Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

i believe so yeah

here's the full card courtesy of purolove

-. Atsushi Maruyama, Yutaka Yoshie, Naoshi Sano, Keiichi Sato & Carbell Ito vs. Masakado, Ishikiri, Revlon, Takashi Daimonji & FG Mask
-. Masanobu Fuchi, Yohei Nakajima & TAJIRI vs. Osamu Nishimura, Ultimo Dragon & Kotaro Suzuki
-. Koji Iwamoto vs. Josh Bodom
-. The Road to 2018 Champion Carnival Special Tag Match: KAI & Naoya Nomura vs. Yoshitatsu & Yuji Hino
-. AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Atsushi Aoki (c) vs. Shuji Kondo
-. All Asia Tag Team Title: Jun Akiyama & Yuji Nagata (c) vs. Takao Omori & Manabu Nakanishi
-. Special Six Man Tag Match: Suwama, Hikaru Sato & Yusuke Okada vs. Kazuyuki Fujita, Kendo Kashin & NOSAWA Rongai
-. AJPW World Tag Team Title: Zeus & The Bodyguard (c) vs. Ryouji Sai & Dylan James
-. Triple Crown: Joe Doering (c) vs. Kento Miyahara

what a wild assortment of matches. really looking forward to it shame it isnt being broadcast live. i'm especially curious what Ryoji Sai does for them that's so valuable that they book all his trainees and let him bring back the All Asia Heavyweight title to give to himself.

It's so weird to watch stuff in that venue with the massive skyscrapers through the window. Worth checking out on top of the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I just watch a few hyped matches from NOAH, AJPW and death matches. I think I watched a little Zero One out of morbid curiosity before Real Hero went down. There's some much free lucha available that it's just not worth it to pay for the smaller puro groups on top of New Japan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's a Japanese flag I'm pretty sure it is going to connect with what the company will be doing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

so is the new mat gonna be all red with a white circle set into it?

I was hoping they do that to throw off everyone who thinks it is going to be a white mat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

abraham linksys posted:

poo poo, if new japan announced that far in advance and i could see one of their shows too (even korakuen), i'd be looking at november flights

Power Struggle is most likely that weekend or the next.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

the escape goat posted:

I'm going to Tokyo from May 9-14 and am looking to go to a wrestling show, any show, really. I've been trying to navigate the various websites and looking for dates and it's been kind of a nightmare; does anyone have any tips or leads to shows that are happening in that timeframe? Thank you so much!

The first night of the Best of the Super Juniors is te 13th in Miyagi if you want to do some traveling. Otherwise NJPW is off in that period.

Otherwise this might help you: https://en.puwota.com/index.cgi

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He worked in a dangerous business and I remember reading at one point that he knew he shouldn't still be wrestling, but when Kobashi had to retire they lacked draws after a few failed attempts at making stars, and Misawa was pretty beloved.

The whole story of Baba Dies>AJPW falls apart>NOAH starts>NOAH falls apart after a prosperous start because of Kobashi's body breaking down and Misawa dying is pretty sad.

Specifically he was a big deal to the businessmen who paid for the spot shows in the countryside.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rodney the Piper posted:

Does anyone have a good resource for recommended non-NJPW puro/joshi matches?

Ditch's archive for older stuff. http://theditch.us/chron.html

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

takeshita will be the best wrestler in the world in ~2-3 years.

It's not unlikely the Barbarian Caveman's body falls apart in 3 years but Dragon Lee will still be going strong.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Dave is just going off of the rumor that’s going around and didn’t reach out at all to OWE. Things aren’t looking great for them, but the full story that’s going to come out isn’t just “the company is done and rebooting in Cambodia.@

This would be one hell of a scoop because the reports have been out for weeks and we have people leaking that conditions in Cambodia are horrible. They are pretty clearly done in China and all of the ideas to expand are bombing. Which is a shame, and a sign that no one is ever going to break into China.

CIMA being anti-American is silly though it's clearly not true.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's nice that Dragon Gate enforces the "No Old Wrestling" law.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

dave basically prints whatever people sends him for japanese wrestling outside of njpw nowadays. i've lost count on the number of dg corrections i've sent him over the years.

Dave goes to Fumi on most Japanese stories but guess which major company Fumi cares the least about?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

hunnert car pileup posted:

Grand Sword is pretty much the GOAT of puro themes, but his GHC champ theme "Blazin" is also incredible.

Chono has some awesome themes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEI2vAKxIks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG1PtHprvrE

Tenzan's is p catchy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E67m80dbzc

Kendo Kashin loving sucked but damned if his theme didn't slap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU7UCkLrF5E

Blazin is better than Grand Sword.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's so cool that twice HHH has tried to buy Japanese companies and both just turned around and sold to a bigger Japanese company instead.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://twitter.com/puffinbrain/status/1234322305649496064?s=19

Jun Akiyama to meet with Triple H ostensibly for a guest coaching spot in the Performance Center but Yahoo Japan speculates that it is actually the beginning of a "Third Power" in the Japanese wrestling scene to compete with Bushiroad and CyberAgent.

All Japan sadly looked like they were in trouble before corona so this isn't unexpected :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

What was it that changed during the Monday Night Wars that stopped WCW and WWE from working partnerships with foreign companies in the first place? Hubris? Looking at some of the WCW and WWE Cruiserweight/Light-Heavyweight titles and they were defended regularly and had title changes in Japan and Mexico

At this point WWE would rather try and kill out all competitors or indie promotions by starting their own overseas than working with anyone else.

