Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Planning a Linux setup with the unofficial Arch Linux GUI installer to dual boot with my existing Windows 11 install, is there any advantage to using xfs, zfs, or btrfs over ext4 on a puny 512 gig SSD? I used zfs for one of the two partitions on my thinkpad and the only difference I noticed was that, when I accidentally put /home in the smaller partition and / in the bigger one, the zfs partition that was meant to be /home but ended up as / couldn't be shrunk and I had to suck up wasting a third of the SSD (I wasn't about to redo a manual Arch installation, that poo poo is annoying). :sadpeanut:

I have tested the Arch GUI installer and bricked it in hours because I enabled verbose start but forgot how to update grub properly and nuked my config and it's shocking how well it works. Everything is preconfigured including graphics drivers and it uses the ubuntu installer. You have to pacman -S archlinux-keyring before updating because iso is five months old amd completely offline but otherwise it works almost as well as ubuntu out of the box.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

If using btrfs and set up a standard way, pacman can automatically make snapshots before upgrades. Then you have instant rollback if you grab an update that breaks your poo poo, or brick it yourself trying new things. I super regret not setting up my install that way.

read the docs though https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/snapper

this made my arch install self-destruct. Even trying to rebuild grub from official media didn't work because my root filesystem appeared to be borked after rebooting with the btrfs snapshotting programs installed.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

The catch-22 of arch: in order to have the thing that recovers from borking your install, you have to install the thing without borking your install.

(You might want to try EndeavourOS, it will set that stuff up properly OOTB with the standard subvolume layouts as used by mainstream distros. And then afterwards you get everything from arch repos just like normal arch.)

I decided to reinstall Arch from the official media and not a hosed up GUI installer from months ago, though I had to patch the python error they left in the archinstall script (:ughh:). This time I'm just using ext4, no fancy poo poo.

It'll be interesting to see if I can keep this install going for years. My Arch install on my ThinkPad has been dead-nuts reliable since I first installed it 5 years ago, but ThinkPads are indestructible cockroach computers that the sort of goony nerds who develop Linux programs know inside and out. My main desktop PC has a cheap and flaky B350 motherboard, an nVidia card (nVidia drivers being the bane of other Linux installs I've had), a zillion drives (2 SSDs, 3 HDDs, an external USB HDD, a BD-RE drive, and an LS-120 floppy drive) and a bunch of weirdo hardware like an IDE interface card to drive the aforementioned floppy drive, and I also expect to play games on it, mod games on it, and have it play nice with my Windows 11 install on the other SSD. So it might be a challenge but I guess if I didn't want a challenge I'd just install Kubuntu.

Satire Forum Mom posted:

What did you do? Just curious because I don't know how simply installing snap-pac-grub (which is all you need to do for automatic snapshot creation and GRUB menu updates whenever pacman runs) from the AUR could lead to an unbootable system.

Probably didn't set up my subvolumes properly, I partitioned my drives as if it were an ext4 system.

E: How much work would it be to replace KWin/Aurorae with another WM while keeping the rest of KDE Plasma? I am very unhappy with the way legacy-style window decorations where the titlebar has a defined lower border get rendered incorrectly at high DPI, as I'm using a NeXTSTEP style theme.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 4, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Started running KDE in Wayland instead of X11 but I'm having problems with the cursor about doubling in size with GTK3 applications compared to native KDE apps, and also a lot of flickering and fuckiness with GTK poo poo in general. Is this something I just have to deal with until they fix it (or go back to X11) or is there a workaround?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

2. in the KDE settings panel, Application Style -> Gnome/GTK Style and try setting a different theme.
The theme successfully changed, but the bugs are still there.

quote:

3. run qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin org.kde.KWin.showDebugConsole and check the windows tab. See if your GTK stuff is running in x11 for some reason. The mouse cursor thing makes me think of a thing that happens when wayland and x have different settings. GTK apps shouldn't need to use x, gnome has been wayland-native longer than any other DE.
Confirmed that the GTK windows are running under X11. Note that I do not have GNOME or any other GTK desktop environment installed; the only GTK stuff is what KDE uses.

quote:

4. Are you using a nvidia GPU and if so which drivers?
Yes (RTX 2070), and I'm using the nvidia-open drivers.

quote:

5. My dude if you have chosen to use arch, your stance on problems should not be "deal with until they fix it". The starting assumption should be that it's not them, it's something you need to fix locally.
Well, there was also "continue using X11 for years until it rots to the point of uselessness". :v:

Also a huge KDE update just dropped so I'm going to apply it and reboot and see what happens.

