Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Does anyone have any experience putting Linux on previously Android (ARM) devices? Is it possible beyond the runs-as-an-app I've been hearing about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ratzap posted:

I have a trim slice which is a tiny form factor all in one running arm v7. Ubuntu is easiest to get going, there's archlinux and several other options. However, what you can run will depend on your device and what arm version.

It's going to be one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H3B736/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

One person in the reviews says that it can do Ubuntu but didn't elaborate. I would hope that since it's generic enough it shouldn't have much of a problem, I just don't know where to start. I haven't installed Linux on anything but VMs and x86-based computers, so an ARM-based mini-computer seems daunting (but it probably isn't that hard, I know).

asaf posted:

Looking for a distribution to use on a VM to get back into coding... Last time I did this I used Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, but with the changes I've been hearing about Ubuntu and all the crap that seems to come loaded on it in the latest LTS release, I'm wondering if I would be better served by something like Mint. I used to use Linux as my primary about three years ago, and back then I was into Arch, but using Arch on a VM strictly cause I prefer coding in a *nix environment instead of Windows seems like it would waste a lot of time. Distribution suggestions, anyone?

EDIT: Hmm, Xubuntu looks somewhat pleasant, I'll give that and Mint a run.
E2: or poo poo, maybe I'll just do Arch + ssh + sublime editor
E3: Too much effort; the install procedure's changed and I want to code, not sysadmin.

Hey now, calm down, you're probably overthinking things. I don't see a problem with any of those. At work I code in RHEL6, at home I use Mint. I like Mint because it's more of a "desktop" feel that I could easily install on laptops and VMs and then the only things I had to add on were coding and testing related packages.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 4, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ratzap posted:

Looks interesting. Skim through http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=11 and you might find someone who's done it already. Looks like someone was trying a cortex core in a tablet mid year so they may well be along by now.

I'd guess that android pc shows up as a usb drive in order to get your bootable image in place or something. Good luck anyway and do keep up posted how you get on.

Looking around, apparently someone suggested this can work

https://www.miniand.com/forums/forums/2/topics/1

It's obviously built for a different piece of plastic, but I can't imagine it would be vastly different. Worth a try I suppose.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Along those lines, is getting "REDHAT CERTIFIED" worth it if I'm looking to move into sysadmin-type jobs? I was looking through a magically procured studyguide for the test and I'd say I know more than half of it already, and the stuff I don't know is for the most part just a deeper use of stuff I was using already.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I don't think I've seen a job specifically ask for it, but I do want to do sysadmin work but my experience consists of "messing around with it on a few machines at home, doing some very basic stuff in college, and supporting individual machines at work even though that's not my official job description"

I just want to show I know what the hell I'm doing and to stand out a little? I assume it's really the reasons I haven't gotten call-backs since that experience looks a bit lame.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

evol262 posted:

Your description pretty much sounds like "I want to be a sysadmin, but I'm not experienced enough, and I keep applying to sysadmin jobs." To be honest, Linux isn't uncommon enough that I need to hire some shade-tree guy who's never touched a production system, doesn't know how to script, can't configure a webserver, etc. You need to look lower, at junior admin, operations, etc, and work your way up when you have the experience. It's unlikely that you're going to win out over a guy who has even six months of solid experience working on the command line.

My point is I CAN do those things. I've done most of that at this job (I've been at for a year and a half), plus the experience of messing around which is harder to quantify, it's true.

The problem is that my actual job title has nothing to do with sysadmin; I was just basically "a guy who could learn to do it," was taught everything I'd need to know from the guy really into it (who also is not officially an admin), and learned the rest myself.

I mean I guess junior does make more sense, but I'm not coming into this blind in any sense of the word, whereas I always understood junior as "potential but zero experience"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I got it, thanks for the help. I do have the actual things I've done in my resume so I guess it's not really hidden information at this point.

I'll have to see about those certs and about trying to maybe change my search terms. Again, thanks guys!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ninja Rope posted:

Then again, sometimes the only way to get ahead is to change jobs.

This change has been made for me, so now I am full-time looking for a position :ohdear:

I'll be thinking about the advice dispensed here.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Quick question, I put Ubuntu 12.10 on VirtualBox on my laptop (i7, 6gb ram) and gave it 8gb space, 4 gb ram, and 4 cores. It takes 20 mins to boot and is impossibly slow. Is this just VirtualBox, my laptop, Ubuntu got bad, or a combination?

Edit: Vvvv. I should mention I have not actually gotten past the login screen. It took about 3 hours to install last night, then waiting for it to boot, I entered name and pass, and it ground on a blank screen for 20 minutes before I had to do other things.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 25, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

edit: MY QUESTION IS STUPID PLEASE IGNORE MY QUESTION STUPID MUCH LIKE MYSELF

Also can you guys recommend an IRC channel I can ask those stupid questions in and not get yelled at? Does SHSC have an IRC?

