Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

MechaX posted:

You know if I wasn't stuck with Fayt/Cliff/Nel for like 70% of the game, I'd replay SO3 and actually level up Maria this time

Go for the characters no one uses instead.
Like Roger.

Overbite posted:

So just making sure, is there no way to make party members avoid attacks? This boss does an AOE instant kill and kills everyone I'm not controlling all at the same time because they won't move away from it.

Not really, other than setting their strategy to avoid enemies, I guess?
AI being suicidal was always a bit of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first boss starting as Rena and Claude joins level 1, he just runs at it and gets one shot lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rena's JP voice is annoying.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Cyflan posted:

Go for the characters no one uses instead.
Like Roger.

So I say this with absolute praise to SO2 R; all of the character portraits make the characters look visually appealing and I even want to give Welch loving Vineyard a chance

But for SO3, there ain't no loving way I will ever use party members like Roger or Peppita (bad art, bad voices, allegedly bad gameplay too)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Leraika posted:

Info on Star Ocean 2 items

Quoting this so I can find this later.

I ordered SO2R, but Amazon's currently out of stock of PS5 copies, so I'll have to wait :argh:

Barudak posted:

I like that the Star Ocean remake has all 3 character portrait styles available so I can reconfirm with myself while the PSP era clean look is probably a net positive for artists in many regards I want sharp angles and finely detailed greebles on my anime.

I'm so glad to hear this, because the original Ashton portrait should be preserved:

He just looks absolutely miserable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MechaX posted:

So I say this with absolute praise to SO2 R; all of the character portraits make the characters look visually appealing and I even want to give Welch loving Vineyard a chance

But for SO3, there ain't no loving way I will ever use party members like Roger or Peppita (bad art, bad voices, allegedly bad gameplay too)

can vouch that peppita's combat wasn't great

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Max Wilco posted:

Quoting this so I can find this later.

I ordered SO2R, but Amazon's currently out of stock of PS5 copies, so I'll have to wait :argh:

I'm so glad to hear this, because the original Ashton portrait should be preserved:

He just looks absolutely miserable.

FWIW those recommendations only go through the first continent and only briefly covers Kurik; the further you are in the game, the less useful pickpocketing is generally (and also I've been too busy loving around to trigger the Kurik plot event and actually advance the drat story). That's just the immediate 'this is why you get the gloves asap' stuff.

edit: actually said that in the item list post lmao

Leraika fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 5, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Man though, this Second Story R OST slaps really hard. Usually in the case of a game like this that features a remixed OST, I just default back to the old one. But some of these tracks are easily some of Sakuraba's best works.

He really goes to town with that prog synth sound.

I think the new OST might be the best part of this iteration.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Rena's JP voice is annoying.

I'm playing in English. The voices are OK

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Claude's line read when Rena named Creepy and Weepy was pretty drat great

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

MechaX posted:

Claude's line read when Rena named Creepy and Weepy was pretty drat great

Yeah, up to that point I wasn't fully sold on his VA.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neeksy posted:

How did you miss that? The game literally stops to tell you about it.

So2R kind of bombards you with tutorial messages early on so I get it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I've triggered the tidal wave and I was not expecting them to go with that much effort for the scene.

I somehow had insane RNG luck and stole all 3 of the prophet lady's things in one go.
My favorite thing to do with pickpocket is to see what NPCs have on them as a flavor text thing, because sometimes you'll find kids with bombs, or dogs with unexpected stuff.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I love that my first goodie box gave me some basic item I don't remember, a pair of sandals, and then a nuclear bomb

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Did anyone finish the fishing yet?

There is one gigantic fish around princebrdige that I can't seem to catch. Like 1 in 20 it triggers the big fish scene, and like 9 in 10 it pulls a random encounter. 1 in 10, it took me to the hooking minigame then just did nothing for like literally 6 or 7 minutes. I thought it was bugged, so I reeled.

Is there really a fish that takes like 10 minutes to bite? That's trolly

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The first goodie box I got gave me "Fanfic", a vegetable, and "Fanfic?!"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Colonel posted:

you uh, are not supposed to be able to get the one you got before the other one, unless you're referring to the same one they got

I could swear the one I found was in the caves under the forest area, but I might be misremembering.

Edit: I was, in fact, misremembering.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 5, 2023

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The Chairman posted:

The first goodie box I got gave me "Fanfic", a vegetable, and "Fanfic?!"

Fanfic?! and Fanfic ;) are pretty easy moneymakers early on, save one of them to replicate

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Leraika posted:

FWIW those recommendations only go through the first continent and only briefly covers Kurik; the further you are in the game, the less useful pickpocketing is generally (and also I've been too busy loving around to trigger the Kurik plot event and actually advance the drat story). That's just the immediate 'this is why you get the gloves asap' stuff.

edit: actually said that in the item list post lmao

That's sort of what I remember reading elsewhere. I know there's the trick where you can duplicate Forged Medals and reach Level 100 early on, but past that, they don't work, and the level cap is 255. It's just to kind of get ahead of the curve.

How difficult would it be to get 100% completion for the game? From what I heard, the final boss without the limiter really requires you to be powerful and prepared. Plus, there's the Cave of Trials and Voice Collection (?) secret bosses as well.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Max Wilco posted:

That's sort of what I remember reading elsewhere. I know there's the trick where you can duplicate Forged Medals and reach Level 100 early on, but past that, they don't work, and the level cap is 255. It's just to kind of get ahead of the curve.

