Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Electric only? No, gas stove in my house!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Wild, it’s like living in an era of ever-decreasing quality of goods paired with ever-increasing prices isn’t skipping by video games :monocle:

Other than WoW expansions (because I’m a filthy addict), the only AAA games I’ve purchased at launch/full price in the last decade have been Diablo 3 and Battlefield V, both of which were strong reminders as to why I should never, ever do that again. Similar to my happily waiting for a movie to hit streaming, I’ll gladly wait until a game hits a Steam sale and/or the publisher has (maybe) made a small effort to make it a not-bug ridden piece of poo poo with actual content.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Worklurker posted:

Oh no, the dev bailed after I only got 95+ hours of fun/updates out of it! My $20! THE INHUMANITY! WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CONSUMER!?

that's very generous, and a very rare case. what happens most of the time is that people play the game for a few hours, think "ok this is fun and has promise, i'll wait until they add more content and polish" and it never happens

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m in a weird gacha game type place with my favourite game Europa Universalis IV whereby the game itself is a decade old but they keep releasing DLC every few months or so, taking the full game cost to something ridiculous like $400 full price, so they’ve had to start up a subscription model and also the new updates are now overlapping and replacing previous dlc material is been so long

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mr Hootington posted:

No gas stove in my house. Electric only

If she wants an upgrade, get induction. It cooks easily as well as gas (i've had all 3 now through my life) and it wont require any major changes to your home infrastructure.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

that's very generous, and a very rare case. what happens most of the time is that people play the game for a few hours, think "ok this is fun and has promise, i'll wait until they add more content and polish" and it never happens

yeah I stopped gaming because of this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A3W-r9IobwI

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
a billion dollar video game?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

actionjackson posted:

of course they are so what

video games aren't an item you need to live like food or shelter. they are entertainment.

I mean, no poo poo? That's literally what we're talking about here. No one needs to buy video games so it turns out that people don't buy as many when you make them too expensive.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

some one post the webm of the rate of profit graph with marx in the background

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

if you want a very recent example of may allah forgive me gamers crying about something and being somewhat correct

$70 for the new star wars game survivor apparently its pretty much unplayable on PC anyways games are already expensive and getting more expensive sucks rear end

$70 for any game is expensive especially now-a days where your almost guaranteed to have some giant mess of a release

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

actionjackson posted:

$70 is insanely cheap when you consider how much time people put into these games. gamers just love to loving bitch and whine about everything becaus they are small children

Lol no

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hey guys I got a product that once done can be printed infinitely number of times

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Factoring in materials and man hours into a digital product like it is an oven

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Zodium posted:

i'm genuinely not trying to be obtuse and, as always, i'm very interested to understand your thoughts, but I feel like we're talking past each other here.

I probably need to start a thread to get out what I’m thinking here. there’s an awful lot I’d need to write out.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

At least they didn't argue the hours played/price ratio like other gamers so that got us these 90 hour bloated grindathon experiences

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Spaced God posted:

At least they didn't argue the hours played/price ratio like other gamers so that got us these 90 hour bloated grindathon experiences

that's what I thought "how much time people put into these games" meant but it could be read several ways

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

that's what I thought "how much time people put into these games" meant but it could be read several ways

same

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

HallelujahLee posted:

if you want a very recent example of may allah forgive me gamers crying about something and being somewhat correct

$70 for the new star wars game survivor apparently its pretty much unplayable on PC anyways games are already expensive and getting more expensive sucks rear end

$70 for any game is expensive especially now-a days where your almost guaranteed to have some giant mess of a release

It happens constantly and it's part of the reason that arguments about early access are largely bullshit. You know what you're getting into when you buy an EA game and you can make a meaningful judgment about whether the current state is worth your money or whether you're willing to take a risk on future updates. Turn out you need to make the exact same judgment with fully released AAA titles, except you're paying 3x as much for the privilege.

