Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Mitch
Jun 17, 2021

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Well.....I suspect the first part of this is not true. The presence of someone writing credible death threats on the site in any form is serious as hell. I've been looking into it for a few days at this point, including contacting the payment processor and digging through the database, and got as much information as I could - this was doxxing combined with a death threat and this is easily warranted. I wanted to see if the person that did this could be found despite our store's limitations, and, if they are posting on this site, permaban them, and provide information to Boba Pearl to contact the police, if she chose to. Unfortunately, I am forced to conclude that Boba Pearl purchased these avatars for herself. The core of it is that she recently posted from one of the IPs that I have associated with one of the two avatar purchases, in a way that does not line up at all with the stories she told me. There are a bunch of details beyond that, but I don't really want to lay them all out here. It's bad and manipulative. Boba Pearl is someone I consider a friend, and it hurts to be lied to and misled in this way. I just really can't deal with writing up a big long post about the private conversations I had with her leading up to this conclusion, but I also can't leave it unaddressed.

To be real with all of you, I am....aghast. Boba, I went out on a limb by allowing you to return to posting on this site, previously posting as permabanned user Turtlicious, and I just.....don't know what to say. You posted about missing SPR the morning you did this. Did you not remember how this hurt people? Do you not see how concerned and worried this makes people in this community?

Turtlicious posted:

Which we are doing, and many countries in the G20 have agreed to do. I'm 26 and I refuse to die in a global apocalypse. I'm going to die at 85 surrounded by my family and friends, and if there is a final account, St. Peter / Buddha / Anubis will know I didn't just sit back and let the apocalypse happen. I fought for the right things and I never gave up hope that humanity could do better.

Weight my heart against a feather you fucks, I'm ready to try and save the world.

e: Even if someone has to go pipe bomb some methane emitting cows, or gently caress up an oil pipeline.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Turtlicious posted:

I'm going to change the world for the better motherfuckers, come at me.

e: I'm gonna make them call me my online handle.

Turtlicious posted:

watch the news in the next 2 weeks.

e: I'm going to stop climate change.

Turtlicious posted:

No-one showed up. Didn't want to go alone.

Turtlicious posted:

LIke to use a metaphor, I had a DND game going and I 3d Printed some very expensive miniatures, that you can't just flush down the toilet, and had all of my uh dice and snacks ready, and no-one came and now I'm wondering how you disassemble 3 goblin figurines w/o losing your loving fingers.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Why on earth did you let someone come back who threatened to commit a terrorist attack with pipe bombs and bragged about it?

Why did you feel this was a valuable poster who should be allowed here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Extremely cool that this has happened twice.

Schweinhund posted:

I remember when Boba Pearl announced that the GBS Ukraine thread were the ones buying her harassing avatars and she blamed the IK Kit Constantine for it over and over. I thought it was a lovely thing to baselessly accuse that, even if she wasn't buying them herself.

I suspected she was buying them for herself, but there's no way you can even insinuate that or you'd get banned. She seemed like a toxic poster just like SPR was and it sucks how you have to wait for something like this to happen to get rid of them.

You should still get banned for insinuating it. Just because some insane crybullies pulled a stunt like this doesn't make it any less likely that internet losers could and would do the same thing to others, and we should take this poo poo dead seriously. "You're doxxing and harassing yourself to Own The Other Forums" is a vile thing to accuse someone of without any proof beyond a gut feeling.

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 24, 2023

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

cool

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I remember when Boba Pearl announced that the GBS Ukraine thread were the ones buying her harassing avatars and she blamed the IK Kit Constantine for it over and over. I thought it was a lovely thing to baselessly accuse that, even if she wasn't buying them herself.

I suspected she was buying them for herself, but there's no way you can even insinuate that or you'd get banned. She seemed like a toxic poster just like SPR was and it sucks how you have to wait for something like this to happen to get rid of them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Doltos posted:

Oh so we let an eco-terrorist who was making active threats back on to the website that we hope isn't shut down by the FBI, cool

Fluff this is a bad loving shot man, c’mon

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

henkman posted:

I'm not too shocked that the person who felt the need to put themselves in the middle of every little thing was an attention seeker

This. Seriously. Mods and admins should always be suspicious of any user who tries to make every thread or subforum about themselves.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Cocaine Mitch posted:

Why on earth did you let someone come back who threatened to commit a terrorist attack with pipe bombs and bragged about it?

