Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it can’t be overstated how important it is to spend points in the science tree to max out weapon upgrading

you won’t need to rely on drops — i didn’t find a single good epic of legendary rifle in the entire play through where i completed all the major quest chains

just a basic quality beowulf rifle or varuun particle rifle can be modded to do 10x its base damage and will one or two shot every enemy in the game except bosses. it’s insane how strong modding is for some weapons, it completely overshadows the damage boosts you can pick up in the actual combat tree, and for way fewer total skill points

speaking of guns
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Caesar Saladin posted:

The enemies don't even stagger at all, they don't even twitch when they're shot.
I remember being really impressed with the stagger effects, and character animation in general, in Rage.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

500 replies and the consensus is about as comparable to my firefly thread..

It sucks.

I'm surprised I havent seen any articles that mention how you can make the shio from firefly in the game.

Can't imagine why

hey, guess what? i’m here to ruin your day

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Full trigger mode

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
This sounds a lot like The Outer Worlds but with ship combat and procedurally generated emptyish planets? I didn't really get into TOW but at least I only paid like $15 for it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why no khajit pilots

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The outer worlds planets were empty and ugly and exploring them was depressing, but at least they were limited in how many they were able to put into the game by not generating them procedurally, so outer worlds is a superior game

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Why no khajit pilots

Yeah no kidding. I'm just going to fire up Morrowind and roll an Argonian named Farts-in-Public and make a custom class called Space Pilot. The backstory in my head is that they went through a wormhole and crash landed in Morrowind. Bethesda can't stop me or make me pay money to do this at all :smug:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"You gotta play this, it is awesome "

"I dunno, seems like people are saying it sucks. And I've seen some videos..."

"Oh yeah, it sucks, but modders are already fixing everything "

When your game is definitely good.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'll just play NMS on the switch while I poo poo.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The setting sucks so bad. It's fallout in space, a few settlements, random turd farmers out in the world, and a billion raiders.

It's central conflict between neolibtopia and fart's gulch/ cyberpunk isn't even a real factor.

If this was some backwater junction of space, I'd get it. But this is the whole of the setting. 3 lovely space govts squabbling while some universe hoppers chase the chaos emeralds or something.

There's no details or history that seems interesting. Closest I got was when the war crimes dude claimed the other side armed civilian vessels and he was just defending himself. Then it turns out nah, he's just a lying prick.

I mean, terramorphs are blatantly xenomorph ripoffs to the point where the "twist" was obvious and the unit 731 guys you worked with should have known from the start.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The plot is as flat and pointless as It gets

Why no fascist dictatorship that I get to fuckup

I mean the pirates are only like 50% morally bankrupt but only seem to terrorize banking conglomerates

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

People at the more cynical end of the spectrum were expecting Space Skyrim, or Space Fallout.

Joke's on you, what you got is Space Daggerfall, a game that extols the virtue of how loving implausibly big it is while 98% of its content is copy-pasted boxes that are a chore to actually play. Just a series of theretically interesting places you fast-travel to from a menu because its all separated by functionally infinite procgenned nothing.

Except Daggerfall:

a) Had some variety of playstyle coming from its procgen, like joining knightly orders or witch covens or whatever

b) Its actual plot had some interesting weirdness to it, like the king whose affair went so far off the rails he became an evil ghost, or the multiple factions having actual elaborate schemes and power-plays you could unravel, or a trippy pocket dimension housing an Ancient Dwarven Evangelion that Fantasy Julius Caesar used to conquer the world once

c) Didn't cost a billion dollars to make, or cost 70 dollars to buy :lol:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i played hundreds of hours of daggerfall when i was a teenager. i know nostalgia affects our perception and all but still, it was a much much better game than starfield.

if i had to compare it with any other bethesda game i'd say it's more of a "space fallout 3" than anything else.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Don't fret guys. Bethesda added a contrast slider to the game.

How do you not ship the game with that feature like what the gently caress lol

Every enemy is a shooting corporate goon. That's it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

you won’t need to rely on drops — i didn’t find a single good epic of legendary rifle in the entire play through where i completed all the major quest chains

Conversely, the very first level ecliptic medic I killed dropped a legendary Orion that I've used to basically obliterate enemies with incredible ease consistently up to level 20. I am not kidding when I say I got it forty minutes into the game. I thought legendary guns would be a common drop. I haven't seen another one since.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Asterite34 posted:

People at the more cynical end of the spectrum were expecting Space Skyrim, or Space Fallout.

