Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
welp,

Click here for the full 743x933 image.

Updates sure are comin' along fast these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
:eng101: if the dragon has a horde, it has more than enough minions!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
One of his otherwise-bland characters has Ye Tragicke Backstorye involving rape, because she's a woman and that's the only way to make them interesting (am I right fellas) and during the voting for said webcomic popularity contest, the most recent strip during the last round of voting was that character having a traumatic flashback about her rapist.

So people clicked on the link and got a faceful of man-on-(snake)woman violence without any prior warning, which made someone complain that it was a) kind of triggery; and b) why so much rape and violence anyway?

If there's one thing that nerds hate, it's something they love/enjoy/care about/vaguely know of being besmirched by Some Goddamn Female, and before you could say "men's rights activist" the shitlordery was in full swing. Hunt made a big blog post about it on the webcomic site, saying that this woman was crazy because the latest comic had nothing to do with rape! Which was true, since it had updated since her initial post, but never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

He went on to say that she shouldn't be blamed for lying about his webcomic (or something along those line, at any rate), and here was her email address so all his fans could very pointedly not harass her. Which was either blithering stupidity or uncharacteristic subtlety, neither of which boded well for the poor woman.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Way back when in the history of the Internet, someone photoshopped and colourised a picture of Hitler and put it up on HotOrNot.com to see how people would rate history's greatest monster.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 19, 2016

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Between Goblins and Drow Tales, are there any webcomics focusing on D&D monsters that aren't terrible?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It's weird how the goblins in Order of the Stick manage to be far more likeable and sympathetic, despite being overtly evil, than the goblins from Goblins, who are currently learning that child murder is actually an objectively good act.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Rygar201 posted:

Also, someone is going to have to explain the current Goblins child murder thing now.

So the yellow lumpy turd goblin became a paladin and managed to get his grubby little goblin mitts on a magical axe, within which was imprisoned a lovely demon for being a piece of poo poo. This axe needed to be wielded by a paladin brave and true to counteract the evil poo poo that demons wanna do. I'm skimming over eighteen paragraphs of info dump here, them's the cliff notes.

Meanwhile, there's this other paladin in the story, called KORE, who is a one-dwarf murder machine out to eradicate evil as a concept. Except he does this by assuming anyone and anything that comes into contact with evil must be burned to the ground, including children. How he manages to retain his paladin powers while literally murdering children has been a crock of poo poo big spooky mystery in the webcomic.

Just recently the demon-imprisoning axe broke due to the DM being a piece of poo poo, so now the demon is trying to escape, and one of the lesser demons that was trapped in the axe ("like the fleas on the back of a dog" apparently) pops up to tell everyone that Kore created the axe and is still a paladin because, hey, murdering children is only evil if you're closed-minded enough to assume that everyone who doesn't share your viewpoint is evil.

And this is what I get for following the webcomics thread :sigh:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Oh my, yes. Badly paced, too.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

sebmojo posted:

i remember reading someone whose brain was just broken by the idea that V didn't win when he took on Zyklon. 'but how could he be the most powerful... if he didn't winnnnn'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TCX90yALsI

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Rygar201 posted:

Have you defended your trees against SONIC!

Nope.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Cool we needed more racial slurs and bigotry in this thread I'm sure.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Android Blues posted:

Minrah was honestly extremely brave, because there's little more overwhelming than trying to participate in a fight with high level D&D characters when you're a low level scrub. None of your stuff works and you die in one attack. Meanwhile everyone around you is summoning forcefields and transforming into elementals and suchlike.

Well, except for the fighter.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Hey. And I meant in a general "D&D 3.x/5e hates the fighter and by extension everyone who ever plays a fighter willingly" kind of way. Roy clearly has the benefit of being a protagonist in a story, rather than a glorified pack mule.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Rich has been pretty explicit that the Dark One doesn't know the full story, and there is still no reason to believe that he's the first ascended mortal to try to gently caress with the original gods using the rifts.