E: didn't seem to change anything

E2: I can force Electron apps to use Wayland by starting them from terminal with the args --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland but the default .desktop shortcuts seem to be only be editable as root. For GTK, it seems app-specific: Firefox will run if called from the terminal with GDM_BACKEND=wayland but Pale Moon will not (I prefer using Pale Moon for most things but I use Firefox for YouTube and anything that involves money).

E3: The plasma panel also tends to start misbehaving, no longer indicating when I switch windows and occasionally crashing the whole desktop.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 7, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Decided to just :effort: and stick with X11 because even if I got everything working on the system end, some of the software I'm using has no Wayland support anyway (Pale Moon especially, which crashes if loaded with GDK_BACKEND=wayland set and according to a google search, has no plans for ever supporting Wayland).

Computer viking posted:

Running Arch is basically "may you live in interesting times" in distro form, so it's not entirely representative.
My ThinkPad with Arch has been the most reliable and rock-solid system I've ever used, the Ryzen is proving a bit more troublesome. It seems to depend a lot on your hardware and how much :pcgaming: functionality you want. X11 is not as nice as a fully functional Wayland would be (or Windows for that matter), but it does the job.

E: One frustration I have had with all the Linux distros I use is that the compatibility with legacy software and hardware is vastly worse than Windows. One thing I've always liked about Windows was running programs up to 30 years old without any problems, and not having that in Linux is a bit painful (except in wine where ancient software works great :rubby:).

If Windows can maintain backwards compatibility, more or less, to Windows 3.0, does that mean X is vastly worse than Windows 3.0's windowing system? Because Windows apps don't need to "support" the new windowing systems, they work because rule #1 of Windows is you don't break Win32, ever, and for all the many problems Windows 11 has, the rendering seems both modern and extremely reliable. Are the seams between Wayland and Xwayland X's fault for just sucking so much?

Personally I blame all this on the nvidia drivers, nVidia on Linux has always sucked and, even if it sucks less than it used to, it still sucks.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 8, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

You can't actually run 30 year old Windows programs any more, those are all 16-bit and Microsoft dropped support for that in 64-bit Windows.

Eh, well 25 then. Lots of late '90s mod tools work fine under either 64-bit Windows or Linux with wine. Very few native Linux programs of similar ages can do that from an existing binary, or even be compiled to run on a modern Linux system.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Wait until you see how apple handles backwards compatibility.

The few times I have gotten to use a Mac I hated it so I'll probably remain ignorant on this front. :shrug:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mescal posted:

why is "copy" greyed out in vim's visual interface? also, should i learn how to use it

Why are you using the GUI controls in vim? That defeats vim's entire point lmao

Though at some point I should learn it properly too, I know some basic commands like d*w, d*d and the like but not really how to use it on a deeper level than one would use nano.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

There has never been a middle ground I've needed between nano and a full graphical IDE like Visual Studio Code. If I'm using nano it's because I need to make some quick one off changes to a config file. If I'm using VSC I am loving around with a git repo and need versioning and branches.

I cannot fathom when/why I would try to use a CL tool like VIM on a modern machine. If I'm trying to gently caress around with something more complicated I would much rather gently caress around with VSC, push the repo to Github and pull it back down to whatever machine needs to use it than agonize around with vim locally.

