Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

keep punching joe posted:

Is there an r/relationships origin to the in joke about naming your kid Pnurtis?

A bad baby name post where the name is changed to "Pnurtis" is all there is to it, really: "My SIL is going to name her baby Pnurtis. Should I say anything?"

AITA for sending a friend pictures of my surgical incision against their will?

quote:

Last month I (31f) had emergency spinal surgery for a condition called cauda equina syndrome. Since the surgery I have partial paralysis from the waist down on the left side, I can still walk thankfully, but my muscles are very week and I have absolutely no feeling in that leg (I have a limp and use a cane). I have been posting about it on Facebook as it helps me from getting too depressed about the whole thing.

Now to the friend (30f) in question. We've known each other since elementary school but haven't really talked since high school but obviously still have each other on Facebook. Recently I got a message from her of a picture of me at the grocery store walking around, with a nasty message telling me I was lying for attention and that I'm making fun of actually paralyzed people. I explained the above, and how partial and local paralysis works, but she insisted that they didn't exist and I never actually had surgery. This went on for a couple days until I finally just sent her a photo of my incision while I was still in the hospital and a photo of the disc they removed (neither of them were bloody or overly grotesque).

I didn't hear back from her for a day, so I just kind of forgot about it until I started getting messages from mutual friends telling me that it was disgusting of me and that she is now traumatized from seeing my photos. She's blocked me at this point, and a some friends have said that she rude but I didn't have to send pictures and ITA for doing so, close family and friends have said I'm in the right. I would just really love some outside opinions on this one. Thanks reddit!

Edit: formatting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tobermory posted:

I really, really hope the wicked stepmother is projecting here. Otherwise I feel incredibly bad for that kid.

Eh, Devils advocate here, but that should be the norm. The 2 year old is hurt by having a person they love completely abandon them never to be seen again. Wanting the other parent to be an active part of their kids life is a good thing, and I'd have been upset if my son's mother had pulled that horshit "new start" garbage on him.

It could also be the way you're interpreting it, but a couple fighting over who gets stuck with the child neither want is too depressing for me.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

My (26m) girlfriend (22f) is too enthusiastic when we get intimate and I can’t get past it

Help me Reddit, my girlfriend rules in bed and also respects my stated boundaries, how do I-

quote:

update

:lol:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Like poo poo I know it's hard to talk about what gets you off because people can and do laugh at it, but maybe your kink is theirs. I knew a dude who liked spraying his junk on his partner, but obviously that is something you talk about before you aim for her hair or chest. His latest girl was totally fine with it as long as he did cleanup.

Also "stop being so positive about us having sex" is some severe brokebrains.

AITA for only buying my daughter essential items?

quote:

My husband (50M) and I(49F) have a 13 year old daughter, who we'll call Stella. Stella has recently been, to put it lightly, a brat. Her room is constantly a mess, she snaps at her father and I regularly, which often ends with her having a hysterical crying breakdown, and she is all-around not enjoyable to be with.

Recently, we've decided to take action after numerous fights, threats, and punishments. We elected to stop paying for any non-essential items of hers, which includes clothes, makeup, books, games, skincare, etc. Obviously we will still pay for her food, basic hygiene products, and medical supplies, but other than that, she is on her own.

When we told Stella this change of rules, she freaked out. She asked how she was going to afford clothes, since we don't allow her to shop at SHEIN or other unethical fast fashion brands, so her clothes are on the pricier side. I replied that we will give her opportunities to work for money at the small business we own, and for chores. After that, she complained that last time we decided she would earn money for larger chores (so no allowance for feeding dogs, dishes, laundry, or tidying), she wasn't paid. However, my husband and I feel that she should have been keeping track of the money she earned for those chores, so it was her own fault.

After numerous attempts at poking holes in our plan, even resorting to saying that it was "child labor" and illegal (which is ridiculous, her friends who are younger than her have jobs at a local business), Stella stormed off, saying that she was going to have to wear the same clothes to school all year. My husband, who by now is sick and tired of Stella's behavior, snapped and said that if she wasn't willing to lift a finger to contribute to the household, it just shows how selfish and entitled she is.

Stella ranted back, saying how she didn't want to contribute to a household that regularly called her a brat, an rear end in a top hat, and other names. I responded that sometimes, the truth hurts.

