Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
QB comes way more alive once you unlock Replacement cards, and before that it feels a little janky. You can reliably beat everything in the first half of the game by assembling a methodical self-buffing team built around cards like Loveless, Titan, Ifrit, and Chocobo & Moogle and essentially allowing that deck to play itself, especially since you're given a lot of other cards early on that buff your other cards. Once you get Replacement cards and some of the cooler legendaries, you can start experimenting with stuff like "how can I destroy my own cards most effectively to set up my finisher" and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly ended up with a Shinra deck built mostly around the Turks/Rufus/Soldiers/Shinra Soldiers/various Shinra monstersetc and it did fine for me. I could have optimized but having a theme deck based around Shinra felt funny enough I stuck with it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Vitamean posted:

Ch 9 Did I gently caress up Cissnei's cooking sidequest? I was told to find a specific type of salt, but I couldn't find two others in the extremely small area they gave me to search. When I went to turn everything in it had two stars, but in that case what was I suppose to do?

The mushroom poo poo though - that was a really cool way to use the adaptive triggers.

Are we playing the same game? The mushrooms didn't use the adaptive triggers at all for me, you tilted the things with the left stick and use the triggers to pull, and there was no feedback except a uniform controller vibration when tilting. Trigger Effect Intensity is set to Strong in the system. Trigger Effect Function is set to 3 in game.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Question about the enemy skill unlocks: when assessing x monsters in region y, does it mean x monsters of different type or can I assess the same one enough times?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

Question about the enemy skill unlocks: when assessing x monsters in region y, does it mean x monsters of different type or can I assess the same one enough times?

Different types.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Taima posted:

Queens Blood doesn't even have to be a game. That's what's cool about it.

You can definitely go big brain and pull off cool combos and stuff, but you can also just box out the AI :shrug:

This is the final match in the queens blood game on the ship. Just do something like 2x shinra solider to box them in and just play super aggressively. You will win. It is not difficult.

Yeah I've found that the general tactic for success so far is

1) restart the game until you get the cards you want to start your hand with

2) Hold fill your slots from left to right so that you're more likely to be able to capture the center column on your turn leaving your opponent with just 2 card slots per row.

Once you capture the middle you've pretty much won the game (at least up until Costa Del Sol).

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Fedule posted:

Are we playing the same game? The mushrooms didn't use the adaptive triggers at all for me, you tilted the things with the left stick and use the triggers to pull, and there was no feedback except a uniform controller vibration when tilting. Trigger Effect Intensity is set to Strong in the system. Trigger Effect Function is set to 3 in game.

If you pulled on the trigger while tilting the stick slightly towards one of the directions you got feedback on the trigger, each with slightly varying degrees of give. So you were suppose to test which one gave the most to the least, then pulled them out in that order.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Vitamean posted:

If you pulled on the trigger while tilting the stick slightly towards one of the directions you got feedback on the trigger, each with slightly varying degrees of give. So you were suppose to test which one gave the most to the least, then pulled them out in that order.

That sounds like it would have been very helpful if it had happened at all. There was no trigger feedback whatsoever when I did this. There is a non zero chance this may be Sony's fault and not a glitch or other Square Enix oversight, because I'm using a Dualsense Edge and currently have the back buttons mapped to the triggers, though I'm not using them in Rebirth, and I haven't changed any dead zone settings or the Edge's own trigger settings.

Fake Edit: I reloaded a save and retried the quest using the default profile and now I have the feedback so this is definitely Sony's fault though I must stress my profile is not using any trigger customisations so what the gently caress.

...was the loving Crunch Minigame supposed to have feedback too? Does it help?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It doesn't really help for the crunches.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Fedule posted:

That sounds like it would have been very helpful if it had happened at all. There was no trigger feedback whatsoever when I did this. There is a non zero chance this may be Sony's fault and not a glitch or other Square Enix oversight, because I'm using a Dualsense Edge and currently have the back buttons mapped to the triggers, though I'm not using them in Rebirth, and I haven't changed any dead zone settings or the Edge's own trigger settings.

Fake Edit: I reloaded a save and retried the quest using the default profile and now I have the feedback so this is definitely Sony's fault though I must stress my profile is not using any trigger customisations so what the gently caress.

Probably the case? I have my Edge back buttons mapped to Left D-Pad and Circle from back when I used it playing Theatrhythm.

Fedule posted:

...was the loving Crunch Minigame supposed to have feedback too? Does it help?

it does use them, and it loving sucks imo. I changed the trigger depth for that one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Thundarr posted:

This is incredibly true. Do the QB tourney, guys.

It's a good thing wheelies just kind of bounce harmlessly off people because otherwise everybody in Costa del Sol would have shattered shins.
Wheelies are such a prime example of this game apparently saying "yes" to every idea.

"Okay, so they're in a coastal resort town, right? I was on vacation recently and I saw a thing where you can rent Segways, can we put that in as a traversal mechanic with its own dedicated control scheme complete with force feedback on the buttons?"
"Don't see why not?"
"And can we track distance traveled with them so that they can have pedometer displays for no good reason?"
"Of course."
"Actually, can we give people prizes for making the pedometer number go up?"
"You didn't even have to ask, get to work on that poo poo."