Because (a) grognards who've used vim for years and years as developers become scarily efficient at it and don't want to waste time learning a new tool when vim does the job very well for them, and (b) when I use vim it's because I'm already loving around in a terminal window (usually configuring something) and I don't want to have to open up a new window and go from terminal to GUI to back just to edit some config files.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I was looking up articles about Plan 9 from Bell Labs because it sounds kind of interesting even if it sounds like a nightmare to actually use for anything besides hacking projects, I ended up following one dumb reddit argument to suckless/cat-v.org and got retraumatized :psyduck:

Like, I can sympathize with the Free Software Foundation even if I think they're zealots in need of of some basic pragmatism, but what, exactly, is the sort of approach to computers that suckless people/Plan 9 idealists actually want for society? It's not just that Plan9 might be difficult to use, per se, but it's completely obsessed with the sort of low-level hacking very few people actually do and very few people actually need to do, to the point where the system becomes actively hostile to any use of the machine that actually factors into economic production or public entertainment (i.e. the vast, vast majority of actual existing computing). Do they want to lord over the internet as old-school '70s sysadmins writ large, who can mount the hard drives of the serfs' glorified terminals and read their personal information (seriously reading about plumbing, namespaces, 9P, etc. made me think of its :nsa: potential more than anything else)? Or do they just want computers to become completely irrelevant and most of the world go back to filing cabinets, rolodexes, and landline telephones while supporting a thousand wannabe Bell Labs to waste electricity on projects that revel in their own uselessness? Like, what do suckless people think computers are for?

E: Plan 9 in theory really sounds like the perfect :nsa: OS, a totalitarian regime with a hyper-elaborate version of plan 9's ideas (if they could actually work) could simply stop selling real computers altogether, and just let citizens have thin clients with minimal hardware that offload most of the processing to a giant nationwide blob of servers, mainframes, laptops, and virtual file systems that functions as one or a few giant systems where a hierarchy of administrators can pwn anyone's computers at any time just by changing directories or manipulating namespaces. Your whole digital life is just another folder to some computer cop, your devices just another set of /dev files that can be fed anything at anytime from anywhere. Not saying it would ever actually happen but Plan 9 From Fascism would made a cool hard-SF cyberpunk story (maybe with a comedy scene of some bored teenager breaking network security and copying goatse to random people's display buffer files).

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 11, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Suckless seem to actively hate most human beings and I think part of plan 9's appeal to them is precisely because it is mostly useless in real life, and thus they can have it all to themselves.

VictualSquid posted:

I haven't heard about that in decades. It sounded like some nerds managed to trick a company into paying for their theoretical cs research project. And no recent info to change my mind.

I actually have worked at a place that used Solaris thin clients for most computing. And it seems to have no customer facing difference to the way plan 9 is described. In fact you probably could move the server onto some kybernetes or some other distributed architecture and have 99% of what plan 9 tries to offer to users and admins.
But then it's not "pure" or "elegant" because beautiful code is far more important than doing actual work or serving anyone who isn't part of the hacker elite. It's especially funny reading their hyper-libertarian political rants where they openly resent the existence of other people and see them as threats.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 11, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I understand all of that but I'm talking about a community that is furious that the actual IRL implementation of plan 9 ideas are "impure" and that the original plan 9 system is the One True Way for all computing. To say "I don't like glibc" is to say something very different from "glibc is harmful".

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 11, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

How do you disable amplification of inputs with a default pipewire setup? It apparently thinks the Sound Canvas attached to my line-in is a microphone and I had to turn it down literally 57 dB to get it at a good level for loopback so I can play games with it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Seems to be! Thanks!

And here you had me excited thinking the PS/2 had a unique VGA font when it's exactly the same as any generic IBM clone :negative:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've used a couple of those extended VGA fonts before (mostly Perfect DOS 437), and I was wondering if any such fonts exist that have powerline characters, especially if they are pixelated to match the regular glyphs. Having the IBM VGA font with the chevrons and fancy colors would be funny as hell. It would be fun to wish I could afford to play with a DOS machine with a unique font, so I might have to look into what motherboards have oddball fonts.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Am I crazy or are 9/10 Nix users insufferable elitist pricks? I'm in a discord that the Dev for Fleek uses which is a wrapper for Nix's home manager which allows you to use imperative commands like a regular package manager to create the declarative Nix file. It basically simplifies the dreadfully complex Nix workflow into simple "install this" or "update" commands while still producing a reproducible nix file you can upload to github to rebuild your installed environment easily.

