Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Shanghaied posted:

WIBTA if i didnt move into a shithole house my bf and his dad want to flip?

Oof. She needs to check this guy's youtube history asap. Methinks the Tate is afoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Could just be the dad. I mean, he's the main one who benefits by this, I wonder if he heard about his son's situation and decided to cash in.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mean I can understand Mr feeling sad about not feeling like he is contributing to the relationship, but this seems a lot like fiscal harm for no reason.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Could just be the dad. I mean, he's the main one who benefits by this, I wonder if he heard about his son's situation and decided to cash in.

Yeah, dad probably put him up to this. I don't think "go pay someone to live in a trash house for a while" is something the manosphere really pushes. At least not when "someone" isn't the person doing the pushing

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

How dumb is the son that this sounds like a good deal? Everything the guy says and does loving reeks of Tatertot alpha male bullshit. He's literally too stupid and angry to understand anything other than he needs to put down this uppity bitch who dares to out earn him.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Halloween Jack posted:

The bully mentor story is still so unsatisfying. We haven't gotten even a hint of a reason as to why mom insisted on mentoring the bully.

I thought it was fairly obvious that the mother let her saviour complex outweigh her responsibilities to her son that she had as a parent.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

haveblue posted:

Yeah, dad probably put him up to this. I don't think "go pay someone to live in a trash house for a while" is something the manosphere really pushes. At least not when "someone" isn't the person doing the pushing

I just get a big whiff of "I'm an alpha male with grindset....how am I not wealthy at 27??! Why isn't my WOMAN making me money??"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Why not both? Doesn't it seem funny this change in behavior coincides with the dad's arrival? Dad could be stoking the 'as the MAN, you need to make money and here's how!' grindset attitude to his benefit

If this guy is in any way a normal dude who wants his dad's approval, that's an easy win for the dad

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 26, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Larry Cum Free posted:

Oof. She needs to check this guy's youtube history asap. Methinks the Tate is afoot.
I don't think andrew tate invented house flipping.

If the genders were reversed people would probably be blaming instagram.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Am I the rear end in a top hat for telling my boyfriend ex wife I won’t babysit her child?

quote:

I was pretty sure I wasn’t the rear end in a top hat, but now I’m a bit confused. My boyfriend (28,M) and I(27, F) have been together for a while now. He has a daughter and I absolutely love her. She is my best little buddy. This is not who the post is about. My boyfriend’s ex wife (27,F) got pregnant with another “mans” (19, M) baby about 2 or 3 months into them getting married. I have nothing against this baby. I’ve never met her and I know her situation is not her fault. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. My boyfriends ex wife does not speak to me ever. She has never said hello and has never tried to meet me until now. She reached out to me and asked if we could watch her daughter for a week. This week, we would also have the daughter that my boyfriend and her share. A little surprised by the request I asked her why as she has never asked us to do this before. She said that it is her and her boyfriend (who is the teenager she had an affair with) want to go on a vacation to celebrate their anniversary. I was a little shocked at the request. I asked her if she had spoken to my boyfriend about it and asked why she bypassed him and went right to asking me. She said she already asked him and he immediately said no. I told her, well, there’s your answer. She was furious. She said I have no reason to have anything against her and my boyfriend should be over it by now. She also called us bitter assholes and said that there is no reason we should take our frustrations out on a child, which I didn’t think we did. I am always willing to take care of my boyfriend’s daughter. I’m not sure why my boyfriend and I should be expected to take care of anyone else’s child. The second child is not my boyfriends. My boyfriend also has never met this child. To me, and him, it seemed like too big of a request. My boyfriends parents say we should do it for the sake of my boyfriends daughter so they can spend more time together. They said we were being too harsh by saying no immediately. I really don’t think we’re in the wrong, but his parents have me second guessing it. AITAH?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Sounds like his parents just volunteered to babysit.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Am I the rear end in a top hat for telling my boyfriend ex wife I won’t babysit her child?
I'm amazed the OP would even feel the need to have reddit confirm how insane this request is

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
OP understands that the only ethical principle you need to worry about is guaranteeing grandparents' access to their grandbabies.

