Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Verdugo posted:

Newsom appoints a temp replacement.

Which is one of the reasons she was holding on because they didn't like who newsom was going to appoint so lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

No sweat, they can just prop up the corpse and have Schumer control it with a series of pulleys.

They had already been doing that for years anyway.

she is in the house. she will probably get replaced by that progressive black lady that newsome wanted instead of schiff.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Wait, which politician will be able to regale us with stories from her young adulthood during the Civil War now?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

thread should have mardi gras music embedded all day today

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

she is in the house. she will probably get replaced by that progressive black lady that newsome wanted instead of schiff.

Feinstein was in the Senate, not the house.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Catastrophe posted:

Wait, which politician will be able to regale us with stories from her young adulthood during the Civil War now?

u kno who

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

Feinstein was in the Senate, not the house.

lol me dumb.

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Catastrophe posted:

McConnell

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Anyone :f5:ing Trump for his Feinstein eulogy?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol Bernie is older than Mitch too

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Seth Pecksniff posted:

No it's not? VP is tiebreaker so it's functionally 51-50

Also, the Majority Leader can place the new senator wherever there's an opening, which happens to be the spot where the late Senator Feinstein sat

It's not 51-50. It's currently 49 R, 46 D, and 3 I. The three Is mostly caucus with the D, but two of the three are Angus King and Kristin Sinema. Still, I think Chuck should be able to seat someone.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

No - House elections have to be decided by election

I could see it not being Schiff, then, as he's actually useful in the house at the moment and won't be in the senate. I know he'll still run for the seat in 2024, but I don't know that he'll get appointed to it right now.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Froghammer posted:

My gut reaction was to shout "GOOD" so loud at my laptop that it woke up my cat

Aw :(

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Here's hoping. I think that's who Newsom promised, iirc.

Jokes aside, I tend to feel sorry for Feinstein because she was clearly out of it and unable to take care of herself. I have a lot more contempt with all the people surrounding Feinstein that were fully aware of her condition and let it go on because of stupid power struggles. Maybe hers is/was a critical seat they couldn't lose, but that's why you a) don't elect to office people who remember President Arthur's term of office, and b) have substitutes in place.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I was at Henry Rollins' spoken word show on election night.

Just a surreal experience.
I was there. He had a whole lot to say but I was convinced things were in the bag hard enough that we didn't check news after getting out.

Mood on the metro was 50/50 dire and riot and cut right through that fog and oh poo poo here we go.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's not 51-50. It's currently 49 R, 46 D, and 3 I. The three Is mostly caucus with the D, but two of the three are Angus King and Kristin Sinema. Still, I think Chuck should be able to seat someone.

I could see it not being Schiff, then, as he's actually useful in the house at the moment and won't be in the senate. I know he'll still run for the seat in 2024, but I don't know that he'll get appointed to it right now.

That's why I said functionally ;)

Also idk California law but if Schiff doesn't win he may have to give up his House seat

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Jokes aside, I tend to feel sorry for Feinstein because she was clearly out of it and unable to take care of herself. I have a lot more contempt with all the people surrounding Feinstein that were fully aware of her condition and let it go on because of stupid power struggles. Maybe hers is/was a critical seat they couldn't lose, but that's why you a) don't elect to office people who remember President Arthur's term of office, and b) have substitutes in place.

While I mostly agree, it is still insane to me that she ran for re-election in 2018. What the hell did she think was gonna happen as she broke down.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah. i dont like feinstein but i just kinda felt bad for her. she was in a very safe seat. the issue is internal political poo poo which her solved against the people loving her over so. lol

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

What's the other open seat? Because 49+49=98. Do you mean it's 49, 47, 3?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Also, the Majority Leader can place the new senator wherever there's an opening, which happens to be the spot where the late Senator Feinstein sat

They’re gonna make the new guy sit in her wheelchair?!?

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
Also in 2015 I drunkenly prophesied to an entire hotel bar that Trump would die in prison and it took a while but we're on decent track for it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
but she was just officiating a wedding for Chris Evans and Alba Baptista!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Late Unpleasantness posted:

Also in 2015 I drunkenly prophesied to an entire hotel bar that Trump would die in prison and it took a while but we're on decent track for it.

It was in this very thread, or previous iterations back in 2016 someone, I know not who, made the post that what Trump doesn't understand is that exposure that the presidency will bring as well as his mindset of criminality and greed will cause him to ultimately lose the business.

