Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pingui posted:

Be advised that it might still be possible for your wife to avoid getting infected. I hope some of the posters in the thread whom have successfully managed to curb household spread will chime in, but basically it comes down to quarantine, masking and corsi cubes.

Yeah I managed to avoid getting infected by just staying in the far side of our apartment and keeping my window open every once in a while as it was late December. Using my N95 when going out to the living room for food and etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

quote:

Let's see where it goes!

Okay now I'm reading that tweet in a Steve 'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin voice and it's even more terrifying

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Nominally negative result, which would bode poorly for Fluvoxamine as a working therapeutic to curb PASC as it applies to the initial stage sequelae, except they actually did see a substantial (but statistically insignificant) drop in "healthcare use events":
"Higher-Dose Fluvoxamine and Time to Sustained Recovery in Outpatients With COVID-19
The ACTIV-6 Randomized Clinical Trial"

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2812204 posted:

Key Points
Question Does 100 mg of fluvoxamine twice daily for 13 days, compared with placebo, shorten symptom duration among outpatient adults (aged ≥30 years) with symptomatic mild to moderate COVID-19?

Findings In this platform randomized clinical trial with 1175 US participants enrolled during the time that Omicron COVID-19 subvariants were circulating, there was no reportable difference in the time to sustained recovery between fluvoxamine and placebo groups (adjusted hazard ratio, 0.99 [95% credible interval, 0.89-1.09]; P for efficacy = .40). Median time to sustained recovery was 10 days (95% CI, 10-11) in both the intervention and placebo group.

Meaning Fluvoxamine, 100 mg twice daily, does not shorten the duration of symptoms in outpatient adults with mild to moderate COVID-19.

Abstract
Importance The effect of higher-dose fluvoxamine in reducing symptom duration among outpatients with mild to moderate COVID-19 remains uncertain.

Objective To assess the effectiveness of fluvoxamine, 100 mg twice daily, compared with placebo, for treating mild to moderate COVID-19.

Design, Setting, and Participants The ACTIV-6 platform randomized clinical trial aims to evaluate repurposed medications for mild to moderate COVID-19. Between August 25, 2022, and January 20, 2023, a total of 1175 participants were enrolled at 103 US sites for evaluating fluvoxamine; participants were 30 years or older with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection and at least 2 acute COVID-19 symptoms for 7 days or less.

Interventions Participants were randomized to receive fluvoxamine, 50 mg twice daily on day 1 followed by 100 mg twice daily for 12 additional days (n = 601), or placebo (n = 607).

Main Outcomes and Measures The primary outcome was time to sustained recovery (defined as at least 3 consecutive days without symptoms). Secondary outcomes included time to death; time to hospitalization or death; a composite of hospitalization, urgent care visit, emergency department visit, or death; COVID-19 clinical progression scale score; and difference in mean time unwell. Follow-up occurred through day 28.

Results Among 1208 participants who were randomized and received the study drug, the median (IQR) age was 50 (40-60) years, 65.8% were women, 45.5% identified as Hispanic/Latino, and 76.8% reported receiving at least 2 doses of a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. Among 589 participants who received fluvoxamine and 586 who received placebo included in the primary analysis, differences in time to sustained recovery were not observed (adjusted hazard ratio [HR], 0.99 [95% credible interval, 0.89-1.09]; P for efficacy = .40]). Additionally, unadjusted median time to sustained recovery was 10 (95% CI, 10-11) days in both the intervention and placebo groups. No deaths were reported. Thirty-five participants reported health care use events (a priori defined as death, hospitalization, or emergency department/urgent care visit): 14 in the fluvoxamine group compared with 21 in the placebo group (HR, 0.69 [95% credible interval, 0.27-1.21]; P for efficacy = .86) There were 7 serious adverse events in 6 participants (2 with fluvoxamine and 4 with placebo) but no deaths.

Conclusions and Relevance Among outpatients with mild to moderate COVID-19, treatment with fluvoxamine does not reduce duration of COVID-19 symptoms.

