Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Indoor Dying posted:

Idk if anyone uses these, I've never tried them (fauci has! lol) but they are really cheap right now on bondafide

https://bonafidemasks.com/harley-n95-l-188-respirator-face-mask/
$15 bucks for a box of 20
and then possibly 25 percent off that, if the code TRUST works for everyone
TRUST worked for me, thanks! These are my preferred mask. I’ve never done a proper fit test, but they definitely feel like they give the best seal for my face. My wife likes them more than Auras as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Steve Yun posted:

picked up friend from airport

gave her a vflex to put on before she got in my car

drove her home with windows open

since she can’t get pax I bought her a neilmed bottle. she said she struggled with a neti pot before so if neilmed doesn’t work maybe I’ll drop a bottle of Enovid at her place

Good on ya' Steve.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

captainbananas posted:

from the very first instance of the thread you could see the parallel timing of increased transmission/illness and threadshitting/complaining, yeah. just about as solid a correlation as the yankee candle review complaint index.

Lmao

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Phlag posted:

TRUST worked for me, thanks! These are my preferred mask. I’ve never done a proper fit test, but they definitely feel like they give the best seal for my face. My wife likes them more than Auras as well.

:yayclod: Awesome!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
update: okay so friend tried hidrb.com first, got rejected and they tried to give her molnupiravir. she’s gonna try sesamecare tonight

edit lol she got pax. she hates nasal sprays and sinus rinses so much she decided to take another stab at getting pax instead

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 05:12 on Aug 23, 2023

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

StratGoatCom posted:

if we're still talking games:

I don't know how to feel about how much of this text I recognize

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Purchased two of the Flo nasal sprays from Amazon but both had the bottom seal broken. Pretty sketchy.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Just looking at some posts from acquaintances on social media who think covid is a government conspiracy to cow the population and prime us for authoritarian control so they can herd us into FEMA camps or initiate Order 36 or whatever the gently caress and reflecting on the ridiculousness of someone who thinks like that suggesting that I'm "living in fear" lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's midnight, C-SPAM the SAD thread is closed for now and so I hope you can all make more relevant posts and/or funny jokes about infectious diseases in the coming day rather than generating umpteen reports about forum/thread enemies who, for the most part, are not posting here anymore anyway.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

rockear posted:

Just looking at some posts from acquaintances on social media who think covid is a government conspiracy to cow the population and prime us for authoritarian control so they can herd us into FEMA camps or initiate Order 36 or whatever the gently caress and reflecting on the ridiculousness of someone who thinks like that suggesting that I'm "living in fear" lol

Being afraid of real stuff that can harm you is cowardly
Being afraid of fake made up bullshit is patriotic

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Oldest Man posted:

Being afraid of real stuff that can harm you is cowardly
Being afraid of fake made up bullshit is patriotic

To a degree I'm sympathetic to people who are so burnt out on reality that they look for someone behind the curtain who's to blame for things sucking so much. It's more comforting to believe there's a malevolent dictator behind it all rather than the collective pull of thousands of powerful but incompetent rich people trying to carve off a chunk of a dying empire.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The cool thing about a conspiracy is you can solve your problems by killing all the conspirators. Solving actual problems is hard and takes a long time doing things that aren't killing people you hate.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I see we're going for the high score today.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

eXXon posted:

funny jokes about infectious diseases

Here's some actual jokes epidemiologists tell:

What's the definition of a double blind study?
When both the PIs are MDs.

What did the hipster epidemiologist say at the press conference?
Don't worry. You probably wouldn't get it anyway.

A physicist, an engineer, and an epidemiologist go hunting. The physicist sees a deer and he does some quick calculations, adjusts his scope, and fires. The bullet lands a couple yards short. The engineer promptly takes aim and adds in air resistance into his calculations. He takes aim and fires, the bullet flies past the deer and lands a couple yards behind it. "WE GOT HIM!!!" yells the epidemiologist.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm going to go to see Janelle Monáe and accept in my heart that if my aura fails me and I get owned, at least it was doing something pretty gay.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eXXon posted:

It's midnight, C-SPAM the SAD thread is closed for now and so I hope you can all make more relevant posts and/or funny jokes about infectious diseases in the coming day rather than generating umpteen reports about forum/thread enemies who, for the most part, are not posting here anymore anyway.

lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Animal-Mother posted:

We have the tools. (they are shovels)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Did anyone make a recording or get a transcript of the now-deleted HIPCAC public comment on the new respiratory infection control guidelines?

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

The Oldest Man posted:

Did anyone make a recording or get a transcript of the now-deleted HIPCAC public comment on the new respiratory infection control guidelines?

Someone posted this earlier but that's all I've seen.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
I watched it but didn't record anything. Most of them talking had nothing to do with SARS-CoV-2 and they frequently got bogged down discussing how to best work the terminology and if they could please make it "3rd grade level" so people who aren't doctors or nurses going into a patient room will know whether or not they need to be wearing gown and gloves.

Then it was over a half hour of mostly good public comments mixing regular public opinions and some representative heavy-hitters including Cal/OSHA. Unsurprisingly all the calls were focusing on the lack of transparency, COVID-19, and how not addressing patient safety is causing net harm. Also which one of you is the "professional investor"?