That always stuck with me. And it was 100% accurate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My understanding is that in terms of officially held seats it was 47 D, 3 I, and 50 R, which meant Harris was a tiebreaker and there was effective D control because all the Is caucus with the Ds. I think we can reasonably assume that if Newson doesn't appoint an actual criminal or literal terrorist they will be seated, if potentially with some attempts at earned media from the rear end in a top hat caucus.

It is possible the Republicans will use this to somehow try to take control of the Judiciary Committee which would slow down and potentially stop Biden from appointing more judges. "Making sure Republicans appoint the judges" is like Mission One for the GOP.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is something funny in a real dark way about someone getting weekend at Bernie’s for years only for it to not matter at all in the end

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Fun fact, Feinstein was voting yesterday. Literally working up until the day she died making decisions that she will never live to see the consequences of.

I'm genuinely disgusted.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Fun fact, Feinstein was voting yesterday. Literally working up until the day she died making decisions that she will never live to see the consequences of.

I'm genuinely disgusted.

I mean she only living to see the consequences before on a mere technicality

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Currently Sentate is D 50, R49 and Kamala as a tie breaker when needed.

Once Fienstein is replaced, it will be back to D 51, R49 and Kamala as a tie breaker when needed. The Independents only caucus with Democrats.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
She's a former street cat that I'm still in the early stages of rehabilitating and she keeps stealing whatever she can fit in her mouth out of the fridge every time I open it. Any minor inconvenience she faced this morning is karma for me having chase her around my apartment trying to get back a bag of Aldi garlic naan

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I hope that if I make it to 90 I'm just genuinely out of the way and still have my brain so I don't turn into an rear end in a top hat or vegetable. Let me be a nice old lady that hangs out and makes everyone uncomfortable by suggesting I used to get it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Maybe hers is/was a critical seat they couldn't lose, but that's why you a) don't elect to office people who remember President Arthur's term of office, and b) have substitutes in place.

You don't even have to exaggerate to make Feinstein's age look bad: she would remember the Hoover administration and her first vote would have been for Roosevelt.

Froghammer posted:

She's a former street cat that I'm still in the early stages of rehabilitating and she keeps stealing whatever she can fit in her mouth out of the fridge every time I open it. Any minor inconvenience she faced this morning is karma for me having chase her around my apartment trying to get back a bag of Aldi garlic naan

Garlic is extremely bad for cats so keep it out of her way.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Nessus posted:

My understanding is that in terms of officially held seats it was 47 D, 3 I, and 50 R, which meant Harris was a tiebreaker and there was effective D control because all the Is caucus with the Ds.

Wikipedia page on current US Senate has it D47, I3, R49, and 1 vacant due to the untimely death of Senator Dianne Feinstein.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

You don't even have to exaggerate to make Feinstein's age look bad: she would remember the Hoover administration and her first vote would have been for Roosevelt.

:lol: That really is nuts.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Wikipedia page on current US Senate has it D47, I3, R49, and 1 vacant due to the untimely death of Senator Dianne Feinstein.
Oh good. I must have internalized the 2020 numbers, which were that as I recall (except Sinema hadn't flounced yet), possibly due to trauma :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Grey Cat posted:

I hope that if I make it to 90 I'm just genuinely out of the way and still have my brain so I don't turn into an rear end in a top hat or vegetable. Let me be a nice old lady that hangs out and makes everyone uncomfortable by suggesting I used to get it.

I’m gonna be the most badass old man you have no idea

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I wish feinstein’s family could have just let her enjoy her last years instead of what actually happened. Grim

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Coolguye posted:

I’m gonna be the most badass old man you have no idea

Hell yeah. I'd say let's hang out but the legs and the ticker yknow?
:hfive:

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I wish feinstein’s family could have just let her enjoy her last years instead of what actually happened. Grim
Why wish that? She was always horrible.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Death to the gerontocracy.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Late Unpleasantness posted:

I once, somewhat intoxicated, loudly announced to a bar that they were all invited to my place for a huge party when Donald Trump finally dies and the following silence that fell over the place told me to STFU and return to my drink.

My party plans have not been canceled. Maybe I'll show the restraint to not smile but I'm not going to frown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

They had Melania measure it with her special ruler with 6" marked on it.

215 6-1