Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

international flight with probably only 2 or 3 bathrooms and they feed everyone kfc lmao

very little kfc, to be fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.afr.com/life-and-luxury/food-and-wine/subway-offers-free-sandwiches-for-life-but-there-s-a-serious-catch-20230727-p5drmx

Idiocracy's "bought to you by Carl's juniors" gets another step closer.

Just got to legally change your name to subway.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

become the new Subway Guy....

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DancingShade posted:

https://www.afr.com/life-and-luxury/food-and-wine/subway-offers-free-sandwiches-for-life-but-there-s-a-serious-catch-20230727-p5drmx

wasn't that a bit from Community?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Flavahbeast posted:

become the new Subway Guy....

Those free subs for life are exactly what you need when nobody will employ or rent to you. Frees up money for another parka or bottle of hooch to enjoy under the overpass.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Never watched it but potentially? I heard it first in Idiocracy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Does anyone have any good reads on the whole declining profit thing leading to catabolic collapse?

capital volume 3

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

biceps crimes posted:

geographically, economically, socially and politically

do you think Pittsburgh is more Midwest? Northeast? or Appalachian?

he's not a real Pittsburgher but I grew up there and it's northeast, anyone who says it's midwestern is an idiot

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DancingShade posted:

DickParasite has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Jul 27, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Maed posted:

he's not a real Pittsburgher but I grew up there and it's northeast, anyone who says it's midwestern is an idiot

that's right

also I've lived here for 24 years and people still tell me I sound like I'm from Philly. :(

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

does theranos 2 also have a blonde woman affecting her voice three octaves lower

Nothus posted:

I'm at AACC and stopped by their booth. It's pretty low key

:getin:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

yes almost
businesses on campus had to be some percentage owned by a student, so subway convinced a guy to give up his personhood to be the human avatar of the corporation and enroll in the college so that they could sell their subs.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Domino's Russia offered 10,000 free pizzas to anyone who'd get the logo tattooed on them. 381 people took them up on it. It wasn't Domino's superfans, it was people desperate for free food.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Chamale posted:

Domino's Russia offered 10,000 free pizzas to anyone who'd get the logo tattooed on them. 381 people took them up on it. It wasn't Domino's superfans, it was people desperate for free food.

tbf I'd do it for little caesars

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

Surprised the actual number was so low actually. I guess the rest weren't quite so desperate.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
straight up fraudulent poo poo is on some of those Bot generated Ads but :lol: if you think something even remotely resembling justice would be doled out to the perpetrators in this godless universe

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1684415346063847424?t=vTwoqXoJg5LGCOfroaUoFw&s=19

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

straight up fraudulent poo poo is on some of those Bot generated Ads but :lol: if you think something even remotely resembling justice would be doled out to the perpetrators in this godless universe

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1684415346063847424?t=vTwoqXoJg5LGCOfroaUoFw&s=19

Surprised it took this long for people to notice how they were getting ripped off by bots faking ad numbers.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i cannot stress enough how much I think Python should just straight up be regulated and restricted by certain Telcos because its usage is so tailormade for Money-Laundering and all other types of Cybercrime

More so than any other language there's literally nothing it cant do at this point

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Jul 27, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
... what

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Looking too deeply into anything related to ads, and especially into how many served ads actually hit real eyeballs, is the Thing You Must Not Do

As someone who's been peripherally connected to the internet ad space for a long time, it absolutely amazes me that this house of cards didn't manage to collapse before it became this big and this deeply integrated into absolutely loving everything.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyjYIgnsIeY

drat this is cool and i see no possible downsides whatsoever

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

i cannot stress enough how much I think Python should just straight up be regulated and restricted by certain Telcos because its usage is so tailormade for Money-Laundering all other types of Cybercrime

More so than any other language there's literally nothing it cant do at this point

Telcos... Regulating... Python??... Money laundering???

Am I having a stroke

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lol pypi gets nationalized

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i just loving hate criminal computertouchers ok?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

we need to regulate both the number 1 and the number 0

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

we need to regulate both the number 1 and the number 0

Chrome can barely run on literally any hardware due to the insane amount of data it scrapes from you and the altermatives are no different:colbert:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

the general public may have javascript but you need to take this two week ethics course for python, one year licensing process for c it goes faster so it's more dangerous

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Telcos... Regulating... Python??... Money laundering???

Am I having a stroke

i want them to do the same loving thing to web3 garbage too:downs:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i cannot stress enough how much I think Python should just straight up be regulated and restricted by certain Telcos because its usage is so tailormade for Money-Laundering and all other types of Cybercrime

what do you think python does

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
what i seek is but a dream:

the complete destruction of the Internet Crimes Factory

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
why would you give a gently caress about cybercrime

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
the money laundering language

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Does anyone have any good reads on the whole declining profit thing leading to catabolic collapse?
Zodium is probably the best to ask but generally Marx's works are still top and not that hard to read

They're also different concepts, i wouldn't say one necessary leads to another. i'm very guilty of this but it's strictly important to note it's a tendency and that it has become a universal truth online is somewhat unfortunate because it's also a reductionistic take. it's actually a dynamic system of causes for crises that contribute to declining profit, not an orthodox. it would generally be more accurate to say crises lead to declining profit, not the other way around.