Stella is now in her room, mostly likely texting her friends about how unfair we are. I think we may be the AH because of how upset she is, and we're generally thinking we were maybe too harsh. So, AITA?

ETA: We can't take her phone because she uses it to monitor her blood sugars (she is Type One Diabetic), however we do have an app (Qustodio) that can turn off apps such as Snapchat, Youtube, etc.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*sigh* I GUESS we'll let you have access to a device with medically necessary capabilities

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for sending a friend pictures of my surgical incision against their will?

As someone who recently had rear end in a top hat surgery, hell yeah OP

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Consummate Professional posted:

As someone who recently had rear end in a top hat surgery, hell yeah OP

Did it successfully stop you from being an rear end in a top hat?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for refusing to allow my roommate to install a bidet in our shared bathroom

quote:

I (23M) live with my roommate (22F). She moved into my place only a month ago because my previous roommate decided to move out of state. I did not know she was a woman because she has a gender neutral name and my previous roommate found her while I was out of town.

Admittedly I have only lived with men before but I had no issue with having a female roommate. She seemed friendly and nice so at first it seemed alright however as I observed her habits, idk I just found somethings a bit icky, like how she eats loads of cottage cheese, how different she seems when not dressed up, feet on the couch etc.

Recently she told me she wanted to install a bidet attachment to our toilet. I find the idea of that extremely disgusting, I can imagine rear end water rebounding and splashing all over, not to mention period and vaginal discharge. I told her no and mentioned how disgusting it was due to splash back. She argued a little but agreed to not do it.

However now she is being less friendly. And based on what I hear when she is in the bathroom I feel like she might be using the shower to clean up sometimes. This makes me feel a bit more icky as now I am imagining contaminated water in the tub and her moist rear end sitting on the couches and armchairs causing them to absorb her fluids. It has been over a week and she is still more distant, we used to watch movies and stuff together and I do miss that a little, and things feel awkward just because I said no.

AITA here? Everyone uses toilet paper here and it feels like the more sanitary option.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bidets are awesome,also this guy 100% pisses standing, spraying his piss over every surface

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for refusing to allow my roommate to install a bidet in our shared bathroom

YTFA

Yes the filthy rear end in a top hat

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Evil Willow posted:

She should just start leaving empty tampon boxes around the house and the problem will take care of itself.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Also if you have a problem with cottage cheese, you have a problem with ME

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Also where else should she put her feet? The floor?
Next the guy expects her to wear shoes inside the apartment,street shoes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

I try to give redditors the benefit of the doubt for the sake of having funny stuff to yell at, but c'mon, that one's just misogynistic garbage fiction.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

I try to give redditors the benefit of the doubt for the sake of having funny stuff to yell at, but c'mon, that one's just misogynistic garbage fiction.

I do admit it has a ring of fakeness but I'm struggling to wrap my head around who would write this thinking it makes his roommate look bad.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

They don't want to make the roommate look bad, they just want outrage engagement.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Well it's definitely working because he's been defending his phobia of wetness and bacteria for hours and racking up a ton more downvotes.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Midnight Voyager posted:

I have never been at a reception for an hour and a half before the couple arrives and been left with no food or anything. I would have been out of there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I found this one from a while back that's... interesting.

AITA for only buying my daughter books that are close to her reading level

quote:

My daughter Rose (9) is a very advanced reader. She’s in 3rd grade (8-9 year olds) but reads at a 9th grade (14-15 years old) level.

Despite her advanced reading level, the only books she wants to read are the I Survived series and the A-Z mysteries. Both of these books are far below her reading level so I told her it’s fine if she wants to read them in school but at home she has to read things closer to her level.

I’ve taken her to bookstores and we’ve looked through the young adult section but she refuses to read any of the books. She says they’re all boring and gross. She always asks to get books from the children’s section but I’ve said no because they’re too easy for her.

Rose has started sneaking books home from school and when I started taking those away, she stopped reading in general. Now Rose has pulled away from me and her teacher is recommending that I let her read whatever she wants.

Rose’s dad (my ex) found out about this and tore into me for not letting Rose read books for kids her age and offered to send her books but that’s not the problem. I don’t have a problem with Rose reading but if she’s going to read, she should read something close to her level.

