Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

online restaurant reviews also become a useless metric due to so many people reviewing based on delivery. of course your food is cold and messy after you got it delivered, you're getting it like 45 minutes after it was cooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1665135333925609473?s=20

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm sure I've gotten beaten to the punch, but nobody will lend you a bunch of low-interest money to buy stocks.

Rental profit margins are really slim right after you buy the places with all that borrowed money, and increase over time because rents go up but mortgage costs are fixed.

I knew the first part but the second part is new info . You’ve provided the most cogent explanation I’ve ever heard, and I’ve asked probably like 30 different people. Question answered :cheers:

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

i am harry posted:

Eric Fein ran his content-writing business for 10 years, charging $60 an hour to write everything from 150-word descriptions of bath mats to website copy for cannabis companies. …
“It wiped me out,” Fein said. He urged his clients to reconsider, warning that ChatGPT couldn’t write content [150 word descriptions of bathmats -ed] with his level of creativity, technical precision and originality. He said his clients understood that, but they told him it was far cheaper to use ChatGPT than to pay him his hourly wage.

Glad to hear he’s now a productive member of society instead of some ad-copy contractor

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

RealityWarCriminal posted:

is an instant, wrong answer better than a slow, accurate one?

*zero hesitation* "Yes."

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

is this the one that spend $ridiculous trying to develop a circular pizza box because they couldn't get their machine to work with the regular kind?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there are a whole bunch of people already working as human ChatGPTs and with similar levels of shittiness e.g. offshore chat support

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

shrike82 posted:

there are a whole bunch of people already working as human ChatGPTs and with similar levels of shittiness e.g. offshore chat support

Oh?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

quote:

Zume had struggled with problems like stopping melted cheese from sliding off its pizzas while they cooked in moving trucks, per Bloomberg. Its difficulties led to a string of high-profile departures and financial problems.

lol yeah that sounds like a problem that should be happening

why did you quit today, babe?
remember that problem with the sliding cheese? well,

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Automation being bad is such a funny thing. Nothing lays bare the problem of capitalism and rent seeking quicker than needing to prevent automation.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Lpzie posted:

almost two months of saving in the can. going well. switched my diet to apples and veggies and rice to save more money. the more i can save the more i can smuggle out of the USA into foreign markets crippling the US economy. pray for me.

:cheers:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
It's tough keeping your feet dry when you're kicking in a skull. That will be 60 dollars please.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

shrike82 posted:

yeah we've seen your posts

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Xaris posted:

am i the only one that has never ordered a doordash/grubhub/foodrabbit/eat24/foodiebot/whatever? literally, no joke, at least a third of the people in my apartment building are getting doordash for starbucks coffee(!!) in the morning, lunch, and dinner at all hours of the day, and i know because my building is super confusing and they always come to my door first so i'm pretty much redirecting half dozen doordashers every day

i genuinely do not understand delivery brain. i refuse to
I've used it twice when I've been sick and didn't have anything around to make since I hadn't been to the grocery; most recently a few weeks back when I was blasting 101ºF fever and wasn't sure if it was COVID and so had some contactless delivery for some dinner.

Even with my brain cooking out of my head, I still remember it being a poo poo service that took almost an hour. No idea how people are using this poo poo regularly.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Zodium posted:

yeah we've seen your posts

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StratGoatCom posted:

You know AA artillery systems right?

What would you use to kill this:https://shadowrun.fandom.com/wiki/Great_Dragons?

Since we seem to be living in a shadowrun reboot timeline, since we already are having our version of VITAS.

I don't know about Shadowrun, but I suppose GURPS would let you compare directly, since detailed AA guns and detailed dragons exist in the same rule system. The problem is, I have no idea how to read any of the rules:

Jun 2, 2023
infinite credit card until january 1st 2025

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Lemme SMAANG it girl

Smash and Facebook apple Amazon Netflix Google it

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know about Shadowrun, but I suppose GURPS would let you compare directly, since detailed AA guns and detailed dragons exist in the same rule system. The problem is, I have no idea how to read any of the rules:

you’re not going to hit an airborne target with indirect fire you plebe you absolute moron. probe this idiot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

navyjack posted:

you’re not going to hit an airborne target with indirect fire you plebe you absolute moron. probe this idiot

There's a spirited argument on the GURPS forums about predictive fire for time fuzes counting as artillery skill rather than gunnery.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

There's a spirited argument on the GURPS forums about predictive fire for time fuzes counting as artillery skill rather than gunnery.

Which side are you supporting?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i rolled a 1

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i can read gurps rules, the 155mm long gun is the only one at all likely to score a crippling wound on a large dragon even with direct fire, and even then only within 3km, because it just has too much HP and is too tough

the bright side is that DR 6 is very low, so being exposed to indirect hits from shrapnel or concentrated fire from multiple SHORAD systems would bring it down eventually and it is not fighter jet fast

i would suggest TL10 directed energy weapons for reliable, fast kills

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Trial run for the rest of the country.

https://twitter.com/RedistrictNet/status/1665054036637233154

Soon they will get votes proportional to how many employees they have on payroll.