Pennfalath posted:

You still get the ending scenes of the tournament, even if you forfeit (tested it out in hard mode before reloading and beating everyone).
Which ones? All the matches are great because you get a collection of weirdos in round 1, have to pick a love interest's rear end to kick in round 2, round 3 is a Wall Market reunion, round 4 is against loving Chadley lmao, and round 5 pays off that snotty bitch from the start of the tournament. But if you don't get to see Red XIII dancing like Michael Jackson, what's the goddamn point.

Taima posted:

I'll tell yall one thing

If I'm choosing friends I'm choosing the people who like all the minigames. Cuz you're like me. And we like things

The hardest part of the game so far was leaving behind my seventh infantry homeboys :( qq
Strong agree on both. They'd better be back in part 3!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kin posted:

Yeah I've found that the general tactic for success so far is

1) restart the game until you get the cards you want to start your hand with

2) Hold fill your slots from left to right so that you're more likely to be able to capture the center column on your turn leaving your opponent with just 2 card slots per row.

Once you capture the middle you've pretty much won the game (at least up until Costa Del Sol).

this definitely doesn't hold true with later matches. enemies start actively trying to destroy your cards and using cards that target multiple spaces. if you try to move on the center too soon you can end up giving the enemy a chance to steal it from you while you've boxed yourself in with no way to recover.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Strong agree on both. They'd better be back in part 3!

There is a roughly 100% chance they will be part of the Raid on Midgar sequence in Part 3.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I still need to finish the last QB story battle and some of the minigame challenge fights but yeah generally I kind of ended up with a strategy of developing your side until the opponent commits to the ability to take the middle, then taking the middle yourself, then trying to freeze them out of the spaces that are left. Least potential to get turnabouted

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Queen's Blood is cool because you can quick restart the match if your opening hand is garbage or if your opponent happens to pull some "you just activated my trap card!" poo poo out of nowhere. It would be nice if there were some more cheap cards with forward diagonals though, especially since it seems like NPC opponents get plenty of them.

e: it also helped when I realized the game has a list of pre-built decks that you can select once you have all of the cards involved. Just gonna chill over here, slowly deleting the other guy's cards while Midgardsormr becomes +12 by itself.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 6, 2024

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Between Odin, King Zu, and Rufus, I guess I am at the point where the game expects me to understand how the combat system actually works and not just spam Tifa's triangle moves

(all three of these fights are really kicking my rear end)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ImpAtom posted:

You want to at least do the Protorelic stuff.

Can you spoil why (assuming it's not some really important story thing I don't want spoiled). I just did the first Fort Condor one and I'm not super looking forward to playin that multiple more times

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sockser posted:

Between Odin, King Zu, and Rufus, I guess I am at the point where the game expects me to understand how the combat system actually works and not just spam Tifa's triangle moves

(all three of these fights are really kicking my rear end)

For Rufus the trick is to attack when he's reloading (obviously) and then keep an eye on his animations. When you knock his gun away dodge and continue the combo because he'll counterattack but that will let you keep the combo going. Eventually he'll do a move called desperation and you kind of have to intuit when that comes out but you can dodge it and continue the combo with careful timing. You can basically stun lock the dude.

Macaluso posted:

Can you spoil why (assuming it's not some really important story thing I don't want spoiled). I just did the first Fort Condor one and I'm not super looking forward to playin that multiple more times

The Protorelic questline contains a bunch of fun goofy poo poo, including background stuff, and climaxes in a fight with Gilgamesh which owns bones and gets you him as a summon. It also has a very brief bit of plot stuff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 6, 2024

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Macaluso posted:

Protorelic quests are the C-tier quests, so you get fun character moments (and I think maybe relationship points?) from them

ImpAtom posted:

For Rufus the trick is to attack when he's reloading (obviously) and then keep an eye on his animations. When you knock his gun away dodge and continue the combo because he'll counterattack but that will let you keep the combo going. Eventually he'll do a move called desperation and you kind of have to intuit when that comes out but you can dodge it and continue the combo with careful timing. You can basically stun lock the dude.

Oh yeah I'm definitely tracking on what I'm supposed to be doing, I'm just learning that I'm actually bad at this game and I've been doing combat wrong for the past 75 hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sockser posted:

Protorelic quests are the C-tier quests, so you get fun character moments (and I think maybe relationship points?) from them

Oh yeah I'm definitely tracking on what I'm supposed to be doing, I'm just learning that I'm actually bad at this game and I've been doing combat wrong for the past 75 hours.

I never tried it in this one but in Remake he was also vulnerable to Sleep into Braver for an insta-pressure.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yo, this side quest where you have to get the old lady's chickens to follow you back home sucks rear end lmao

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can't do the level 40 colosseum fight at 32. Can get past the first part but the second fight can't allow for errors. Cloud keeps getting bodied. If you control Aerith you can hide behind shields and laugh your way to a slow and tedious victory if you desired. Will come back to this one later on.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think you need to do the protorelic stuff if you're not feeling it. It is really a lot of work for little benefit until the very very end, and while it is definitely higher effort than the other open world activities I wouldn't say it's transcendant from them.

