Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

nerds grasp onto the video game controller when it's one of the simpler systems on board

We know what video game controllers are and thing is that is specifically one of the worst choices they could have made of video game controllers for numerous reasons

If they can't even get a second hand 360 controller for like 20 bucks on Ebay or dug out of their closet then it makes a wonderful microcosm of the bad decisions in every other aspect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Morbus posted:

he thought there was 96 hours of air because he left the hatch open for 96 hours before they begin their voyage.

Could someone calculate the volume of the submersible and tell me how much air could be in there and crosscheck that with the average hourly consumpion of 5 adult males?

Mr Hootington posted:

The funniest outcome is the sub is found, but only 1 person is alive and it is obvious they murdered each other.

This would have only been funny if they had been found within like 24 hours or something imo

Edit: how much water do these assholes have anyway? 4 days, 5 people, you need a lot of water. Also if you're bobbing on the surface, good luck keeping the water inside your body.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 09:49 on Jun 21, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tbh I think the funniest outcome is it washing up somewhere in several years and I get to go "oh yah lol"

but it probably disintegrated and is lost forever

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lacrosse posted:

700 migrants lost their lives recently and nobody gives a drat, but a handful of billionaire dipshits with a death wish go missing and everyone loses their minds

The fact that these happened within a week of eachother and the difference in response really ought to clue people in on the whole class awareness thing but nope.

skooma512 posted:

* PAUL-HENRI NARGEOLET. The 77-year-old French explorer, whom media say is one of the five on board, is director of underwater research at a company that owns the rights to the Titanic wreck.

He thought he owned the Titanic wreck, but the Titanic wreck owned him.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Obviously we can fathom it. It's ~2400 fathoms. Boom. Fathomed.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

DancingShade posted:

When the rich & people in high places have bad luck its a tragedy. Better make a play or movie about it and offer sympathy.

and that's why shakespeare is the master of the form because he made his tragedies funnier than his comedies

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

there is not a single billionaire, not one, who isn't directly responsible for so much misery that the world would be better without them in it
i don't understand people who argue otherwise for free, at least get a billionaire to cut you a check before you start defending the indefensible

Oprah spread blood libel on her show

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Did you know that when a submersible implodes at that depth that the air pressure in front of the wave is so high that the air actually combusts? In the split second before you are crushed by the pressure of the wave you are hit by a wall of fire.

that’s my fetish

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

insane clown pussy posted:

and that's why shakespeare is the master of the form because he made his tragedies funnier than his comedies

I'm not sure 'comedy' in his day had the same meaning it does now, at the very least it's closer to what we'd call romcom with a romance being explicitly a central feature. See also The Divine Comedy.

Romeo and Juliet was also a genre-busting swerve back in the day as it starts out like a comedy and switches to tragedy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not sure 'comedy' in his day had the same meaning it does now, at the very least it's closer to what we'd call romcom with a romance being explicitly a central feature. See also The Divine Comedy.

Romeo and Juliet was also a genre-busting swerve back in the day as it starts out like a comedy and switches to tragedy.

the myth so nice he stole it twice

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Antonymous posted:

what is combusting in this scenario

anything with an auto ignition temperate below 2k F°

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Real hurthling! posted:

mf drilled a tv mount into the hull
Am I correct in my understanding that this loving thing doesn't even have windows and all observations of the wreck are via external cameras through internal monitors?

So this thing could be piloted entirely from the surface for the same effect other than the high risk of death?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cheesus posted:

Am I correct in my understanding that this loving thing doesn't even have windows and all observations of the wreck are via external cameras through internal monitors?

