Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A closer analogy would be if the vatican tore down st peters square for a megahotel

The salafist obsession with unbridled iconoclasm and erasure of history to establish its own primacy is the perfect excuse for saudi real estate business to build over extremely important historical sites.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_early_Islamic_heritage_sites_in_Saudi_Arabia

Rigged Death Trap has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Mar 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

A closer analogy would be if the vatican tore down st peters square for a megahotel

The salafist obsession with unbridled iconoclasm and erasure of history to establish its own primacy is the perfect excuse for saudi real estate business to build over extremely important historical sites.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_early_Islamic_heritage_sites_in_Saudi_Arabia
yeah it's this. The hotel wouldn't be so aggressively ugly and go so far out of its way to overshadow the Kaaba if it were only about the hajjbucks. That fuckin thing is over 1000 feet tall.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
yeah i know but i like to shitpost

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
:capitalism:
https://twitter.com/rotttendotcom/status/1764660216602243316?t=LbVnnT75Skh5rMZuqJHJhg&s=19
Wonder how long it took customers to notice?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That's a lol

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
the "D"s are for "Don't worry it's gluten free"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just knew there'd be hustlegrinders in the replies and yep

https://twitter.com/NicktheBuilder_/status/1764764239569232298

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Would you believe he has a huge curly mustache

https://twitter.com/NicktheBuilder_/status/1762819789435621386

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Milo and POTUS posted:

I told my friend about the jenny trick to get points or rewards at places and he called me a thief lmao

my first boss said if we were less than 80% billable during the day, or filled in a timesheet incorrectly, that was time theft. i was making minimum wage at the time, it owned so hard

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Consolidated Ed posted:

my first boss said if we were less than 80% billable during the day, or filled in a timesheet incorrectly, that was time theft. i was making minimum wage at the time, it owned so hard

time thief sounds pretty badass tbh

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Morbus posted:

time thief sounds pretty badass tbh

You are under arrest for time theft

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

i am harry posted:

I like when I say I don’t have my card and the lady at the register uses hers. she must have so many free gas points

the first boss i mentioned earlier also had a policy about these (perks accumulated thru purchases, like rewards points). they were company property and he demanded that we report/surrender them immediately. ditto if you went to a convention and won something in a drawing or giveaway. "you will be fired and we will call the police!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

im telling you, small business owners are the biggest psychos on the planet

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

BonHair posted:

At the self checkout, the teenagers are always super tired and just click okay as fast as possible. Self Scan has automated random checks, and they also don't give a poo poo, so at best they catch if you accidentally scanned something without bagging it. I'm pretty sure I've accidentally shoplifted because something didn't scan at some point.

I guess in corporate, this means that there should be checks on the teenagers to make sure they aren't phoning it in. Luckily, so far Danish corporate has decided that it's not worth the hassle.

american management would make this a top priority

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

To be fair... posted:

self checkouts are peak neoliberalism

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Dog Case posted:

Our Walmart has the blue light it's on the sign for the parking spot in front (it used to be the closest handicap spot) reserved for the cops

When I worked at home depot everybody hated using self checkout because everything is big and heavy and sucks to scan. They expected the self checkout cashier to help everybody and basically check them out like a regular register, except there were four checkouts and only one attendant so you'd just end up with them helping one customer while the other three were waiting getting mad and waiting for help when they had a problem

Also rats made a nest in one of the machines and ate all the wires and pissed all over everything so that was pretty great

if you work at a small business and point out that something like this is a bad idea, you just get accused of having a bad attitude and/or being lazy

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Biplane posted:

The State Vs. Donkey Kong

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Shame Boy posted:

Also got to point out all the mistakes people made when programming receipt printers because I wrote the entire receipt printer interface, and there's a lot and once you start noticing them you can't loving stop. Nobody knows how to properly center anything!!!!!

pride in workmanship is another contradiction of capitalism. doing a good job on something rarely has anything to do with how profitable -- and therefore how good -- it really is. the only thing that matters is if the transaction clears

