Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd turn the Miata into a track missile.
Also, car payments suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

I'm going to start with the assumption that you want to do this correctly. This is what doing it correctly looks like: http://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/rover-turbo-how-build-reliable-turbo-track-car-spm-s1-nasa-st3-4-a-92020/page2/#post1398969
I had somehow not realized that a turbo car on the track was as big of a deal as it is with respect to losing turbos off manifolds, CHRA coming apart, and that kind of poo poo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I am also aware of this :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
But you can buy digressive pistons for the Bilsteins too :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Good, hopefully it will be a S2000 killer and I can move on.

Also, I want a Supermiata. :cripes:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
you're not wrong, at all

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/tucson-2004-mazda-miata-mazdaspeed-mx-5/6832471606.html

What is a fair price for this thing, or should I abort?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is it realistically worth?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

Seems like money that could go towards a k swap and other stuff for your s2000.

I made the mistake of driving it on the street today, it made me want to buy something similar as a DD :suicide:

I’ll keep looking.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MourningGlory posted:

I’ve seen this car in person and I casually know the owner. I haven’t closely examined it but I have owned two MSM’s in the past so I know the platform and this one seems pretty solid from what I’ve seen. The price is definitely high. I’d shoot for $7500 if I were interested but in general pricing on MSM’s is completely bonkers so who knows what it’ll go for.

I think I know who the car is owned by too, I don’t think we’ve been formally introduced though. Brandon?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Prong Song posted:

Buy a plain NB2 in good condition for $4000-5000, spend the remaining cash on a FM turbo kit? Have more power, high reliability?

TSE kit for the inevitable Supermiata S1 conversion, because that is what I really want but am way too deep into the S2000 money wise to make the change at this point.

Well, this has been enlightening and I will be passing. Thank you all :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Emilio has a section in the SuperMiata guide (https://yousuckatracing.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/unofficial_supermiata_30918.pdf) about that

quote:

My right foot is burning !!
Because header is sitting 3” away. Few fixes:
1. Header coating (usually not enough by itself)
2. Koolmat – http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com/kool-mat-spec-miata-floorkit/
3. Shielding – Building some type of shields underneath the car. This isn’t easy, but
best solution. http://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/heat-shields-90059/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a proven NC track coilover setup given that the Xidas aren't out yet?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Wrar posted:

Cup Miata was for NCs. I'm sure it's sorted out with those guys.

Going to be a wee bit different tire wise. :)

Phone posted:

I think the only game in town is Ohlins + whatever springs. Emilio hinted that they might do a NC shop car next; he's expecting it to be half of the cost of the FR-S and be faster iirc.

I'd heard that he was working on an NC too, hopefully the suspension easy button is available soon.

I think the Goodwin car went to SLB on the MeisterR coilovers, but either way it seems like they are working on the chassis setup. It appears to me that the NC is probably pretty disgustingly quick for little money with a 2.5, the right suspension, and some 17x10s.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know anything about this car? I made him a sight-unseen offer and I'm hoping he accepts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone know anything about this car? I made him a sight-unseen offer and I'm hoping he accepts.

I pick it up on Thursday. Bunch of pictures here
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...GthX3JiZmZUUU5n

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Russian Bear posted:

Needs a bigger wing STAT. Congrats!

I've got one of those... :v: Won't go on the car because its too wide though :smith:

Diametunim posted:

Congrats Mk4 that thing is wicked. Post video of it on the track ASAP. Are you keeping the S2K as well or replacing it with this?

I've got 6 days between mid-October and the first week of November, there will be video. My plan is to sit on the S2000 until I sort this thing out, then probably sell off all of the suspension / brakes / aero / ecu / new cf hardtop / etc and drive it around as a daily. I'm guessing I'll probably sell it though :smith:

I was basically at the crossroads of caging it and making proper class power, it so turned out that it costs significantly less to part out the S2000, sell it, and buy the Miata. This thing affords me the ability to easily class between ST/TT2 and ST/TT4 depending on tune, tires, and weight -- the S2000 is bottom of class TT4 and is really only a decent platform for TT5 outside of regional.

Anyway, :words:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 4, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a list of containment seats somewhere that allow you to sit really low without the floor drop kit?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Balls, those things look uncomfortable but I've never sat in one before to see. NASA takes points for the floor cut (come the gently caress on, Greg)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
At the floor cut thing? :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

yeah, i've never dealt with greg but i know a lottttttttt of people who have

I hear that. The car also has those Singular vents that are illegal because of the gurney flap :hmmyes:

Diametunim posted:

How tall are you Mk4 and are you going to do W2W in the car? If you're tall at all your only options are drop pan or bolting the seat to the floor.

As someone who is 6'2 I've been struggling to fit a racing seat in their miata without modifying the chassis I haven't had much luck.