The games industry was ridiculously resilient through the 2008 recession, but I doubt that's going to be the case again.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Third World Reagan posted:

Hey guys I got a product that once done can be printed infinitely number of times

I mean yes it can be distributed to many people, though obviously the more players, the more support infrastructure you need

and again, games are cheaper now than ever before

i only play a few games and spend a ton of time on each, so it's a hell of a deal from my perspective

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

mawarannahr posted:

My interpretation of that was the devs and stuff but maybe I was being charitable

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I probably need to start a thread to get out what I’m thinking here. there’s an awful lot I’d need to write out.

do it

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

The games industry was ridiculously resilient through the 2008 recession, but I doubt that's going to be the case again.

it'll probably be mobile gaming that comes out on top. didn't Nintendo sell ds games at a cheaper price point than wii/gamecube games? I'm sure that helped during the GFC

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

we already have the solution to people with capitalismbrain, and it's idle games. All the joy of number go up without things like brutal killings of indigenous people or exploitations

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

caelxii posted:

Lol I was literally fired from my last job for pointing out the obvious and refusing to ‘correct’ myself.

you just don't get it. Truth doesn't Pay.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

caelxii posted:

Lol I was literally fired from my last job for pointing out the obvious and refusing to ‘correct’ myself.

Lol idiot your job is to pretend everything is fine

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

im leaning towards this as well honestly

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

play Barotrauma... trust me.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

my last job I interrupted a management meeting to inform them the front of the building was on fire they just stared at me and I just backed out of the room and went on break. Fire was out when I got back.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

caelxii posted:

getting fired to own da libs

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

I quit a job in college managing apartment renovations bc the lady who ran the company got all her contractors so mad they quit so she tried to make a bunch of 19 year old kids to plumbing, HVAC, and electrical work

She asked me to paint over mold in a frat house and I called the county with a list of properties and what was done and then left my tools at the front door of the office lmao

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

lol yeah I was gonna say the early access steam store on aggregate is only marginally a step up from kickstarter vaporware. There are breakout hits that are fun from the getgo but they end up so well known/loved specifically because they’re the exception to the rule.

The key to cheap gaming is same as it ever was though just play stuff a couple years old that goes on digital sale for 5-10 bucks. Plus usually you can get all the dlc bundled up with it and relevant bugs have been patched out.

PoundSand has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Apr 30, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Crazypoops posted:

my last job I interrupted a management meeting to inform them the front of the building was on fire they just stared at me and I just backed out of the room and went on break. Fire was out when I got back.

This is the best metaphor.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

My wife wants to "upgrade" to a gas stove lmao

For real, get an induction. They're ultrafast, precise, and efficient. If you wanna try before you buy, you can get a tabletop single burner appliance for like $50-100 and try that out. The Mycohousehold left our induction cooktop behind with the last move in 2021, and we only just now replaced the old cooktop with a new induction unit. Like night and day!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

actionjackson posted:

$70 is insanely cheap when you consider how much time people put into these games. gamers just love to loving bitch and whine about everything becaus they are small children

When I started buying games myself in my late teens I was burned too many times spending 60 bucks for a game that sucked and I stopped playing after an hour. Aside from a handful of titles I basically gave up playing video games for 20 years until Game Pass.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

mycomancy posted:

For real, get an induction. They're ultrafast, precise, and efficient. If you wanna try before you buy, you can get a tabletop single burner appliance for like $50-100 and try that out. The Mycohousehold left our induction cooktop behind with the last move in 2021, and we only just now replaced the old cooktop with a new induction unit. Like night and day!

Yeah induction has all the advantages of a gas stove except that it kinda sucks for woks

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
they make induction bowls for woks but they're the price of a flat induction cooktop and only work on woks

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ikanreed posted:

Yeah induction has all the advantages of a gas stove except that it kinda sucks for woks

The main advantages of gas are very chef-y. You can use a wok (and other novel cooking surfaces like salt stone or whatever), you can char things over flame, and you can more easily feather heat to specific parts of a pan/whatever. While these are things that are reasonable for people to want to do, for a vast majority of people they simply don't matter, and for another vast portion of the remaining they're only going to offer the smallest edges of flavor/etc.

Even then most of these things can be accomplished another way that doesn't involve melting your family's brains every night.

e; I have induction and I wouldn't go back to gas for one easy reason: I can boil a large pot of water in under 60 seconds.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

When I started buying games myself in my late teens I was burned too many times spending 60 bucks for a game that sucked and I stopped playing after an hour. Aside from a handful of titles I basically gave up playing video games for 20 years until Game Pass.

yeah most games are like that unfortunately. that's why i typically only play a few, all the soulsborne games, and then destiny 1 and 2, where there's tons of replayability or new stuff

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

path of exile is free. (I spend 360$ on it a year )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just buy AAA games 2 years later for $5