Now everyone’s mad at me so I wanted to know if I was the rear end in a top hat

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Or he's a misogynist with undiagnosed OCD / germ phobia and he's freaking out because he's being forced to acknowledge that women are just gross humans like him and not pure, unsullied dolls like he perceives them to be.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is eating cottage cheese female-coded? I’m so confused.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
AITA for thinking my bf’s daughter shouldn’t sit on his lap anymore

quote:

I (f35) have been dating Tom (37) for almost 2 years now. Tom has a daughter Aspen (13), Tom has always babied Aspen which is fine.

Recently Aspen has been sick and Tom has really stepped up the babying. I think it’s fine to baby your kid(s) but Aspen is a teenager and doesn’t need to be babied anymore. I expressed this to Tom but he says Aspen is still young and needs to be taken care of.

Last night I was going over to Tom’s he told me the front door is unlocked so just walk in. Well, I walked in to find Aspen laying on Tom’s lap asleep. I asked Tom if he thinks Aspen is a little too old to be doing this. He said no especially considering she’s sick. I said I think she is too old and it needs to stop. He told me I’m being an AH and I need to stop being weird about something completely normal. I told friends and they also think I’m the AH… am I?

:yikes:

quote:

Commenting on the top comment so hopefully, people see it, I was scrolling through my Reddit when I noticed this I don't want personal info on my main Reddit account so here it goes

Thanks to my brother telling me about what happening and his about to be ex-girlfriend using their actual names I know for a fact this is about my brother and Niece

I would like to get some things straight Aspen isn't just sick she has Leukima started Chemo a little over a month ago chemo has been really hard on
Aspen most days she's laying in bed only eating popsicles and drinking Pedialyte

So if babying is getting Aspen whatever she wants to eat when she has an appetite and cuddling her when she wants comfort from her dad then yeah Tom is “Babying” her

This is especially hard on Tom because his wife Aspen’s mom died from Leukemka (a different type than Aspen’s but still Leukemia ) when Aspen was only 2 so of course he's giving Aspen extra love

About to be ex-girlfriend pretty sure Tom is breaking up with her as I'm typing this got weird when Aspen turned a teen just a few months ago Aspen and ex were never close but the ex was never mean to her but she got weird when Aspen became a teenager a few months ago

So yeah if you don't already hate OP feel free to hate her more now for thinking a middle schooler with cancer isn't allowed comfort from her dad because she's a teenager

:wtc:

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for Refusing to Attend My Best Friend's Wedding Because I Wasn't Chosen as the Maid of Honor?

quote:

I (26F) have been best friends with Jane (27F) since 5th grade. We've always been inseparable, and I considered her my closest friend. Recently, Jane got engaged to her long-term bf, and I was thrilled for her. As her best friend, I naturally assumed I would be chosen as the MOH for her wedding.

However, when she announced her wedding party, she picked her cousin instead of me. I was (and still am!) deeply hurt and couldn't hide my disappointment. I was shocked and devastated that she didn't choose me as the MOH. I confronted her privately and asked her why she didn't pick me, especially considering our history and how much I've supported her throughout the years. Jane told me that her cousin, who lives far away and whom she rarely sees, needed this opportunity to bond with the family. I told her that if she couldn't see how much I deserved to be her MOH, then I didn't want to be a part of her wedding at all. I even threatened not to attend the wedding altogether, just to get my point across. Well, this didn't work to my favor.

She told me I was no longer a bridesmaid and could attend as a guest if I decided to end my "pity party." This offended me, admittedly more than it should have. I said some less-than-kind things. This little tiff between us caused her to ban me from the wedding altogether.

People have been blowing up my phone calling me selfish, entitled, and a bad friend for trying to make Jane's big day all about me and my hurt feelings. All that "true friends would [this that and the other]" I think I have a right to be upset. I've busted my a** as her friend, and I feel like she threw me away. She asked me to meet her on Sunday morning for breakfast and to try to talk it out. I don't want to pretend I think I'm wrong if I wasn't. I need some insight. So: AITA for being upset that I am not my close friend's MOH?

EDIT: Since I'm getting grilled, maybe it's important to clarify some things.

