Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the only thing cops should be doing is punishing bad drivers, if you're speeding your fine is proportional to your income. if you run a red light your car gets seized and crushed with no compensation for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

19 o'clock posted:

I’m here for good opinions on driving from people from PA

Good opinions from PA aren't really a thing

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Good opinions from PA aren't really a thing

reddit-rear end state

maga people in the middle of it, the worlds' most annoying hipster urbanist scolds in philly, idk what's up with pittsburg but pfc's posts probably also count

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I think we should fix the economy. Who's in?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JMShumway/status/1642012724979986432?t=4f34VIhwTS_PNHv44yO6fQ&s=19

Lol at wanting more cops

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

if we only had more cops they would do the things i think are important and definitely not just spend more time thinking up reasons to kill people and animals

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

what a weird program.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 07:20 on Apr 1, 2023

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Cops truly are just erotically addicted to their own depravity and vulgar dominance first and foremost.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Radirot posted:

what a weird program.

4H programs are pretty common in rural areas. Though I imagine most parents don't let their kids get bonded to the animals because, uh.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There is no right whatsoever under any interpretation of our laws to drive a car.

What if I mount a gun on it?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

SourKraut posted:

What if I mount a gun on it?

you can drive around seattle with a quad .50 if you have the right paperwork

or at least you could in the 90s. Probably still can

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

cool av posted:

I think we should fix the economy. Who's in?

I'm going to throw in with New_Power after this one is done.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Problem solved: instead of more police simply arm every car sold with bombs that detonate if you go over 30mph.

Arm every police car with a bomb that detonates when they go over 3mph, just to be safe.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/usdcoinprinter/status/1642061411554566144

e: this is wild

https://twitter.com/tier10k/status/1641821284341280768
https://twitter.com/cryptadamist/status/1642056909162151937

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The cops in my city straight up said they aren't doing traffic enforcement anymore because they "don't have enough officers for it," I guess in some kind of attempt to beg for/extort more money from the city, so the streets here are, unsurprisingly, an utterly lawless wasteland. Speeding, red light running, flat out ignoring signs/lanes, and just generally pulling insane Mad Max poo poo. I don't know what the solution is, but it feels like publicly announcing "lol go ahead and do whatever" was not the right play.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

lmfao how stupid do you have to be

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmao I just got a $208 COLA and I couldn't figure out how it could possibly be that low

quote:

The basic salary schedule provided for in Table One and Step P of Table Two of this Agreement shall be increased 1 cent per hour for each full 0.4 of a point increase in the applicable Index above the Base Index. For example, if the increase in the Index from January 2020 to July 2020 is 1.2 points, pay scales for employ- ees in Table One and Step P of Table Two of this Agreement will be increased by 3 cents per hour. In no event will a decline in the Index below the Base Index result in a decrease in the pay scales provided for in this Agreement. Steps BB through O in the basic salary schedules provided for in Table Two of this Agreement shall receive COLAs calculated using the formula in this paragraph, adjusted proportionally as reflected in Table Two.

I got a $0.10/hour raise. In response to 4% inflation I am getting a 0.5% raise. lmao get wrecked turns out the post office is just eating away at the wages of it's employees through abysmal COLAs

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 10:50 on Apr 1, 2023

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

The cops in my city straight up said they aren't doing traffic enforcement anymore because they "don't have enough officers for it," I guess in some kind of attempt to beg for/extort more money from the city, so the streets here are, unsurprisingly, an utterly lawless wasteland. Speeding, red light running, flat out ignoring signs/lanes, and just generally pulling insane Mad Max poo poo. I don't know what the solution is, but it feels like publicly announcing "lol go ahead and do whatever" was not the right play.

the pigs are extorting the city for more money, op

the right play is to abolish them

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"Cops are bad so we should just let everyone do whatever the gently caress they want on the roads and freeways" is some galaxy brain moron poo poo

:ironicat:

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Frosted Flake posted:

Japanese trucks and Japanese whiskey are the path forward.

May you be protected from lemons and blessed with lemons in equal measure

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Paradoxish posted:

The last time I had an in-person job like over a decade ago there were these idiots on dirt bikes and one quad that would go blazing down the road in front of the school I worked at two or three times per week, at almost the exact same time every time. They'd do wheelies by the school and nearly hit pedestrians several times. No one ever did poo poo, even though the main road a quarter of a mile away was a well-known speed trap where cops would issue tickets for like 5mph over the limit.

You can't stop those people without killing them basically. Talking about them at all is a real easy way to make urban libs mad.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

just establish a Traffic and Parking Authority, armed with radar guns, license plate scanners, and boots, funded by tolls, gas tax, parking tickets, vehicle registrations and moving violation tickets, and of course major cuts to the police budget

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a car is a good guy with a gun now excuse me while i murder someone's child in the back seat because i got cut off

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

lmao I just got a $208 COLA and I couldn't figure out how it could possibly be that low

I got a $0.10/hour raise. In response to 4% inflation I am getting a 0.5% raise. lmao get wrecked turns out the post office is just eating away at the wages of it's employees through abysmal COLAs

since we bargained for a new raise schedule in 2021 that were 2-9% (I got a 2.5%), we got a one-time 800 CHF payment for 2022 COLA. next time I'm due for a raise in my contract is 2030 lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TDepressionEarl posted:

May you be protected from lemons and blessed with lemons in equal measure

May they have exactly their required amount of lemons

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Frosted Flake posted:

Japanese whiskey is often just as good these days

Sure, but there's a problem with quantity. Britain exports $6.4bn whiskey a year, most of which is Scotch (as a Scot I'm just going to go ahead & say anyone importing Einglish whiskey is a depraved pervert who belongs in jail). Japan exports $400m. Even the US which is #2 for exports globally exported $1.08bn in 2021.

