Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

NihilCredo posted:

Hinjo said that Dorukan's gate was the largest and Soon's gate (the gem) was the smallest. I guess it could be a little bigger and still fit, but man, that would feel more Dr. McNinja than OotS to me.

"Girard's Buttcheeks" could be the name of some geological formation. Resembling a butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

Well, I was wrong "Soon an' 'is paladins" was not the first back-to-back use of apostrophes in the comic. Rich achieved this pinnacle of improbable accents a while ago.

This is improbable? Is there some kind of thing with English that means you'd always pronounce the "d" in "and" if you dropped the "h" in his?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Is it the finished work-o-meter? Or a work-in-progress work-o-meter? Work-o-meter needs to be on the work-o-meter.

It's fun to say "work-o-meter."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Zore posted:

Elan's actually probably fine as is I think, though he could utterly replace his prestige class with the feat Snowflake Wardance, do some crazy Inspire Courage stacking shenanigens, and discover his amazing Sonic Dragon ancestry so he could pick up Dragonfire Inspiration. Give him one of those crystal blades, or the lingering song feat, and every combat could give the party both +10/+11 to hit and damage and another +11d6 sonic damage with some pretty casual optimization. Keep him as pure Bard and rock face.

Does any of that involve puppets? I'd track down a class that focused heavily on puppeteering, mystical or otherwise.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The last time I saw an original take on the "Mask under a Mask" gag was in a Darkwing Duck comic. There was a mask-stealing-themed villain who was after Darkwing's mask, and he finally managed to steal it off his face. The villain gets captured, but he claims partial victory since Darkwing has been unmasked... only for Darkwing to reveal that wasn't his real face, it was a duplicate mask of his real face, and he still had a mask on his real face under the fake face mask.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

LightWarden posted:

The axe is too big for him to use though. And Tarquin at least has some idea about Belkar, considering he refers to him as a foil and a source of interparty conflict.

Belkar using a comically unwieldy weapon seems right up his alley, though.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth posted:

Don't do anything that affects anything. Unless it turns out you were supposed to do it, in which case for the love of God, don't not do it!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

There's a psychic character called Mindfuck in Adam Warren's Empowered comic series that taps into other people's senses to experience things like taste, since she doesn't have a tongue. So not DnD, but in case it's bugging anybody else where they might've heard of something like that before.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Well, looks like I've got another viable defence for my indecent exposure case.

I probably missed it coming up in this thread, but has anyone made the possible connection between Durkon returning to his homeland as a vampire and the prophecy? 'Cause that seems like quite the possibility.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

oobey posted:

The Order of the Stick Special Edition would finally capture the vision Burlew always had in mind, but couldn't achieve with the stick figure technology of the time.

My biggest beef is that the ghost of Roy's dad now looks like he did in the prequel books.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The real problem isn't that he's now a vampire, the problem is that he's a vampire that looks like your buddy. :(

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Kajeesus posted:

I like how in Roy's ultimate victory fantasy he still needs a Vaarsuvius ex machina to succeed. I guess yesterday it would also have included Durkon, though... :smith:

Either needed, or part of his fantasy is that V shows up okay and the party works well together as a team.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Mylan posted:

It applies to all undead. You use negative energy to trap their soul in their corpse, thereby animating it. Even an old corpse has it's soul pulled back into the body. It's why creating undead is always an evil act, and why the animate dead spell has the evil descriptor.

I thought it was evil because it went against the natural order of things. Makes a lot more sense now why Red Cloak was so reluctant to have undead goblins.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Simian_Prime posted:

Has there been any talk or plans involving an animated Order of the Stick?

Because I can't imagine Belkar's lines in the last panel being said in anyone other than H. Jon Benjamin's voice.

(Hell, you can just imagine Archer screaming "I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!")

H. Jon definitely has the sarcasm down, but his voice seems unaturally deep for Belkar. If it was me, I'd have him as Roy and use John DiMaggio as Belkar. And probably Billy West as Elan. Come to think of it, I could see Katy Seagal as Haley and yeah I guess it'd just end up being Futurama.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Dr. Buttass posted:

I always pictured Belkar's voice as being kinda higher. Like Neil Patrick Harris maybe.