It's simple: They sucked Jeff's dick over PMs. If you do this, you are allowed to do anything (except for heckin mod sass)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fluff this is a bad loving shot man, c’mon

Nah they suck and I don't want to see them posting in here, or at all to be honest.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Lmao

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

*giving self wedgie, dunking head in toilet, etc* I refuse to let the bullies win.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

Nah they suck and I don't want to see them posting in here, or at all to be honest.

Quoting so the tyranny post is saved

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Uh, the new av policy change is real good and I'm glad you made this change and hope it lasts without goons being goons and demanding to know who bought them a red text saying they like eggs.

As for the other stuff, wtf lmao

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Well.....I suspect the first part of this is not true. The presence of someone writing credible death threats on the site in any form is serious as hell. I've been looking into it for a few days at this point, including contacting the payment processor and digging through the database, and got as much information as I could - this was doxxing combined with a death threat and this is easily warranted. I wanted to see if the person that did this could be found despite our store's limitations, and, if they are posting on this site, permaban them, and provide information to Boba Pearl to contact the police, if she chose to. Unfortunately, I am forced to conclude that Boba Pearl purchased these avatars for herself. The core of it is that she recently posted from one of the IPs that I have associated with one of the two avatar purchases, in a way that does not line up at all with the stories she told me. There are a bunch of details beyond that, but I don't really want to lay them all out here. It's bad and manipulative. Boba Pearl is someone I consider a friend, and it hurts to be lied to and misled in this way. I just really can't deal with writing up a big long post about the private conversations I had with her leading up to this conclusion, but I also can't leave it unaddressed.

To be real with all of you, I am....aghast. Boba, I went out on a limb by allowing you to return to posting on this site, previously posting as permabanned user Turtlicious, and I just.....don't know what to say. You posted about missing SPR the morning you did this. Did you not remember how this hurt people? Do you not see how concerned and worried this makes people in this community?

Jesus

I started writing this post about avatars before all this happened but it stands now:

First and foremost - I will shut down the website before I turn off avatar purchases entirely. They've been part of this site for twenty years and are here to stay, forever. If you feel this violates the Geneva convention or whatever other wild exaggeration, please go post on some other website. We have deputized more than 200 mods and IKs to blank offensive avatars and they are downright quick about it.

I am willing to make the store change such that people need to log in to buy avatars, and I (and I alone) can see who purchased one. If someone doxxes someone in their avatar, I want to permaban them. But this is not going to be used for avatars that are simply insulting - it’s serious real-life poo poo only. I’m not going to even consider looking one of these up unless it would be an instant-permaban, by my discretion alone. I respect the privacy of the passive-aggressive avatar-buying box and I’m not going to discourage people from buying them by overzealously tattling on them.

If you guys want this feature to work, I must insist - do not create work for the admins by demanding they reveal an avatar buyer over insults. I am not going to allow the website volunteers to waste their time fielding an endless series of demands to know who bought a given avatar. If people can’t help themselves but work themselves into frenzies demanding to know who bought a given avatar, I will revert the change and we’ll go back to the old way. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Overall, here’s where this stands:
  • Avatar purchases will not be turned off, ever.
  • I will require users to log in to buy avatars.
  • I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

Thank you Jeff. This is what is needed

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

LIke to use a metaphor, I had a DND game going and I 3d Printed some very expensive miniatures, that you can't just flush down the toilet, and had all of my uh dice and snacks ready, and no-one came and now I'm wondering how you disassemble 3 goblin figurines w/o losing your loving fingers.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

This posted got permad for this post on 12/11/19 and was apparently allowed back on the forums on 12/26/19.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i am concerned that one of the decisions you made was "yes, this person who posted about using pipe bombs for domestic terrorism, they can come back and post on this website" and perhaps you should be having a long and detailed conversation with your lawyer about (a) that you did that; and (b) that you posted about that you did that

buy them a bottle of whiskey first, they'll need it

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

This posted got permad for this post on 12/11/19 and was apparently allowed back on the forums on 12/26/19.

Why did it take 5 months to perma in the first place?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

This is the greatest website ever made.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jesus christ

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

lmao

also

what the gently caress

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The new av policy is good and I hope people don’t abuse it

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Poppers posted:

*giving self wedgie, dunking head in toilet, etc* I refuse to let the bullies win.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm sad, and also loving floored by the Turtlicious part

as far as the av policy, yes, all sounds good

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i thought this was a really weird diversion in one of the covid sad threads but i guess it uh makes sense now

Boba Pearl posted:

There were murmurs that CO2 was starting to drop, and then someone started popping off about how the real problem was methane from Industrial farming, and that even if we fixed carbon emmissions, methane was much more powerful of a greenhouse warming effect, and that agriculture was going to strangle the planet. Turtlicious started posting there because they were sharing good news from r/climateactionplan, and was convinced by the thread that the world was ending, and nothing would save it.