CommissarMega posted:

I thought it was fairly obvious that the mother let her saviour complex outweigh her responsibilities to her son that she had as a parent.
She doesn't seem to have said this or anything else in her defense.

Maybe she just hates her kid. I had an ex who insisted on palling around with the woman who kept harassing me, even though she said she didn't like her.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So she carries stuff around to just drop them at the register and makes the staff put them back?

gently caress this lady. As someone who worked retail hell for years, just gently caress her.

I was waiting for OP to get to that point but it didn't happen. Still wondering if they left the shopping cart with all the random items like that after their fight.

rotinaj posted:

On one hand, a car sitting for a period of time, especially a supercar, is gonna have seals and gaskets and poo poo get crumbly and bad over time depending on how long it is sitting

Yeah, all other rubber in the engine bay is at the same risk as the tires. Some Ferraris have a 5year, 30k mi service interval on their timing belts.
So certainly some things that could risk the wallet if you leave it sitting.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Admiral Joeslop posted:

r/relationships: I have nothing against this baby.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Maroon Hawk posted:

BF is a shithead obviously but what the gently caress is the point of having a nice car that’s “never driven”? I get reserving it for special occasions or Sunday drives or whatever but literally just letting it sit in a garage forever? poo poo, I’m not even a Car Guy and that still seems like a terrible waste lmao

The OP and her family sound like typical weird/paranoid rich people.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Larry Cum Free posted:

r/relationships: I have nothing against this baby.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

well, we pay my dad rent but we'll get all of it that he hasn't squandered on scams and slot machines back when he kicks it

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Maroon Hawk posted:

BF is a shithead obviously but what the gently caress is the point of having a nice car that’s “never driven”? I get reserving it for special occasions or Sunday drives or whatever but literally just letting it sit in a garage forever? poo poo, I’m not even a Car Guy and that still seems like a terrible waste lmao

Car guys are insane

See here where one doctor has a Lambo countach special anniversary edition at 10k miles and a Lambo diablo roadster at like 11k miles, and he wound up selling them to raise money to buy more parts of historcal tanks

https://youtu.be/l9r2hEdrgVg

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Franz posted:

The OP and her family sound like typical weird/paranoid rich people.
Having a car you don't drive is dumb but I don't think the OP asking her boyfriend not to touch her father's stuff which doesn't belong to her is "paranoid".

Why she's going out with an ostensible adult who she apparently can't trust not to reenact ferris bueller's day off is another question though.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shanghaied posted:

WIBTA if i didnt move into a shithole house my bf and his dad want to flip?

Lmao does the BF and his dad even know how to fix a house?

How would this poo poo even work? The OP and the BF aren't married, the house will be in the BF's dad's name. They aren't lending to the dad, but paying him rent, so there's no guarantee that the OP will get a cent out of this, especially if they break up.

But I think the BF might be going through some stuff lol.

jfc, if you can't afford to invest, either make more money or stfu, don't drag other people into your dumb schemes.

You can make money fixing up trashed houses, but you need to know what you are doing and/or have a crew you can call on for the work you can't do. These people sound like the types who watched too much TV and went "It looks so easy! Just a little paint, some cheap cabinets, and we double our money!"

It's a lot of hard, dirty work.

e: And don't forget having cash reserves on hand for anything major. Anything involving excavating, sewer/septic work, or concrete can easily run into the tens of thousands of dollars.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 26, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The_Franz posted:

You can make money fixing up trashed houses, but you need to know what you are doing and/or have a crew you can call on for the work you can't do. These people sound like the types who watched too much TV and went "It looks so easy! Just a little paint, some cheap cabinets, and we double our money!"

It's a lot of hard, dirty work.

Nah, just pull it up on YouTube and go to the home Depot and just follow the video. Any body can do it. I am very smart.

Ever seen the movie Mouse Trap? Nathan Lane and the dumb brother from O Brother Where Art Thou. They fully restore a mansion in like an afternoon.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If the family really had the skills to fix up a house I still don't see why they wouldn't just live in the fixed up house. Instead the plan is that they are going to move out of the rental into the run down house to fix it up, and then flip it, and then what? Buy another house to flip?