See planetary gravestones #127 through #34,287 for more details.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I guess Finn's stepdad was kind of a jerk someone's but seemed fairly nice

I'm way behind on Adventure Time, evidently.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Dias posted:

Aren't those supposed to stick?

They're all sticks, that's the gimmick.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

PMush Perfect posted:

Don't give Rob ideas.

At this point someone has to.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Cuntellectual posted:

I always found it weird, having not played DnD until after stuff like WoW, that Fighters couldn't throw their weapons so hard that the victim burst into gibs and damaged other people or something.

Fourth edition fighters had a lot of amazing builds, especially once the Martial Power supplement dropped. Playing a brawler fighter was absolutely amazing, you could grab someone with a single action and then use them as a shield, or a weapon. Throw 'em across the room? Sure, why not.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
In the list of problems with Goblins (and Thunt), the drawing doesn't even make the top three. Unless you count "holy poo poo why is there so much unnecessary body horror" as coming under the umbrella of "drawing", but I'd say it's more to do with awful narrative (the number one problem Goblins has).

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Clarste posted:

I don't know anything about Goblins or its author, but from what I've heard from other transgender writers, body horror and transhumanism are both pretty common as ways to express/cope with the general feeling of being uncomfortable in your own body at all times.

Goblins, as a comic, is like watching the world's worst, most grognardy DM try and simultaneously run three separate groups of players through the same half-assed homebrewed D&D campaign. While everyone's on meth, both in-character and out.

It also has some incredibly bad takes on what makes a "good" or "bad" paladin, compared to OotS's stellar examples.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Patrick Spens posted:

But you get that you could stop reading it right? I agree with your complaints about Goblins, which is why I stopped reading it after I checked it out a decade ago. Why do some many people give this comic space in their head if they don't like it?

I don't read it :confused:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Who What Now posted:

To kill Elminster just kick him in the nards. He has no nard based defenses.

You fool, he has no nard based defenses because he has no nards.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Show me where in the rules it is written that Elminster has nards :colbert:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Five :colbert:

edit:

trucutru posted:

They read goblins. There is no cure

gently caress you, this made me go check Goblins and it's loving worse than ever.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 16, 2019

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Sanford posted:

I used to read Goblins out of morbid curiosity, and I just caught up with the last twenty or so strips.

What the gently caress is going on? Overall story or page by page action, I can't make head nor tail of it. What a truly awful comic.

Abridged version: the main group of lumpy goblins has been fleeing from this evil Terminator paladin, and ran into a "dungeon crawl" for safety. They've been using the shittily-designed traps and gimmick puzzles to try and defeat this unstoppable plot device. Now, for seemingly no reason at all, said evil paladin has basically revealed to the goblins that he steals the souls of everyone he kills, and can use their alignments instead of his own. Which means the only reason he hasn't fallen as a paladin for the various evil acts he does on a daily basis is because he can somehow fool the god he serves by holding up a decoy lawful good soul. Like Belkar's lead plate joke but played serious and also way dumber.

If you're asking "how the gently caress does any of that work" then you've probably put more thought into it than the author.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ikanreed posted:

:thejoke:

DM'd for someone who wanted their character to be a barlnorn. Missed the opportunity to pull a "no you're just a lich now, the recipe you found was a fabrication planted by another lich to control the souls of other wizards, you're effectively dead roll up a new character".

Instead I just said "no you can't do that"

Neither of these is good DMing.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Some of the other players reacted with sheer dismay at the idea I could still be lawful good for "shooting a cop in the face".

But he wasn't a cop from my country, and they were putting the mission at risk, I was defending myself and the mission and my party members who are in the trenches with me so to speak.

Is that not lawful good?

Killing any sort of cop is a good act, yes, but is it lawful good? Still yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Wanderer posted:

the creator really enjoys bodily transformation on the level where it's probably a fetish

Not nearly as much as he enjoys exposition, though.