I don't personally use this because I don't have a complicated setup that can't be easily recreated with a handful of flathub installs.

However the discord is just a constant stream of Nix users driving by saying they are using Nix wrong and they should shut down the project or not use it.

Every other place I've seen Nix come up its just the users interjecting in unrelated topics to espouse the superiority of Nix over ostree or whatever.

Is this the experience other folks have had with the Nix userbase too?

Isn't the entire point of NixOS to be an impenetrable grognard distro? It sounds like the system is working as designed.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Recently I saw that the colored lighting software renderer had been added to the Quake II source port YamagiQ2. I decided to install it on my ThinkPad (my real PC is packed away because I am about to move), and both for nostalgia and to be easy on the feeble Sandy Bridge CPU I tried running it in 640x480, but as it turns out this renderer likes to crash. And when it crashes in 640x480 it completely trashes my KDE display settings, not only locking the screen in 640x480 but making the desktop totally unresponsive, even after a reboot. I ended up having to reboot into single user mode to get a tty to rm -rf the kscreen config folder (trying to get into a TTY from the SDDM login screen just made SDDM pop back up after a couple of frames).

Great failure state handing, loving windows 98 handles a fullscreen program in a non-native video mode crashing more gracefully than this :negative:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with the Trinity desktop environment? To me the idea of a desktop environment that looks and behaves like a desktop from 20 years ago while actually working on a modern system seems pretty cool. I have thought of putting it on my ThinkPad, but my ThinkPad's Linux install already has KDE Plasma and I am concerned that Trinity and KDE will gently caress each other up severely since they share a lot of things in common but wildly different versions. From what I can tell it doesn't have DPI scaling so using it on my main rig with its 4K display would be a no-go.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

What if they brought back the old design where you installed cards vertically instead of horizontally?

what if they brought back the old design where GPUs took up a single slot and if you floated the idea of a 1000W GPU people would call you a moron

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Laughs in 3-slot GPU and 850W PSU.

I have a big PSU too but I also have a lot of expansion cards and my 2-slot RTX 2070 is as big a GPU as I would ever want.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

ziasquinn posted:

I would simply get a bigger case

A bigger case won't get you a bigger motherboard with more slots to put cards in, the days of 7-slot boards are unfortunately long gone and even 5 slot boards are vanishing, so I'm probably going to have to ensure my next build has thunderbolt so I can mount PCIe cards externally. In the end I'll probably have to get a full tower case for my next build anyway because there's no other way to get 2+ external drive bays in a modern case and I use both my Blu-Ray drive and LS-120 floppy drive on a near daily basis.

That said, a lot of my expansion needs could be met with legacy PCI cards and there is an adapter for cases with a vertical GPU slot (my current case doesn't have one) that turns a single PCIe slot into two PCI slots.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

A lot of newer cases will have two or three daughterboard slots mounted perpendicular to the motherboard but far enough away that you can put a GPU there using a PCIe extention cable, and still have room to add all the full-height daughterboards that the motherboard can fit.

That is where the PCI adapter goes, it replaces the bracket and extension cable for a vertical GPU.

What would really be oldschool :pcgaming: would be to have that adapter to run legacy IDE and midi cards and also have the TPM to ISA adapter and put in an ISA floppy controller to run a 5.25" floppy drive, but there is probably not a case in the world that can make that work, not to mention there might not be any drivers for the ISA card for any OS more modern than Windows 95 (though I did get Debian to recognize my ISA Sound Blaster AWE64, after some modprobe commands, when I installed it on my Athlon for shits and giggles).

Still having a working 5.25" drive on a modern system would be amazing and make working with retro poo poo easier. Download 5.25" disk images off the interwebs and flash them directly to a disk without having to switch computers. As far as I know nobody has come up with a PCIe floppy controller, despite all the :shepspends: boutique retro cards out there these days.