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Ever seen the movie Mouse Trap? Nathan Lane and the dumb brother from O Brother Where Art Thou. They fully restore a mansion in like an afternoon.

Mouse hunt is a great guide to how to renovate a house after accendentally launching your father's corpse into a sewer and losing your restaurant when the Mayor fatally chokes to death on a cockroach.

It is an unusual children's comedy though.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

FMguru posted:

What happens when the Spirit of Pete crosses over with the Ghost of Columbo

AITAH, For immediately dumping my gf because she lied

Good firm spine, OP. Some excellent detective work in there, too. I especially liked the comically weak story the now-ex eventually settled on to try to sell to the OP (got a motel room to smoke weed in? that's the best she could come up with?)

as soon as she said they got a motel to smoke in i knew she was lying they charge like 100$ more for a smoking room and if you get caught smoking in a non smoking room they throw a 200 fine at your rear end. noones dropping 175 bucks to smoke weed in a motel when you can go smoke in your own home

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Oh, it's absolutely the dad. Filled his head up with bullshit about how she won't respect him if he earns less and such.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for "hazel blocking" my coworker?

We are in the same building, but he has a window and his car does not have rust.

What the gently caress does this mean?! I’m still thinking about this pages later. Is this some kind of code to activate a sleeper agent or something?

Halloween Jack posted:

The bully mentor story is still so unsatisfying. We haven't gotten even a hint of a reason as to why mom insisted on mentoring the bully.

Presumably she has the same kind of savior complex as the teacher who made a bunch of posts here about how they have a sacred duty to uphold their oath to their students, but their own kids don’t count. Her boss had to get involved in order for her to actually do anything differently.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

mystes posted:

If the family really had the skills to fix up a house I still don't see why they wouldn't just live in the fixed up house. Instead the plan is that they are going to move out of the rental into the run down house to fix it up, and then flip it, and then what? Buy another house to flip?

Yeah that is the plan, but it is totally unrealistic. You *can* actually make money that way if you a) choose your purchases carefully, b) budget appropriately, and c) have the skills and time to put in hours and hours of hard labor. Doesn't sound like this OP's boyfriend and his dad have any of the above.

E:

wizardofloneliness posted:

What the gently caress does this mean?! I’m still thinking about this pages later. Is this some kind of code to activate a sleeper agent or something?

I took this to be code for "he is more wealthy and privileged than I am." Implying that his office is better and he has a newer car.

wheatpuppy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 26, 2024

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Offices with windows are usually higher prestige, so OP probably means the other guy is higher up in the company than them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's how I took it too. Regardless of the OP, I'm automatically against anyone who makes hazelnut coffee in the cumulative pot. I can't imagine that going over well at any place I've worked, that's like the most controversial coffee flavor, and it's so pervasive even if it doesn't give you migraines or anything.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

"We are in the same building, but he has a window and his car does not have rust."

I interpreted that to mean "We work in the same building, but he (or his department) is important enough to have a window in his office while I don't, and he drives much nicer car than me". It's irrelevant to the story, but I think she's just saying he's higher ranked and paid than her even though he's younger, just in a weird way.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

OP understands that the only ethical principle you need to worry about is guaranteeing grandparents' access to their grandbabies.

Maybe she just hates her kid. I had an ex who insisted on palling around with the woman who kept harassing me, even though she said she didn't like her.

I mean, I had a mom who would put every single kid in school before me. My experience says savior complex is just as likely. :v:

(she got better after a bit of a shock. It was just like she could not understand that I needed help that her perfect school experience wasn't giving me and was actively harming me.)

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
AITA for expecting a 24 year old to prioritize her health irrespective of what others say?

quote:

My (26) girlfriend (24) has this disease, sort of. She has low fat because her body can not store fat, low blood pressure, low glucose and even in warm temperatures she is cold. Her mother and grandma has the same illness. She is not bedridden or anything. As long as she keeps warm and eats about 5 to 6 times a day, she is fine. She weighs 120 pounds so obviously the eating is not a problem. She can finish a full 3 course meal and her tommy will still be as flat as before. You will not even know she is ill by just looking at her. She is beautiful, smart and lives a full life.