So this thing could be piloted entirely from the surface for the same effect other than the high risk of death?

it has a front glass dome on the bow rated to 1/3rd of the depth it was going to operate at

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

it has a front glass dome on the bow rated to 1/3rd of the depth it was going to operate at
of what they said they were going to operate it at

they're operating it at 10x its rating depth also it's positioned right behind the toilet

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
No point to that China visit when our media and political apparatus show we can't be trusted.
https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1671488125778948096?t=wL9mxGn_cn7UiWNzsU69og&s=19

The continued dismantling and undermining of Warner Brothers
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1671380132425261057?t=hUuZJtAAw7Yxf0Kz1QkFig&s=19

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i can't wait for the MAX app to get bad enough that I have to switch from ATT to Verizon to get rid of it (i get it for free from ATT but I'm probably getting ripped off on my contract and I should reassess whether its worth it to be paying for unlimited data every month)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Mr Hootington posted:

No point to that China visit when our media and political apparatus show we can't be trusted.
https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1671488125778948096?t=wL9mxGn_cn7UiWNzsU69og&s=19

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1671380132425261057?t=hUuZJtAAw7Yxf0Kz1QkFig&s=19

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this is the boat thread

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
After the submarine excitment I can't wait until there are regular rocket trips into outer space for billionaires.

Oh no their rocket went missing after landing on the far side of the moon. Also their rocket was made of aluminium foil, cardboard and controlled with a street fighter arcade controller rigged to a truck battery.

Safety schmafety. There are profits to be had in those moon rocks.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1671479795173974019?s=20

wait, how did that hollywood movie end again? :thunk:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

:sam:

This is the boat thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034727&pagenumber=2&perpage=40

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhBPF4yfkI&t=44s

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
It's time for a new goon project where we charge billionaires $350,000 to visit the center of an active volcano. My vessel will be made out of the same fire retardant wood used to construct five over ones, four skateboards and an RC car controller. We can call it the Pompeii experience.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Beached Whale posted:

It's time for a new goon project where we charge billionaires $350,000 to visit the center of an active volcano. My vessel will be made out of the same fire retardant wood used to construct five over ones, four skateboards and an RC car controller. We can call it the Pompeii experience.

going to start a Palantir-alike startup that promises to have the tech from Flatliners, allowing the truly rich to enter Heaven for a few minutes for but a small fee to cover operating costs.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Why is it ominous red text

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Tiberius Christ posted:

Why is it ominous red text

keeps failing his speech checks

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I choose to believe the billionaires are still alive because I want them to suffer more

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

DEFLATIONIZE YOURSELF AND FED TO RATESHED

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

quote:

21 Jun 2023 13:30:00 - FED'S POWELL: U.S. BANKING SYSTEM IS SOUND AND RESILIENT
Oh good, for a minute there I was really worried.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We know what video game controllers are and thing is that is specifically one of the worst choices they could have made of video game controllers for numerous reasons

If they can't even get a second hand 360 controller for like 20 bucks on Ebay or dug out of their closet then it makes a wonderful microcosm of the bad decisions in every other aspect

This is especially damning because modern computers have full native support for the Xbox controller, it is literally the best supported gamepad in human history

If you are building a system that human life depends on you use the most reliable hardware possible

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

If you are building a system that human life depends on you use the most reliable hardware possible

Why are you stiflingly innovation?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

This is especially damning because modern computers have full native support for the Xbox controller, it is literally the best supported gamepad in human history

Love that it was a wireless controller too... in a bolted shut poo poo tube with not even standing room. Like, would the cord have weighed too much? Do rich people recoil in fear when they see a single cord?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

skooma512 posted:

* PAUL-HENRI NARGEOLET. The 77-year-old French explorer, whom media say is one of the five on board, is director of underwater research at a company that owns the rights to the Titanic wreck.

lol how do you own a mass grave

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the blink-182 stepson is on twitter

https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1670804371909509121
https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1671335064519712768

pinned tweet is a comically large hover-hand lmao

https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1656517533472792576

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Dang I'm not a businessman but seems like a bad decision to acquire the most premium and beloved cable service and proceed not only to dilute it with TLC schlock but also remove the glamour of exclusivity by letting loving Netflix stream GoT

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

lmao those hoverhands

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Justin Tyme posted:

letting loving Netflix stream GoT

lmao who hasn't watched that through other means by now

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Love that it was a wireless controller too... in a bolted shut poo poo tube with not even standing room. Like, would the cord have weighed too much? Do rich people recoil in fear when they see a single cord?

Yes

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the blink-182 stepson is on twitter

brian doesn't seem too concerned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol the sports radio station morning show is making fun of these morons on the sub and they brought in a former NFL GM to mock them