The last I paid attention the Japanese had a problem with capacity, as in they had maxed out when Japanese whiskies became trendy, and it takes several years to expand or get a new distillery producing anything.

Also it's often not really about quality of the drink for a lot of these people. The difference between an $80 single male and a $8,000 single malt is scarcity rather than quality as far as I understand. I got to try a $200 bottle once as my old man does the gardens for a distillery and the distillery manager is extremely generous. It was really pleasant. It wasn't 5 times nicer than the £35 bottle I'd normally buy for myself.

Honestly, a depressing amount of the exports are people buying a barrel as an investment.

TL;DR, yes, Japanese whiskey is nice but they don't have enough distilleries to get even in the same ballpark as Scotch when it comes to international sales.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

PoundSand posted:

Why on earth does this thread seem to want more traffic enforcement? Traffic cops never do something nice like pulling over someone cruising in the passing lane, semis not keeping right, or someone jumping a solid white merge line early and cutting off 3 lanes of traffic they just nab someone going 7 over on a completely empty 70 freeway for seemingly no reason other than ticket revenue. World would be better off with 0 patrols on interstates cause they don't enforce anything other than speed limits in the dumbest manner possible.

e: like sure I agree people on the road are often idiots and in a perfect world it'd be great if the actually dangerous traffic infractions were punished but literally the only thing anyone gets a ticket for is benign speeding. I've not once in my life seen someone pulled over for changing lanes without signaling, or coming to a full stop in the middle of the road to make a turn there was a turn lane for (again without signaling), or any of the number of things that would actually cause a car wreck. It's just cruising at 5 mph over the limit and going past a bored cop or on a highway that routes through a podunk city that literally exists entirely off speed ticket revenue.

I want to be able to go down to my local dnr and register for trucker hunting tags. Those fuckers are the bane of every driver and the only way to fix it is total annihilation of the profession.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Azuth0667 posted:

I want to be able to go down to my local dnr and register for trucker hunting tags. Those fuckers are the bane of every driver and the only way to fix it is total annihilation of the profession.

Totally normal stuff to post on a Saturday morning :D

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly more likely WASP boomers just don't give a poo poo about their kids' weddings because it's not about them, specifically, the protagonist of reality

That was my thinking. Like even the status symbol is outweighed by it not being about them.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lil poopendorfer posted:

Totally normal stuff to post on a Saturday morning :D

so is pearl clutching about imaginary property damage :D

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

So I had a fun thought that maybe someone who is not currently skullfucked with COVID, as I am, could verify. It is an open secret that the powers that be were not interested in presenting the full books on COVID deaths. As the pandemic wore on, more and more corners got cut, whether by regulatory bodies changing the definition of "COVID deaths" to exclude "people who died with both COVID and a fig leaf co-morbidity" or by red states who straight up stopped reporting them because it was politically inconvenient for them to exist. The numbers also didn't count the people who died for lack of emergency care due to filled up ICU beds as COVID related, despite COVID being the reason those needs were occupied.

So my suspicion is, if we take the average for annual deaths in this country from the years before the pandemic, and compare it to the annual deaths during the pandemic minus the number ascribed to COVID, we ought to see a notable jump that is yet otherwise unaccounted for, which would be especially interesting considering we probably saw significantly fewer things like car accident deaths because there were fewer people on the road during lockdown.
Yeah, that's kind of what happened. Excess deaths are about 20% higher than counted Covid deaths.

Of course it's not quite that easy since the US had one of it's largest expansions of its welfare state during the first year of the pandemic which worked in the opposite direction. That's happily dismantled now though, thank you Joe.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

What the gently caress is Czechia

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Egg Moron posted:

For some reason, its what the Czech Republic adopted as an abbreviated name for itself a few years ago

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Egg Moron posted:

A miserable pile of lager

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

genericnick posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what happened. Excess deaths are about 20% higher than counted Covid deaths.

Of course it's not quite that easy since the US had one of it's largest expansions of its welfare state during the first year of the pandemic which worked in the opposite direction. That's happily dismantled now though, thank you Joe.

It wasn’t all obfuscation of the number although certainly some of that was going on. In the area I practice, ER docs get the calls from EMT’s when they find an obviously dead body so we can pronounce them. We received so many calls of people found dead in their homes, there weren’t enough Covid tests available in the beginning to test the dead and there were probably legitimately people who were having heart attacks or strokes that stayed home because they were terrified of the hospital and getting COVID.

I still have nightmares about all those calls.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Egg Moron posted:

Rus -> Russia
Czech -> Czechia
Espanol -> Espanola

Italian -> Italiana
Canuck -> Canucka
American -> Americana
French -> 🐸
etc.

it's all very easy and clear cut

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Spoondick posted:

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a car is a good guy with a gun now excuse me while i murder someone's child in the back seat because i got cut off

Sounds like Florida

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1642135488638119938?s=20

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol that this is an interesting list of long overdue ordinances, fees, and conservation efforts around the globe framed specifically as an inconvenience against Americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Actually america deserves to have a permanent underclass of servants to work at the vacation resorts we built on top of their old burial grounds or whatever