Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Also I know hypocrisy isn't real and neither is nuance but I'm not looking forward to hearing the Fox News standup segment of "Dems choose to ignore elections they don't like" given uhh, the last two cycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

NH can hold the primary whenever they want, but the DNC won't recognize their delegates if they don't have it on the appointed day. Similar to what happened in 2008 with Michigan and Florida.

Right. And NH absolutely will not move it’s primary date. One reason being we are a fairly small state that actually has pretty well run elections and as such we can react a lot more easily to changing dates than other states.

I’m a NH resident and I think it’s a good idea to adjust some of this stuff to have less white states go sooner but then I saw the DNC handed the first 2024 primary to SC instead of a more progressive state so gently caress them. California, NY, and NJ have more diverse populations than SC but no we gotta have the state that saved Biden go first.

To me this looks more like a show of appealing to fairness while trying to ensure they can put their thumb on the scale for more centrist candidates.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

funkymonks posted:

Right. And NH absolutely will not move it’s primary date. One reason being we are a fairly small state that actually has pretty well run elections and as such we can react a lot more easily to changing dates than other states.

I’m a NH resident and I think it’s a good idea to adjust some of this stuff to have less white states go sooner but then I saw the DNC handed the first 2024 primary to SC instead of a more progressive state so gently caress them. California, NY, and NJ have more diverse populations than SC but no we gotta have the state that saved Biden go first.

To me this looks more like a show of appealing to fairness while trying to ensure they can put their thumb on the scale for more centrist candidates.

Is the SC Democratic primary electorate actually more centrist than a different equivalent state? It's more that they are more favorable to candidates popular with black voters (which are usually not the same as the candidates popular with the white liberal activist base, so it can lead to more centrist results), but not necessarily more centrist ideologically.

Jesse Jackson, Obama, and John Edwards all won South Carolina.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 5, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Real ID for air travel has become the new Medicare provider cuts - they just get delayed every single year for decades.

The law was first passed in 2005.

South Carolina and Maine refused to issue real ID compliant driver's licenses for about 10 years and they just kept kicking back the deadline because they didn't want to punish people who happened to be from S.C. or Maine.

As of 2021, SC and Maine both folded and now every state ID is real ID compliant. I'm guessing they are going to keep delaying it another 5 to 10 years to make sure everyone cycles through their old IDs.

Still really silly that we have to do all this crazy stuff just because some people think having your ID issued by the federal government is the mark of the beast, but the state government is not in league with Satan and their IDs are fine.

Instead, in the U.S. we have to give the guy who works at the cell phone store and our internet provider the number that is used to access our pension and fill out every major financial form because there is no other way to verify identity in the country.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1599787376745783299
We'll all be dead and this law will still get pushed back

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's been hard living with COVID for the past 17 years

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

funkymonks posted:

California and New York are wildly larger and more expensive states to campaign in, as is the Philadelphia media market which you would need to make ad buys in for NJ

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

funkymonks posted:

It's a bit dodgy to blame the voters of South Carolina (and the other SEC states) for not voting for a campaign that simply gave no fucks.

NYT's post-concession reporting matches reporting leading in to the primary: The Sanders campaign didn't care about South Carolina performance and felt that their resources were better spent elsewhere.

quote:

There were also serious operational mistakes: In South Carolina, the campaign effectively deputized a former Ohio state senator and loyal surrogate, Nina Turner, to direct strategy, rather than empowering a political strategist to run the pivotal early state.

In January, efforts by Ms. Turner and others to direct some campaign resources into Super Tuesday states fizzled against opposition from Mr. Shakir and others. Mr. Shakir was adamant that Mr. Sanders’s path to the nomination ran principally through Iowa, New Hampshire and Nevada, and the California primary on Super Tuesday.

quote:

The pollster, Ben Tulchin, in a meeting with campaign aides, recommended a new offensive to influence older black voters, according to three people briefed on his presentation. The data showed two clear vulnerabilities for Mr. Biden: his past support for overhauling Social Security, and his authorship of a punitive criminal justice law in the 1990s.

