Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

vanov posted:

I listened to tons of metal before Converge and still had problems getting into his vocals. I still have problems on certain albums, Jane Doe being one of them. I really don't think I'll ever like that album.

Yeah, I just meant you've probably been exposed to harsher vocal styles so it'd help the transition. But yeah, he sounds absolutely demented and legitimately like a torture victim at times. It's eerie.

I was reading a review earlier today and the guy was talking about how some people doubted they'd be able to one-up Axe to Fall (weird seeing as they've never put out a stinker and 3 years between is par for the course for them...). He had a great quote that can sum up the album pretty well: "Having formed once again as a violent anarchistic Voltron, Converge will lay waste to your doubts and stand upon the bones of those who vied for their throne."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Kevar posted:

The "Run on" screams right near the end of the song "Jane Doe" are the best thing ever. I was on a plane that hit turbulence (plane dropped significantly, if I hadn't been holding my ipod it would have hit the ceiling) RIGHT as that part kicked in on my headphones and it's still the craziest adrenaline rush I've ever had. That album is such an emotional ride and I don't think anything is ever going to top it as my "favorite album."

I've still never see them play it though, which sucks. I have seen them play The Saddest Day, so there's that.

Despite what I said it's still a pretty incredible album. The last 4 songs, Thaw excluded (Heaven in her Arms, Phoenix in Flight/Flames and Jane Doe), are some of Converge's best work.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I gotta be honest that AWLWLB is the first album where I've felt like Converge was kind of coasting at times. I still really like more than half of it, and I don't know if the bonus tracks were just remixed or fully re-recorded but they sound loving great.

Do you mean from their original recordings? I haven't heard any of the originals or the ones with the deluxe edition so I can't compare.

edit: after listening to a supposedly high quality rip of On My Shield on youtube I'm guessing they've been remixed or re-recorded since the vocals are muddy as hell

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 5, 2012

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

The riff in "Sadness Comes Home" is so loving good.

Probably my favourite individual riff on the album at the moment.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

An hour on Facebook, Rinoa posted "Next year . . ."

I am cautiously optimistic.

That would own, Fire in the Distant North was my jam for a while

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

New Normal owned, can't wait for this new song(s).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Since they're never ever coming to Canada this isn't really a problem I'm having

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Topshelf is usually my go-to. I have a whole pile of pins, stickers, posters and permanent discounts that they've thrown in just because.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Got the download of the PBTT/TA split and it came with a song from Caravels and Octaves, too. Neat.

Hah that Caravels song is off their split with Gifts From Enola. Caravels also rarely disappoints.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

alg posted:

Everything they have ever done is great.

I am pretty sure their upcoming full length is gonna sound pretty different.

Good or bad? I haven't heard any of the newer stuff and from what you said before I'm assuming it's good.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

alg posted:

I am assuming, here. This is them playing "new material" 6 months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YBYot_Fym4

I wasn't too into it, but we'll see, I will definitely buy the album anyway.

I actually like this stuff for the most part but it's always hard to judge when the vocals are barely in the mix. That second song is also off the split I mentioned, it's called "Sagen Genesis".

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

7lip posted:

TOQUE! :argh:

Also, those are rad.

Tuque :colbert:

yeah I was about to post this.

Those are all great, and now I'm gonna have to put in a second order in as many days. :argh:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

lmbo I actually got around to watching part of that just now and yeah, :stare:

Anyway for whatever reason, a couple months back I guess I must've misplaced my copy of Suis La Lune's Riala but I found it again and holy moly that album owns. Been listening to that all week.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Man, I want to see Direct Hit! live :(

bleedbackwards posted:

New Reign Supreme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDE0AUt_dJY

A little disjointed in the beginning but picks up a little over a minute in.

what the gently caress is it with metalcore and misogyny

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt really :raise: about that first verse (I turned it off after that because it was poo poo, so I can't comment on the rest.)

I could tell the lyrical content was really going places after "so blind that you can't see" but that kind of poo poo has always really bothered me, and it's quite parasitic these days.

Also I'm excited for the possibility of a new Doomriders.

e: why the gently caress did I sleep on Self Defense Family so long

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 17, 2013

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

alg posted:

I don't really know about any of these bands besides Code Orange Kids, who I really want to see.