If you want to maximize fruitful content for time or whatever I would do the sidequests before touching any protorelic

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sockser posted:

Nah that fight is just frustrating hot garbage. Not sure if you've reached phase 2, but hot tip save your limit break for phase 2 to minimize the true agony

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Nah that fight is just frustrating hot garbage. Not sure if you've reached phase 2, but hot tip save your limit break for phase 2 to minimize the true agony

Aw man. I loved that fight.

I really like that if you just button mash and go ham Rufus picks you apart, but if you understand the mechanics then you beat his rear end nine ways from Sunday. The animations are really good so you actually see Cloud bashing his gun aside and him frantically trying to recover and growing more desperate as Corneo's dudes make fun of him in the background, it's immensely satisfying to see Rufus step into the ring with Cloud and get absolutely loving bodied for it and it actually feels earned.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I get what they were going for thematically but mechanically it's garb, and moreover garb the game has not adequately prepared you for, at about the most frustrating point possible to throw such a curveball, at the end of an already obnoxiously overlong sequence of fights (also fun that you get checkpointed at whatever HP you ended the previous boss fight with). You can say that's all brilliantly on purpose but ultimately the game never really does something that assholish before or after.

His scripting and the way the combat system is built is just not that well suited to the gimmick, to me

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

CapnAndy posted:

Which ones? All the matches are great because you get a collection of weirdos in round 1, have to pick a love interest's rear end to kick in round 2, round 3 is a Wall Market reunion, round 4 is against loving Chadley lmao, and round 5 pays off that snotty bitch from the start of the tournament. But if you don't get to see Red XIII dancing like Michael Jackson, what's the goddamn point.

Even if you forfeit the tournament or lose, you get to see the final scene you described here.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

lines posted:

I just beat the ninth QB player and I have some additional questions as to what the gently caress.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm surprisingly decent at Queen's Blood. Which is weird considering I'm hot trash at Triple Triad. I never got into that one outside the basic ruleset in 8. Once they started adding those weird rules I just threw my hands up and stopped.

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)

Fedule posted:

Duelsense Edge stuff.

If you map r2 and l2 to the back buttons it automatically disables all the pressure stuff. It says it on the right side of the screen in the reassigning buttons menu.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pennfalath posted:

Even if you forfeit the tournament or lose, you get to see the final scene you described here.
Oh, well, you should still do it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Won the tournament, this is great, give me more QB forever please.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Beat the game 10/10, GOTY.

Now to go back and do all the side quests I ignored

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Without spoilies how does the post-game work? Do you just load up a chapter and cruise around doing the things you missed or does it reset all the collectathon stuff? Is the whole world open post game for you to go back and clean up?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

I still need to finish the last QB story battle and some of the minigame challenge fights but yeah generally I kind of ended up with a strategy of developing your side until the opponent commits to the ability to take the middle, then taking the middle yourself, then trying to freeze them out of the spaces that are left. Least potential to get turnabouted

This is what I do, but it has an inherent risk to it since you can still get hosed if the opponent has cards that control cells that aren't directly adjacent to them (or some other atypical pattern like "controlling the cells directly above and below the card").

I feel like I should experiment with some of the stuff where you benefit from killing cards (since I have a number of things that can facilitate that), but it would require a radical deck restructure.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
It gives you a chapter select option, so I believe you can go to the point of no return and knock out all the open world stuff and then chapter specific events/hard mode.

It also gives you a handy log to show what you haven’t done/ specific events with characters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JBP posted:

Without spoilies how does the post-game work? Do you just load up a chapter and cruise around doing the things you missed or does it reset all the collectathon stuff? Is the whole world open post game for you to go back and clean up?

You unlock chapter select and you pick the chapter you want to go back to and it'll lock out any characters and locations that haven't be introduced yet by that point. But everything else like items, gear, AP points spent, carry over.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've been in Chapter 9 for over a dozen hours

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ytlaya posted:

This is what I do, but it has an inherent risk to it since you can still get hosed if the opponent has cards that control cells that aren't directly adjacent to them (or some other atypical pattern like "controlling the cells directly above and below the card").

I feel like I should experiment with some of the stuff where you benefit from killing cards (since I have a number of things that can facilitate that), but it would require a radical deck restructure.

There's a tonberry king pre-built deck you can select to give this a go. I tried it out and it works, but I feel better using my weird patterns shiva deck to just lock out the CPU for easy wins

Arist posted:

I've been in Chapter 9 for over a dozen hours

I can't believe how long it is. I actually opened the log to see if I was still in 9 last night. Game is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Was the whole Republic of Junon a thing in the original game cause I always thought it was just supposed to be the main Shinra naval base on the continent or something and a city and population had just kind of grown around it as tends to happen with those things. I definitely don't remember anything about it being a formerly independent Republic that went to war with Shinra and lost like Wutai definitely was in the OG.