Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
If you think an 06-07 is worth anywhere near 7k, you're not looking hard enough.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5942274657.html

The linked one is a bit rough, but you can score them pretty easily in better shape for 4.5-5.5k . NC values are going through the floor.

destructo fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

puberty worked me over posted:

Further curious about the silly Miata prices here are that for most people they're only driven 1/2 of the year.
It's almost as if there's less supply of a thing which isn't as attractive in a given locale.

Also :lol: at even mentioning KBB.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
NBs are holding value much better than the NC. The NC is just a straight dive into zero.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

:laffo: mazdausa sent me a hefty brass keychain because the miata won two awards

keychain might be good for clutching like a roll of quarters while punching a :godwinning:, otherwise i'mma recycle it
REDEEM FOR ONE (1) FREE MANUAL TRANSMISSION

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Wibla posted:

I think I might be dealing with faulty heater hoses too... or something else fishy.
</ramble> Any ideas?
Thermostat.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Easier to install a real water temp gauge.
Pretty dumb in a DD. The correct answer is he fixes his problem and stops caring about it.

Edit: And all the gauges you linked are trash.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

signalnoise posted:

So definitely get the tools, and yeah crutchfield has decent prices, free shipping, and free bonus gear. I'll definitely buy from them.

I was also thinking of adding all the poo poo it's missing. Power locks, for example, a backup camera, that kind of stuff. I plan to do as much on this car by myself as I can, and make it my baby. Is there any kind of aftermarket poo poo I just should not do on my own and leave it to a pro?
Wait, you can get an NC with manual locks?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

craig588 posted:

15 inch wheels also open you up to a much wider selection of big brake options.
Which have no real practical application for almost everyone in this thread.

Bought a spare VVT head so it looks like my plan to spend $3000 to make another 25 horsepower is a go.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

-Inu- posted:

I did the impossible guys! I blew a miata motor! Evidently the breaking point is running it for 3 months with no oil (no, I don't want to talk about how big of an idiot I am).

Anyway, I'm shopping for new engines now. I've got a '90 - how much extra work is it to swap a 1.8 in? I don't have an engine hoist, so a swap is going to be an annoying process of mooching off friends regardless. Alternatively, what's a reasonable price for a motor swap on these cars (be it 1.6 or 1.8)? Rspeed is right down the road from me, so I'd probably have them do it, even though it will probably cost a few bucks more. But if I'm already paying someone to do it, I'd rather not have to gently caress around with people unfamiliar with these cars.
Swap in a 99+ motor and thank me later.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

How far can you push a 1.8 VVT motor if you did PnP w/ the VVT controller before you start getting into internals? Any magic combinations of things besides header / exhaust?
150whp corrected on a Dynojet with I/H/E for a VVT with EMS. It's a pretty fun time. Racing Beat header, K&N intake (or if you get fancy, the 3d printed over-the-rad donger). MS3Basic.

I'm throwing 264/264 cams in mine this spring along with a head shave & some valvetrain work. Shooting for 170.

destructo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 24, 2017

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

TurboDrizzle posted:

Funny you should ask, the slowest placed time in STR, in fact! :downs: I was in the 46s range on 2 runs but i was being very aggressive and hit cones. thats the (1) icon by the time. I think my lines were good, like you said "coast city" becuase any time i breathed on the gas it spun up the rears and slid.

1996 1.8, 15X8 +25 205/50/15 Dunlop Direzza DZ102 (a daily driving summer tire, hard as plastic) Axis OG-San, Flyin Miata Vmaxx coilovers and Front and Rear sway bars, R package tie rod ends, all new top hats, underflooor braces, HDHCSD Roll bar, Sparco Sprint seat, GoodWinRacing Roadstersport 3 mid pipe and exhaust, a swapped-in Type II 4.3 Torsen and some mild weight reduction all around. (little poo poo like everything in the trunk, no center console).
None of those mods are anywhere near what you'd want to be competitive in any class the Miata runs decently in. The cheap ticket is tossing your swaybars in the trash and buying the NA tubular RB bar & RE71s.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

TurboDrizzle posted:

Not much about my car is legal for STR to be honest :). As soon as i cut my floors to put in the underfloor bracing (to make the car comfortable on the highway) i think i should be put with the windshieldless CSP cars. A 1.8 car with a torsen is also not legal, and the NB Steering wheel i installed.