Can is kicked down the road till they have an in person meeting in Nov. which is apparently when they're going to vote on what recommendations they want to send to the CDC which will be open to another round of public comment. Though since they took the video down I'm going to tack on a "maybe" to that last sentence.

[edit]

Found a full audio recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtxO6cwP9pU

Zantie has issued a correction as of 07:22 on Aug 23, 2023

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zugzwang posted:

Looks like Metrix's test is pretty good, judging by the PPV/NPV vs both symptomatic and asymptomatic samples. They target two genes instead of one, which I like. But not sure that they have sample prep/extraction (Cue does), which can be okay for some assays (I'm guessing they're using LAMP like Lucira does).

Might come down to the cost difference IMO.

yeah the metrix is much cheaper. like $75 for a reader and $50 per test. it’s available for purchase here: https://shop.peachmedical.com/products/Metrix-COVID-19-Molecular-Saliva-Swab-KIT-1-Test-Reader-Sold-Separately-p561344282

I may go ahead and get it and share impressions if I do.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

this guy is mad

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
https://slides.com/jbloom/new_2nd_gen_ba2_variant#/1

Bloom updated his slides again. We're at nine now. Three for Denmark, two each for US* and South Africa, one each for Israel and England.

*second one in states came in from Japan; was sequenced from one of those arrivals counters the CDC has set up at some international airports. Though they could have just had a connecting flight from there I suppose. Either way it's being credited to the state the person was standing in when the sample was taken.

This all may have been mentioned earlier but my brain went to mush skimming a lot of the posts from earlier today to get caught up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goa Tse-tung posted:

this guy is mad

whatever helps you cope bud

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oh it's one of those forums enemies I've heard so much about. Hello!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Oldest Man posted:

Oh it's one of those forums enemies I've heard so much about. Hello!

hi, how's your day going? wearing a mask i hope!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Mekchu posted:

only when a concerned person asks me to or when I don't want to inhale asbestos/other poo poo at work

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
One of my friends who has long covid caught a "mild cold", their only additional symptom is a slightly sore throat but they've still been bedridden for days. They'd pretty much been able to manage their lc fatigue on a day to day basis but this extra little thing just flattened them.
E: there's a good chance it'll turn out to be covid yet again, they don't bother masking

nexous posted:

we don’t really have a choice, do we? “get a second opinion” is something people who have never had to get a second opinion say.

insurance won’t cover it, you’ll end up waiting at least 3 months for a non referred appointment. so you just hope the dr you got referred to knows what they are doing, isn’t having a bad day, etc.

Yeah that recent talk about "If your doctor won't prescribe paxlovid just go get a second opinion" was pretty bad in that respect. Pax is only effective if you start it within 5 days from first developing symptoms, how on earth are people supposed to find a new PCP and secure an appointment inside that timeframe

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Aug 23, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: bad article, withdrawn.

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 07:23 on Aug 23, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I can't remember what the feelings have been on Your Local Epidemiologist but they did a pretty detailed write up on BA2.86

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/a-new-variant-ba286

The good news section is a little comical.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mederlock posted:

only when a concerned person asks me to or when I don't want to inhale asbestos/other poo poo at work

that's good and reasonable.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One of my friends who has long covid caught a "mild cold", their only additional symptom is a slightly sore throat but they've still been bedridden for days. They'd pretty much been able to manage their lc fatigue on a day to day basis but this extra little thing just flattened them.

pre-2020 colds would also do this to me, which is not fun. sinus infections in particular.

silicone thrills posted:

I can't remember what the feelings have been on Your Local Epidemiologist but they did a pretty detailed write up on BA2.86

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/a-new-variant-ba286

The good news section is a little comical.

that section seems pretty normal.

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 07:15 on Aug 23, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mekchu posted:

I had it surgically implanted like the Strogg as is covid thread law

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Oldest Man posted:

I had it surgically implanted like the Strogg as is covid thread law

bit extreme if you ask me

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mekchu posted:

bit extreme if you ask me

Tell it to the Makron, buddy. I just work here.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lovely article, read back a few pages.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

cenotaph posted:

I know that systemic discrimination exists but it would be cool if you didn't deny the existence of white guys with chronic conditions (like me) to make your point.

Reading it again, I can see how that came across. My phrasing was clumsy (I was mad!) What I mean to say is that there are certain chronic diseases that are less common among white men that are notoriously difficult to get doctors to care about. White men can absolutely have chronic diseases (some are even named after white men) and are not immune to getting hosed over by incompetent doctors.

Sorry what I said was upsetting. I hope this sounds more reasonable.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

TehSaurus posted:

We're all friends here.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
re: vg chat

no notes

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

harrygomm posted:

re: vg chat

no notes

Risking the death of my spouse for some sweet brunch is surely worth it, am I right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

TehSaurus posted:

Reading it again, I can see how that came across. My phrasing was clumsy (I was mad!) What I mean to say is that there are certain chronic diseases that are less common among white men that are notoriously difficult to get doctors to care about. White men can absolutely have chronic diseases (some are even named after white men) and are not immune to getting hosed over by incompetent doctors.

It's something worth being mad about! It makes me mad too!. I did not believe that was your intent and I am not offended but if we're looking to elevate the tone of this thread I thought it worth mentioning.

Of course,

DickParasite posted:

We're all friends here.