News article on the matter:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/107439 posted:

Higher-Dose Fluvoxamine Fails for COVID Outpatients
Recovery time with 100-mg dose no different than placebo

Archived link: https://archive.li/coe9s

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I thought this was interesting and too short to meaningfully cut down. Most of it isn't news per se, but some of the data is quantifying what is happening.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-11-17/rto-wfh-why-post-covid-work-norms-are-so-confusing-quicktake posted:

RTO? WFH? Why Post-Covid Work Norms Are So Confusing

As the Covid pandemic fades into the past, many things have returned to normal. The world of work has not. Companies, employees and governments are still figuring out how to adapt to lasting changes to corporate life sparked by widespread lockdowns that put millions onto a Work From Home (WFH) schedule. At stake worldwide arent just norms for office life but the economic health of big cities as well, particularly in the US.

1. Whats been happening?
The so-called Return to Office (RTO) has not played out evenly across continents, industries or types of work, creating patchwork patterns within countries as well as around the globe. Rates of remote work stayed higher in the US as the pandemic eased than in other regions, but even there more than half of American workers toil in settings such as factories, restaurants or stores where its not an option. In some sectors, a slowdown in hiring from the frenetic pace of 2021 appears to be giving bosses who want workers back in the office more leverage.

2. What are the regional variations?
As measured by office occupancy, the highest rates of RTO were found in Asia, where levels of Covid infection remained low in 2020 and 2021, meaning fewer people spent long periods working remotely. Europe was close behind, while the Americas lagged, a reflection of the widespread adoption of hybrid schedules by white-collar workers there. Using a broader measure, paid full days worked at home, English-speaking nations have topped the global list, with the UK reporting one of the highest rates of remote work. France had one of the lowest.

3. Why the differences?
Workers in Europe and Asia appear to be more concerned about missing out on social connections than Americans. In Germany, 43% of the workforce spends four days a week or more in the office, according to a survey by workplace design firm Unispace. Chinas high rates of office attendance are attributable in part to its so-called 996 culture, which refers to a norm in some fields of working from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., six days a week. Loyalty to employers is also more steadfast in places such as Japan and South Korea than, say, in the US. And the US has a higher proportion of so-called knowledge workers able to log in from anywhere.

4. Is it all about geography?
No. Women place a higher average value on working from home than men do in all but a few countries, according to Stanford University economics professor Nicholas Bloom. The same is true for those with more education. And some trends reflect specific work cultures: Wall Street banks have pushed hard to get workers into the office for three days every week or more, while Japans largest lenders havent.

5. Has there been conflict over RTO?
In the US in particular, theres been a steady push and pull between employers and employees. During 2023, many companies gradually upped their RTO requirements; over 1 million workers faced tougher new policies that took effect after Labor Day, the traditional end of summer vacation season. Workers staged public protests against the policies at companies including Amazon.com, Starbucks and Disney. But the number of households with someone working remotely fell to 26% by the start of October, from 37% in early 2021, according to Census Bureau data.

6. What rights do workers have over remote work?
Enforceable legal rights to work remotely are scarce, but in Europe, policymakers have taken steps to promote more flexible arrangements. In April 2023, a law went into effect in Ireland that requires employers to consider employee requests to work remotely based on both parties needs. If employers say no, they must provide reasons in writing. The UK adopted a similar measure that will take effect in 2024, while Dutch legislators rejected the idea. In the US, the government has not taken a stand, but workers suing for the right to work remotely as a reasonable accommodation under the Americans With Disabilities Act have succeeded more often since the pandemic arrived than before. According to a Bloomberg Law analysis, employees won about 40% of such cases in federal court in the two years before July 2023, up from about 30% in a two-year period before the pandemic.

7. Whats the impact of these shifts?
The effects on productivity are hotly debated but still unclear, and some labor experts argue that any possible gains for employers could be offset by a drop in worker retention rates. :thunk: [ed. every piece of research I have seen indicates remote work has higher productivity...] The shifts have without question upended the commercial real estate market, where empty offices and the fastest pace of interest-rate hikes in a generation are leading to a debt crisis among some landlords :cry:. A McKinsey report in July 2023 estimated that between $800 billion and $1.3 trillion may be wiped out from the value of office buildings in what it called the worlds nine superstar cities, with San Francisco and New York being hardest hit.

Archived link: https://archive.li/MKjxQ

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gildiss posted:

Yeah I managed to avoid getting infected by just staying in the far side of our apartment and keeping my window open every once in a while as it was late December. Using my N95 when going out to the living room for food and etc.