This is the problem. My older brother got married last sunday but due to low budget, everyone was suppose to chip in and play a part in the wedding. She didn't even want to attend but my brother needed someone to mind the bar. Since she does not drink because alcohol is literally toxic to her health, we trusted her with that job. She reluctantly agreed to do it for me.

We left for the ceremony early but we got separated because my brother asked her to set up the bar. Since I was family, I had to stay for the ceremony. After the ceremony we went to the reception. I must admit things dragged a little.

After the cake was cut, she approached me and told me she never got the chance to eat and currently dizzy and going into hypoglycemic shock and needs to snack. I told her to have a cake. I had to attend to something else and I assumed she had the cake.

She collapsed at the party, we had to get an ambulance and the party had to end. Everything was a mess. I was told she went for a cake but met my mom who scolded her for picking up sugar rather than actual cake and also for leaving her post. Mom hates sugar and always scolds everyone for eating too much sugar. She left the cake and collapsed on her way back to the bar.

Now my family is upset with me because my girlfriend ruin the party. She knows her condition, I expect that her wellbeing should be more important than any scolding my mom gave her. Her family is upset with me because they said I used her and did not feed her.

She is currently still in the hospital because I am told her glucose keep dropping. She keeps going in and out of consciousness. She is not diabetic. Everyone is upset with me.

I am upset with my girlfriend. She knows her condition. AITA for expecting a 24 year old to prioritize her health irrespective of what others say?

OP and his whole lovely family need to be cooked alive in a vat of boiling sugar. Imagine being hounded to work for free at a wedding that you didn't want to go to in the first place, not even allowed to attend the ceremony, getting no help from your lovely BF, being scolded for abandoning your "post" and being unhealthy when you tried to get some food, and collapsing and becoming hospitalised for severe hypoglycaemic shock, and on top of this being loving blamed for your own loving hospitalisation - "why doesn't she just ignore our constant browbeating????" It's not like confusion is a common symptom of hypoglycaemia or anything. Jfc.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

AITA for expecting a 24 year old to prioritize her health irrespective of what others say?

OP and his whole lovely family need to be cooked alive in a vat of boiling sugar. Imagine being hounded to work for free at a wedding that you didn't want to go to in the first place, not even allowed to attend the ceremony, getting no help from your lovely BF, being scolded for abandoning your "post" and being unhealthy when you tried to get some food, and collapsing and becoming hospitalised for severe hypoglycaemic shock, and on top of this being loving blamed for your own loving hospitalisation - "why doesn't she just ignore our constant browbeating????" It's not like confusion is a common symptom of hypoglycaemia or anything. Jfc.
I hope she can find someone better than the OP who actually cares about her well-being

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Shanghaied posted:

I like the little addition of "she's not diabetic" like yeah that's the one detail that's definitely going to entirely absolve the OP of responsibility.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah. Plenty of parents don't like their kids. The mom in this story showed that she doesn't through her actions and responses

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Scolding someone for eating cake at a loving wedding :psyduck:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

quote:

She weighs 120 pounds so obviously the eating is not a problem.

:thunk:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
CAKE OR DEATH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for refusing to eat my sister in law’s “home grown, home cooked meal” after the invited me over?

quote:

Last night my brother invited me over for dinner. It was a really nice gesture so I accepted. I was not aware that my sister in law had taken up gardening, canning and raising chickens. She could not stop bragging that 90% of everything that was one the table she had grown in their back yard. She’s a great cook but and had the food been brought from the store I would have eaten but this was disgusting. There were no inspections done on this food; before, during and after it was was grown. There was no FDA to check out she cooled and it picked it. I flat out told her that I was not going to eat it. She asked why. I said basically because of what I said above. She asked what I would like instead and I said that maybe I should just go and I left.

My brother called me and he’s so furious with me. He says I’ve always been rude to her and this took the cake especially since she offered to make me something else. I told him that we have government inspectors for a reason when it comes to our food and it’s so back yard nut jobs don’t cause another pandemic. He asked if I was seriously calling his wife a “nut job” I said I didn’t mean her but he’s being obtuse if he doesn’t get my point. He called me a “f@t piece of poo poo” and told me not to come around for a while.

AITA?
Love the confluence of 6 foot party sub guy and distrust off anything natural.