Literally, in the new thread, their first post was talking about how their therapist begged them to stop posting there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884239&userid=189869

what the gently caress

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

evilweasel posted:

i am concerned that one of the decisions you made was "yes, this person who posted about using pipe bombs for domestic terrorism, they can come back and post on this website" and perhaps you should be having a long and detailed conversation with your lawyer about (a) that you did that; and (b) that you posted about that you did that

buy them a bottle of whiskey first, they'll need it

There isn't really a case anywhere for an internet forum having liability for this kind of nonsense as far as I can tell dude

Beyond that everything the poster said is covered by the first amendment until they're making actual threats of harm. More harmful places with more unhinged people than this exist online and usually it's cloudflare, not the government that resolved the issue

Jeffrey had every reason to remove this person from the community but no legal obligation or moral responsibility to do so

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

studio mujahideen posted:

i thought this was a really weird diversion in one of the covid sad threads but i guess it uh makes sense now

what the gently caress

Same thread

Boba Pearl posted:

The only thing I wouldn't super mock, is the idea that these threads radicalize people, it's generally exposure to that thinking without consequence that allows them to get like that. I would like to remind people, though I loathe being the one to do it, that an actual poster, made real world pipe bombs to commit real world terrorism. Yes they were mentally ill, yes they were perma'd 6 months later, and yeah someone did call the cops, but there was a real world consequence due to exposure of radicalized thinking.

e: Posting isn't JUST a game anymore, it's not 15 years ago. The things you say and do effect people, you can come to real world harm, and that reality needs to be internalized.

:lmao:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

perma boba imo

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

You've got a friend in me

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

what the gently caress

Holy poo poo.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

lmfao. oh my GOD. honey trap queen 2.0

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Cocaine Mitch posted:

now that i'm done laffin yeah uh, this is a pretty fair question

like it wasn't even a "threat" really, they implied they had already built the bombs and got second thoughts and were trying to disassemble them. why would you let this person back under any circumstances lol

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Judgy Fucker posted:

Why did it take 5 months to perma in the first place?

Satire?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I started writing this post about avatars before all this happened but it stands now:

First and foremost - I will shut down the website before I turn off avatar purchases entirely. They've been part of this site for twenty years and are here to stay, forever. If you feel this violates the Geneva convention or whatever other wild exaggeration, please go post on some other website. We have deputized more than 200 mods and IKs to blank offensive avatars and they are downright quick about it.

I am willing to make the store change such that people need to log in to buy avatars, and I (and I alone) can see who purchased one. If someone doxxes someone in their avatar, I want to permaban them. But this is not going to be used for avatars that are simply insulting - it’s serious real-life poo poo only. I’m not going to even consider looking one of these up unless it would be an instant-permaban, by my discretion alone. I respect the privacy of the passive-aggressive avatar-buying box and I’m not going to discourage people from buying them by overzealously tattling on them.

If you guys want this feature to work, I must insist - do not create work for the admins by demanding they reveal an avatar buyer over insults. I am not going to allow the website volunteers to waste their time fielding an endless series of demands to know who bought a given avatar. If people can’t help themselves but work themselves into frenzies demanding to know who bought a given avatar, I will revert the change and we’ll go back to the old way. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Overall, here’s where this stands:
  • Avatar purchases will not be turned off, ever.
  • I will require users to log in to buy avatars.
  • I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

This is good

this sucks!

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

johnny park posted:

lmfao. oh my GOD. honey trap queen 2.0

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
some serious stalker murderer is gonna gank us all cause we aren't gonna believe it's real

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
So as far as I can tell now the two main ways to get banned nowadays are

1. Die on a weird, unpleasant hill despite being given multiple chances to not. Often 100% self inflicted.

2. Get so addicted to the rush of owning your posting enemies you do something loving insane.

Edit: Holy loving lol those posts.

"Turtlicious (who sounds very attractive and good at webcomics) got forced to make those bomb posts by you insane doomers! This is on you!!!"

louis friend
Oct 7, 2005

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

what the gently caress

holy poo poo lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
lol