Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

RC Cola posted:

Hello person who exercises like me.

Yeah I run a few 5ks a week at a decent pace and wouldn't call myself a runner. I think the most I've gone in one go was 7 miles and that killed me. I cannot comprehend doing 4x that in one go lmao

Are you walking the 5k? I need to know what loopholes you're controrting yourself through that running multiple 5ks a week doesn't make you a runner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

She was basically mind-controlled into it

For those unaware, beware the telepathic powers of suppliers at your company.

AITA for sending my family an angry email because they still speak to my ex-husband and even have him over, especially in light of his present “relationship” with a girl 20 years younger than him?

quote:

So basic background is I’m 42, two kids age 14 and 12 and signed divorce papers in April after almost 2 years of it being drug out trying to get my fair share from him. The details of “why” are not important but I’m angry, embarrassed, lost and sad any given moment of the day. A lot of this has to do with feeling like I’ve been “replaced” by a 23 year old surfing instructor who is everything I’m not. My husband and kids claims that she is just his friend and helping him learn his life long desire to surf but Jesus Christ...give me a break.

My husband has primary custody because he had better lawyers who were able to manipulate some minor missteps on my part into the court seeing them as a huge deal. So this past weekend I picked up the kids and said we were going to visit my parents. They said they would rather use thier season passes to sea world since they spent all weekend with my parents and Aunt Stacey and Uncle Brian (my brother and sister who I didn’t even know were in town). I was like your dad took you? They said yes that my parents had invited him over to see everyone. I was devastated because while I don’t get along with my brother and sister (and my mom) they let my ex-husband know they were coming and not me. I can’t even let that sink in without tears forming. I sort of jested that “oh and let me guess Ms Surf Instructor was there too?” My daughter said “well actually we all went to her house in ocean beach because she gave Stacey and Brian lessons after ours.” That included my mom and dad. I was so devastated I took the kids back home and just went home and cried for an hour.

When I was done I sent a furious email to my entire family how inappropriate they all had been and then not only hanging out with my ex for an entire weekend, but his little chippy as well is a massive slap in the face and the fact they didn’t even tell they were in town let alone invite me makes me feel so alone.

My mom was the only one to respond and she basically said “yes it was rude we didn’t tell you Stacey and Brian were here and we shouldn’t have done that. But we didn’t divorce Bradley, and we still see him as a son. This email along with your behavior over the last 5 years should really give you insight into why we might not want you at family events.”

In so many words she called me rear end in a top hat for sending the email, was I?

quote:

Info - why don’t you and your family get along?

quote:

Very condensed version I was seduced and basically mind controlled (like I said very condensed version) into a having an affair with a supplier at my company

Nitnen
Jul 29, 2011
r/relationships: I was mind controlled into a having an affair

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

OP elaborates in the comments. tl;dr: she's a child and a complete fuckin rear end in a top hat
You’re telling me there’s a competitive powerlifter out there who LOVES to clean, cooks every day, and tries to engage with his partner’s interests? And he’s wasting his time with this selfish loser? gently caress

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

lmao in what way did he "cause" her to gain weight.
It’s the same kinda narcissism that makes abusive people scream “this is your fault, you’re making me do this” as they destroy their partner’s belongings*. They see themselves as this chaotic force of nature and other people should shape their lives around catering to that nature. Accountability is me thee, not me!

*obviously different stakes

The Diddler posted:

There's no guarantee the guy is ripped. He's a powerlifter, so he might just be really strong and fart a lot. I'm still working out why this has made her fat, but I'll get there
Wouldn’t a strong pelvic floor hold the farts in? :( What the gently caress have I been doing all these squats for?!?

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 13, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hughlander posted:

Tuesday already!? drat

Nitnen posted:

we can all thank that one idiot for main charactering so hard that 3 whole pages have passed since that story was originally posted

Yeah, I'm not going to bother with this one because even I forgot about it after the last few pages.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Crocobile posted:

Wouldn’t a strong pelvic floor hold the farts in? :( What the gently caress have I been doing all these squats for?!?

When he lets one go it sounds like a shotgun going off.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Nitnen posted:

r/relationships: I was mind controlled into a having an affair

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Crocobile posted:

You’re telling me there’s a competitive powerlifter out there who LOVES to clean, cooks every day, and tries to engage with his partner’s interests? And he’s wasting his time with this selfish loser? gently caress

He sounds so cool. He went went to pottery class to spend time with her. :3: Even if his pottery ended up better than hers he sounds like the kind of guy who would love showing off her misshapen jug anyway. (I can see how a partner "taking over" your hobby can seem demoralizing, although that really doesn't seem like it was the case here.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The craziest part of this post, to me, is that everyone involved is just a year or two out of high school, so they shouldn’t even have rose colored glasses about it yet. When I was 20 I remembered very clearly how much high school sucked. I cannot imagine being nostalgic for high school at that age.