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

buying out all of Burger King's hamburgers and selling them for $.50 less than whatever the current Wendy's surge price is just before the speakerbox at wendy's

this is how libertarians think things work

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I just had a guy from the CASHLESS ATM company call my store to ask why our store doesn’t use the cashless ATM, I told him I had a regular ATM and he seemed really depressed about that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How! posted:

I just had a guy from the CASHLESS ATM company call my store to ask why our store doesn’t use the cashless ATM, I told him I had a regular ATM and he seemed really depressed about that

Is that some kind of bitcoin scam, what the hell

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

How! posted:

Homer: I have an ATM I use to get cash out of

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Shame Boy posted:

I just knew there'd be hustlegrinders in the replies and yep

https://twitter.com/NicktheBuilder_/status/1764764239569232298

what the gently caress

who are these people

what

what the gently caress kind of psycho does this

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Sounds like somebody who could have a donut empire right now if they had kept on that grind.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The original got deleted what was it

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Benagain posted:

The original got deleted what was it

Some woman was selling old dunken donuts to a vegan grocery and said they were both vegan and gluten free.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Is that some kind of bitcoin scam, what the hell

We sell weed, so it’s a stupid workaround to let people use their debit cards. Corporate told us to do it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How! posted:

We sell weed, so it’s a stupid workaround to let people use their debit cards. Corporate told us to do it.

Oh that makes more sense, ok.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

How! posted:

i used one of these and for some reason the money got into the system's bank account but not to the dispo's so when i went back i basically had a few hundred dollar credit. i was getting all worried cause they had to call a manager then a bigger manager and then the owner came over but he just shrugged and said it happens sometimes and seemed to barely care so i got two oz free for no reason. it sounded like it was setup like paypal so every debit card is its own peer2peer account and the money got to there but not forwarded to the dispo so the next time i went it just had the couple hundred sitting in the account from the first visit

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What the gently caress is a cashless ATM machine? It's literally an automated teller machine, which lets you withdraw cash. The entire point is the cash. What does it even do?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

BonHair posted:

What the gently caress is a cashless ATM machine? It's literally an automated teller machine, which lets you withdraw cash. The entire point is the cash. What does it even do?

it allows you to use a debit card for transactions that would normally require cash, such as purchasing cannabis, since banks do not gently caress with the weed trade

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
every weed store i've been in just has a normal-rear end atm

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

BonHair posted:

It's sort of like a debit purchase where you put in a pin, the total is rounded up to the nearest 5.00, and you get the difference in cash at the end.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Zamujasa posted:

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

it allows you to use a debit card for transactions that would normally require cash, such as purchasing cannabis, since banks do not gently caress with the weed trade

Banks don't gently caress with the weed trade?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

Right...if you have a debit card and the infrastructure built, why not just do the transaction in cash???

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Feral Integral posted:

It being federally illegal presents a major challenge when it comes to the storage and transfer of money across state lines

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol if you've never been to a store with a cashless atm

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

In Training posted:

Right...if you have a debit card and the infrastructure built, why not just do the transaction in cash???

I think you're thinking of the cashless atm as like a separate machine in the building, like a normal ATM would be, and not something that is basically integrated into the checkout/register. it just adds the ability to pay directly with a debit card rather than getting out cash first.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Feral Integral posted:

Nope! Its still federally scheduled, so it’s hard to get your money deposited if you use a card system.

It’s really dumb, it’s just an ATM loophole machine. It can only charge people in $20 denominations like a real ATM. Say you buy $45 worth of cannabis- it’s going to charge your card $63.50 (3.50 debit fee) and then you would get $15 back in change.

I’ve used it once, on myself, and then put it away forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think you're thinking of the cashless atm as like a separate machine in the building, like a normal ATM would be, and not something that is basically integrated into the checkout/register. it just adds the ability to pay directly with a debit card rather than getting out cash first.

Ah...cheers. I'm not a loser so I don't smoke weed.