Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Subjunctive posted:

Man if that works on carrots I might have to buy one. Fuckin’ hate dicing carrots.

I hate that, too, so I solved it by never dicing carrots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I hate that, too, so I solved it by never dicing carrots.

I don't know if it's dicing but I just quarter it length-wise and then chop away with a knife. It's literally one of the easiest if not the easiest vegetable to cut to pieces for soup.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I had one of those veggie choppers and thought my life would change, but then after having to wash all the individual pieces after use, I went back to knife and board.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Anyway, they have an optical-output model, I think I'll change my mind to that, even though it has the stupid knob and no NFC. Surely all-digital is the way to go!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004707358620.html

This arrived in the mail yesterday. Cables are included:
* USB-A to USB-C for power (power adaptor not included)
* RCA cable for coaxial S/PDIF
* Aux cable (stereo mini-plug (TRS))
* S/PDIF fiber optical cable

About all I can say about it is that it works. I get sound into my AVR and it doesn't seem to add any noise - one win for S/PDIF coaxial. Didn't test the optical or aux, and I never intend to. Will not use the SD card reader.

The big stupid knob raises or lowers the volume if you hold it for half a second, which is reflected in the volume on your phone, as is expected with bluetooth devices. So, volume is more conveniently handled on the transmitting phone. This one will go inside my entertainment center so I plan to promptly forget about the knob.

I have not done any critical listening yet but I assume this uses some fairly lovely bluetooth profile which hifi nerds would scoff at. Whatever, I'm over 40 so I don't exactly have golden ears anymore.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Alright guys, time for another cheap mono bluetooth earphone update. I put the detail in the photo so feel free to repost it.

Just search "5.2 single earphone/earbud" and you should find all of them.

So after I brought #1, I noticed all the new earbud with a battery display built-in all advertise as "bluetooth 5.2 earphones" so I guess they all share the same chip inside. They all sell for $7-8 shipped. I decided to get all of them because I can't resist cheap mono earbud.

#1 is interesting, it's the only one that doesn't support multipoint and has this unique feature of letting pair 2 of these mono buds together and make them a stereo pair. I tested it and they do have proper left and right channels. I thought it was a great earbud, but after using it for a while, I found that it's a bit heavy and center of the gravity is too outside. I basically have to switch ear every hour.

#2 is comfortable to wear. It has not physical button, or it has the worst capacity button. I can't tell. I can't keep it in the car or hiking bag as a backup, because the slightest movement will turn it on and steal the connection from the earphone I am currently using. Also, I wear it in the shower. And the moist just slowly killing the digit LCD components one by one. So I end up getting number display that looks like alien hieroglyphs.

#3 has a strange shape. It's like an oval cylinder shape with a traditional bud base. I was skeptical but found out it actually fitted the hole in the my ear very well. It's comfortable and doesn't press on any part of the ear too hard. Water can't get in during shower. And I can sleep with it easier than other buds. Oh one more thing about these mono buds, none of them have intermittent blinking light during normal operation, So they are evening friendly.

#4 I just ordered it for completion's sake. It's even bigger in person. The center of gravity is outside of your ear. It's like wearing a funnel on your ear. Also only bud that I notice bad sound. I predict it will disappear off ali very quickly

===========================================

Also update on the Star Trek shirt.

I made the right decision of ordering medium, it fits my US medium body every well. Probably on the slim fit size but the shoulder width is definitive US medium.

The polyester fabric is very good. I would say as comfortable as other summer shirt but thin so there is wrinkle you want to iron out at least one time.
Two issues, you can tell the original image is low rec. Both my photo and the ali photo show brighter and more contract image than the actual fabric. I think the printing process can't make the write point too white that's the problem. So I suggest you pick for a very contrasty and bright image to start. It's actually very subtle in person. I can easily wear it in the office and nobody will notice it.

