Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I just wanted to thank baseball for being the source of so many cherished memories with my father. Take your kids to games, play home run derby in the back yard, or even just talk baseball with them. They'll have a lifetime of treasured memories to draw from, even after you're gone.

gently caress ALS.

Sorry to hear this :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Intruder posted:

This series was proof that going 7 doesn't make it a good series because there were only two games that were remotely competitive

I can't believe the Rangers got away with starting Scherzer's corpse in game 7

Congrats to the world champion Arizona Diamondbacks

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I just wanted to thank baseball for being the source of so many cherished memories with my father. Take your kids to games, play home run derby in the back yard, or even just talk baseball with them. They'll have a lifetime of treasured memories to draw from, even after you're gone.

gently caress ALS.

Oh drat man I'm sorry.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I really appreciate it. :unsmith:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1716838452614893716?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

lol. lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why would Buck want that job

The Angels are going to be terrible next year

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/billburr/status/1716651739397681641

Reminder baseball is a business and MLB is always going to cover its rear end

Popete posted:

I always liked Chapman when he was on the A's and I believe in him.

Chapman hitting in Wrigley would do wonders for his statline

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I really appreciate it. :unsmith:

If it gives you any solace, you knew you had time remaining and made the most of it. My dad passed unexpectedly, and I saw zero of him for over a year due to the pandemic.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Tony Phillips posted:

A belated b-day gift from my wife that I got today.

Flash back to September:

Give me gift ideas.
I want a Bobson Dugnutt shirt.
Who's that?
Baseball player.
Mariners?
No. Not really sure what team he plays for, actually
I'm confused
Flash forward 20 seconds as I try to explain.
I will buy it for you if you shut up.

lotta posters have really cool SOs

gives hope to those who've loved and sadly lost :unsmith:

:smith:

:punto:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

gently caress ALS.

I'm incredibly sorry that your family is experiencing a time of such unfair grief Kevlar.

gently caress ALS; at least it can't do harm to your fond memories and happy reminiscing of those unforgettable moments with those we loved.

:love:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Red posted:

If it gives you any solace, you knew you had time remaining and made the most of it. My dad passed unexpectedly, and I saw zero of him for over a year due to the pandemic.

I'm so sorry Red, that's truly heartbreaking to imagine, I can't fathom the frustration and helplessness you and your family must have experienced.

My father was diagnosed with cancer in the summer of 2020, and I vividly recall my anxiety and anger at the futility I felt daily until he showed a response to treatments. But that can't possibly compare to what you went through. gently caress covid.

(triple-posting because gently caress you death and heartbreak, I'll fill a whole page if I want to express sympathy and caring for my fellow SAS'er)

kalensc fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 24, 2023

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

My dad went pretty rapidly from "He doesn't seem to be running on all cylinders mentally" to "He's not allowed to drive anymore" to "He can't do anything on his own anymore or even talk" and then we had about 7 months of caring for him in that state.

You never know the last time you get to have a conversation with a loved one. Make sure they count.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

kalensc posted:

I'm so sorry Red, that's truly heartbreaking to imagine, I can't fathom the frustration and helplessness you and your family must have experienced.

My father was diagnosed with cancer in the summer of 2020, and I vividly recall my anxiety and anger at the futility I felt daily until he showed a response to treatments. But that can't possibly compare to what you went through. gently caress covid.

(triple-posting because gently caress you death and heartbreak, I'll fill a whole page if I want to express sympathy and caring for my fellow SAS'er)

Thanks, buddy. The shame is that he really would have loved this Phillies team, among other things.

Goons, go with your dad to ballgames, it's the best. One of the best memories I have with my dad is a trip to a Phillies game, and sitting in 30-degree weather to watch Kevin Frandsen walk off the Royals.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Explosionface posted:

You never know the last time you get to have a conversation with a loved one. Make sure they count.

The last time I got to watch a Packers game with my dad was on my 46th birthday. Was really cool. Then Aaron Rodgers got sacked and broke his collarbone and he spent the rest of the game pissed off about it. Whoops. The last time I talked to him on the phone was a week later following an expected rear end kicking from the Saints. It was clear the end was coming soon and I've regretted not calling daily ever since.

gently caress cancer. This guy was rad as Hell.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Because if he is offered it, it'll be the only offer he gets, most likely.

