 (or if you're in hardcore, maybe wait a bit or backtrack to do them if it doesn't seem insanely rippy, but I think we only have like 3-5 hardcore players in here). If I'm doing some extra runs of chamber of innocence or ba/foothills for gear/xp I'll do some league mechanic while I'm there because it's almost always worth it.

also lowkey good to get familiar with the league mechanic sooner than later because there's pretty much always some way to majorly capitalize on a league mechanic early if you understand it before the legion of poe economy youtubers have started making 'how to make a mirror in 4 days' videos about it

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I always try to do the league mechanic while leveling, at least on my first character of a league, on the off chance the scaling around the low/mid levels is hosed and I end up with a Tabula so early that I can't afford the mana cost of 6-linking a spell and can just grow into it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't typically do them while leveling, not because it's too slow but because it's not worth it. At least the actual new mechanic is generally worth it, but sometimes not when you're leveling (hello archnemesis for anything that wasn't berserker). But I do play with it long enough to get a feel for it. I think Heist was the other big offender recently-ish where it felt like a waste of your time to do much of it before maps.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

(or if you're in hardcore, maybe wait a bit or backtrack to do them if it doesn't seem insanely rippy, but I think we only have like 3-5 hardcore players in here)

Eh I still almost always try it. Yeah they can sometimes be super rippy and overturned but it’s way more fun to do blind and you’re not set that far back if you die early enough. Learning the bullshit at level 5 is a lot less expensive in hc than learning it at 70.

Recently they’ve been super generous at low levels too

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Do the first couple to get a feel for it, keep going if it feels like it's rewarding enough to warrant spending time on/quick enough to not be an issue.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I always level in a duo so we have set timings where we do league mechanics while the other person is running to the next section. But for the most part we skip 99% of them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Cinara posted:

I always level in a duo so we have set timings where we do league mechanics while the other person is running to the next section. But for the most part we skip 99% of them.

you're on my short list of exceptions for 'almost no one here is so fast that they're being slowed down significantly by running some league mechanic'

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i know you guys hate reddit but this made me laugh.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i like to do the league mechanic because i find leveling fun and league mechanics are typically neat or offer good items at least which are also fun to have

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

'ur hair look like a squiggle of toothpaste' lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Do you people that ignore the league mechanics on your first run through just run the same content every league?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

A lot of league mechanics early are good for uniques too. I've started more than one league by getting a tabula or goldrim or wanderlust by like, act 2, just by doing league stuff.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

My first character does league mechanics and all the sidequests and basically every optional thing prior to hitting kitava because the game is generally so loving busted at league start that I would rather just casually play while I wait for balance adjustments to go live after the first day or two.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Lol

E. If I cared about standard I would probably be mad that all my I've hoarded are now worth much less at a whim.

Of those three currencies i have used absolutely NONE of them (the joy of not trading i guess).

I did panic for a second when i confused Divines for Regals as i do use Regals from time to time. :kiddo:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

Not gonna lie this made me laugh out loud.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
RIP melee in 3.19 I guess?

https://twitter.com/CARNDARAK/status/1558311937372573696

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Despite the warnings I am undaunted in my flicker strike ambitions. I threw together a quick early-league idea and would like feedback on improvements (especially since I don't know the price of anything that can't be looked up on poe-antiquary): https://pastebin.com/Dgza4SG6

Bit too many passives for early mapping but can just lop off the right side to save those. Main feedback I'm looking for:
  • Is the damage actually workable for leaguestarting?
  • I looked at a crit version of this first, the main drawback there was it basically needed Overwhelm which meant I don't get the unaffected by bleed from Endless Hunger. It did about 20% more damage with about the same gear (couple mid crit-rolls on rings) but also had ~200 less life and was messing around with Marks to get that dps which I don't think I have the mana to sustain (and if I can use lifetap on it that sounds kind of dangerous too...).
  • Should I just use Pride instead of Banner + Arctic Armor? Or use Champion of the Cause + a mastery to fit both Pride and Banner?
  • How worth it is going around the right side? It's 23 passives past the Thick Skin cluster for 44% life, 2 frenzy charges and 2 jewel slots. I can't see much else to pick up there either. The obvious alternative is staying left and grabbing the Constitution/Martial Experience/Kinetic Impacts clusters and then annoint one of the frenzy charges, which seems to give me slightly more dps but ~150 less life (albeit compared to lovely jewels).
  • Should I be looking to build around Armor+Evasion, or just stick to Armor as I've been doing? What are my best options for more defensive layers on a leaguestarter budget?

If anyone has a better leaguestarter setup I am happy to swap, but I didn't see any good guides with the right trees/gear/gem-levels in some quick searching. Main issue with this is looks like boots will be 20 - 30c the first week which means I'll probably have to do some white maps before being able to go flicker. Oh well! I have several ideas for where I could take this build once actual currency is available, though most require a pretty big gear/tree rehaul. But it does need to clear yellow maps at least to get there.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 13, 2022

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Riftling posted:

Leagues and leagues ago, one of the most fun builds I've ever played was a one-tap Arc build that could instant phase Sirus. Archmage may still be not great, but with those Galvanic Field numbers and mirror jewelry I'm very tempted to bring it back. I guess I'll start PoBing ascendencies for it over the next week.