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 9, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

My question was horribly stupid, no two ways around it. In my defense, it only confused me for about 5 minutes, because my former place of employment did things a bit less secure than, well, anywhere, since it was all internal dev stations and all (not an excuse).

Anyway thanks for the channel suggestions. I'm messing with RHEL6 because it's what my job interview on Friday is about, and it's what I was using before, so might as well keep this going. Mostly just trying to cram some more info about Bash scripting into my head and praying they don't ask me to write script with pen and paper, because I can't do that.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I just got a position as a junior Linux sysadmin (RHEL workstations and desktops, a few laptops). Anyone have a recommended "cheat sheet" I can have around for less common problems?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I was already using those sites, I meant an actual physical cheat sheet, but if those are all I have to use that's fine.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

My personal example of "why not to run in root" was having a coworker bitch at me that we were telling them not to do it, then another coworker comes up and wants help because she managed to delete everything in /var/db while logged in as root and it busted our software.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So the place I just started has this problem: all our user's home directories are shared via NFS, allowing the mounting of the home directories of other users on any machine, and the place has been RHEL5. They are starting to flirt with RHEL6 but in the very limited roll out (2 boxes), they've discovered that while 5 and 6 can freely access each other's NFS shares, 6 to 6 just isn't working and it looks like it hangs. Any ideas?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

evol262 posted:

SELinux? iptables rules? You using NFSv4 on RHEL6->6 (probably)? Is it configured correctly?

Those have already been ruled out. 6 comes with NFSv4. We even have RH themselves looking at it and I can't find anything on the internet beyond "really high IO can make NFS unresponsive"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

"These are complicated by the fact that Angstrom mostly runs on PDA-style devices, which are physically small, and also lack much computing power."

Wait, what? was this written in 1998 or something, when "PDAs" a) existed b) sucked c) weren't an issue?

Don't you WANT more local security on a smaller device that may contain user data because it's easier for someone to just gently caress off with it?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

From what I can tell, if it's registered, it will have the file /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid

If the file does not exist, it's not registered.

I think you HAVE to use the GUI to fully unregister a system.

Disclaimer: I've only been fooling around with it for a week.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 13, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

A user with Gnome on Red Hat 5 is getting miffed that his trash can icon (and the trash itself) never shows files he deletes. We've checked the .Trash folder and the files are going there, but he can't empty them without going CLI and deleting them by hand, which he does not want to do.

We've tried deleting the .Trash and recreating it, moving .Nautilus away so it's recreated on login, and tried to empty it in KDE. Nothing is fixing this issue.

I keep seeing references to the bug on Google but their fixes don't work or it says it's fixed in versions 7 years old.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

.xsession-errors is pretty clean. It doesn't look like we have anything with gvfs installed (again I'm pretty new in this position so I'm still getting around our setups)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

evol262 posted:

NFS homedir? /home a separate partition?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=905048
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=306721

Tried upgrading or downgrading (depending on whether or not you're on the most recent version) gnome-vfs2? Can you reproduce the bug?

I'll try to reproduce but as far as I know, this is the only user having this problem. Everyone uses the UI heavily so it seems like if it was that bug, it would have come up before.

When I get in I'll check the version numbers.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

On one server, we've given one account sudoers access to ONLY restart Tomcat

username localhost=/etc/init.d/tomcat5 stop, /etc/init.d/tomcat5 start, /etc/init.d/tomcat5 restart

However, when he tries to sudo any of these commands, he gets "username is not allowed to run sudo on server. This incident will be reported"

Am I missing something?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Thanks, just what I needed to know.

Another question...

Is there a good way of finding out how long a user has been idle? I want to run a python script from cron only while a user is using the computer. Ideally whatever method won't require a screensaver to be configured.

Besides w?

edit: w is probably a terrible solution for your problem, sorry.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Try diff <your args> 2>&1 | tee output.txt

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

From what I remember trying to get Steam up about a year ago in Wine, it took a huge amount of fiddling and I don't know what I did to fix it, but it was still really unreliable.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Horribly new question: I need to update a bunch of boxes with RHN. When I work with a group, select all packages and go to install, on i386 machines it installs just the i386 packages, but on x64 machines it wants to install both x86_64 AND i386 packages. Is this going to totally mess things up?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

evol262 posted:

Nope. It's multilib by default (ls /lib /lib64). You may want to check and make sure that you actually want all the i386 packages it's installing, though.

Well, it looks like it has every single package in both archs. The big concern is that it has Firefox in both i386 and x64 and that just feels bad.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I am going to murder Java.