But Motherfuck aspie autocross classing rules, my car is STR because it makes sense to me. (and judging by placing nearly last in class, i dont feel too bad about the cheating). Ill worry about legality when i get enough seat time for people to start complaining
I think you mean DP, not CSP. Underfloor bracing is a complete and utter waste of time. I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish but if you want to stiffen the chassis, buy door bars. It won't make you any faster but it'll save you a bunch of time not destroying your car.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
If that's the goal, buy door bars from HD and shim your door bushings.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Neither compound being offered in 245 is a competitive autocross tire. Running 275 Hoosiers and playing with any decently prepped CSP field will mean you'll still be sitting at the back with a lighter wallet.

If you actually want to be competitive with your list of mods for cheap, go remove all the poo poo that isn't compliant and go play in E-Street. You'll be down at least 10-15hp from the 99 Sports, but it's the least bad option you have at this point.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'm kinda joking, but in all seriousness, I would make the argument that for pure track use variable valve timing of any sort is wasted effort. Spending 5 minutes looking at Miata VVT tables, I'm seeing most going to a fixed value over about 4500-5k RPM at WOT - there's nothing that telling VVT to go to a given advance will do compared to having the cam just degreed there.

But I think in terms of pure track use so grains of salt and all that.
The other half of Phone's post, not explicitly stated, but alluded to in the linked post, is that the BP05 is trash and even if you skip VVT, you're still much better off with a BP4W head at the very least. That's where the 10-12 ftlbs will come from over the whole range.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
There is no value in low comp OEM pistons. Both the BP4W and BP6D (9.5, 10:1 respectively) will easily hit the stock block torque limit under boost, while spooling significantly quicker/making more power with less restriction.

The only good thing I can think of that a BP05 has is a predrilled oil port on the driver's side.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Elysium posted:

Ok so let's say someone was changing the CAS o-ring, and after taking out the CAS, accidentally rotated the thing inside the CAS they say you shouldn't rotate before marking its position. How the gently caress would this person get the CAS back on?

Just put it back in and reset the timing once you get it started again. If it won't start, rotate it one way or the other until it does.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Elysium posted:

I meant like literally, physically, how the gently caress do I get it back in, blind? Just keep rotating the bar like 1 degree at a time and hope it slides into the tiny rear end slots that aren't beveled?
Yup, exactly. It's not that bad.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

Thinking of suspension stuff, who's building Xidas nowadays? I know they have an excellent reputaton but I can't help but think that Penske doubles would have a bit more potential for tuning.
Tractive.

Also another vote to skip the FM sways. Buy the RB tubular.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

I bought a really big Miata last weekend.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

craig588 posted:

Fat Cat is definitely above Vmaxx and might be below Fox (never ridden in a car with Fox). KYB is below stock, but higher than china or blown out stock.
If you pay $2000 for nonadjustable steel body Bilsteins, well, :S

the spyder posted:

Tell me more...
55k, touring package, single owner. All the reliability mods are done, but it's still likely to bankrupt me. Turns out not everything is as easy and cheap as Miatas are :smith:.

That being said it is goddamn gorgeous.

destructo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 16, 2017

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Drive one before you buy. That fat pig is the opposite of Miata Life™.
He could pick up a 986 and not be too far off an NC, those (986) are ~2800lbs

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
I'm pretty NVH sensitive -- a buddy of mine has a set of poly diff mounts in his NA and it doesn't really feel/sound any worse than mine. That being said both of our cars are reasonably loud, so who knows where your level of comfort is. I don't mind loud exhausts as long as they don't drone constantly. I can't loving stand squeaks/rattles/etc, and this had none of that.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Wibla posted:

Where can I get decently priced spark plug wires that actually work as good as / better than OEM (very expensive, at least in norway)? :ohdear:
Order from amayama.com?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've driven a bunch of NAs and NBs, and after having two NAs, give me an NB any day. It's way more livable without the 60mph shimmy, the brake feel is far superior, and the 6-speed (where available) is super nice. The chassis also feels generally much stiffer.
All of these things (save for the stiffer chassis) are just maintenance issues and not anything to do with the car itself. 99-00 6-speeds feel like garbage, 01-up feel better but if I didn't have to do the work again I'd swap out my 02 6-speed in my 1990 with a nice 5-speed any day.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ionn posted:

In what way do they feel worse? Some other people have said something similar, but others say all NB 6-speed gearboxes are identical, the only difference being the diff (thorsen or open, and different ratios).
This is a pretty vague thing to write, but the shift feel is.. less precise? You can find the actual VIN cutoff somewhere on the Mazdaspeed Mtotorsports store page. I forget. I can say with certainty that not all NB 6-speeds are identical.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

snack soul posted:

Finally got some good weather today, and my sphereology knob came in, so I took the new NA up to the lake for a (lousy phone camera) photo.

Aside from a few minor cosmetic issues, and a slightly melted door seal, it seems to be in fantastic shape for a '90. I still love my RF to death but I'm coming around on the openness of the soft top.

First thing I plan to do is rebuild the shifter. Any thoughts on the 5X Racing shifer rebuild kit w/ the bronze bushing replacement?
If you don't have access to the Mazda Motorsports Store it's a decent deal. The bronze bushing doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Went to Nats and got our asses kicked. Car is pretty well prepped (rebuilt motor, made low 120s dynojet, xidas, 2008 lbs, etc), but neither me nor my codriver had any inkling as to how big or fast the courses would be. Back to Lincoln next year for sure.

ACTUALLY THE REAL PROBLEM WASN'T LACK OF TALENT, BUT THAT WE WERE RUNNING BRIDGESTONES :v

destructo fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 9, 2017

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

craig588 posted:

Is it just the angle of the photo or do people run like 5 degrees of camber there?

Pretty much. 3-4 degrees in front, bit less in the back. Can't speak for the Hondas.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

What class did you run? I have a few friends, two of which placed in their classes - one in CS and one in SM. Also know the irish sounding dude in a red nb running in STR who got smoked, but I'm usually close to his times so it's nice to have a benchmark :v:
STS for the two of us. What a riot.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
There's a bunch of winning STS Civics for sale on RRAX right now..

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

craig588 posted:

Winter tires or summer tires? Winter tires I wouldn't give it a second thought, summer tires makes it odd. My thought if it was summer tires was it getting driven hard enough to crack alloys and then getting dumped after who knows what stress on the drivetrain. Steel winter wheels are a pretty common thing to not ruin your performance wheels and you're not trying to performance drive in the winter so the cheapest option usually makes sense.
Uh, what? I wouldn't touch any Miata with winter tires/steelies on it unless it was garbage tier pricing. You're way better off finding OEM Miata wheels that might not be a match for your year/package than that.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Voltage posted:

Jesus christ it is impossible to change the clutch with how little my lovely harbor freight jack lifts the car up, i cant even flip around under it and I've spent all goddamn day working on it didnt even drop the tranny yet. Im only like 3 clicks on my stands :(. I'm still gonna quit until I get a new jack I think.

Just sucks since the PO had a shop do the clutch before i bought it but they hosed it up since the RMS is leaking all over the clutch and casuing horrible chuddering. I drained trans the fluid and it looked brand new :(
Ugh, that is some bullshit. It's almost easier to pull the motor vs doing it in-situ depending on how modified the car is and what accessories you have.

Go buy this

http://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/RAPID+PUMP+3+TON+LOW+PROFILE+HEAVY+DUTY+STEEL+FLOOR+JACK

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

I finally got my front end donor car in to take care of my NA that had a slight incident last year... it's always something.

Donor car has 66k and is absolutely pristine besides the trunk being bashed in. If anyone in the MN area is looking for a 1.6 rollerskate.. let me know.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Pinch weld height?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

um excuse me posted:

Someone buy this drat car.

100% STOCK except used to be a taxi and was repainted accordingly.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

your 15 to 21 year old car has 10 to 16 years worth of deferred maintenance

e: you also didn't answer my question about the undertray
e2: did you just fill the entire thing with antifreeze with no water?
IDK I'd probably just see if an NC radiator cap does it. Already tried NA and NB.

Seriously just do a full TB/wp/radiator job. It's like $200 for all of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Finally replaced the worn surfboard bottom in my NA. Hog rings are awful.

destructo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 7, 2022