Nah, I think it's very possible to be nostalgic for High School at that point, depending on how your life went. Something that often gets overlooked in the Goonrage over how high school is bad and anyone who liked it was definitely a flavor of jerk is that school settings facilitate meeting a lot of people. If you had friends in HS and they all left to go to college, but you went straight into the workforce and now you see the same small group of people every day but probably don't have much in common with them, you'd probably miss back when all your friends were around every day.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lone Goat posted:

Are you walking the 5k? I need to know what loopholes you're controrting yourself through that running multiple 5ks a week doesn't make you a runner.

They probably do it as a warmup for other pt. 5k is just 3 miles, and you can knock that out in under half an hour pretty easy. They're probably comparing themselves to people that do a full cardio workout of running on the regular.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Defiance Industries posted:

Nah, I think it's very possible to be nostalgic for High School at that point, depending on how your life went. Something that often gets overlooked in the Goonrage over how high school is bad and anyone who liked it was definitely a flavor of jerk is that school settings facilitate meeting a lot of people. If you had friends in HS and they all left to go to college, but you went straight into the workforce and now you see the same small group of people every day but probably don't have much in common with them, you'd probably miss back when all your friends were around every day.

And a freshman in college could easily miss having an established friend group when they're in that awkward "everyone starting over from ground zero" phase.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
AITA for telling my brother to stop bringing his daughter to our trips?

quote:

I have three brothers and we are all married with kids. Our lives are very busy so we don't see eachother much which is why twice a year we all go on a fishing trip together and bring some of our kids with us. This is a tradition we've had for more than a decade now, and the kids we bring are those interested, which ended up being just our sons, except for my brother James and his daughter Selene(17F). She was way more interested in fishing than James's other kids were, and he's been bringing her since we started the tradition. It was all cool and dandy when all of our kids were children, but now that they are all teens and older, with the youngest being 15, it kind of got awkward. During our recent trip, my son(15M) as well as one of my nephews(16M) came to me and my eldest brother and asked us if it was possible to not have Selene come on the next trip with us because they would like to have a father-son trip with just us, since they can't really speak freely or behave how they want because it feels weird having her there. I understood where they were coming from, since most of them are in that awkward phase and having a girl present when you just want to rowdy with your cousins can feel very weird, so I discussed it with my eldest brother and we decided to ask James if it was possible for him to not bring Selene on the next trip, and bring another one of his kids instead so we could have a father-son vacation.

James did not take this well at all, and said he will simply not be coming even though we explained our reasoning very well to him and I had my son and nephew tell him how they felt so he could see their perspective. My oldest nephew heard what happened and he made an oversensionalized post on facebook calling us dinosaurs, so the story got out to the rest of the family, and opinions are split, however those that think I'm in the wrong REALLY think I'm in the wrong and have not been shy about expressing it. I just wanted to listen to my son and nephew and give them the experience they wanted and not dismiss their feelings and make them feel heard. But now I'm secondguessing. AITA ?

Gee, I wonder what they want to talk about that they can't have a (gasp) girl around, especially not a cousin who's been on the trips from the beginning!

So creepy and weird.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cythereal posted:

AITA for sending my family an angry email because they still speak to my ex-husband and even have him over, especially in light of his present “relationship” with a girl 20 years younger than him?

This one sometimes catches me off guard when it's reposted, but whenever I see

quote:

The details of “why” are not important

I know I'm in for a good time. Just :kiss: levels of missing context, and the payoff is even better.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't see what the problem is, I just wanted to exclude someone normal because my creepy nephews have terrible ideas about behaviour

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain Hygiene posted:

This one sometimes catches me off guard when it's reposted, but whenever I see

I know I'm in for a good time. Just :kiss: levels of missing context, and the payoff is even better.
The evil lawyers who totally blew up a minor thing and bamboozled the judge into ruling against me one of my favorite recurring bits, and it's right here in spades ("better lawyers who were able to manipulate some minor missteps on my part into the court seeing them as a huge deal").

It's also fun to try and imagine what that "mind control" actually looked like
- Salesman: Hey toots, did anyone ever tell you you have a nice rack?
- OP: I...I'm like putty in his hands. My will is no longer my own.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just :kiss: levels of missing context, and the payoff is even better.

For some of these, I don't understand why people don't just lie. If you know you're going to ask people about your sister taking your room after leaving college against her will, and that the answer to everyone's questions will be "leukemia," you may as well say that poo poo up front or never mention it at all.