I am trying to get the loving plugin to work in Chrome and I just cannot get it to go. I need it in order to connect to my work VPN. No matter what or how I install Java (including following instructions like this) Chrome denies that it's installed. I'm about to lose my drat mind.

edit: I'm starting it with --enable-plugins just in case that's still a thing, I've tried creating the symlink in /opt/google/chrome/plugins which is apparently how it works in Ubuntu too. I'm using the 32 bit version as is required according to Oracle. Nothing. Works.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 13, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

spankmeister posted:

You need to put a symlink to the plugin in /opt/google-chrome or somesuch.

I use OpenJDK and IcedTea myself and that works well with chrome too.

I've done that.

/opt/google/chrome/plugins/libnpjp2.so -> /usr/java/default/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

spankmeister posted:

And you're using the 32 bit version of chrome?

64 bit browser, 32 bit plugin. Shouldn't that still work, since the Java version HAS TO be 32 bit according to Oracle?

edit: It's not even showing up in chrome://plugins. It's just not loading the loving file as far as I can tell.

edit2: Tore it all down, put the 64 bit version of java on, triple checked the links, NOW it works. Ugh.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 13, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Dameius posted:

Well I guess specifically it will be stuff related to Linux server environments. Aforementioned friend got a level 1 VPS for us to mess around in. So any guides on cool or essential things to do by bash commands to maintain a server would be cool. Learning about root access WHM right now and have pretty much mastered cPanel at this point minus any ancillary stuff like cronjobs scripting or MySQL work.

Install a SVN server and get it working through httpd. Harden the server and use a suite to probe it or find a friend who knows how to do it and ask them. Get an rsync backup system in place and then cause a failure and restore it.

My own unrelated issue I am dealing with:

This user can't get into one of our main servers via ssh. I've had her do -v and this is the output after she enters her password

quote:

debug1: Authentication succeeded (password).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: Requesting no-more-sessions@openssh.com
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: Sending environment.
debug1: Sending env LANG = en_US.UTF-8

After this, nothing happens, it just freezes.

There were hilarious things happening before like the presence of an RSA key on her machine that was being sent to the server, which didn't expect an RSA key and was halting at the key authentication stage (before it moved onto password), so I'm expecting some other awful nonsense to be at work.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 15, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

telcoM posted:

Has the user customized his/her login script? My first guess would be a login script being stuck in an infinite loop or endless recursion.

She did not

However I'm pretty sure it's something to do with NFS. All of our user's home directories on their machines are available as NFS shares in the /export/machinename/username directory (mounted with autofs), and when I su - username to this user, it hangs. If I ps aux | grep nfs, I see that it's trying to mount her directory and getting stuck.

It's an issue we've fixed by dropping down to NFSv3 since Red Hat themselves could not tell us why our systems would not work with 4, so I just have to change the configs on her system and it should be ok.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ninja Rope posted:

Is the user's shell what you expect?

It wasn't, because a home directory couldn't be found, so it gave me a bare assed sh

However, a coworker did ~something~ and it's all OK now. I've been bugging him to find out exactly what he did (since as far as I knew after downgrading the packages to fix the NFS problem, a reboot is required) but he's been busy.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Your first act is to press ctrl + alt + F2

If that doesn't help at all I got nothin'

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Memory usage for a couple lightweight window managers:

http://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/

The differences seem large, but really aren't much unless you're only running 256MB RAM or something like that.

Ah IceWM, good to see you friend. It's been a while.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Is there any easy way to tell when a program was last used? We have an expensive piece of software on our system whose license is about to expire, and we don't know if we want to renew it. I sent out an email to everyone who may use it and nobody claimed that they do, but that's apparently not good enough.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So one of our servers is 10 drives, SATA 1 tb and other specs, and one of the drives has died and needs to be replaced before another drive dies and causes a problem. I put in a request and apparently nobody carries the exact drive anymore.

I found drives with the exact same brand, exact same specs, but different model number. How bad will it be to use these? I know there can be unlisted changes that can be unpredictable but I don't think I really have a choice at this point.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

That amount is no problem at all. The hard part is keeping your IP's off the spam lists.

All of our problems are with the programs that we use to generate and queue up the mail.

That's why high performance mail systems cost $$$, because they can.

And yeh, mail reputation is a thing that people often don't think about until oops all your mailings are getting dumpstered.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

The genuine best advice I can give you is to work with a contractor like MailChimp. They have full-time staff devoted to managing delistings on block lists and that sort of thing.

Or buy a package that handles it, but that is probably way more expensive if you truly aren't going to be doing 300k a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

We have user's home directories shared as NFS shares and all computers, including servers, mount them with autofs when requested. On ONE server, for ONE user, there is ONE subdirectory that is showing 2 of each individual file (it has no subdirs under that).

It does not happen in his other directories
It does not happen when it's mounted on another machine
It does not show that way locally

I've tried exportfs -f on the server with no fix. I've restarted his machine. I can't find anyone on the internet beyond a bug reports that are never answered, forum posts that are answered with links to said bug reports, or stuff from Netapp asking for details that are never given.