But the suggestion met with resistance. Some senior advisers argued that it wasn’t worth diverting resources from Iowa and New Hampshire, people familiar with the campaign’s deliberations said. Others pressed Mr. Tulchin on what kind of message, exactly, would make voters rethink their support for the most loyal ally of the first black president.

Stop me if you've heard this before: We're going to put her in charge of a task we feel is impossible and deny her the support and resources she says she needs because it's actually not important to our strategy at all. The story also reproduces a memo arguing that their internal polling showing a 4% loss was far more accurate than the public polling that accurately predicted the shellacking... one of a few listed examples of the campaign being high on its own supply.

The campaign strategy was that they'd have no chance with older black voters and that was fine because they didn't need them to win. What they apparently(?) failed to recognize is that the rest of the field would see the obvious: There was no path to victory if nobody was splitting delegates in South Carolina and a huge chunk of Super Tuesday, and none of their asses were anywhere near viability in those states. To reiterate from an earlier post on this: Bernie received 4 more delegates from Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada combined than Biden did from Alabama on Super Tuesday.

In practice, this is the furthest thing from putting their thumb on the scales for centrists--- it takes what has spent the past 2 cycles as a centrist gimmie and carves it up to a much wider field. Still, this is the DNC, so I can't dismiss the idea they're trying to rig it and are too dumb to realize it'll have the opposite effect...

Is the SC Democratic primary electorate actually more centrist than a different equivalent state? It's more that they are more favorable to candidates popular with black voters (which are usually not the same as the candidates popular with the white liberal activist base, so it can lead to more centrist results), but not necessarily more centrist ideologically.

I'm going to quote an informative C-SPAM post here because I can't be arsed to recreate the analysis:

galenanorth posted:

https://www.cnn.com/election/2020/primaries-caucuses/entrance-and-exit-polls
https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/state/south-carolina/party-affiliation/

Aside from having an open primary, 50% of South Carolina Democrats self-describe as moderate or conservative, 15% higher than in other states. I tried spending some time compiling statistics on its Dems' beliefs compared to other states by issue, but there's another graph that breaks it down the opposite way -- what percentage with certain beliefs are Dems -- and got confused. Anyway, you can see for abortion and same-sex marriage, 53% of Dems think it should be legal, lower than almost any other state except Alabama, e.g. 69% in Minnesota, I'd say 16% gap is about right, feels like I should be referencing a national average for that. For "is helping the poor good?", it's better than others: 77% vs. 78% in Minnesota, 70% in Michigan, 68% in Georgia, 67% in Nevada, 71% in California, 74% in Alabama. For environmental regulation, same states as before, 67% vs. 80%, 69%, 72%, 69%, 74%, 61%.

edit: It feels like this should all be on a map or something, I don't know why it's not on an interactive map. Also, this is 2014 data, so at least there's that. Also, I would've liked to have known South Carolina Democrat positions on issues like policing and racial discrimination issues compared to other states

edit2: Michigan is 66% and 71% on same-sex marriage and abortion. Georgia is 56% and 62% on same-sex marriage and abortion. Nevada is 67% and 77% on same-sex marriage and abortion. California is 74% and 69% on abortion. Alabama is 50% and 52% on same-sex marriage and abortion. Tennessee is 47% on same-sex marriage and 56% on abortion.
Mind, it's not as if Dem presidential primaries are teeming with antichoice, antigay candidates.

Overall it's mostly a trio of arguments that get my hackles up here and the thread has seen a version of all 3 in the past week:
  1. something underhanded (usually Clyburn) must have been behind Biden winning in a state no other real candidate sorry Steyer tried to contest
  2. The state no progressive has attempted to win in 13-18 years (depending on how you feel about campaign Obama) supports moderates because they keep winning there
  3. The state keeps voting red so why should they get an early primary

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Exit polls at the time suggested that the South Carolina Dem primary electorate had more people who self-identified as moderate or conservative than Iowa, NH, and Nevada did, and Biden led Sanders among those groups.

However, Biden also led Sanders among self-identified "liberal" or "very liberal" voters.