"Info - why don’t you and your family get along?"
"I told my husband that I might be bi"
"I couldn't have sex for three days and he had a tantrum"
"I asked him to wipe his rear end and he left town"

Or maybe they're so self-involved that they just assume everyone should be on their side no matter what the details are.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

On the subject of marathon-in-a-year lady, I agree that she's a dumbass but like also, who cares. Just let her do her thing, it's good that she's exercising at all.

I probably would hold my tongue (although I wonder how much of the response was just an in-the-moment "What? That's not a marathon..." confusion) but as someone who struggled to work up to a phenomenally mediocre 5k pace, hearing someone clearly equally unfit claim to be running marathons would irk me.

It takes a lot of work and dedication to actually run a marathon and using stupid rules lawyering to brag/lie about that is dumb. Of course it doesn't affect me but I would judge the hell out of her.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Bonster posted:

AITA for telling my brother to stop bringing his daughter to our trips?

quote:

My oldest nephew heard what happened and he made an oversensionalized post on facebook calling us dinosaurs,

Lmao :owned:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Yeah, i’m pretty sure my parents did a virtual running event where you just had to tally up the distance you ran over the course of a month or something but a) the number they were trying to hit was a hundred miles and also b) it was a great way for them to train for their upcoming hundred mile ultramarathon.

Doing that for a normal marathon is pretty weird.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FoolyCharged posted:

And a freshman in college could easily miss having an established friend group when they're in that awkward "everyone starting over from ground zero" phase.

But they've got an established friend group that they are blowing up with drama out of nostalgia for high school.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Midnight Voyager posted:

But they've got an established friend group that they are blowing up with drama out of nostalgia for high school.

Yes this case is bizarre. But acting like it's totally insane that anyone could be nostalgic for high school when they've been out for a couple of years is definitely not the weirdest part of the whole story.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mean, there are those people starting college that think they can pick up right where they left off in their senior year in high school and get really upset when everyone just ignores them.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
She's an rear end in a top hat because she did not fill us in on what the drama was! Spill gurl

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

FoolyCharged posted:

You've just reminded me how, on my very first day of University, less than an hour into the day, a really cheery group of girls basically scooped me up and said that we should all be first day friends to make it a bit less scary. Three years later, and I was still friends with some of them, it was an incredibly blessed start :3:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
AITA for making my son sit through my daughter's dance recital?

quote:

My daughter “Amelia” (18F) is a ballet dancer, and will be going to a prestigious dance school when she graduates. Last week she had a recital at a local church. Obviously she wanted family and friends there, as it was a crowning moment for her. She especially wanted my son (15M) to be there (they are very close). My son promised he would come. About 30 minutes before we were set to go he complained to me that his stomach hurt.

Now “my stomach hurts” is the oldest kid excuse in the world, so I told him to drink water and he'd probably be fine. I had the feeling he didn't want to go because ballet is sometimes seen as uncool, especially for boys. (He'd already refused to wear something nice to the recital, just jeans and a t-shirt.)

He kind of left it at that so I figured he was fine. The recital went beautifully and it was a great day. However that night it became clear my son had actually taken a turn for the worse and he had to go to the doctor's. I can't say I wasn't frustrated with him. If he knew it was something serious he's old enough to use words!

When I visited him I asked him why he hadn't said anything, and he got irritated, saying he knew I didn't want him to ruin his sister's recital. I couldn't believe he was trying to turn this around on me, and we argued for a bit. In his point of view I was an rear end in a top hat for making him sit through the recital when I knew he didn't feel well. But there's no way I could have known he felt that bad, so I couldn't agree.

He finally just turned away from me. When I brought him some flowers and cards from family, he still didn't say a word. I'm at a loss. Most people I've talked to don't think I was out of line and that what I did was understandable. AITA?

"But really, when you think about it, it's his fault. I would totally have taken him to the hospital so much earlier if he had just spoken up one... what? Oh, sorry reverend. Yes, I suppose I could say a few words."

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

DreamingofRoses posted:

I’m sorry, he said no and she picked her kids up from camp. How does that make her the rear end in a top hat?

First, she decides that after a mobility-impairing treatment is the time for it to be his turn to do the thing she usually does. Then when he replies, "Please don't make me do this today," she notably does not say, "Ok, I will handle it, you can rest." Then, presumably, he worries that that means his kids aren't going to be picked up at all (why, if the wife is dependable?), and he drives out there, only to find it's a trick to punish him for "indecisiveness." Taken together it comes across as malicious.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

When I started uni, there was some dude alone in the labs playing quake of all things, with stripped out settings etc, so I sniped his username over his shoulder, joined his game (as I knew him) and proceeded to post extremely cryptic guff over chat until he turned round and started laughing. Good day one.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Bonster posted:

AITA for making my son sit through my daughter's dance recital?

quote:

Now “my stomach hurts” is the oldest kid excuse in the world

quote:

If he knew it was something serious he's old enough to use words!

she is going to be astonished when her son's 18th birthday is the last time she sees him

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

If the kid wasn't 15 her argument would hold a little more water. A 5-10 year old would say that poo poo to get out of something. A 15 year old? Yeah, no.