How difficult would it be to get 100% completion for the game? From what I heard, the final boss without the limiter really requires you to be powerful and prepared. Plus, there's the Cave of Trials and Voice Collection (?) secret bosses as well.

Not so bad on Earth or Galaxy, but Universe seems to be absolute bullshit after the normal final boss. I can't even touch regular battles in the first floor of the bonus dungeon. Getting all the endings might be tough, I don't know if there are ways to manipulate friendship levels so that you can get dozens in one play.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

If it works like the PS1 version (it probably doesn't) there is but it's tedious: use books/perfume to set relationship/friendship as appropriate to 8 and then fight 200 battles; you get +1 RP and FP per 100 battles, if my memory serves me.

Since this is on pc though directly manipulating the scores via cheating shouldn't be too hard.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Not so bad on Earth or Galaxy, but Universe seems to be absolute bullshit after the normal final boss. I can't even touch regular battles in the first floor of the bonus dungeon. Getting all the endings might be tough, I don't know if there are ways to manipulate friendship levels so that you can get dozens in one play.

The trophy list doesn't make any mention of difficulty settings, so that doesn't seem like it'd be a factor. (with Retro Achivements, though...)

-

Here's something interesting I stumbled across. I found scans of the Prima guide for Star Ocean 2, and in it, there are illustrations for some of the skills:

The guide doesn't list who the artist is. Is it possible these were from the Japanese SO2 manual, or some other source? (someone mentioned there was a Star Ocean manga)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there somewhere I can purchase fountain pens in bulk? Writing books seems like it could save me a lot of skill points if I could get a reliable source of them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zereth posted:

Is there somewhere I can purchase fountain pens in bulk? Writing books seems like it could save me a lot of skill points if I could get a reliable source of them.

Linga has pretty much every crafting material in one store.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Max Wilco posted:

Here's something interesting I stumbled across. I found scans of the Prima guide for Star Ocean 2, and in it, there are illustrations for some of the skills:

The guide doesn't list who the artist is. Is it possible these were from the Japanese SO2 manual, or some other source? (someone mentioned there was a Star Ocean manga)

That is a 2000s Webcomic as hell art style, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the magazine staff illustrated those.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zereth posted:

The first town on the new continent has them, no need to get to Linga, and yes, you can save a pile of skill (and BP) points doing this. Note the level 1 books can only take you to level 7 for skills

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Barudak posted:

The first town on the new continent has them, no need to get to Linga, and yes, you can save a pile of skill (and BP) points doing this. Note the level 1 books can only take you to level 7 for skills
Yeah, I noticed since a quild quest gave me 10 to work with when I only needed 1 and I had a c ouple from somewhere else.

I wish I'd found the guy selling Biology and Item Knowledge for fish before I crafted several, though I could've used them on other skills.

EDIT: at least you get SP directly as a battle reward so suboptimal decisions here aren't gonna cause permanent problems. I think I'll hold off on Farieology for now, though, that's an expensive skill and one of the ones I can make books for. (In theory.)

Zereth fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 5, 2023

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Just realized if you stand next to a fishing spot for a second it shows you how many different fish you can obtain there.

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER
Is Star Ocean 2 actually any good? I’ve never played one and reading all this poo poo about resetting to be able to pickpocket and all these missable items is making it sound like a completely loving miserable experience lmao

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Metric Skeleton posted:

Is Star Ocean 2 actually any good? I’ve never played one and reading all this poo poo about resetting to be able to pickpocket and all these missable items is making it sound like a completely loving miserable experience lmao

you can finish the whole game without doing any of that, so play like you want

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Metric Skeleton posted:

It's one of my favorite RPGs of all time and you don't have to do any of the gamebreaking poo poo at all for any reason, it's just stuff you can do if you want.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jeez, the visual style of this game (SO2R) is great. Just really pretty to look at.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

What does it mean when you go to do any sort of crafting and one of the items is yellow in SO2? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why sometimes a ruby is yellow and sometimes a crystal is instead.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Milli posted:

What does it mean when you go to do any sort of crafting and one of the items is yellow in SO2? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why sometimes a ruby is yellow and sometimes a crystal is instead.

It means that weapon + that item has a unique combination

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Milli posted:

do you mean customizing? in that case it makes a "special" weapon from that combo but it doesn't mean it's an upgrade because it clumps a lot of weapon types together. so a regular longsword + ruby will make a flame sword, but more powerful "samegroupaslongsword"sword + ruby will still downgrade to a flamesword. But the remaster lists every outcome on the right, so nothing should be a surprise. If you noticed the yellow combinations will only have a single ??? unlike other ones (which can also just make something completely different like a shield, yellow will stay as the weapon)

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

TurnipFritter posted:

Just realized if you stand next to a fishing spot for a second it shows you how many different fish you can obtain there.

You can also hit R1 when near the fishing spot to see all of it.
Or to change bait.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

it bothers me irrationally that that third eye doesn't have an eyebrow

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

star ocean 2 is just a tales game, just with a lot of esoteric poo poo off to the side that 99% of players will never engage with

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I used to have that Prima guide! It was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I like how the illustrated group is claude, a bunch of ???, perisie/however they're localizing her name today idk from so1, and opera.