The defining features of South Carolina's Democratic primary in 2020 weren't ideology, but rather age and race. The voters were majority black and overwhelmingly old, and both black voters and old voters generally preferred Biden over Bernie. Meanwhile, white South Carolinan Dems were noticeably less favorable toward Biden, and young white voters hated him the most by far. NBC's exit polls laid it out pretty starkly:

You can see Biden's support grow as the voters get younger, but even among the youngest groups, he's still doing way better with black voters than with white voters. Meanwhile, only the oldest whites appeared to like Biden, with the youngest whites even preferring the likes of Buttigieg or Warren over Biden.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The largest single recipient of Covid relief funds in 2020 was the Chinese government.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1599787696871841792

I haven’t been able to tell where in the article it says the Chinese government was the recipient. it kind of goes out of its way to avoid saying that imo.

quote:

Hackers [linked to the Chinese government](https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/china-hacked-least-six-us-state-governments-report-says-rcna19255) stole at least $20 million in U.S. Covid relief benefits, including Small Business Administration loans and unemployment insurance funds in over a dozen states, according to [the Secret Service](https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/secret-service-recovers-286-million-stolen-covid-relief-funds-rcna44886).

The theft of taxpayer funds by the Chengdu-based hacking group known as APT41 is the first instance of [pandemic fraud](https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/new-covid-fraud-prosecutor-steps-effort-convict-people-stole-billions-rcna19536) tied to foreign, state-sponsored cybercriminals that the U.S. government has acknowledged publicly, but may just be the tip of the iceberg, according to U.S. law enforcement officials and cybersecurity experts.

The officials and experts, most speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject matter, say other federal investigations of pandemic fraud also seem to point back to foreign state-affiliated hackers.

“It would be crazy to think this group didn’t target all 50 states,” said Roy Dotson, national pandemic fraud recovery coordinator for the Secret Service, who also acts as a liaison to other federal agencies probing Covid fraud.

The Secret Service declined to confirm the scope of other investigations, saying there are more than 1,000 ongoing investigations involving transnational and domestic criminal actors defrauding public benefits programs, and APT41 is “a notable player.”

And whether the Chinese government directed APT41 to loot U.S. taxpayer funds or simply looked the other way, multiple current and former U.S. officials say, the theft itself is a troubling development that raises the stakes. One senior Justice Department official called it “dangerous” and said it had serious national security implications.

“I’ve never seen them target government money before,” said John Hultquist, the head of intelligence analysis at the cybersecurity firm Mandiant. “That would be an escalation.”

The Chinese Embassy in Washington did not respond to requests for comment.

## **‘The horse is out of the barn’**

As soon as state governments began disbursing Covid unemployment funds in 2020, cybercriminals began to siphon off a significant percentage.

The Labor Department Office of Inspector General has reported an improper payment rate of roughly 20% for the $872.5 billion in federal pandemic unemployment funds, though the true cost of the fraud is likely higher, administration officials from multiple agencies say.

In-depth analysis of four states showed 42.4% of pandemic benefits were paid improperly in the first six months, the department’s watchdog [reported to Congress](https://www.oig.dol.gov/public/semiannuals/88.pdf) last week.

A [Heritage Foundation analysis](https://www.heritage.org/impact/heritage-fellow-rachel-greszler-testifies-congress-unemployment-insurance) of Labor Department data estimated excess unemployment benefits payments of more than $350 billion from April 2020 to May 2021.

“Whether it’s 350, 400 or 500 billion, at this point, the horse is out of the barn,” said Linda Miller, the former deputy executive director of the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee, the federal government’s Covid relief fraud watchdog.

![Acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Michael R. Sherwin speaks about charges and arrests related to a computer intrusion campaign tied to the Chinese government by a group called APT 41 at the Department of Justice on Sept. 16, 2020, in Washington.](https://media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com/image/upload/t_fit-760w,f_auto,q_auto:best/rockcms/2022-12/221201-apt-41-group-jm-1612-6631e4.jpg)Michael R. Sherwin, the acting U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, speaks about charges and arrests related to a computer intrusion campaign tied to the Chinese government by a group called APT 41 at the Justice Department on Sept. 16, 2020.Tasos Katopodis / Pool via Getty Images file

By the time Covid relief funds appeared as a target of opportunity in 2020, APT41, which emerged more than a decade ago, had already become the “workhorse” of cyberespionage operations that benefit the Chinese government, according to cyber experts and current and former officials from multiple agencies. The Secret Service said in a statement that it considers APT41 a **“**Chinese state-sponsored, cyberthreat group that is highly adept at conducting espionage missions and financial crimes for personal gain.”

