Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Took my Royal Alloy 150 on a quick scoot out to Sauvie Island yesterday and caught a double rainbow.

Getting my finances in order to get an ADV bike maybe next year for longer trips but hot drat was this a perfect ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

helno posted:

Any bike can be an adventure Ike if you try hard enough.

I didn’t say I wouldn’t practice in the mean time.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I am so sad Burgmans are so hard to get (and that it’s only going to get worse). They’re so big and dumb and perfect.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I felt this way more than once riding my first 50cc scooter around Portland a few years ago.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I don’t think I could make something this tacky if I tried. And that’s not me saying I’m not capable of making something really tacky.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

You have single-handedly gotten me interested in the Dakar races. Thank you.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Strife posted:

Nonsense, what's the point of getting married if you don't constantly annoy the poo poo out of your spouse with your niche hobbies?

I managed a rousing “okay, the trucks are pretty cool” and an astounding “the landscapes are pretty.”

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

If money was no object, I would go buy one of those right loving now. I love my Lambretta clone but goddamn.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

What does the little orange plastic not-a-windshield do?

look dope

There's also a high windshield option for probably $500 or something.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I worked on a Tomos trike with an ice cream vendor freezer on the back, it topped out at about 12

I feel like there’s something wrong with me for loving the idea of this so goddamn much.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I bought a Harley despite the crowd, not because of it. I love my bike but am also ashamed of it. “I swear I’m a Harley guy, not a Harley Guy!”

I never want to get complacent, but I read things like this and watch crash videos and am just like “I will never do any of these things.”

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

My partner has been going hard on film photography these last few years to the point of developing her own black and white photos and being on a first name basis with everyone at the local camera shop. I’ve really been enjoying things you share here with her.

You seem to share a love of capturing texture that just isn’t conducive to digital photography.

Good poo poo.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I was looking at used Bonnevilles and yeah … not limited to Harley people. There’s just more Harleys in the US, so the majority of us see them more often.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Strife posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpCsETGJgxg

Pretty rad lil scoot, brought to you by a British man in a shed.

This is so loving cool.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Maybe too real, but my sister-in-law’s car was hit by some kids in a stolen car that the cops had chased across at least two counties. Broke her sternum. Totaled the car.

This was a few weeks after my Dad had gotten out of the rehab where they got him back on his feet after being hit by a car as a pedestrian.

It’s been a bad year for my family and cars.

When my brother called to tell me about it, I failed to keep from pointing out that maybe the cops shouldn’t have been chasing literal children across multiple counties and that he should be suing them instead of the kids.

He didn’t entirely disagree, which means I’m making progress with him.

poo poo like this is why cops should not be allowed to chase vehicles. A stolen car is not a big deal compared to the kind of accident my sister-in-law had or what’s in that video. Just get the car later. God knows they’ve got enough cameras and planes and poo poo that they’re usually just bothering people with. Use them for these situations and stop causing more accidents.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Strife posted:

Hitting 69 kph as the odometer ticks 42069 when it's 69° is an incredible accomplishment and you should be proud of your success.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Last year was my first time following Dakar, thanks to your posts. I’m really stoked to watch it with a better understanding of what’s going on this year.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

God, the bikes are so photogenic.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

We’re all sitting here as a family catching up on NBC’s highlights and planning to go see some motocross. You’re doing the lord’s work, builds character.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The season of us talking about watching Dakar and Dabike and Datruck has ended.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

they took that monkey and gave it anxiety

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Ah, yes. The Grom Touring Package.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

God, that was satisfying. Move that fat rear end hell yeah.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

It’s part of why the Sportster is the only Harley I really like. Well, I like the Pan America too, but does that even count?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I'm not gate-keeping the Pan America. It's just such a completely different bike from all the Dynas and Softails and ____ Glide bikes that I think it's reasonable for folks to only like the Pan Am.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The Sportster S and Nightster are still there. The S being the sporty roots of the line and the Nightster being a peppier bike that can be customized to hell and back.

If I found the Nightster just a little more comfortable, I might not be switching brands for my next bike. But they really only make 900 pound and up bikes for tall people.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

loving dope. This might sound odd, but I'm really into how it captured the color and texture of the dry grass. It creates a great contrast with the bikes themselves.

My partner does film photography and at least 1/3 of the reason I'm excited about her getting into motorcycling is how much she's going to enjoy taking pictures like this in a couple years when the hooks are in.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The guys in the service department appreciated my Psychomania t-shirt, which seemed appropriate for the occasion.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

Thaaaat's what it looks like before it's outdoors for more than a week.

My other tab was already me looking at cleaning/protection for aaaaall that chrome.

I plan on riding the tires off it, but it will definitely sleep in the garage at night.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

That car stopped out of nowhere. There was nothing I could do. You’ve gotta ride like you’re invisible. Loud pipes save lives. You don’t need gear if you never crash. Next time I’ll be ready and I’ll lay her down.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Had to go for a ride even though it’s around 50 degrees. Look how pretty.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I’m just imagining the owner coming into the bicycle shop our partner ran and him sending them to the scooter shop, who would try to send him to the bicycle shop.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

E-bikes are apparently blowing up in popularity among the more lenient Amish folks my Dad spends most of his time hanging out with.

They still need them to look and work like bicycles, from what he’s told me. They charge them in their barns, which are allowed to have electricity because of the animals and work they need to do.

First time he saw it, it was a woman booking it uphill so fast he thought she was superhuman until he saw the battery pack. Now he says there are roving bands of Amish children at auctions riding them around and terrorizing their elders.

So they’re clearly not all bad.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I missed 69 and 420 and 1234, but I got the Star Trek number.

Took a quick ride to Vernonia after work, taking a different route there than I did back. Took a lot of the turns a good 10mph than I did the last time I rode there.

I can feel my improvements, but I’m still just a novice.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

drat Geekboy, you put 1700 miles on it already?

Here I thought 3k miles on my VStrom since October was good. Tbf, I've been only commuting and not much else

I did about 5K on the Roadster last year and it wasn’t nearly as comfortable. I intend to run the wheels off this thing.

Not having to commute means most of my trips are for fun, so I am usually out for at least a few hours.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Almost 300 miles on the Bonneville today.

Still in the honeymoon phase more than 2000 miles in.

Bonus goon Z900RS and stranger’s bike.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

McLellan Overlook. Really fun roads up there, though there are some rough patches where things have fallen apart and been sloppily patched or are currently falling apart and full of pot holes. Washington is good about putting “motorcycles use extreme caution” signs up around stuff like that, thankfully.

Just be aware that they really do mean it when you see them and slow down a bit and you’ll be fine.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

That was so much better than if it had actually landed it

Best possible outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I don’t think I could ever get good enough to just be fine with the back wheel coming off the ground in a corner.