I'm about to try mounting a Sparco QRT R to a set of PCI fixed mounts and if that doesn't work my next best option is to remove the rear humps and bolt to the floor. I can't bring myself to put a drop in my miata.

If neither of those things pan out I'm buying a 350z

I'm 5'8" and it'll be w2w'd. I just looked and the rear humps have already been removed. Interesting thing is my S2000 has a Sparco Circuit, same as this car. I guess there was a revision, the seats are different sizes and the seat padding is easily 2x as thick in the Miata one. Probably just test swap the S2000 Circuit into the car if I need more space than the seat pad swap gave me, we will see.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is bolted on top of the crossmember in the front and to the floor in the rear.

After sitting in a couple of SMs yesterday I can confirm that I was just spoiled with headroom before. In my car I've got an inch above my helmet to the roof skin, can tilt my head wherever forward/right, and hit the cage padding if I tilt my head left about an inch. I'm still going to work on sitting lower, but it was basically the same case in the other two cars.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is anyone pretty familiar with tuning BP4Ws? Just want a lookover in terms of how conservative it is, it is set up to make a flat 220whp from 5.5k to 7.5k

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Diametunim posted:

If you're on Facebook I'd recommend throwing these tables up on the Miata Turbo group and Miata-DIY group.

Thanks, I'll give it a try there. I avoided posting a new thread on MT for obvious reasons :v:

e: posted in MT Facebook group, hopefully I don't get shanked

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 2, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Could someone post a picture of their NB Miata of the area between the trunk opening and the quarter panel? Is it basically flat as the drip rail heads back to the tail lights or is there some kind of curve to it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Wrar posted:

If Mathlete doesn't get it I will.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Any good to you? I can get more if neccessary.

https://ibb.co/album/s5FPhB

Yesss, thank you both, that is perfect. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hankook RS4

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a difference between the long rear lower control arm bolt between NA/NB?

The ones I took off my car (NB) have a fine thread pitch, and the ones I was given by someone else came with nuts but both are coarse thread so I am guessing they are NA (?). I assume they are interchangeable, right? I see Treasure Coast has you select NA or NB so now I am second guessing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Leave the airbag in the car unless it is a track car and you're doing the entire safety system in one shot. Proper seat, 6pt harness, roll bar, HANS, steering wheel.

4pt are generally a joke, but if you for some weird reason must have one buy a Schroth ASM and leave the airbag in the car unless you want to be dead or pooping into a bag for the rest of your life.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know if the NB2 blue/white wire on the ABS module is the right one to switch for an ABS toggle? It seems to connect to a 10a fuse in the passenger compartment fuse box.

I'm not real keen on splicing into the large 15a white/red wire.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sold, thank you for confirming :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rhyno posted:

Isn't it the same one used in the S2000?

No, they are variations of the Aisin AZ6 and aren't interchangeable / don't have many swappable parts. Also included in the shared list are the RX8, FRS/BRZ, Altezza, S15 Silvia, etc.

I briefly looked into it when I realized my car makes enough power to shred the 6spd.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 7, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Can confirm still handles with 15x10s

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
While not entirely applicable to the posted question, my gripe about 15's is that if you want to run a 245 you get:
Hoosier A7/R7
Hankook RS4 (forever backorder)
Maxxis RC1 V1
Toyo RR
Nankang AR1
Nankang CR1
BFG Rival S

The AR1, RR, RS4, and RC1 are all fairly similar lap time wise, based on what 949 has said, but you don't get the current fast stuff like the A052 / RT660 or even the current version of the RC1 so you're kinda hamstrung if you're bound by classing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TrueChaos posted:

I haven't had any trouble getting these, they're excellent.

Perhaps it is a recent thing, they are unobtanium right now. If you find a set let me know, I'll swipe a card

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah they do yearly production runs and once they're out they're out till next year it seems. Typically come in around March-April, though who knows with COVID. I can check with my tire guy if you want and are willing to pay to ship from Canada.

I appreciate the offer, unfortunately I think the extra shipping would probably kill the savings entirely :(

Hopefully we hear something soon.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TrueChaos posted:

Turns out he's all out at the moment anyway, more are expected end of march early april.

Excellent, thank you!

What vendors other than SADFab sell a rear upper knuckle spherical setup? It is basically impossible to get ahold of SADFab right now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Where are you supposed to look up Mazda competition part numbers? This is all I see on the site for comp parts

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Competition parts

I have access to both on the site, I was hoping to browse available parts rather than just googling for what I need and pasting part numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm ordering comp RUCA-O bushings and a bunch of non-comp parts.

I don't NEED anything else, I just wanted to see what is available

e: oh, that opened it up, thank you

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 19, 2021