Ambassador Nathaniel Fick, the head of the State Department’s Bureau of Cyberspace and Digital Policy, said cyberespionage is a long-time Chinese national priority aimed at strengthening its geopolitical position.

“The United States is target No. 1, because we are competitor No. 1,” Fick told NBC News. “It’s a really comprehensive, multi-decade, well-considered, well-resourced, well-planned, well-executed strategy.”

American officials have blamed Chinese hackers for [the Office of Personnel Management](https://www.fbi.gov/news/speeches/t...e-united-states), [the Anthem Health](https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/member-sophisticated-china-based-hacking-group-indicted-series-computer-intrusions-including) and [the Equifax breaches](https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/chinese-hackers-charged-in-equifax-breach-021020), among others.

The experts and officials describe the Chinese model of “state-sponsored” hackers as a network of semi-independent groups conducting contract work in service of government espionage. The Chinese government may direct a hacking group to attack a certain target. APT41, also known to cybersecurity firms as Winnti, Barium and Wicked Panda, fits the model and is considered a particularly prolific Chinese intelligence asset, known to commit financial crimes on the side.

Demian Ahn, a former assistant U.S. attorney who indicted five APT41 hackers in 2019 and 2020, said the evidence showed the group had tremendous reach and resources. The defendants, who were accused of infiltrating governments and companies around the world while conducting ransomware attacks and mining cryptocurrency, talked “about having tens of thousands of machines at one time, as part of their efforts to obtain information about others, and also to generate criminal profits.” None of the five Chinese nationals indicted have been extradited, and the cases remain open.

APT41’s intrusion methods have included hacking legitimate software and weaponizing it against innocent users, including businesses and governments. Another tactic involves tracking public disclosures about security flaws in legitimate software. APT41 uses that information to target customers who don’t immediately update their software, according to a former Justice Department official familiar with the group.

The primary purpose of APT41’s state-directed activity, the experts and officials say, is believed to be collecting personally identifying information and data about American citizens, institutions and businesses that can be used by China for espionage purposes.

“They have the patience, the sophistication and the resources to carry out hacking that has a direct impact on national security,” said a former Justice Department official familiar with the group.

[Law enforcement officials](https://www.fbi.gov/news/speeches/t...e-united-states) and [counterintelligence experts ](https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sites/default/files/documents/os-bevanina-080421.pdf)have testified to Congress that by now, every adult American has had all or most of their personal data stolen by the Chinese government.

## **‘Wild West’**

Beijing has increasingly turned its focus to breaching U.S. critical infrastructure in recent years, say current and former officials and China and cybersecurity experts, [with worldwide campaigns driven by APT41](https://www.mandiant.com/resources/blog/apt41-initiates-global-intrusion-campaign-using-multiple-exploits).

China’s targets include state governments, which can have inadequate cybersecurity defenses. “The state governments don’t allocate a lot of cyber protection money to their state IT infrastructure,” said William Evanina, the former director of the National Counterintelligence and Security Center, part of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence. “So it’s really an unprotected Wild West.”

The Covid fraud scheme that the Secret Service has publicly linked to APT41 began in mid-2020 and spanned 2,000 accounts associated with more than 40,000 financial transactions.

“Where their sophistication comes in is the ability to work heavily and quickly,” the agency's Dotson said.

The agency said it has been able to recover about half of the stolen $20 million.