She went way further than I did with her comments. I made a couple low blows, but nothing compared to her telling me I wasn't being a friend. I've done a lot for her, and I accepted her fiancé into our life even though he´s a giant red flag (the biggest being trying to cut her off from me so she had no one to go to), and she had the gall to tell me I wasn't enough of a friend. I've put up with a lot from her.

No, I don't hate her cousin. She's nice enough, I think. She just isn't MOH material. They're not that close, she still has to be monitored after being taken off of chemo (meaning less time dedicated to the wedding), and she doesn't live close by. I don't want this to sound shallow, but honestly she draws a lot of attention. She's beautiful, but she's lost a lot of weight (kind of skeleton-ish, not in a body shaming way) and her hair is pretty clumpy. I just don't think she deserves it more than I do.

If she wanted a family member for MOH, she should have picked one of her sisters or other cousins. Picking someone she doesn't know that well anymore felt deliberately offensive towards me (and honestly to every other MOH candidate in her life)

Bolding mine.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I wonder why the to-be husband wanted to get her away from OP hmmmm. Also "so she'd have no one" but also "all her friends blowing up my phone" :thunk:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I threatened not to attend her wedding at all, and she said "fine" and uninvited me. She threw me away, just like that!

bend
Dec 31, 2012
my boyfriend hid my rat’s death from me.

quote:

RIP
I got home from a two and a half week long trip last friday (7/14). immediately after i got home, i found out i had contracted covid on the 9 hr plane ride home. my boyfriend was left in charge of taking care of my rats while i was gone since they know him well and i trust him. well apparently on day 5 of my trip, one of my boys was “killed by another rat”, and my boyfriend decided not to tell me. i’ve been back at my apartment an entire week, and he’s said nothing. i even loving saw him yesterday and bought him lunch to thank him, and he said NOTHING. im so loving upset. he only told me today because im supposed to pick them up tomorrow. i told him not to talk to me so i don’t know anything else. i just feel so…betrayed? idk what to do. any suggestions or kind words are welcome.

edit: i told my best friend who is 1. an instigator and 2. doesn’t like my bf, and she just told me he “probably just forgot” to tell me. that makes me even sadder. im sick to my stomach.

edit 2: i saw my boyfriend today and got my boys back. some of you guys were right about things, but others were sooooo wrong. my boyfriend wasn’t starving them, but he instead was OVER feeding them. all of them are fat now. like can’t clean themselves without falling over typa fat. apparently he ran out of kibble “yesterday”. i pressed him on that and he admitted that was a lie (shocker), and he confessed to only feeding them oatmeal and dried pasta for the last 2 weeks. im close to losing my mind. all of my boys except one (the deceased’s brother) seem super happy. just very fat. my boyfriend and i had a super serious conversation, and i suggested we go on a small break after this weekend. i think i deserve it. thank you everyone for listening.

Fromr/rats, popped up as a suggestion.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

"Why are you doing something special for some stupid cancer patient? What about me?!?"

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Probably got leukemia for the attention. Oldest trick in the book.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

sephiRoth IRA posted:

AITA for thinking my bf’s daughter shouldn’t sit on his lap anymore

:yikes:

:wtc:

:murder::murder::murder:

What a trash human being, gently caress.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

thehoodie posted:

You should be able to look at a little porn at work

...as a skeet.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for Refusing to Attend My Best Friend's Wedding Because I Wasn't Chosen as the Maid of Honor?

Bolding mine.

This is someone whose friendship is transactional. She'd be out of my life entirely before even announcing the wedding. I can't stand people like her.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Evil Willow posted:

My (26m) girlfriend (22f) is too enthusiastic when we get intimate and I can’t get past it

:confused:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Those drat chemo patients, always trying to get attention!

AITA? My brother said I could borrow his cosplay lightsaber and I took it to a takeover/sideshow and he’s so upset with me after it got a tiny scratch and needs a new tube thing.

quote:

My brother has this really cool light saber that he spent a ton of money on that has like all these effects and obviously lights up and changes colors. He’s into cosplay.

I asked him if I could borrow it to show my friends. He said yes. While I had it we heard of a sideshow going down so we rushed over. Along with all the lasers and fireworks the light saber looked so cool. So many people took pictures with me. But one of the cars got a little out of control as I was doing a pony. Then I dropped the light saber and it got a tiny little scratch on the metal tube. It also broke the light tube but I googled and they can be replaced.