Eletriarnation posted:

Nah, you just gotta look in the right places: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPYCD8-2T#Specifications

Could make it 9 slots with those OCuLinks, I think.

it must be nice to afford epyc for your home rig :smith:

I have an AMD Athlon rig for retro gaming. Floppy disks are by far the most convenient way to get small amounts of data in and out of the DOS side of that rig. CD-Rs are disposable and take way too long to burn (and just as long for DOS to mount), and my network card in that computer has no DOS drivers. Without a floppy drive in my main rig I would have to copy the data to a floppy anyway and keep switching between Windows XP (which has SMB1 connections to my main rig running Linux) and DOS, whereas with the LS-120 drive I can mount a disk and copy the files over in Linux (or dd to /dev/sde if it's an image), and then pop the disk back out and put it into the Athlon, without the Athlon having to go back to Windows (which requires me to power down the machine completely and pull a CF card containing the DOS system out of the back).

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 31, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Volguus posted:

5.25'' slots in a modern case still have a use: USB/SD card/whatever else bays. Yes, maybe for the average person, they don't copy to/from media cards every day, but if you're working with embedded systems that can only boot from such cards, it's extremely convenient. There are ways around it, of course, but why settle for workarounds when you can have a proper thing?

Being able to work with 3.5" floppy disks on my modern rig is extremely convenient, and being able to work with 5.25" disks as well would be more convenient. Though having a 5.25" floppy drive would be another thing requiring a bigger case, my case has only two bays, which are occupied by the LS-120 drive (using a bay adapter) and my Blu-Ray drive. For me, using a card reader (which I have as a USB dongle) to work on the DOS CF card directly is the workaround, popping in a disk and typing A:\INSTALL or whatever is the proper thing. Especially since taking out the CF card means powering down the machine (as far as DOS is concerned, that would essentially be ripping out the hard drive since it doesn't have access to the real hard drives on that machine), while using a floppy disk does not.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 31, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Computer viking posted:

For retro data moving purposes, could you use a compactflash card and a CF to IDE adapter on the old side? Larger and faster than the LS-120 drive, and less likely to develop mechanical issues.

This is literally how the DOS side of Athlon boots. The CF card adapter is plugged into primary master and there's an IDE hard drive on primary slave that contains Windows 98 and XP. When I insert the CF card the Windows boot loader is pre-empted and the computer boots into DOS. However, as I mentioned, the CF card is essentially DOS's hard drive, it can't just be hot swapped while the system is running.

And also, if I go through the trouble of building a retro rig, why would I not use floppy disks? If all I cared about was raw basic functionality I could have just used DOSBox. I want to make it convenient to do things the way things were done in the '90s, using authentic hardware and authentic media.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 31, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

mystes posted:

I will accept this but only if you have complete period accurate room for your retro rig

I know that a lot of the people here are bitter old IT workers who want to kill themselves but some people didn't make it the source of all their career regrets and actually still like messing with computers. If you think the Athlon and the bits of the Ryzen that exist to service it then you'd probably go apoplectic at my socket 8 Pentium Pro project with SCSI, an attempt (not successful so far, I haven't been able to boot it from CD yet) of building a 1996-era professional workstation. You know, to play DOS games.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 31, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I spun up a Debian VM to try out Trinity Desktop Environment, I didn't have high hopes but this is somehow worse than expected.

Trinity has a version of Krusader (orthodox file manager, the one I use as my primary FM on my real computer running KDE Plasma) which is different from KDE Plasma's version (trying to install Krusader through apt makes it want to install dozens of KDE 5 libraries). They have a git repository for a TDE version of Krusader, but the install documentation is LITERALLY COPIED AND PASTED DIRECTLY FROM THE OLD KRUSADER CVS FROM 2008. The instructions tell you to use apt-get build-deps krusader, which of course gives you deps for the KDE 5 Krusader. The configure script calls for files that don't exist in the source folder. And of course they don't have a "tde-krusader" package or the like because that would be too easy.