But while Evanina and other officials and experts consider APT41’s breach of state systems a national security issue, they aren’t convinced that stealing Covid funds was a goal of the Chinese government. Such thefts increase the risk of criminal prosecution and make it harder for China to obscure the state’s role. They believe that the Chinese government may have simply tolerated the hackers making a profit off their labors.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nothing underhanded, really. The heart of the Confederacy voted for the segregationist, and everybody else sighed in relief that they finally had the silver bullet to stop the commie.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Riptor posted:

California and New York are wildly larger and more expensive states to campaign in, as is the Philadelphia media market which you would need to make ad buys in for NJ

You'd have to buy NYC ads as well for NJ, which for obvious reasons is expensive as hell.

A smaller state going first makes a lot of sense, it makes door-to-door campaign count more and benefits less well-funded and well-known candidates, which I think is a decent bias to have towards the beginning of the cycle.

On the other hand smaller states tend to be less diverse, so you need to find the right balance of size and diversity, which leaves us with .... Hawaii?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mawarannahr posted:

I haven’t been able to tell where in the article it says the Chinese government was the recipient. it kind of goes out of its way to avoid saying that imo.

Yeah, I was being a little facetious. The group (APT41) is also the same group behind the "Double Dragon" attacks that were contracted by the Chinese Ministry of Defense. This specific attack may have been China looking the other way and allowing them to take the money instead of China actually taking the money directly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ninjahedgehog posted:

You'd have to buy NYC ads as well for NJ, which for obvious reasons is expensive as hell.

A smaller state going first makes a lot of sense, it makes door-to-door campaign count more and benefits less well-funded and well-known candidates, which I think is a decent bias to have towards the beginning of the cycle.

On the other hand smaller states tend to be less diverse, so you need to find the right balance of size and diversity, which leaves us with .... Hawaii?

Maryland, Delaware, Wisconsin, and Colorado are fairly small and diverse states.

Sadly, none of them were even in consideration. Minnesota is pretty close to fitting the bill and was almost picked to be one of the first states.

Also, they are going to "review" the state line up every cycle (but, that doesn't mean they are definitely going to change them every cycle), so the 2024 lineup might be kind of pointless if Biden runs again.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

ninjahedgehog posted:

Right i meant that in addition to all the negatives about campaigning for NY, NJ also would necessitate a second premium ad market. It's the worst of all worlds

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Maryland, Delaware, Wisconsin, and Colorado are fairly small and diverse states.

Sadly, none of them were even in consideration. Minnesota is pretty close to fitting the bill and was almost picked to be one of the first states.

Also, they are going to "review" the state line up every cycle (but, that doesn't mean they are definitely going to change them every cycle), so the 2024 lineup might be kind of pointless if Biden runs again.

Washington State. Hawaii would also be an excellent candidate.

I’m not sure why everyone keeps ignoring it, but it’s sitting right there up in the corner and it’s certainly more racially diverse than Minnesota and has very large unions.

It’s just weird that only one state west of the Mississippi gets the early treatment and anything touching the pacific is always ignored.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Byzantine posted:

Nothing underhanded, really. The heart of the Confederacy voted for the segregationist, and everybody else sighed in relief that they finally had the silver bullet to stop the commie.

Keep wondering why you can't seem to make inroads with black democrats honky.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Solkanar512 posted:

Washington State. Hawaii would also be an excellent candidate.

I’m not sure why everyone keeps ignoring it, but it’s sitting right there up in the corner and it’s certainly more racially diverse than Minnesota and has very large unions.

It’s just weird that only one state west of the Mississippi gets the early treatment and anything touching the pacific is always ignored.

It’s not that much more diverse in WA just 73% white instead of 83%. Hawaii on the other hand is 24%.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

This whole thread is about the consequences of the power being out in Moore county after the terror attack. I found this one to be the most interesting:

https://twitter.com/A_Wilkins_/status/1599876400026378240?t=iOdQIWhGQmbnK9pFHxJynA&s=19

So, uh, at least the person who claimed to know why it happened got yelled at?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mawarannahr posted:

It’s not that much more diverse in WA just 73% white instead of 83%. Hawaii on the other hand is 24%.

Race wasn’t the only criteria, which is why I mentioned union membership. Not sure why you completely ignored that.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That's not a southernism.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Twincityhacker posted:

This whole thread is about the consequences of the power being out in Moore county after the terror attack. I found this one to be the most interesting:

https://twitter.com/A_Wilkins_/status/1599876400026378240?t=iOdQIWhGQmbnK9pFHxJynA&s=19

So, uh, at least the person who claimed to know why it happened got yelled at?