Joke's on you, what you got is Space Daggerfall, a game that extols the virtue of how loving implausibly big it is while 98% of its content is copy-pasted boxes that are a chore to actually play. Just a series of theretically interesting places you fast-travel to from a menu because its all separated by functionally infinite procgenned nothing.

Except Daggerfall:

a) Had some variety of playstyle coming from its procgen, like joining knightly orders or witch covens or whatever

b) Its actual plot had some interesting weirdness to it, like the king whose affair went so far off the rails he became an evil ghost, or the multiple factions having actual elaborate schemes and power-plays you could unravel, or a trippy pocket dimension housing an Ancient Dwarven Evangelion that Fantasy Julius Caesar used to conquer the world once

c) Didn't cost a billion dollars to make, or cost 70 dollars to buy :lol:

Daggerfall does some neat stuff with integrating procgen into hand made quest content and was mostly held back by some bad procgen in dungeons and the overworld and all of the "roleplaying a random person in the setting" stuff being half finished or cut entirely. If Starfield was like a more finished Daggerfall by fleshing out the roleplaying random dude in a setting content that Daggerfall integrated with it's procgen and never really expanded on I could see it going down extremely well.

Instead they just noped out of effort on that front. You can tell they tried, but in the end we only get stuff like being a space trucker for random resource deliveries to Apple in space or playing a minigame to smuggle aurora rather than more in depth stuff. And then they make all of that less viable than going to a random procgen space dungeon and shooting some people to death to steal their guns.

Hell, even the in setting politics are less the punk part of NASApunk and more uncomfortable when you stop to think about it. Your choices of nations to join are Starship Troopers style fascists or right wing libertarian capitalists that cosplay as rugged frontiersmen (A cliche which given the real life equivalent at this point might as well suggest they're nothing but embarrassed fascists in disguise.) in space. Both of which are implied to be horribly exploitative and with a lot of really uncomfortable stuff in what they don't show you via what doesn't exist in the setting any more.

Of course they force you to be a stunning yes man to these fuckers, because everyone knows that punk is doing the whims of authority, right? It gets to the point where one quest is literally the "do you nuke megaton for the evil rich people to get a suite" quest from Fallout 3 only without a good ending as the only options force you to commit varying levels of genocidal behavior as the way to complete the quest. And no, shooting the evil rich fuckers is not an option like it was in Fallout 3 even though by the lore of the setting it should be given the specifics of where this quest takes place at.

It feels like the game was designed by a committee of really old and out of touch white dudes.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 18, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i just finished saints row 4 for the first time and its actually insane how much more personality exists in that game versus anything made by a AAA studio in the last 10 years

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Deki posted:

The setting sucks so bad. It's fallout in space, a few settlements, random turd farmers out in the world, and a billion raiders.

It's central conflict between neolibtopia and fart's gulch/ cyberpunk isn't even a real factor.

If this was some backwater junction of space, I'd get it. But this is the whole of the setting. 3 lovely space govts squabbling while some universe hoppers chase the chaos emeralds or something.

There's no details or history that seems interesting. Closest I got was when the war crimes dude claimed the other side armed civilian vessels and he was just defending himself. Then it turns out nah, he's just a lying prick.

I mean, terramorphs are blatantly xenomorph ripoffs to the point where the "twist" was obvious and the unit 731 guys you worked with should have known from the start.

what's the twist

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
The saints row games are the apotheosis of open-world games.

Overpower the player and let them do cool/funny poo poo. Let them customize their character and vehicles in absurd ways, but not absurd detail because we don't have time for that when we could be hulk-fisting cops into the sea.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

what's the twist

you must choose between good and evil

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Peggy Edson posted:

you must choose between good and evil

lol but actually. i have a feeling most of the quests in this game come down to this.

thinkin to play cp2077, witcher 3 or bg3 next. witcher 3 i already own but i played maybe 30 hours of 1 and 5 hours of 2 and felt meh. we'll see if 3 takes me. it's apparently good

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Milo and POTUS posted:

what's the twist

The not-facehuggers are the larval form of the not-xenomorphs, and are how they got around everywhere.