Speaking of it is getting to be that time of year again! Wife is planning all sorts of lunches to catch up with friends.

I think my new Christmas tradition is huddling under a blanket in my computer room wearing my N95 watching The Thing. With the faint sounds of coughing from inside and outside my apartment.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gildiss posted:

(..)
the faint sounds of coughing from inside and outside my apartment.

Cacoughphony tiding the seasons greetings.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Well, one year after I got covid for the first time I'm in the hospital with a confirmed heart attack. 43 year old 6'1 225lbs non smoker non drinker. Yay

Five times vaccinated.

dang uh

hope you end up ok. I'm looking at my much, much shittier lifestyle right now thinking "this could be me" so maybe time to shape up a bit

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Welp the wave is starting. My new stylist (the old one mysteriously found dead in her apt at 33. Noones talking but foul play isnt suspected) saw me wearing a mask and offered to wear one (couldnt find one in the shop, declined my offer). As he was working we could overhear a customer in the next room complaining about not being able to rid herself of Covid symptoms and how it wasnt that bad last few times she had it. He jokingly said to me so thats why you mask, huh? I gave him finger guns.
Once I got home group message from work: guy who was obviously sick at mandatory in person meeting Tuesday tested positive for Covid! Shock, dismay. Another person who attended a crowded show over the weekend posted to fb about how her whole family had Covid, comments filled with everyone I know is getting it and the like.

Auras dont fail me now.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Oracle posted:

Welp the wave is starting. My new stylist (the old one mysteriously found dead in her apt at 33. Noones talking but foul play isnt suspected) saw me wearing a mask and offered to wear one (couldnt find one in the shop, declined my offer). As he was working we could overhear a customer in the next room complaining about not being able to rid herself of Covid symptoms and how it wasnt that bad last few times she had it. He jokingly said to me so thats why you mask, huh? I gave him finger guns.
Once I got home group message from work: guy who was obviously sick at mandatory in person meeting Tuesday tested positive for Covid! Shock, dismay. Another person who attended a crowded show over the weekend posted to fb about how her whole family had Covid, comments filled with everyone I know is getting it and the like.

Auras dont fail me now.

It is interesting to consider that the public health folklore of children is a direct parallel to the current reality.

https://daily.jstor.org/the-linguistics-of-cooties-and-other-weird-things-kids-say/ posted:

The Linguistics of Cooties (and Other Weird Things Kids Say)
The game of cooties lets children learn about the idea of contagion, but kid culture and wordplay arent meant for adults.
(..)
Theres a lot to learn from the lore of children, from what they say to how they play.

Particularly when it comes to the game of cooties, says anthropologist Lawrence A. Hirshfield, in Why Dont Anthropologists Like Children?. There has been little scholarly work on cooties, he writes. But his own review of literature on cooties and similar games shows how children can build a resilient culture that allows them to make sense of a chaotic world and how to act within it.

In a kids world, cooties and other similar contagions may not be realbut theyre deadly serious. The North American childrens lore of cooties is a social contaminant that pass[es] from one child to another, a form of interpersonal pollution. The term cootie might have been taken from a British colonial word for lice popularized by returning World War I soldiers, possibly derived from a Malay word, kutu, meaning a parasitic biting insect. It might be lice, it might be germs, but its invisible, and you may be in danger of catching it.

Folklorists Iona and Peter Opie describe a similar game from Britain called The Dreaded Lurgi, while in Japan children have developed their own prophylactic treatments for such a social contagion, called engacho. Similar medical methods, recorded terms such as cootie vaccination and cootie immunization, can also be found for cooties, involving special hand gestures or perhaps pretend injections. Children who play this game learn and absorb concepts familiar to a public health emergency, but on their own strange terms. Because cooties can be a serious problem.

As Hirshfield relates,

quote:

One of the lead researchers on the project, Ivelisse Martinez, witnessed the force of cootie fear first hand. Martinez was chatting with a group of nine-year-old children in a classroom (not about cooties) when a girl approached the group and sat in an available chair. Almost immediately and quite suddenly she became demonstrably upset. Martinez asked her what was wrong. The girl breathlessly replied that she just realized that the last child to use the chair had cooties.