I was born and raised in rural Mississippi and have never heard word of prayer used like that. It is not a southernism.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I was born and raised in rural Mississippi and have never heard word of prayer used like that. It is not a southernism.

I grew up in NC a bit more than an hour from where this happened and I've never heard it used that way either.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Maybe it's just in their town? IDK, the dude was interviewed by the New York Times, so I just know he a) exists and b) from there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well I’m from Utica and I’ve never heard anyone use the phrase

haveblue fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 6, 2022

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
It's more of an Albany expression.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Hawaii should replace Iowa as perennial first. No longer would we be held hostage by phallic food at the state fair, blue jeans, and corn subsidiaries. Instead our elections will be based on luaus, Hawaiian shirts, and Haoles loving off.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Gyges posted:

Hawaii should replace Iowa as perennial first. No longer would we be held hostage by phallic food at the state fair, blue jeans, and corn subsidiaries. Instead our elections will be based on luaus, Hawaiian shirts, and Haoles loving off.

You'd see a lot of candidates coming just to throw their hat into the Hawaii Primary and campaign there for three months straight on their donors' dime

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Morrow posted:

You'd see a lot of candidates coming just to throw their hat into the Hawaii Primary and campaign there for three months straight on their donors' dime

Yes I was going to say it will be hard to a campaign to look like they are "working hard on the trail" when everything is in hawaii - people already complain when senators/govs are off at a corn fair.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Problematic Pigeon posted:

It's more of an Albany expression.

Goddamnit I was just coming to make that reply!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I support Hawaii primary if it means we can use Spam as the great filter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

7c Nickel posted:

Keep wondering why you can't seem to make inroads with black democrats honky.

Well, you've at least got to be happy now, you got the candidate you wanted?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Can't wait to see Ted Cruz order a shaved ice with absolutely no flavors or toppings on it.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

How are primaries coordinated between the parties.

Like the Dems want South Carolina to be first, but what if the GOP wants it to stay where it is?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Ither posted:

How are primaries coordinated between the parties.

Like the Dems want South Carolina to be first, but what if the GOP wants it to stay where it is?

The parties bear the cost for holding the primary elections, that doesn't change if they are on the same day or different days.

There might be some savings for having them on the same day in each state, but there isn't a requirement.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Old James posted:

The parties bear the cost for holding the primary elections, that doesn't change if they are on the same day or different days.

There might be some savings for having them on the same day in each state, but there isn't a requirement.

It does cause issues for the parties as far as getting voters to show up to vote though. Back when I worked at a library, every single cycle would have us explaining to people why they can't vote in the election now. Either they would show up to vote for the city elections, we weren't part of the city, or for the wrong primary date because of which news they were watching. The best were when people would show up demanding to vote on Super Tuesday. We are not a Super Tuesday state, usually voting before then.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

beerinator posted:

I grew up in NC a bit more than an hour from where this happened and I've never heard it used that way either.

I was born and raised in NC and I knew it the way the sheriff said. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be skeptical.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Gyges posted:

Can't wait to see Ted Cruz order a shaved ice with absolutely no flavors or toppings on it.

That'd be his preferred way since he absorbs it through his skin.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

beerinator posted:

Also grew up an hour from Moore County and I’ve never heard that bullshit expression.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Slowpoke! posted:

Also grew up an hour from Moore County and I’ve never heard that bullshit expression.

They should have said 'had a come to jesus meeting'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Starting in August, Rick Scott and the NRSC started coming under internal firefor what smelled a lot like fraud.

Luckily, there has been no controversy sinc:lol::lol::lol::
https://twitter.com/isaac_schorr/status/1599864936250761216
https://twitter.com/isaac_schorr/status/1599864942651658241
https://twitter.com/isaac_schorr/status/1599864947714191360
https://twitter.com/isaac_schorr/status/1599864953070301185

Schorr, for reference, is a former National Review Online guy so this isn't exactly Scott slapfighting with lefty media