My brother is very mad and said I never said I was taking it to a street race and he thought I meant borrow to take into my room. My parents say I have to replace the whole thing. I say it’s a tiny scratch and my brother has a lot more money than me so I can pay him back when I get a job but I have to pay back my credit card first.

AITA?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Cowslips Warren posted:

Those drat chemo patients, always trying to get attention!

AITA? My brother said I could borrow his cosplay lightsaber and I took it to a takeover/sideshow and he’s so upset with me after it got a tiny scratch and needs a new tube thing.

I hate this person

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I see the cost to repair the saber and replace the light tube was not specified. Nor was the original cost of the saber.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Cosplay-quality lightsabers are not cheap.

quote:

one of the cars got a little out of control as I was doing a pony
WTF does this even mean

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 22, 2023

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Especially since the "broken light tube" (which OP seems to be pretending is minor and about the same as the scratch) is the most expensive part of the entire assembly. It's also the most important part of the entire assembly because the entire point of having a cosplay lightsaber is that it glows.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Ghost Leviathan posted:

AITA for only buying my daughter books that are close to her reading level

quote:

My daughter Rose (9) is a very advanced reader. She’s in 3rd grade (8-9 year olds) but reads at a 9th grade (14-15 years old) level.

[…]the only books she wants to read are […] far below her reading level so I told her it’s fine if she wants to read them in school but at home she has to read things closer to her level […] Rose has started sneaking books home from school and when I started taking those away, she stopped reading in general. […] if she’s going to read, she should read something close to her level.
Sounds like she’s trying to, OP, but you keep insisting otherwise

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The pony and sideshow made me think some circus, but a street race has those too?

AITA for saying gently caress No to a dog and taking it to the pound?

quote:

I (38M) generally like dogs, but in small doses. I grew up with them, but they weren't the most positive thing to me growing up. My wife has similar sentiments about owning pets and they aren't something either of us ever wanted. We have 2 daughters age 8 and 10.

My sister (33F) has grown up to be a classic "dog mom" and loves her dogs more than anything. She is also very close with my daughters.

Well the other day my sister took my daughters out shopping. They come home with a puppy. I see it and i'm pissed. My sister is like look what I bought them. My girls were asking if I liked it. I tell them, can you take the puppy out front and play with it. They do.

My sister is like, are you going to keep the dog? I respond gently caress NO, you know we don't want a dog. Its not staying and you are telling the girls that its your new puppy. Take it back, keep it, I don't give a gently caress. Its not staying here. She says I don't need to be so hostile, calls me an rear end in a top hat and leaves.

I'm livid. I call the girls in and they are happy. My heart broke telling them we can't keep this dog. The look from happiness to sadness is something i'm not going to forget. Your aunt tricked you and this dog isn't yours. Well that did not go over great and they both went to their room crying. I took the dog straight to the pound. I gave my sister one more opportunity to keep it but she said her lease won't allow another dog. But she called me evil before hanging up. AITA?

Edit: I don't know where my sister got it from. I found a recomendation on nextdoor and took it their. I don't believe their are kill shelters in my area anyway.

i am reminded of that horrible TV Dad commercial where Family Matters dad gives the girls a puppy.

edit: many many many years ago my dad laid down the law that we could never have any pet snakes. He did not like reptiles in general but allowed the tortoises because they brought in money. Well, my brother wanted a snake more than anything. Since my dad had never forbidden lizards, my mom got a green iguana. Now again, this was over 30 years ago. She made the fuckup of buying the lizard and bringing him home, and us getting attached, and when my dad found it, he was furious and had her get rid of it.

Now clearly he was an impulse buy because we didn't have a loving room set up for him, had just started leash training him, but it was a bad idea either way. Still for years we kids blamed my dad for the loss of Emerald. He was taken back to the pet store, and it was several more years before we got any other reptiles. Mostly because my parents divorced, and suddenly his rule of "never under my roof" meant nothing because it wasn't his roof anymore.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

quote:

one of the cars got a little out of control as I was doing a pony

WTF does this even mean

Who knows, but is it short enough for a thread title?