Though it may have a real impact on childrens social distancing, its hard to pin down what cooties is exactly, because conceptually, it needs to be many things. Children have vaguely described cooties as They give you bad germs that can kill you or if you dont like a person and you touch them, you can get cooties. Its not unlike an invisible virus, in that no one is safe. No kid knows whether theyll get it, or whether theyll be accused of giving someone cooties.

The reality is that cooties also reflects deeper social problems and anxieties, not unlike what happens in the real world. Like a virus, cooties often attack the more vulnerable in childrens societythose at risk of being stigmatized in some way. Cooties make it okay to socially distance yourself from those you dont like. The material point Hirshfield makes is this: Cooties are about power and authority within childrens culture. Cooties are used to establish and maintain unequal social relations between children.
(..)

(As an aside to the above piece: I don't agree that "cooties" is inherently about power or authority, though that is certainly an offshoot and particularly so in the decades before COVID. At its core it seems to be rather directly about epidemic disease)

Edit to add the headline of the article.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Nov 18, 2023

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
[Pestilence]: Ha! At least I don't have cooties!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I think this is a complicated issue, nominally and in a vacuum telehealth is very good; however I have literally no doubt that the longer term consequences in rural America is a further gutting of healthcare access, as this will invariably be seen as an excuse for cost-savings. That said at the periphery it will likely improve service (from zero), so essentially I think it will result in a longer, but flatter distribution tail.

https://rollcall.com/2023/11/16/covid-aid-fuels-telehealth-expansion-in-rural-america/ posted:

COVID aid fuels telehealth expansion in rural America
Rural communities see telehealth as a lifeline as hospitals close down
(..)
The COVID-19 pandemic accelerated a shift to telehealth as doctors and hospitals limited in-person care and as Congress flooded the country with trillions in federal aid. But lingering questions about cost, quality and access have stalled broader adoption, with lawmakers hesitant to approve a permanent expansion of telehealth coverage under Medicare.

Federal pandemic aid also helped slow the rate of rural hospital closures. But as facilities contend with lingering inflation, workforce shortages and declining populations, the pace of those closures is picking up again.

Telehealth offers a chance to bridge the gap in hospital deserts.

COVID-19 aid infused millions more into an effort that already claims extensive taxpayer resources for equipment, technology and broadband access. A March 2021 COVID-19 relief law sent $350 billion to states and localities with broad flexibility in how they use the money.
(..)
Covering the distance
Theres a saying in emergency care that time is tissue, and its more urgent in rural areas, where ambulances might have to drive two hours round trip to retrieve a patient. The longer it takes to treat a patient, the more likely it is theyll suffer lasting damage
(..)
A partner for providers
Telehealth can bolster the amount of knowledge in the exam room, since rural hospital staff can have limited experience with complicated medical situations. First-responders are often volunteers with nonmedical backgrounds, and many rural clinicians dont always encounter uncommon cases in the small populations they serve. Avel doctors can also help cover overnight shifts, or just serve as a simple backup to a hospitals lone physician.

Because theyre on an island by themselves, Van Oeveren said, they dont have a partner to talk with.

Avel offers a number of subscriptions to rural providers, including inpatient monitoring, pharmacy support and mental health aid on police calls. The price is based on the overall patient volume and is around the cost of a nurses salary, according to the company.
(..)
Potential pitfalls
Still, uptake is spotty. Nearly a quarter of rural Americans lack broadband coverage, according to the Department of Agriculture, and more than a quarter of tribal residents lack coverage.

The technology isnt necessarily expensive. Mark Woodring, an assistant professor at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, recently conducted a pilot that connected Tillman County ambulances to Oklahoma State University Medical Center via Zoom and AT&Ts first-responder network, FirstNet. The total cost for six months was $5,000, and connectivity exceeded expectations, Woodring said.

But when surveyed, physicians and EMTs involved with the pilot said audio and video quality was clear only 62 percent to 87 percent of the time. Woodring is currently surveying rural EMS agencies across the state to identify other barriers to expansion.

These communities certainly have a lot of workforce challenges, he said, and adding one more thing to their plate certainly takes local champions.

There are other downsides to telehealth. Skeptics worry that an increase in virtual care will worsen access to in-person care that underserved communities already lack.
Congress lifted restrictions on telehealth under Medicare during the pandemic, allowing enrollees to use telehealth in their homes. But most of those flexibilities expire at the end of next year with the exception of mental health, which was permanently expanded and concerns about increased costs and worsening disparities have not been resolved.