Anyway, I got my Star Trek shirt, I just need some kind of Picard medallion to complete my RLM Expo outfit.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 17, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also update on the Star Trek shirt.

drat, I thought I didn't want that shirt, but now I do.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

This arrived in the mail yesterday. Cables are included:
* USB-A to USB-C for power (power adaptor not included)
* RCA cable for coaxial S/PDIF
* Aux cable (stereo mini-plug (TRS))
* S/PDIF fiber optical cable

About all I can say about it is that it works. I get sound into my AVR and it doesn't seem to add any noise - one win for S/PDIF coaxial. Didn't test the optical or aux, and I never intend to. Will not use the SD card reader.

The big stupid knob raises or lowers the volume if you hold it for half a second, which is reflected in the volume on your phone, as is expected with bluetooth devices. So, volume is more conveniently handled on the transmitting phone. This one will go inside my entertainment center so I plan to promptly forget about the knob.

I have not done any critical listening yet but I assume this uses some fairly lovely bluetooth profile which hifi nerds would scoff at. Whatever, I'm over 40 so I don't exactly have golden ears anymore.

Thanks for the review! I thought about ordering one of these for my parents too, but then found a cheapo BT->3.5mm USB powered stick in my drawer, so I'll start with that.

Probably an older version of this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001426038925.html

I quickly tested it with my phone and it works perfectly fine, volume on the phone as expected. Pretty good range and the sound quality is easily good enough.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

My couch thanks you

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

Does anyone know what the deal with the n95 processor that some of the other models of these mini pcs have instead of the n100? It seems like it has like twice the TDP of the n100 but is cheaper (computers with it seem to be ~$50 cheaper than with the n100). If it's supposed to be higher performance it seems weird that the number is lower and it's cheaper but otherwise it's weird that the TDP is higher.

I can't find any good information but googling I found this speculation in a comment on a website which seems plausible:

If so it seems like it would be best to avoid it it (better to pay a bit more for the computer to run quieter) but if the performance is somehow better than the n100 it would be more tempting I guess.

Coming back to this, there's a fresh review of the N95 Beelink, and he did the N100 Morefine M9 previously so it's in the benchmarks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7HWTwAyGNY

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

henpod posted:

I had one of those veggie choppers and thought my life would change, but then after having to wash all the individual pieces after use, I went back to knife and board.
agreed, you need a dishwasher. It doesn’t save time if you end up trying to poke a sponge in every little square of the blades

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

mobby_6kl posted:

Just order your pills from AliExpress like a normal person

it looks like they arent easy to find anymore but they used to openly sell pill pressing machines on aliexpress and im sure it was 1000% more likely to get you put onto a watchlist than buying explosives on the internet

mystes
May 31, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Coming back to this, there's a fresh review of the N95 Beelink, and he did the N100 Morefine M9 previously so it's in the benchmarks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7HWTwAyGNY
It seems to perform pretty well. OTOH it has weird downsides like a slower m.2 slot and if you look at the price difference I just don't know if it makes sense to buy the n95 version

E.g. on amaaon you can get the n95/8gb/256gb beelink model for $160 right now but the n100/16gb/500gb model for $190 so unless you're sure you will never want more ram/disk space (which admittedly you might not if it's purely an htpc) it just makes no sense to me to buy the cheaper one

Also, it seems like the n95 was never officially announced so if it's really just a way to use chips that had some sort of defect it might go away soon anyway

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

It seems to perform pretty well. OTOH it has weird downsides like a slower m.2 slot and if you look at the price difference I just don't know if it makes sense to buy the n95 version

E.g. on amaaon you can get the n95/8gb/256gb beelink model for $160 right now but the n100/16gb/500gb model for $190 so unless you're sure you will never want more ram/disk space (which admittedly you might not if it's purely an htpc) it just makes no sense to me to buy the cheaper one

Also, it seems like the n95 was never officially announced so if it's really just a way to use chips that had some sort of defect it might go away soon anyway
It's on ARK but not listed as part of the Alder Lake-N series (unlike the N97) so yeah maybe it's crippled version for budget Chinese PCs.