Perfectly appropriate for Delaware, I'm surprised they still let non-corporate entities vote at all

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

atelier morgan posted:

i can read gurps rules, the 155mm long gun is the only one at all likely to score a crippling wound on a large dragon even with direct fire, and even then only within 3km, because it just has too much HP and is too tough

the bright side is that DR 6 is very low, so being exposed to indirect hits from shrapnel or concentrated fire from multiple SHORAD systems would bring it down eventually and it is not fighter jet fast

i would suggest TL10 directed energy weapons for reliable, fast kills

Thank you. I kept vacillating between being impressed that they have tried to assign numbers to ... pretty much everything in existence, and much that isn't,

but... the game part seems indecipherable to me.

If you wanted to know a little bit about a huge variety of subjects, honestly consulting the GURPS books would be better than asking ChatGPT. There are some very weird ideological biases wrt capitalism, but otherwise, it's like a good children's encyclopedia with numerical values assigned to everything, which is novel.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:50 on Jun 4, 2023

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Transhuman Space was a great near future gurps solar sci-fi setting. Wish it would get a revival

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

A lot of the older gurps refrerences are good to pick up for light reading about whatever topic they cover. Hell some of them don't even have game mechanics in them.

unfortunately steve has been lost beneath his giant pile of munchkin money

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just don't understand how these all exist in the same game and each one of these can interact with all of the others mechanically.

A language library text-based adventure game that could flawlessly narrate a GURPS campaign, describe things and resolve rolls would be incredible, I'll say that. I imagine trying to feed all of the GURPS books into it would cause Skynet to go online.

Transhuman space is supposed to be good. That's the hard sci fi setting?

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

A lot of the older gurps refrerences are good to pick up for light reading about whatever topic they cover. Hell some of them don't even have game mechanics in them.

unfortunately steve has been lost beneath his giant pile of munchkin money

For sure. They are really good light reading material, and I wonder if it's the mechanics of games that causes that, because there are several RPG sourcebooks that are just good reads for understanding something in simple terms. Is there a reason for that effect, or is it just me?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casaba-Howitzer

this is what you use on a dragon in space

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
there's a bunch of weirdly impressive things in gurps books

the gurps tie-in book for myth (the fallen lords) and myth 2 actually has unique lore for the setting written by the same folks responsible for the gameworld and gurps space was how i ran into basic rocketry equations and principles for the first time as a wee teenager, for examples

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Transhuman space is supposed to be good. That's the hard sci fi setting?

THS is very fun, space intrigue around the solar system. the principle weapons of space combat are AKVs; kinetic-kill drones with advanced AI that are taught to revere self-destruction from hitting their targets as transcendental and develop elan and pride like you'd expect from troops

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Oh yeah sid meier's alpha centauri had a gurps supplement that was p neat as well.

Yeah transhuman space is the hardish scifi setting set in 2100 with the United States and PRC slowly gearing up for the first interstellar war over he3 mining on jupiter. Its neat

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

atelier morgan posted:

the gurps tie-in book for myth (the fallen lords) and myth 2 actually has unique lore for the setting written by the same folks responsible for the gameworld and gurps space was how i ran into basic rocketry equations and principles for the first time as a wee teenager, for examples

Is it just that turning reality into game mechanics that can be resolved by dice means creating a series of simple and coherent explanations of people, places and things?

It makes no sense, but the new edition of The One Ring does a better job communicating the story beats, themes, structure of Tolkien better than some books about his work.

I mean, you can say that particular publisher is the best in the business right now and this represents the state of the art, but it just seems like compared to wikipedia lol and especially ChatGPT, sourcebooks work as nice light introductions to a huge variety of subjects, and I can't pin down why.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
gently caress yeah cspam pen and paper role-playing game derail

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Fuligin posted:

Oh yeah sid meier's alpha centauri had a gurps supplement that was p neat as well.

Yeah transhuman space is the hardish scifi setting set in 2100 with the United States and PRC slowly gearing up for the first interstellar war over he3 mining on jupiter. Its neat

it also stole a big chunk of its video footage that plays when you get a world wonder built from a movie called Baraka

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1665097849984409600?t=VRohK0YVAVgfyQ0dRVwHXQ&s=19

I was around when this was frequent advice to goons and lmao

Anyway I'm outside and phone posting but I can speak GURPS and I will contribute later if we haven't moved by then

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1665097849984409600?t=VRohK0YVAVgfyQ0dRVwHXQ&s=19

I was around when this was frequent advice to goons and lmao

Anyway I'm outside and phone posting but I can speak GURPS and I will contribute later if we haven't moved by then

This doesn't make any sense. What are they, running their own card processing instead of using visa/mastercard?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
gently caress yes I was a GURPS DM in jr high now this thread is in the zone

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

atelier morgan posted:

the gurps tie-in book for myth (the fallen lords) and myth 2 actually has unique lore for the setting written by the same folks responsible for the gameworld

myth and myth 2 loving own, such well written and well designed (hard as gently caress) games. i can hear the audio in my head clear as day. "casualty"

where do i find these cool lore books. the ingame narrative reminds me of the black company books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

HallelujahLee posted:

im going to destroy finland