Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Does anyone have any experience with RF remotes? I was looking at the Niveus Media PC Remote but its sold out everywhere. Is there anything similar out there that does both IR for controlling TV's, dvd players, etc and RF w/ mouse control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
I'm looking to build a computer that will basically replace my XBMC with something that can do hidef. I looked at the apple tv which would be perfect if it had the power to do x264 decoding. I've put together something on newegg and I was wondering if one of you guys could give it the once over. My biggest concern is the CPU might be a little weak (Sempron LE-1100) but I'm trying to keep it as cheap and cool as possible.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

alien8 posted:

The X2 3800 is honestly the bare minimum if you want to be able to playback HD content. And even that would probably require CoreAVC.

I can live with that as the 3800+ and 4000+ are about 30 dollars more.

One thing I've been looking at is getting an ATI integrated card (mostly because they're cheaper). The killer feature for nvidia cards for me is the ability to resize the desktop so that there isn't any overscan with my tv. Does ATI include the same utility?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
I'm having a bit of a problem with the HDMI audio and my Zotac GeForce 9300 HDMI. I've tried a bunch of drivers from nvidia but the only way I get audio over hdmi to work is if I use the drivers from the CD that came with the board. This wouldn't be a huge problem except I can't upgrade the video drivers and the new ones have better controls for fixing under/overscan (and the worry that I'll lose the driver CD at some point).

Does anyone else have this board and is successfully using updated drivers? I'm running XP 32 bit.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

Crackbone posted:

I believe there is a separate "nvidia HDMI audio" driver that is not included with the Geforce drivers. See if you can find and install it. In my install, for example, I have both an HDMI audio device and Nvidia HDMI audio device, and I have to set the Nvidia one as default to get it to work.

I had tried that in the past but even after installing the hdmi audio driver nvidia audio device wouldn't show up for me to select. Strangely enough, I noticed that there were driver updates for my card (inc. the audio driver) on windows update. I tried those and they worked perfectly.

Go Microsoft I guess.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
Is there an easy way to get the revo's (or any similiar ion based PC) to output video+audio to component?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

evensevenone posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a small wireless keyboard/mouse thing? Preferably bluetooth, but I guess it doesn't have to be.

I was thinking something like this: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/handheld-rechargeable-bluetooth-v2-0-2-4g-mini-wireless-keyboard-with-trackpad-and-red-laser-900158147 but it's DX and will probably turn out to be a piece of crap.

Lenovo makes a pretty good wireless keyboard. I'm not 100% sure about this model but I know for the older one there were near bi-weekly deals that brought the price down to 25/30 dollars.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

mdh1975 posted:

I am wanting to build a small dedicated gaming emulator box for playing nothing newer than PCSX2 on. Was leaning towards an Llano a8-3850 but am reading conflicting information on how well it does with the newer emulators like PCSX2. Should I look into another micro atx board and inexpensive cpu instead?

I can't help you out but the fine folks in the PCSX2 thread might be able to.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
What is the favorite remote for XMBC control? I have a logitech 300 that's held up okay but some of the buttons are starting to wear out and I've never been a fan of their software.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

kri kri posted:

I think EC or something used another remote provider but I don't think there is anything else that matches the functionality of Harmony line right now. The software sucks but ideally you shouldn't need to use the software much.

My biggest problem with the software is that it only supports one remote profile. I have 2 300's right now and I had to sign up for the site twice to configure them. I'll likely stick with Logitech but I was hoping that there was something else out there I was missing.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
I tried going the openelec + wireless route and ended up switching over to XBMCbuntu. One showstopper for me was that XMBC starts before the wireless adapter has a chance to connect so if you're using the centralized library it'll cause XBMC to freak out. XBMCbuntu is pretty painless

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

fletcher posted:

Whoops forgot about this thread. Got everything installed now per the guide, 1080p playback is still sluggish though

Are you using XBMCbuntu? For some reason the XBMC that ships with that doesn't support hardware rendering.

see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156927 for an easy fix

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

Medullah posted:

What's the best option for a HTPC remote that can power on a PC? I have it routed through my Onkyo r2295 receiver. I'm open to physical remotes or attachments that sync with a smartphone.

I've been using the Antec veris for a few years and it works pretty well. It hooks into the power button header on your motherboard so it works just as if you pressed the power button on your case. If you're running windows the software for the receiver is okay at best.

I believe newegg sells them as well.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone have a recommendation for a launcher? I'm looking for something that is easily control by remote that let's me launch XBMC, steam, emulators with ease. I have an app switcher right now that is programmed to come up when I press a button on my remote but it's really janky and a pain to setup.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

franchise1 posted:

If I get an Nvidia Shield TV mainly for Plex, will I need to subscribe? Currently I just stream to a chromecast through my phone from a couple of different Plex servers.

Nope you're fine using the free tier for in home streaming

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
In general the new patch is a shitshow. My 2015 shield which is pretty much stock won't even display the launcher half the time, I've had it restart several times, and the wifi keeps dropping out. The thing has been absolutely solid up until now. I don't play anything off of USB drives but I have seen a ton of posts on reddit with folks reporting the same.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

evobatman posted:

After my 2017 Shield TV updated to Shield Experience 9.0.0/Android TV 11, VLC and MX player whic are my preferred players will no longer show files when browsing my USB drives, only folders. Kodi and X-plore will show and play them. Anyone come across something similar?

Nvidia has a hotfix out but you need to sign up for it here. I installed it this morning and it seems to have fixed my issues and turned my shield back into the boring device I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
Harmony+shield is perfect imo. I'm dreading the day the former finally dies off since I haven't seen anything that provides the same level of ease of use and broad support. One remote for everything is great.