H2O
TERROR
BACK TRACK
CODE ORANGE KIDS

Is it safe to say COK will open, so I can leave after that?

I don't know Back Track but yeah probably

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Hooooooly poo poo Topshelf is offering their full back catalog for pay-what-you-want. Just DL'd all the Prawn/Saddest Landscape stuff I've been meaning to get.

Bandcamp: http://topshelfrecords.bandcamp.com/

Anything else I should pick up?

Pianos Become the Teeth
We Were Skeletons
Cut Teeth
Caravels
Suis La Lune
Full of Hell/Code Orange Kids split

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I hope so too, saw this earlier on Facebook.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Yup :allears:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

fyallm posted:

So I finally got the courage to ask this because I don't really care if you call me out for being whatever the term is, but is this the correct place to talk about : Senses Fail, Silverstein / other screamo / Post hardcore places? If not, is there anywhere on the forums to discuss this?

There, probably: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3268377

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

alg posted:

New Caravels album destroys. Can't wait to get the vinyl copy.

They posted up tour dates:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/caravels/midwest-east-coast-tour-2013/10151578062091468

Got mine yesterday :getin:

Thought it'd take way longer to ship up north. And yeah, it owns!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Suis La Lune reminds me Raein, too.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Amanda Woodward, Mihai Edrisch, Belle époque and Celeste are all great French bands. Celeste is impressively oppressive, especially if you understand the language.

I think Celeste's releases are all free from their label? I think it's Denovali, but I'm phone posting so I can't be sure.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I don't think they're still around, I was mostly commenting on French screamo. Sorry for the confusion!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Funeral Radio

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Punk in Drublic would be mine as well, but I just don't like skatepunk as much as I used to, either.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Why not just post here? It's not like we're going through 5 pages a day

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

People here like all sorts of poo poo, I wouldn't really make assumptions about that. I mean if you really want a new thread, then by all means go for it! I just don't see what's wrong with just using this one, seeing as it's already tagged as such and it's slow-moving, and always has been. We've had /emo/hardcore/pop-punk/punk/crust tangents before. People aren't that ADD that they can't follow topics in a thread which gets a new page per week/month.

No one's ever been talked down for talking punk in the punk thread unless it's scene stuff, which just gets redirected to the scene thread. It's just weird because every so often people will come in and say, "hey can we talk about this or create a new thread?" And instead of just going ahead and saying what they wanted to say, they're afraid it's not the right place for it for whatever reason, even if the title says that's what the thread is for.

Just talk about what you want to talk about and see if conversation picks up! I just don't really see the value in splintering a discussion group that's already one of the thinnest on the forums :)

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

PrinceRandom posted:

I was listening to RIVIR recently, and I was wondering how many other Hardcore bands out there with female vocalists and/or musicians are there?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

You'd probably like Gaza and Full of Hell.

The Full of Hell and COK split was really, really good.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

So, this is looking to be a pretty sweet fall for tours...

A band I really enjoy is doing Ottawa :aaaaa:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

HATEPOSTING posted:

thats local to me. the lineup is always a joke, mall metal and old bands no one cares about anymore featuring a few good hardcore bands (and mostly only tough guy poo poo). last year was a clusterfuck with over 50 000 attending in a town of barely 1000

edit : that flyer reminded me ignite were a thing. last time i saw em the guitarist called someone a human being and everyone turned on them.

IIRC small local bands had to sell way too many tickets to even be allowed to play, and also yea the people who attended last year absolutely trashed the small town that hosts it

a lot of people i know want to go out of nostalgia for the bands going and i can't help thinking i'd be super stoked to go when i was 14 a decade ago

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

stay depressed posted:

use the indie rock thread to talk about trash poo poo bands please thank you very

It's cool as hell that this thread is just as approachable as it used to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

I helped a girl find her glasses on the floor at the Emery / Norma Jean show last night. This was after I stage dove into her general area. I asked if she was ok and she said yes.

I'm a stand-up guy I hope JM approves.

Joyce Manor is as relevant to the type of shows you go to as a fuckin jazz band from Peru, who cares and please stop posting about it