Buck is exactly what the Angels need right now, as long as they remember to fire him after 2 years. He may be backward but dude knows how to get a team playing proper baseball

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I lost my dad entirely suddenly a long time ago and way too young to be ready but loss is loss. And like you all I have these memories I can still hold onto 20 years later of walking to Yankee Stadium with him on a hot summer day or watching the Knicks with him on a winter night. And that gets more and more important to me the longer it’s been.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My dad visited me this summer and I took him to a Mariners/Royals game where the mariners hit like six absolute tanks and he and I had so much fuckin fun watching that poo poo.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's 67 and not a particularly good manager.

There's also only so many jobs. He's not going back to the Mets so it's Anaheim, San Francisco, Cleveland and maybe Houston and the Giants are reportedly leaning Melvin (and the Padres leaning Shildt or Flaherty) and the Guardians Vogt. Milwaukee and Houston could also open up but neither of them seem like teams that would want a guy like Buck.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 24, 2023

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I lost my dad about 15 years ago and very suddenly, too young to process it properly. A lot of my fondest memories are sports and baseball-related. I would have loved for him to have been here in 2016, he probably would have ended up living with us for the entire month of October heh.

Kevlar's dad has really been like a second dad to me, a truly incredible man and I love him a ton. gently caress ALS.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Last I heard, my dad's still alive, but I haven't talked to him in 20 years.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I'm in a similar boat here. Once I left Texas I largely stopped talking to my family. I still see my dad maybe once every few years with the kids just so they can see grandpa but eh...they weren't the greatest people in the world.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Also moms are cool too and like sports also. I’ve been blessed with time with my mom and the stress of caring for her in her 80s. And we love watching sports together.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The last thing I got to really do with my dad was that we went to the Marlins’ FanFest in 2012 in their new stadium. A few months later he was diagnosed with leukemia and then at the end of the year he passed away from complications from an infection after he finished his last round of chemo.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

The last time I got to watch a Packers game with my dad was on my 46th birthday. Was really cool. Then Aaron Rodgers got sacked and broke his collarbone and he spent the rest of the game pissed off about it. Whoops. The last time I talked to him on the phone was a week later following an expected rear end kicking from the Saints. It was clear the end was coming soon and I've regretted not calling daily ever since.

gently caress cancer. This guy was rad as Hell.

Hell yeah he was, that's a fantastic shot! Cherish the time you spent enjoying football and other activities, and don't guilt-trip yourself about not doing X (if you'd done X, you'd be lamenting Y instead). And gently caress cancer, goddamn, right down to the last circle of hell.

STAC Goat posted:

I lost my dad entirely suddenly a long time ago and way too young to be ready but loss is loss. And like you all I have these memories I can still hold onto 20 years later of walking to Yankee Stadium with him on a hot summer day or watching the Knicks with him on a winter night. And that gets more and more important to me the longer it’s been.

I'm so sorry STAC, the loss of a parent when they're still relatively young is just... ugh. It's nice to hear you were able to form long-lasting memories that resonate vividly 20 years on though. :unsmith:

Poque posted:

I lost my dad about 15 years ago and very suddenly, too young to process it properly. A lot of my fondest memories are sports and baseball-related. I would have loved for him to have been here in 2016, he probably would have ended up living with us for the entire month of October heh.

Kevlar's dad has really been like a second dad to me, a truly incredible man and I love him a ton. gently caress ALS.

gently caress ALS, and gently caress death for putting you through this sort of grief for a second time Poque. I hope you & Kevlar & other family are able to celebrate his life and take solace in the eternal memory of the experiences you shared over the years.

Some Numbers posted:

:smith:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

This feels like the most appropriate time to share this.

It deals with one particular poster's grieving process over the imminent loss of their beloved:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I thought it was going to be about the Phillies

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Giants are hiring Bob Melvin from the Padres

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Whatever baseball's Rooney Rule is called is clearly bull poo poo, especially if the Padres just promote Shildt and the Mets poach Counsell.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/1716868217938063550

lmao imagine watching the Padres collapse this year despite being loaded with talent and a big article expose coming out about how their clubhouse is in total anarchy, and going "yeah we want the guy in charge of that."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/billburr/status/1716651739397681641

Reminder baseball is a business and MLB is always going to cover its rear end

Yeah my dad I had a real sarcastic laugh about this

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

kalensc posted:

This feels like the most appropriate time to share this.

It deals with one particular poster's grieving process over the imminent loss of their beloved:

lmao

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Red posted:

Thanks, buddy. The shame is that he really would have loved this Phillies team, among other things.