One such dispute centers around whether doctors should be paid less for a virtual visit than an in-person visit. Telehealth can make health care more efficient, but doctors argue the cost of their employees and the necessary technology remain the same.

We gotta have the reimbursement to make the numbers meet for us at the end of the day, Erickson said.

Workforce issues like burnout also still threaten telehealths promise. The physical distance for telehealth clinicians doesnt always lessen the emotional toll.
(..)
Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle are interested in expanding telehealth in spite of the hurdles. Members have requested funding for a number of telehealth projects in their districts since Congress lifted the ban on earmarks in 2021.

Virginia Democratic Sens. Tim Kaine and Mark Warner, for example, secured $375,000 :newlol: in the fiscal 2023 omnibus appropriations law to establish a network of telehealth pods located next to rural post offices.
(..)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Hospital........ deserts. :thunkgun:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There's a lovely article by the NYT Editorial Board about how school lockdowns made kids stupider and ruined education. Since they don't bother to examine why chronic absenteeism persists today* well after the end of the pandemic (*cough*), let's check the highest-voted comment for more insight:

quote:

Im a science teacher with urban HS and MS experience. The learning loss and gap predate the pandemic, it just accelerated it. The roots of our problems are actually easy to recognize:

1) In a bizarre quest for equity, we arent allowed to suspend black or brown students because the State says they are suspended too often. The kids know this and thus do whatever they want. They literally run the school. I was hit by a shoe in the hallway this week. I asked the student why she threw it and she replied, Because I can.

No solution is suggested for this "problem", either.

*ok this isn't completely true, here's their explanation:

quote:

The challenges have been compounded by an epidemic of absenteeism, as students who grew accustomed to missing school during the pandemic continue to do so after the resumption of in-person classes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

that good?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

As a bit of a numbers aficionado it is very good. Is that the initial Omicron wave peak on the left or did that happen earlier in Austria?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pingui posted:

That means $15.88 (I have no concept of whether this is high or low, but I assume it is low :shrug:)

I got binax in my recent government care package and I don't like them. I broke one by accidentally tearing it. it gets gross too cause it's cardboard.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

As a bit of a numbers aficionado it is very good. Is that the initial Omicron wave peak on the left or did that happen earlier in Austria?

The most left one is initial Omicron, but the system has only been fully online since the dotted line so who knows.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Also the cardiac ward is overflowing with patients. Wonder why that would be. 🤔

it's all these sheeple who got their updated vaccines since sept obviously

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Well, one year after I got covid for the first time I'm in the hospital with a confirmed heart attack. 43 year old 6'1 225lbs non smoker non drinker. Yay

Five times vaccinated.

Jesus, I'm so sorry, that's absolutely horrifying. Hoping you recover quickly and fully.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Laughable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

I thought this was interesting and too short to meaningfully cut down. Most of it isn't news per se, but some of the data is quantifying what is happening.

quote:

Asia, where levels of Covid infection remained low in 2020 and 2021

Archived link: https://archive.li/MKjxQ

Its merely the fastest spreading pathogen in human history.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Five times vaccinated.

Goddamn I'm sorry and I hope you recover fully.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

"NOBODY CARES"
yup

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lpzie posted:

"NOBODY CARES"
yup

What's a little mangled vital organ and dramatically shorter life mean compared to muh freedom

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Speaking of still giving a poo poo, public polling is often a bit confusing compared to the media picture:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/11/17/health/covid-vaccine-holiday-concern-kff-survey/index.html posted:

About three-quarters of Americans do not fear getting Covid-19 this holiday season, KFF survey finds
(..)

The actual survey paints a slightly less "nobody cares" picture, though with some oddities. The supposed 20% having already received the updated vaccine seems to indicate it might be skewed, though naturally it is difficult to assess if this is down to skew, lies or simply not knowing there is a new vaccine out. The highest other estimate I've seen was ~10%.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-cov...latest-vaccine/ posted:

KFF COVID-19 Vaccine Monitor November 2023: With COVID Concerns Lagging, Most People Have Not Gotten Latest Vaccine And Half Say They Are Not Taking Precautions This Holiday Season
(..)

(..)

(..)

(..)

(..)