Consider that the sole driver of capitalism is the production of surplus-value that the vampire-likes lives off by sucking the living labor and the more it sucks the more it lives. Capital is then destined to squeeze every last center of profit from the unpaid labor of the working class, because it's core is that the more it can suck blood the more it lives. now a capitalist can do this in various ways: making the workers work more (longer shifts, ot, etc), speeding up the machines, creating new labor-saving machines, new studies of efficiency, acquiring cheaper raw materials, reducing worker benefits, etc. now with competition, capital has to invest in means to produce commodities cheaper than other capital, or squeeze more labor-power. So it's always an self-expanding process and the basics of accumulation of capital, or accumulation for accumulation sake. the basic idea being those capitalists where the productivity of labor falls behind the average close up or also try to squeeze more unpaid labor-power themselves.

It's the basic idea that then capitalists who introduce new machinery/techniques/etc that reduce the required labor-power (or multiplier on labor-power) then can sell their goods cheaper than the average gaining bigger profits than the rest and accumulate more capital. key importance however is we're on a global system, there were always "new frontiers" to exploit and "new frontiers" are ways for capital to rejuice the rate of profit.

But what happens when all the old infrastructure (be it machines, factories, or even people themself!) is no longer needed? take the obvious case of the Rust Belt. The Rust Belt was created because the infrastructures were no longer considered profitable (or profitable enough) relative to the genocides+coups that US did across the planet to open up cheaper labor markets and steal cheaper raw materials that capitalists can then use to make more profit on the market over the old techniques.

So you jettison them from production. But now you're stuck with infrastructures/people that are not worth keeping around, but that also (can) reduce the profits on the market place because if the masses are not paid sufficiently to procure commodities, the commodities that Capital is selling lose value. in the act of jettisoning the infrastructure, you also create a crisis of capital. Enter... The State.

The State comes in and absorbs the infrastructure (including the people). it's the old adage of socialize losses, privatize profits. This can be done in a number of ways (be it the arbiter of retraining, bankruptcy, taking ownership ala superfund sites, offering EBT/benefits to the masses, offering free money to banks to give out debt to the peons, etc) but the more The State has to take on, the bigger it's costs/obligations grow. So you print money. But this also has a knock-on effect for the capitalist and changes the dynamic of 'money'. A lot of US's 9999 trillion dollar military, federal reserve, etc is to ensure that printing money isn't detrimental to the capital class by either holding everyone up at gunpoint and/or making sure that Capital is equally getting on the money hose. Eventually though you have grown obligations and reached limits to grow/print (that it starts to detrimentally effect Capital) that another crises happens. This time one that requires the state to jettison it's obligations so it does not detrimentally effect capital. This jettison act can be... unpleasant, but the idea is once enough has been cut loose (such as sent to die in wars, turned into slaves, movements of people to cheaper maintenance levels, etc) that things achieve a level of temporary stability to the system again

zodium or others can probably explain it a lot better. i don't think that was very helpful and now I'm getting too lazy.

although not a marxist, JMG had a decent old piece on catabolic decline and onset, though there's lots of problems with these that i wont' go into. It's best to combine these with actual Marxian concepts about capitalism, and yeah go to Das Capital

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
regulating programming is probably a good idea in the broad sense in the same way that we'd probably benefit from a social media website that was run as a public commons where the point is an outlet for people to post, and a place for public institutions to make announcements

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

There used to be another poster with a baroque worldview and homemade philosophy that was popular on SA for a while - anyone remember her?
I'm not sure why but these pet philosophies seem to come and go every couple years

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

shrike82 posted:

There used to be another poster with a baroque worldview and homemade philosophy that was popular on SA for a while - anyone remember her?
I'm not sure why but these pet philosophies seem to come and go every couple years

:ironicat:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Xaris posted:

Zodium is probably the best to ask but generally Marx's works are still top and not that hard to read

just want to say, thanks for the good post. :cheers:

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

the money laundering language

I'd regulate English before I regulated Python on this basis.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

what do you think python does

im not going to sit here and post the entirety of Bleeping Computer

Cuttlefush posted:

why would you give a gently caress about cybercrime

if it doesn't inconvenience you personally it's of no concern. great mindset:thumbsup:

for the most part I'm just venting due to the lack of any real consequences for these types of criminals. Social Media and even certain sectors of e-commerce like FB Marketplace/EBay/LiveNation have been rendered practically unusable due to these Script Kiddy assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it's time to get tough on cybercrime