It seems to do fine if you adjust the power limit but it's pretty bizarre, I posted this in the SH/SC Intel thread:

I'm pretty confused by the power situation. My N5100 has a TDP of 6W and will not go over like 3.5-4W package in any single core workload (1.5w of it is base idle power). Yet here he's seeing a difference between 20W and 30W PL1!? :confused:

And somehow changing the power limit, despite boosting the performance, doesn't actually impact the draw at the wall very much so it ends up matching the N100 in CB while using 10 fewer watts :confused: :confused:

Might be just sketchy benchmarks though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I know a kid who wants to play GTA 5, is that somehow doable on one of these boxes? I can't find any videos of someone doing it, somehow.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flipperwaldt posted:

I know a kid who wants to play GTA 5, is that somehow doable on one of these boxes? I can't find any videos of someone doing it, somehow.

On one of these N95/N100s, not really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPGeXF-yKqw&t=414s

But there other models that would run it reasonably well. Probably something with an AMD APU

E: maybe something like this, but no idea if that'd be worth it

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005166470137.html

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 17, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't know if it's dicing but I just quarter it length-wise and then chop away with a knife. It's literally one of the easiest if not the easiest vegetable to cut to pieces for soup.

Yeah, I do that too when I don’t want them diced.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

On one of these N95/N100s, not really:
[video]

But there other models that would run it reasonably well. Probably something with an AMD APU

E: maybe something like this, but no idea if that'd be worth it

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005166470137.html
Thanks that looks too borderline. Nephew's got a miserable 300€ budget all in for a thing that needs to be luggable at least. I can't just outright buy a thing without doing the same for five other nephews and nieces, so something like this would allow me to quietly assist with peripherals or something. I'll have to think of something else.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Not on AliExpress, but this Ryzen 5 3550H-based mini-PC can run GTA5 at 60 fps but 720p resolution (gaming performance @ 17:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsTz_yu_Zxc
The barebone version is 245€ but you'd need to add the RAM (in dual channel, this matters a lot for graphics performance) and SSD. It's also sold on Amazon but not the barebone version.

There might be other options, this is just the first one I found

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Star Trek shirt looks better than I thought it would tbh

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Bourricot posted:

Not on AliExpress, but this Ryzen 5 3550H-based mini-PC can run GTA5 at 60 fps but 720p resolution (gaming performance @ 17:00)
[video]
The barebone version is 245€ but you'd need to add the RAM (in dual channel, this matters a lot for graphics performance) and SSD. It's also sold on Amazon but not the barebone version.

There might be other options, this is just the first one I found
That's not bad, thanks!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I love the simplicity of ae sometimes. I looked at some walkmans and cassettes and now all it wants to show me is more of them.

This one is super interesting though. It kind of looks like they’ve used the body of a Polaroid camera

—-
The case says 2077 Cyberpunk on the back, but the front says Punkcyber. Expensive for something so ugly.

—-
I built this last night. I expected it to take 30-60 minutes but was a few hours of enjoyment. A lot of sorting the very small pieces + the instruction book ink colours make both brown and certain blues look black.

I’m tempted to buy the other 4-5 bird+plant combinations but I really don’t have anywhere to put them.

Bird + Plant

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DRINK ME posted:

I love the simplicity of ae sometimes. I looked at some walkmans and cassettes and now all it wants to show me is more of them.

This one is super interesting though. It kind of looks like they’ve used the body of a Polaroid camera

—-
The case says 2077 Cyberpunk on the back, but the front says Punkcyber. Expensive for something so ugly.

—-
I built this last night. I expected it to take 30-60 minutes but was a few hours of enjoyment. A lot of sorting the very small pieces + the instruction book ink colours make both brown and certain blues look black.

I’m tempted to buy the other 4-5 bird+plant combinations but I really don’t have anywhere to put them.