Goons, go with your dad to ballgames, it's the best. One of the best memories I have with my dad is a trip to a Phillies game, and sitting in 30-degree weather to watch Kevin Frandsen walk off the Royals.

i take my dad to a game for his birthday every year. his birthday's in april though, so after we went to this game and had to leave in the 4th, we push it to sometime in the summer.

he's not in great shape, but there's not *currently* any acute problems like cancer or ALS. diabetes, bad knees, bad eyes, but he's doing alright for now.

Poque posted:

funny enough my dad fell asleep on the couch during game 7. although they were winning when he fell asleep, and when he woke up it was over! so at least he didn't have to suffer through chapman, more sweat than man, throwing noncompetitive sliders for another whole-rear end inning

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

STAC Goat posted:

Also moms are cool too and like sports also. I’ve been blessed with time with my mom and the stress of caring for her in her 80s. And we love watching sports together.

Very true. My mom is actually the reason I'm a Cubs/baseball fan at all. I'm glad that, if nothing else, I had a chance to get her to Wrigley back in 2016. She's still doing good, thankfully.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
My dad got me into baseball and used to umpire my little league games (our umpires also sucked and couldn't manage a strike zone, we were just like the pros!). And he's still alive and from what I know very happy and content with his second family, spending my grandparent's inheritance lavishly on my step siblings.

So if your dad is still alive and in your life, don't let that time go to waste. :smith:

Dameius fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 24, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
My dad died last year after fighting mesothelioma for about a year. We did the home hospice thing which while very taxing on everyone did allow him to see Judge hit 62. That was the last day he was lucid but I would give him playoff score updates until he died a week later.

He coached both my brother’s and my teams growing up. No clue how he pulled that off with a full-time job but he did. He was also a trivia fount and I wish he were around to enjoy Immaculate Grid.

Sorry for your loss Kevlar and everyone else. One of the hardest things in life is saying goodbye to someone you love. :smith:

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/1716868217938063550

lmao imagine watching the Padres collapse this year despite being loaded with talent and a big article expose coming out about how their clubhouse is in total anarchy, and going "yeah we want the guy in charge of that."

I think that team has bigger problems than their manager, and the Giants know as much. I still wouldn't target Melvin, personally, but not because he didn't win with that roster. Also, he has had somewhat recent success with Oakland iirc. Tingler had similar issues in San Diego, and nothing in his time with the Twins, as bench coach, has led me to believe he wouldn't be an adequate manager.

I think the Padres FO deserves most of the criticism. Moves like acquiring Hader (who had a track record of only pitching 1 inning at a time with Milwaukee, which led to a conflict this season), Machado (notorious rear end in a top hat), and Hosmer (I KNOW YOU KNOW HIS PROBLEMS) have created what appears to be a very difficult clubhouse.

Chemistry can be overstated, but one of the things I like about the current Twins FO is they seem to pause before targeting someone who might disrupt the vibe. Pham, for example, would have been a natural fit for the Twins this deadline, but it doesn't look like they even kicked the tires on him. They're very analytically inclined, but they recognize that personality influences things day to day, and nobody wants to go to work with an rear end in a top hat. I believe this is a lesson they learned early on from Lance Lynn and Logan Morrison.

Anyway, I agree it's weird to be so dead set on Melvin, but I wonder if that has more to do with Kapler and wanting to bring in someone established.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Chemistry can definitely be overstated but I also do not believe a team whose best and most prominent player is Manny Machado will ever win anything.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

“Looking back on it now,” Friedman said recently with a rueful smile earlier, “we obviously wish we would have said yes to other names they asked for before him. It’s pretty special watching what he’s doing in the batter’s box.”

“We signed him the day before the period ended,” Friedman said. “And it was more because we were about to be cut out of big-ticket signings. Ironically, the big question in the industry at that time was about the power. Which, I’m not sure how that was the question.”

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news...ros/2019/10/27/

I think I'll take Andrew Friedmans word

e: actually I should have linked the LA Times article they pulled those quotes from instead

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-yordan-alvarez-dodgers-cuban-signings-mistakes-astros-20190706-story.html

e2: oof this is the playoff n/v thread not the offseason one, I'll take this there if it continues
I don't believe that if they had an under-the-table deal Friedman would admit to that publicly.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Red Sox have apparently offered the head of baseball ops job to...Craig Breslow???

https://twitter.com/jcmccaffrey/status/1716981996948197684

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

howe_sam posted:

The Red Sox have apparently offered the head of baseball ops job to...Craig Breslow???

https://twitter.com/jcmccaffrey/status/1716981996948197684

noooooo stay the gently caress away