The WWF retook #1 and didn't want to work with anyone anymore. The WWF titles that were defended in Japan and Mexico were kind of a remnant of a previous time more than the WWF actively working with companies. They did work with foreign companies when they were losing, but it was rare for them to do so post Hulkamania. WCW hosed over their partners and no one wanted to work with them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

Tbh she was kinda right about a few things, since NOAH kinda had trouble building up new stars for a while. Akiyama's first GHC title run wasn't that successful, KENTA/Marufuji is still one of the worst drawing Budokan main events in history (only earning iirc 7000 paid), and in their early years they generally relied on the Four Pillars to draw good gates, which tragically lead to Misawa's death in the ring. AJPW didn't need to expand too quickly to stay financially viable, as proven with NOAH.

That said, I really don't think it was reasonable to deny her talent higher wages and better medical benefits, especially since the style was so physically demanding, and Motoko really should have acquiesced to them on that regard for their long-term success. Additionally, AJPW's executive board really shouldn't have fired Misawa as president, because that kinda sealed the deal.

NOAH became the #1 promotion in Japan. Both promotions ended up in the same place, but NOAH had an incredibly successful run for half a decade while All Japan had a really good couple of years propped up by New Japan and then went into decline. After NOAH got over some early injuries they were able to take advantage of the weakness of New Japan to really take over Tokyo.

And the shake up was very badly needed. All Japan was very stale in 98 and got a needed jolt with Vader in 99, but that wasn't going to last forever.

It also wasn't just expanding, Baba had been good cop to his wife's bad cop, and much of the roster hated her because of it. It wasn't a relationship that was going to work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bushiroad NOAH wasn't good but Simon Inoki cannot under any circumstances be allowed to run All Japan. Anything is better.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Talking of Low Ki vs Japanese dudes, his match against KENTA at Final Battle 2005 is something I need to rewatch. It ripped at the time & on my ROH rewatch I have to say that Low Ki holds up and whenever he's not burnt his bridges with Gabe it rules. The angle where he returned to save Joe from The Rottweilers to stop them disrespecting the belt & the company only to swerve & spit on the belt & beat the gently caress out of Joe with Homicide, Smokes & The Havana Pitbulls sounds corny but really, really was electric.

I wish his match with AJ Styles from Zero One were easier to find online. Early 2000s Low Ki was incredible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

nongdongfongbong posted:

Wow that's big news considering he was bedridden for the last couple of years. Really hope he regains enough mobility to lead a relatively normal life.

He had to paint with his teeth! This is seriously great news, maybe the first 100% happy story I've read in weeks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1287674285369298946?s=20

Kick boys clash for the the GHC National title, it will slap.

The last time I saw Nakajima he still had a freaking head!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

J-Ro posted:

looks like something a late 80s / early 90s action cartoon left on the hood of your car, I love it

I was going to say it was just in time for the Snyder Cut but this is more accurate.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

just rust posted:

DDT is the only good Sports Entertainment show.

I know it's cool to say New Japan is bad now but it is still a good show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

I mean, it's 2AW. As much as I enjoy 2AW, it's very indie. They gain more with Yoshida getting eyes on on him in the Carnival. I dunno, just a bit of a daft concern to me.

At this point AJPW is barely above an indie.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

How many new people got into NOAH because they heard that Go was having this awesome reign, only for them to put the belt on dinosaur-rear end Mutoh and immediately kill that person's interest?

*raises hand*

Seems like you should have done some research into this NOAH promotion if you didn't want to watch a company with a history of old broken down guys hanging around on top.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

I watched a lot of 2000s IWA:MS and he wasn't pushing himself too hard. Scumbag and often delusional but he also knew that the guys he flew in were way more talented, and that fans cared about seeing them more than him. ZANDIG would be much closer...

Zandig is an actual top star though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You also have Hideki Suzuki being stingy about jobs and I'm not sure it'd be a good idea for them to try to shoot on him either!

But it would be entertaining so NOAH should do it.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 29, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Even though I vastly prefer Nakajima to Kenoh, Nakajima isn't a great talker and hasn't really done well when given the ball but Kenoh is like insanely charismatic and did like almost 6k in his main event with Kaito at Sumo Hall so he should be a top guy

Also Nakajima isn't old but he's been around forever as not a top guy so when you dick around with his push it hurts twice as much because it reinforces he's not a big star.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Also known as the Goto-effect

Nakajima might have a few months of experience on Goto too!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mark Pickle Rick being right about something for once would be even bigger than Raj being right about Sasha.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Man, the guy running All Japan seems like a loving moron. The company is hotter than it has been since I dunno, a decade? When did the guys who jumped from NOAH jump back? 2015? Man, it is hilarious in hindsight that Kanemaru came back just in time turn on NOAH & join Suzukigun and then follow them to New Japan.

I think this is a bogus report. Monthly Puroresu has a pretty terrible record and this was “I want to believe it because it’s funny” but doesn’t really make sense. We shall see!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IceAgeComing posted:

Monthly Puroresu's big scoop was Okada to NXT which isn't happening and this report is a total backtrack on a previous report where they were talking about Nakajima going to NXT and WWE wrestlers in the Carnival. I believe the WON report was 'nothing official happening; things might change' and that appears to have been the other reports on this: only Monthly Puroresu were going down this route which to me suggests they've been fed some duff info.

Thom Fain (the owner of the thing) moved to Japan recently to try and get sources; so it might be him reporting on bullshit rumours he's heard or having some duff source and not doing due diligence - I'm certainly not trusting him.

I have heard an incredibly funny name as a potential MP source a couple of times now but I'm not sure if they think they are talking to someone who they aren't (like Meltzer was) or they are talking to the person and he's feeding them bad info. Hopefully this gets proven false and someone gives some details on who it is because I don't want to put it into the world and be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

yea ok posted:

isn't it just simon inoki?

Yes, I assume they are actually talking to him but I'm not sure because every time I get this intense nostalgia rush when I see "Simon Inoki" and kind of forget what I'm doing.