Either way the response isn't to assume they're lying, it's to ask them some simple questions like "when did it start? how bad does it hurt? how does the pain feel? Has it gotten better or worse over time? Does it hurt when I poke it? Does it come and go? Does anything make it better?" My stomach hurts could be anything from I'm gassy to I need surgery. You assume the worst and check that poo poo out.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i like how OP says the kid "had to go to the doctor's" and later says "when i visited him", just trying to minimize that the kid was loving hospitalized over this

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Foo Diddley posted:

i like how OP says the kid "had to go to the doctor's" and later says "when i visited him", just trying to minimize that the kid was loving hospitalized over this

Yeah that's an appendix all the way. Could rupture and kill him, nbd.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

He had a little tummy ache and we popped down to the doctor (he was admitted to the hospital, got surgery, and was kept at least one day)

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Upgrade posted:

He had a little tummy ache and we popped down to the doctor (he was admitted to the hospital, got surgery, and was kept at least one day)

Mammy didn't raise no drama queen!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They have no choice but to downplay it now because the only other option is to admit that they're an extraordinarily lovely parent on Reddit and that's certainly worse than your kid leaving without a word the moment they turn eighteen.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Why can't you be more like your cousin, who became an unwed single mom at age 17?

AITA for saying that my cousin and I are in the same place in life and my family shouldn’t infantilize me for being childfree?

quote:

I (20f) recently graduated from a community college and will be going to a 4 year program this fall. My cousin (19f) and I both work as cashiers and I am childfree by choice and refusing to date anyone until age 21 as a precaution, while she has a 2 year old son with her ex-boyfriend. I feel that sometimes my family treats us differently because I’m childfree.
We had a party to celebrate my graduation and moving out, and my uncle referred to me as the baby of the family. I said “Almost, (cousin) is 19.”
My mom said, “You are still a kid. You haven’t experienced things like being married or moving out on your own, you work a part time cashier job and you’re still in school.”
I said “she’s also never been married, doesn’t have her degree, works a part time job and lives with her parents. We’re the same.”
My cousin started crying and said that I was judging her, I said that I wasn’t and I was pointing out things that we have in common so I would have to be judging myself too. Other family members also said that my comment was unnecessary even though they didn’t have an issue with the same thing said about me.
Someone is paying the price for daring to dream of a life outside of the crab bucket.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

sullat posted:

It doesn't work like Cowboy Bebop where you are automatically on the hook for your spouse's debts. Shady debt collectors will absolutely try and bully you into paying but as long as you keep your finances separate it wouldn't be a problem. Unless I guess wife is also on SSDI and getting married would put her over that threshold.

it does in nc atleast.

https://www.jessonrainslaw.com/news--blog/what-is-the-doctrine-of-necessaries

they will also make your estate sell everything to pay for them. most places arent that heartless. if you arent in probate yet and negotiate they will take significantly less. this is all in my anecdotal experience

better states it hopefully doesnt work that way.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

FMguru posted:

Why can't you be more like your cousin, who became an unwed single mom at age 17?

AITA for saying that my cousin and I are in the same place in life and my family shouldn’t infantilize me for being childfree?

In America, this is very normal.

"No no Kaeyleigh, you're not old enough to have a sip of beer yet but it's weird you're not married or taking care of an infant yet, isn't it?!"

Nitnen
Jul 29, 2011
i went to art school for high school and everyone there was a nerd so my experiences were pretty good. I only became a jerk when I got really into posting

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

If the kid wasn't 15 her argument would hold a little more water. A 5-10 year old would say that poo poo to get out of something. A 15 year old? Yeah, no.
The argument would also hold more water if there was any reason whatsoever for her suspicions.

If he'd spent all week complaining about "being dragged to some stupid dance recital" or begging to bail out because his friends are going to the movies or trying various ever-changing excuses? Then sure, maybe be a bit skeptical and ask for some more details. But there's zero indication of anything like that from the post - and you can be sure that the OP would have included this if she had any such evidence.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, if you want to be technical the cousin could have filed to be be an emancipated minor and been a legal adult for longer.

I gotta admire Ops style though: "I'm not even going out to a dinner date until I'm financially stable, because who knows how frisky things could wind up?" Is an impressively nuclear take with herself. And I applaud her for it. Being happy without a partner is awesome and this thread would have a quarter of the content if everyone was as comfortable as this chick with the idea.