This is somehow a suprise to humanity as a whole and specifically the war crimes scientists who studied them previously.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Animal-Mother posted:

Jon Arbuckle: "Starfieeeeld!" :argh:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

GolfHole posted:

i just finished saints row 4 for the first time and its actually insane how much more personality exists in that game versus anything made by a AAA studio in the last 10 years

Red Dead Redemption 2 and Elden Ring came out relatively recently. I wasn't expecting Starfield to have the level of depth in world building and exploration those games have, but I was expecting far more than we got. Starfield is just all so bland. 300 years from now apparently we have the same bland political discussions and everyone still wears denim. You can just walk up to the President of the galaxy and talk to him before filling his office with landmines while he watches. Just about the only unique feature is occasionally a stranger will walk up to you and say have you been to the zamda quadrant? I hear they're having some trouble with spacers.

The strength of the most recent generation of consoles if you can put an insane amount of detail into stuff and the systems with generate and render it with ease. Instead we get flat, featureless landscapes and blandly disinterested NPCs that wouldn't look seem of place in a PS3 game.

Rockstar realized the money is made in people wanting to keep coming back and mess around online with their friends. People still spend tons of money on assets for GTA V a game that came out a decade ago because it's fun to do so. It feels like Bethesda pushed this out as quickly as possible to hit a quarterly goal knowing it'll be fully forgotten in a year. Focusing on a smaller, more polished game with actual exploration could've made this a real hit. The idea was solid. The execution is lacking in the extreme.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

so what i’m seeing here is that starfield seems to be the most sterling example yet of what happens when you develop a game from the paradigm of “gameplay is loops” vs “gameplay is a journey”

am i correct in that assumption?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thinkin to play cp2077, witcher 3 or bg3 next. witcher 3 i already own but i played maybe 30 hours of 1 and 5 hours of 2 and felt meh. we'll see if 3 takes me. it's apparently good

witcher 3 is substantially better than the first two games

however its fairly limited as an "open world game", i.e. its much more about story than exploration, and its not the kind of game where you can make any kind of character you want, so if you don't like geralt's personality you wont like the game. but it does what it does very well

that was kind of the issue with cyberpunk for me (aside from the bugs), in that one there is a character creator but its only visual, you stlll don't really get much choice in what kind of person your character is and i didnt enjoy v at all. altho i chose male v and i heard female v is better.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 18, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

so what i’m seeing here is that starfield seems to be the most sterling example yet of what happens when you develop a game from the paradigm of “gameplay is loops” vs “gameplay is a journey”

It's the strongest example of "Microsoft already bought us out so we don't have to worry about putting any effort in anymore" yet.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gizzi of Ravizzi

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

ThinkTank posted:

It's the strongest example of "Microsoft already bought us out so we don't have to worry about putting any effort in anymore" yet.

:hmmyes:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The game just seems so incomplete. Pretty frequently companions will mention things like "spend too much time in gravity like this and you'll regret it." Except there doesn't appear to be any issue with doing so the only thing affected is jump height. The Freestar capital has extremely high gravity and everyone mulls around and it doesn't impact anything at all. It's just a normal midwest American town with punishing gravity. You'd think they'd have designed their city to compensate in some way but nope stairs everywhere. Just zero interest or thought went into any aspect of this game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dick Fontaine posted:

It feels more like they had two different competing ideologies in development. Some wanted to have an immersive world where you can settle down and roleplay a character for massive extents of time. Hence all the fun but useless roleplaying traits you can pick up at the end of character creation alongside other undercooked stuff in the game proper. The other group wanted to have a half assed action packed cheap looking dopamine generating looter shooter with an underdone main quest interspersing it.

To expand on what I posted above about roleplaying and immersion in the setting they built while giving an example of how hosed everything is on that front: It's entirely possible to breach into the commodities market of the setting by selling minerals and goods to people via radiant quest chains. These are often absurd numbers of items. We're talking 300 or so ore. Something you won't get unless you have a dedicated mining op or whatever the source is. This is a neat idea but it's obvious it wasn't given much thought too. At best it's a badly designed way to offload excess amounts of outpost sourced resources that doesn't work (see point B in this post for why it's busted). In additon, the pay is terrible for the work you have to put in compared to just shooting and looting some spacemen and sometimes the quests flat out just don't work.

There's a good example of this in a roleplaying radiant quest system in Neon where you have a conversation chain to roleplay what is essentially a big game hunter as a supplier for a poor impoverished food chain that wants to introduce the brutally oppressed working class of Neon to the finer foods in life at cheap prices equivalent to all the freeze dried junk food the game offers you at every city. Mind, this one is implying you can just drop off your uncooked food stuffs whenever instead of in massive outpost level bulk. The latter of which is something most players will never even get to do since:

A: The radiant commodities supplier quests require absurd amounts of work put into leveling up perks, scavenging minerals, and building up outposts after you find the place that provides resources.