With his singing voice I think he'd make a great Elan, too.

Edit: Gilbert Gottfried for Belkar. Think about it.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 25, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Zogundar posted:

I would definitely like to see an OOTS animated series, but does the strip have an insurmountable lead on any TV adaptation, or would it catch up and then.. uh.. what happens in Western productions when that happens? I only ever see this stuff in anime.

Rich, being Rich, would create all new content for the animation.

Simian_Prime posted:

And I'd get Dana Snyder (Master Shake) for Xykon. Hell, throw in Carey Means and Dave Willis for Redcloak and MitD... the dynamic between the three already has sort of an Aqua Teen Hunger Force vibe.

Carey Means might work for Roy, too. But seeing that trio voiced by that trio would be great. Dana Snyder would work great on the quips, but not so much the "power is power" monologues and such.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Dr. Buttass posted:

Maybe Ron Perlman. He's been known to say some pretty silly poo poo in his day and no one doubts HIS capacity for a villainous monologue.

I think there can only be one voice for Xykon when it comes to villainous monologuing, Tony Jay. Megabyte, Count Frollo, Pontius Pilot...

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Carrasco posted:

You're right, it's Swordsages who get evasion. And he's almost definitely not a swordsage.

Swordsages. As in, swordsman who are sages, and not, say, fighters who specialize in some kind of sausage-like weapon?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

jsoh posted:

Rereading stuffs: I don't get the bit (joke?) with Blackwing on this page http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html . Any help?

My guess: ginkgo bilboa is purported to be a memory enhancer, and Blackwing keeps getting forgotten.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I hope Rich's business model is okay.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Robviously posted:

To be fair his class's trait chart was: sociable, good story teller, technologically savvy; pick two(max). Need Writer(class) buff, tia.

If they could have an admistrative assistant familiar, it might help balance out the more tedious aspects.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Is there some kind of D&D class that's known for using magical items, but doesn't have any magical abilities of their own?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

What if it's a meta thing and we are the snarl?

Answer: it would be a pretty stupid and flimsy metaphor.

Someone gets close enough to examine the Snarl and reveals it's made up of OoTS forum posts. OoTS was the "new world" in order to contain the worst of D&D fans before they could do any more damage.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I wooden't get too upset over it. Everything's going to be oak-y.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Logful Neutral?

...I'll show myself out.

Logful Wood.

Edit: n/m someone already made this joke.

Maybe... Logful Maple?

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 22, 2014

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Puns are always poplar, but I'm stumped trying to think of anymore. This post maple it off, though.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

He might as well just log out.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Did this theoretical lich PC just want to have a novelty backstory or was there a ton of bonuses that came with it?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Knowing what we now know about colors makes me reevaluate those things.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

In 5e law Vs. chaos is pretty much "laws help maintain the status quo" Vs "the status quo is unimportant"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

TunaSpleen posted:

Boy, wait until they find out that magnetic north isn't true north. Unless it is in the Stickiverse, I guess.

There are magic items that indicate north. They could be using one of those.

I prefer to think navigation by compass involves rolling on the magnetic declination tables.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

MrFlibble posted:

Like theres anything better to do.

Was 4th edition chaotic neutral or lawful evil? Discuss.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

In another universe maybe we're all upset the critically acclaimed "Dungeon Crawlin' Fools" went off the rails in the last seasons.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

What's all this about Kaldur?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Pseudoscorpion posted:

The S is for sucks.

Something something consummate V

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If you've got decent wisdom or charisma I think you can usually make your saving throws against shame.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

How old is this comic's primary demographic now?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

So the strip's been going for around 21 years, and if it goes 7 or 8 years more that means even most of the oldest readers will have been reading it for half their lives.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

riderchop posted:

how old is Rich this year

He's 50 in September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Maybe the real solution to the snarl is for the gods to give up their godhood in exchange for letting a new pantheon take over. Banjo, Giggles, SSGoW, etc.