Bird + Plant

For a brief wonderful moment I thought they were tape drives for storing data

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

champagne posting posted:

For a brief wonderful moment I thought they were tape drives for storing data

The backup tape drives you can get off ali are pretty uninspiring to look at but they do make some neat sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8bSnrn9dAA

I have become a big fan of these automatic belts https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...1200004682958_1
I found that the quick adjustability makes them a lot more comfortable for me to wear throughout my workday, the downside is the plastic coating on the low grade leather starts to come off after a couple years of use but that's no different to any of the belts I can find most shops.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
AliExpress Anniversary sale coming up on the 20th with discount codes.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Charles Ford posted:

Always fancied a skeleton watch, and decided I'd realise my dream by ordering a $12 one from Aliexpress.

Had it about a week, been wearing it continuously. It keeps remarkably good time, they definitely calibrated it at the factory despite it coming with a tiny screwdriver for adjusting the mechanism (no instructions on how to do so, or even how to open the case, though).

I will note that the black paint on the metal chainmail strap has already started to wear off. It took me a little while to actually figure out how to operate the strap, too.

That little "screwdriver" is probably for the spring bar in the strap, to change the strap to something slightly less crap.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
So I looked up 躺平 ('lying flat'*) to see if there were any fun stickers, T-shirts, or whatever... there weren't, but there was this duck lamp:

*of course, the CCP has banned selling any 'tang ping' merch.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I so wish I needed this or could even use it anywhere. Smack its rear end to adjust the brightness! :allears:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Who's gonna give it a shot? It's 64% off!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005005238451580.html

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I'm in the market for a new keychain or two and Ali seems like the perfect place, what's the coolest one under 3 bucks?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am happy with this "remove before flight".

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...randl_shipto=US

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

I don't understand people who put these on their luggage. It seems to welcome having their luggage misplaced. All it takes is one handler who thinks it's funny and knows the tag will mean no blowback from dumping that bag to the side.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

brocked posted:

I'm in the market for a new keychain or two and Ali seems like the perfect place, what's the coolest one under 3 bucks?

I got my partner one of the Attack on Titan ones, and she's been happy with it.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The chicken nuggets are disturbingly real irl but the single French fries are harder to read as a single fry.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

I stuck the nuggets and wings in my kids play kitchen. Numerous kids and adults thought they were real. Teens seemed to get the biggest kick out of them.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I would like to thank this thread for reminding me AE exists. The battery in my bluetooth headphones is dying and I just snagged some for $0.55AUD shipped after taxes thanks to some stupid voucher. They're probably going to be 2c headphones but at that price it's at least going to be funny rather than enraging.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

coldpudding posted:

I have become a big fan of these automatic belts https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...1200004682958_1
I found that the quick adjustability makes them a lot more comfortable for me to wear throughout my workday, the downside is the plastic coating on the low grade leather starts to come off after a couple years of use but that's no different to any of the belts I can find most shops.

I had a similar belt that I bought in South East Asia. Big ol' BMW logo. Adjusts in very small steps without holes. Cost nearly nothing, laster me about 2 years before it the fake leather wore down. Loved it, I wish they sold them locally!

If you see it flaking, of a "coating" coming off, that's because it's not real leather. Despite what the ad says. I don't believe they put any plastic coatings on real leather, rather just impregnation with oils or waxes. Fake leather is generally some textile coated in rubber/plastic coating, though. The real cheap stuff can even be backed by cardboard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm torn...

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005003910633620.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005004933505211.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005003249537987.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005003484396433.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't believe they put any plastic coatings on real leather

You'd better start believing because they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

coldpudding posted:

Not AliX so considerably more $$$ but the GRIP6 auto-belts are a wonder if you want a really slimline belt buckle - I have two and they keep hitched all day no problem.

https://grip6.com/pages/collections-page

They are also very hardwearing, several years of hard use have not made a dint in mine at all.

Buy teh Garlic

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004316410658.html

I have one on my work bag zipper, you get two cloves per chain.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 20, 2023