B: Even if you put in that work there's no guarantee you can play the role of a supplier outside of selling random poo poo to easily emptied out shops cashwise since the resource required in absurd amounts is randomly chosen from the category of resource. And even within the various categories there are a lot of options.

So you think you're going to get to do a good deed and bring back exotic meats and veggies from some interstellar adventure like some sort of fantastic interstellar chef who gives to the poor and flips off the rich and...the radiant quest is broke. It doesn't work. You can't even get the quest because they apparently never even tested to see if it would be picked up through the conversation chain even though you can say you want to help. For all I know the quest doesn't even exist and it's just unfinished content given that you can't even get a blip or a note or something to ascertain that a flag was tripped outside of the conversation tree being completed and locking you out of that tree again to try and pick it back up.

They literally didn't give enough of a poo poo about the immersion in their own project to test if the things that immersed you into roleplaying a character worked.

Meanwhile the looter shooter stuff is clearly polished if not to quality then at least to basic functionality. You can go to just about any base and get purps, legendaries, etc, etc. It's certainly not balanced or well thought out of course. Assuming you get a solid Maelstrom starter rifle off a bandit from level 1 areas you can take on level 75 military bases if you know what you're doing and are patient. But it works. And that says everything you need to know about how rushed and underthought the setting, mechanics, and game as a whole are.

It's a game whose better half feels strangled by it's worse half and the more you play the more it shows.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 18, 2023

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

it took 8 years to make this poo poo. 8 years, and does it honestly show? we're gonna see a polygon or bloomberg article in like a year exposing a massive money fraud operation hiding under the guise of game development, because there is just no other explanation. when you sit down and think about it starfield is unbelievable. $79.99! :tizzy:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

cumpantry posted:

it took 8 years to make this poo poo. 8 years, and does it honestly show? we're gonna see a polygon or bloomberg article in like a year exposing a massive money fraud operation hiding under the guise of game development, because there is just no other explanation. when you sit down and think about it starfield is unbelievable. $79.99! :tizzy:

was bethesda funded almost entirely by russian oligarch money back in the day, or did i hallucinate that?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

cumpantry posted:

They seem to have only been primarily working on it for 2-3 years. A lot of their team was focused on Fallout 76 and Skyrim re-releases in that time. I'd wager it didn't get into serious development until sometime in the pandemic. Bethesda loves to announce something then sit on it for ages. TES VI was teased five years ago at E3 2018 and they've not mentioned it since. I think a lot of Bethesda "development" is Todd Howard doodling during a staff meeting and then talking to some games journalist about this amazing game they've making that doesn't exist outside the margins of his notebook.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You know it kind of reminds me of Duke nukem. Where each section feels like it was developed at a different era and gaming. Like all the way up until the end of the game it feels like nobody actually had a consecutive plot line on what the gently caress this thing is supposed to be

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Deki posted:

The not-facehuggers are the larval form of the not-xenomorphs, and are how they got around everywhere.

This is somehow a suprise to humanity as a whole and specifically the war crimes scientists who studied them previously.

the small aliens are just baby versions of the big aliens?

whoaa.....thats crazy

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Dick Fontaine posted:

was bethesda funded almost entirely by russian oligarch money back in the day, or did i hallucinate that?

At the very least their owner Zenimax certainly appears to be leaning into the politics of russian oligarchs. There's at least one likely upcoming lawsuit against Zenimax for letting a manager and HR fire a transgender employee out of transphobia before trying to blackmail her into keeping quiet and apparently the transphobia is so bad in certain channels on ESO that news articles are being produced because of it.

https://www.thegamer.com/elder-scrolls-online-dev-transphobia-deadnaming-allegations-bethesda-zenimax/

quote:

Elder Scrolls Online Studio Allegedly Held Healthcare “Hostage” To Get Rid Of Trans Employee

https://www.thegamer.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-report-lgbtq-bigotry-zenimax-locke-twitch/

quote:

Report: Zenimax Is Doing "Nothing" To Combat Anti-LGBTQ+ Bigotry In ESO

“We need to feel safe and a lot of us in the ESO community do not feel safe."

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 18, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Everything this game does (short of the FPS looter-shooter dross) is done better by Starsector, a 2D game still in early access made by a half-dozen person dev team that you can buy for like 15 bucks :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

You did.