(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:australia:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/aussie-state-brings-back-covid-mask-mandate-as-tensions-flare-between-experts-231212707.html posted:

Aussie state brings back Covid mask mandate as tensions flare between experts
Western Australia is the first state to bring back rules surrounding face masks.

Mask mandates are back on the table as Australia continues to mull over how necessary face coverings are during a spike in hospitalisations from Covid-19.

Western Australia has announced it will mandate face masks in hospitals from Monday in a bid to protect vulnerable citizens as cases continue to rise. Premier Roger Cook described it as a "simple measure" that will protect the state's most vulnerable.
(..)
Debate rages over need for masks
The debate over whether mask mandates are necessary has been heating up in recent days, with the Australian Medical Association in Queensland saying masks in certain public settings would help the country avoid a "disastrous" Christmas period.

However Dr Nick Coatsworth, the nation's former deputy chief medical officer, has slammed calls for greater mask usage, saying Australia needs to take a "chill pill".

"Covid-19 is now a milder disease because of what we call herd immunity, we have all been exposed to it," he told 2GB.
(..)

I would probably trust the expert that knows what herd immunity actually is :shrug:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

my dog has that dog covid that exists now
hes young though so hes doing fine
sadly cant take him to the park to a while
welcome to it boy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

I would probably trust the expert that knows what herd immunity actually is :shrug:

Its an extremely simple concept.

I can forgive the man on the street for being confused when the waters have been muddied so much with alternative definitions in the past three years or so, but the nation's former deputy chief medical officer absolutely knows how herd immunity was described in medical textbooks of the last century.

He is himself intentionally muddying the waters.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pingui posted:

:australia:

My state said nah and I'm in a bed until Tuesday. No patients have them on lol.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
If you have a heart attack from covid damage, and then get infected with covid at the hospital and die, is that with covid or of covid?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bald Stalin posted:

If you have a heart attack from covid damage, and then get infected with covid at the hospital and die, is that with covid or of covid?

Trick question.

Neither COVID infection is recorded in official documents.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Shoutouts to the guy I saw at walmart today wearing an NRA t-shirt and an Aura, at least you are concerned with some form of safety.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rochallor posted:

Shoutouts to the guy I saw at walmart today wearing an NRA t-shirt and an Aura, at least you are concerned with some form of safety.

The T‐shirt is to confuse predators.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

The Saucer Hovers posted:

my dog has that dog covid that exists now
hes young though so hes doing fine
sadly cant take him to the park to a while
welcome to it boy

Unclear if you mean regular old human COVID making the cross species jump, canine coronavirus from 1971, the new one from 2018, that mystery dog coughing disease or if something new has come up. Either way best of luck to your dog :)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Pingui posted:

that mystery dog coughing disease

lol but that one for the curious

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Five times vaccinated.

:smith: gdi, may you recover quickly and completely

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Saucer Hovers posted:

lol but that one for the curious

Ah that sucks, hope your doggo is okay.

For everyone else, the mystery dog respiratory disease has turned up in at least 10 states across the US. There's been hundreds and hundreds of cases and an unknown number of deaths

quote:

According to Ganzer and the Oregon Department of Health, cases that match the description of the mystery dog illness have been reported, officially or anecdotally, in: Oregon, Colorado, New Hampshire and the surrounding Northeast area, California, Indiana, Illinois, Washington, Idaho, Georgia, Florida
https://www.today.com/health/mystery-dog-illness-2023-rcna125553

It's been circulating since at least August but they still haven't identified it

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Platystemon posted:

The T‐shirt is to confuse predators.

wanna see attenborough narrate footage of walmart people

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Precambrian Video Games posted:

There's a lovely article by the NYT Editorial Board about how school lockdowns made kids stupider and ruined education. Since they don't bother to examine why chronic absenteeism persists today* well after the end of the pandemic (*cough*), let's check the highest-voted comment for more insight:

No solution is suggested for this "problem", either.

Reactionary teachers will always confounded me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
A simple PSA: Coway Airmega 200M filter isn't sealed. There is a 2mm gap between the filter edge and the housing, and no flat contiguous face that the backside edge of the filter butts up against in the filter housing. This matters because air will take the path of least resistance, which is around the filter. Having True HEPA is pointless because this purifier cannot purify to 99.99% in a single pass. The build quality is garbage too.