Do it.

If you're not cold converting and jammin' that baby into the new Bitterdream, are you really living?

Deki posted:

I've got a couple of questions if anyone's done a Doriyani's prototype build before, preferably in scourge:

How big is the Lightning resist aura? Is it enough I won't have to worry too much about it, or will I have to be slightly close to whatever I'm fighting?

Is the name of the game stacking as much -res as possible or is there a negative bound that it's capped to?

Do you go whole hog into armor or go for Divine Flesh to mitigate Lightning?

The boyfriend played a Doryani's Prototype build this league and would not recommend it as a general purpose build. As Zero VGS said lightning dots will gently caress you up big time unless you convert lightning damage away (because it reads 'Armour also applies to Lightning Damage taken from Hits'). Previously you only encountered lightning dots in specific boss fights, but now with the archnemesis changes, the Mana Siphoner mod (besides being annoying AF to begin with) also happens to deal lightning dot damage and will be absolutely terrifying to you.

It is a fantastic build if you're target farming specific kinds of content, because you can really get a lot done with very little budget. But as a generalist build, you will run into random edge cases that feel janky and awful.

It also synergizes both well but also terribly with Headhunter, because sometimes you pick up a buff that gives you 90% allres and suddenly your dps dives off a cliff. Hopefully you'll also be attacking 800 times a second to make up for it but it's always hilarious when it happens. This is the kind of poo poo I mean by 'poor QoL'.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

FZeroRacer posted:

* drop the fortify node (if you're pure melee like this build you can have perma fortify through the mastery) and get Adrenaline. there are multiple ways to trigger Adrenaline and it's a massive DPS boost

You do not ever under any circumstances drop the Fortify node on Champ. Its literally the reason you go Champ and the biggest reason why its such a strong ascendancy.

FZeroRacer posted:

* you can dump the mark nodes and a few others to invest in impale nodes instead, letting you drop impale support in favor of lifetap which solves your mana issues.

Cleave has a low mana cost and works perfectly fine with Elreon crafts. Switching in Lifetap is a massive damage loss, since you don't just have to get Impale nodes, you also want the Physical Mastery for 40% Lifetap damage and probably Cannibalistic Rite too. Thats not doable on a crit build.

FZeroRacer posted:

* you could drop melee phys and replace it with rage for more DPS and better overall feel at max rage, and this also opens up Berserk for far more dps during boss fights

Rage is an option, but its a lot of micro-management for not a lot of gain.

Overall Melee is going to be fine. Earthshatter is fine, Earthquake is fine, maybe Sunder will be good, Lightning Strike is great. Molten Strike is fine, its biggest issue is that Lightning Strike exists. Rage Vortex and Shield Crush are both good skills too.
Stuff like Cleave/Sweep/Bladestorm is usable as well.
With the big outliers EA/Seismic/DD nerfed I don't think melee is in a worse state than spells anymore. Yes, you have a lower uptime on bosses than ranged and DoT builds, but melee can scale very hard to make up for it. Just don't expect to ever have fun fighting Uber Sirus

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If you don't wipe to the league mechanic on The Coast are you even living

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Do you people that ignore the league mechanics on your first run through just run the same content every league?

I do basically the same as whypick1: do it a little bit at first then if it seems time-consuming or looks like it needs "figuring out' to do it well, then I skip until maps or until others figure it out

But no I don't do the same content every league, I didn't even do the same content this whole league. I significantly re-specced my Atlas Tree between like 5 or 6 different major layouts: one for map sustain on league start, then 3 or 4 for different farming strategies (glacier, juiced delirious crimson temples, boss rush on Mesa/City Square, etc.), and then one for Ubers. And I swapped back and forth between those probably like 15-20 times total. And even then I would disable/enable various stuff at the start. The only stuff I really avoided was Abyss (which I even ran on the Crimson Temple stuff because of the quant it gave, but didn't run the Abyssal Depths), Heist (because I don't like it), Metamorph (just not worth it), and Blight usually (I actually don't mind Blight but it's kinda slow for my taste and my builds weren't super-great at it anyway).

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I never do the league mechanic until at least Foothills, probably maps. Campaign is quick and relatively painless as it is and stopping for basically anything is just a waste of time for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im not an expert but it seems like the real reason melee will suck is slower and more expensive crafting means it's gonna take longer and more effort to get crucial upgrades compared to say, a mid tier build like poison scourge arrow that can just get a darkscorn and be fine. or basically any spellcaster where they might want one or two uniques but otherwise only cares about raw stats that can roll on seemingly anything these days. hell maybe the lake will give you a 50% cast speed -40% res ring and the only cost is you might need to have a slightly better shield or some poo poo.