Yeah my beard isn't long enough for this poo poo.

E: there is a package but you have to go rooting through the ppa in your browser because the names of packages aside from the base package are all undocumented! :shepface:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 1, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

cruft posted:

I don't think kids ever wanted desktops, or even computers. They used them because they were an effective tool for accomplishing what they did want, which was communicating with their friends, or getting jobs, or whatever. But these smartphones seem to be providing what people want, in a more convenient way than desktop computers.

Maybe one day they can give up the smartphone for some other, better thing that's even less intrusive and more convenient in terms of letting them communicate with friends or get jobs.

Lots of kids loved 80s and early 90s computers which had no networking and were useless for communicating or getting jobs.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

skooma512 posted:

So I want to try dual booting again and using Linux as my desktop beyond just the container platforms I use now.

I'm gonna section off a piece of my boot drive for it. For games and such is it ok if I just the NTFS drives as is and install stuff to those/use the games that are already there or should I aim to have an ext4 partition? I'm trying to avoid making new partitions or disrupting the file system as much as possible, but I'm otherwise comfortable with the mechanics of doing so.

In my experience using NTFS to run modern games on Linux works but is very slow. Not a problem with old games but a big problem with modern AAA titles. Also you must make sure the drive is mounted such that your user owns it, not root, because chown does not seem to work properly on NTFS.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 13, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Is there a way to force a fullscreen program to run on a specific monitor on KDE/Wayland from the console? There are some games I would like to play on my CRT which is set as my secondary monitor, and often they don't respond well to using Alt+F3 to try to relocate them.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Another CRT issue I've had: a complete or nearly complete set of video modes for my CRT is available under KDE/X11, and I usually set it to 1600x1200@70 for desktop use. However, 1600x1200 is not available at all under KDE/Wayland (the resolutions go up to 1920x1080, as if it were a cheap LCD), and resolutions over 1024x768 are locked to 60 Hz. Even then, lower resolutions have severely limited refresh rates--1024x768 goes up to 75 Hz under KDE/Wayland but 120 Hz on X11. I have seen some pages on how to force Linux to enable specific video modes but they appear to involve GRUB configuration and kernel parameters, and for all I know the compositor could just ignore them. Is there any other way?

E: I am using it with a 13W3 to VGA adapter daisy chained into a VGA to DP adapter

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 17, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

On wayland, KWin and Mutter (gnome) don't have the ability to override modes. Sway does, because sway is made by people who want that type of hyper control.

This is exactly the sort of poo poo I went to Linux to get away from. FFS, even Windows lets me define a custom video mode, at least until the nVidia control panel gets broken in the next round of enshittification.

:ohdear: We can't have users making custom video modes, they might type in the wwong numbies and get a bwack scween! They'll be scawed!

Reading up on EDIDs this looks like it's going to be really annoying. Do I have to download the kernel source?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Yeah I'll definitely have to look into generating an EDID because changing resolutions on the fly is one of the main reasons to even have a CRT at all.

Of course this wouldn't have been necessary if video card makers didn't delete the RAMDAC and VGA ports from their cards :arghfist::corsair:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Storm One posted:

I'm sure you can, but bootloaders and UEFI are all black magic to me, and all the horror stories of Window's installer ruining people's Ubuntu partitions and vice-versa from long ago have put me firmly in the "don't know, don't really care to learn if some dipshit OS installer can just ruin everything anyway".

have you tried learning it

Nothing is "magic", you just don't understand. If my GRUB got broken it would be annoying but I would know exactly what to do, because I looked up both how to set up GRUB and how boot loaders work in general. And I always boot Windows from GRUB, I never use the Windows bootloader directly, because I set up GRUB a particular way and keep it that way, while Windows reserves the right to gently caress with the Windows bootloader any way it wants because it is "user friendly" and thus thinks it knows better than the user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

Seems kinda cruel to inflict linux on a mere child.

Unlike most adults, children like to do this thing called "learning" so they'll probably figure it out, and also install the ugliest UI themes you've ever seen.