Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Two sci-fi books I read when I was a kid and then they got ripped up and discarded by some family members due to Family Drama.

One was about how Earth was being deliberately kept in a state of political chaos and disorder as a "farming ground" for extra-terrestrial agents of some kind. Like, all the hardship of living on earth was being kept in place to raise a crop of "street tough' agents or something. The characters had been recruited from Earth to be part of this agency and were getting some kind of advanced mental training.

The second book was similar, earth was being kept in a state of political chaos and disorder as a virtual playground for alien voyeurs, who were essentially dialing into the viewpoints of various Earthlings so as to experience the horrors of Earthly existence vicariously.

They may have been by the same author; I think they were marketed as a pair but I can't clearly remember. Any ideas? This was back in the 80's so my memory's more than fuzzy. I haven't ever run across them since, so they may be a bit esoteric.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Engelbrecht posted:

The first one just might be Jack Chalker's A Jungle of Stars, but I read it so long ago I'm not sure.

I don't *think* so, but I could be wrong. I don't think the recruited "agents" actually died on earth, I think they were Missing Person'd. I think they got taught like psychic teleportation and telepathy and how to attack other people with their minds, and earth people were good candidates because all the hardship meant that the earthlings whose minds weren't "broken" had tougher, more resilient minds for that kind of telepathic warfare. There were like training levels and a level 4 was stronger than a level 3 but the training for level 4 broke some people who'd been effective level 3's. Or something like that.

Both of them were really hippy dippy trippy, like "THIS is why we all can't just get along! ALIENS!" I think they had sixties-ish / seventies-ish covers, too, with big swirling patterns, though I could be wrong on that point also.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zeth posted:

Looking for a sci-fi book of some sort- found it in my library's new paperbacks section sometime between 2000 and 2004 I think (though I could be wrong). It was about a guy with a suit of armor of some sort that was a possibly-intelligent symbiotic thing. There may have been some psychological issues involved, and I think the armor may have needed to feed off the guy in some way in order to keep living/working properly.

Was it a situation where the main character had deliberate self-inflicted amnesia & had locked away his memories in a "lockbox" sorta thing, which he could choose to break if he wanted, but Bad Stuff might happen? If so, could've been the Golden Age series by John C. Wright -- Golden Age , The Phoenix Exultant, The Golden Transcendence. They date to about 2002-2004.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Two sci-fi books I read when I was a kid and then they got ripped up and discarded by some family members due to Family Drama.

One was about how Earth was being deliberately kept in a state of political chaos and disorder as a "farming ground" for extra-terrestrial agents of some kind. Like, all the hardship of living on earth was being kept in place to raise a crop of "street tough' agents or something. The characters had been recruited from Earth to be part of this agency and were getting some kind of advanced mental training.

The second book was similar, earth was being kept in a state of political chaos and disorder as a virtual playground for alien voyeurs, who were essentially dialing into the viewpoints of various Earthlings so as to experience the horrors of Earthly existence vicariously.

They may have been by the same author; I think they were marketed as a pair but I can't clearly remember. Any ideas? This was back in the 80's so my memory's more than fuzzy. I haven't ever run across them since, so they may be a bit esoteric.

SO nobody has any idea on these ? =(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I finally figured these out. Wine of the Dreamers and Ballroom of the Skies by John D. McDonald.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Holy poo poo, the guy who wrote "The Trouble with Tribbles" did his own SF series? Is it any good?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Engelbrecht posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone dim enough to try and get a class of 16-year-olds to read it either, but from the description it's pretty much got to be that. It'd be great stuff if you were all 10, but it's not the kind of kids' book that older people will appreciate for any other reason than nostalgia.

Yeah, that one was all kinds of awesome in 8th grade, but if you're reading it later, you're reading it as a children's book or you aren't going to enjoy it. Absolutely bizzare assignment for an honors level high school course.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
edit: beaten, nvm

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I've got two.

First is pretty simple. A short story that was in one of my gradeschool literature books. A young man/boy from a primitive tribe ventures out into the "Land of the Gods", but he's smart and soon realizes that it's simply a ruined city from modern civilization before something ruined everything. I remember a good line about how they "made the night as day for their own amusement".

There are a few stories on this theme, by the most likely is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By_the_Waters_of_Babylon

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Maybe Slan by A.E. van vogt.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Karthe posted:

I checked out a SciFi book from a local library years ago, back when I was just starting high school. The book went throughout space and time, jumping between different people and their stories - I never finished the book to see how they all tied together. I can only remember bits and pieces of the various stories, though. I remember there was a ship that played a prominent role in the story, and it could travel long distances in a short amount of time; I think it played a part in a few peoples' stories as the ship exchanged hands throughout history. Blackholes or wormholes or something like that also reoccurred - maybe it was related to the ship?

I also remember the cover was a dark red and featured a spaceship on it, though I can't remember anything more specific about its look.

God, that's such a generic description. I'm never going to find this book again :cry:

I'm going to guess it was one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. Was it funny?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Was there any magic/sorcery involved? Sounds vaguely like the House With a Clock in its Walls series by John Bellairs, but I don't think those were ever made into films.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CherryCat posted:

I'm not sure I have enough details to find this but you never know. I'm looking for a childrens book, most likely from the early 90's with an almost Celtic art style. All I remember of the story is that there was a girl who I think was called Oona, a tower on a cliff and something to do with stars. I've been looking for this for years since I remember loving the illustrations as a kid.

A quick google says "The Magician's Tower" (An Oona Crate Mystery) by Shawn Thomas Odyssey.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

regulargonzalez posted:

Couple of sci-fi short stories I'm trying to remember. I think both are relatively well-known; not Hugo winners, but Hugo nominee type of deal.

1) Want to say this one is from the 80s. Humans make first contact with aliens somewhere in outer space, our rocket finds their rocket or w/e. Communication is achieved via first principles of math and going from there. Everyone likes everyone and seems to have the best intentions, but neither side can be 100% certain what will happen afterwards; while the other side seems friendly, maybe one side will track the other side back to their homeworld so they can eventually invade it or w/e. But do like and trust each other but not enough to risk their species. The solution is: They disable anything that could track the other ship in their own ship, and then swap ships. They're still taking a risk that the other side doesn't make their own ship blow up, but at least they're only risking themself and not their entire species
Probably makes no sense due to all the 'them' and 'themselves' but you'll know it if you've read it I'm sure.

First Contact by Murray Leinster. 1945, so predates the Hugo, but is in a lot of short story collections. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Contact_(novelette)

quote:

2) 80s or maybe 70s. Humans exploring a planet, there is life on it! Maybe intelligent?! (Think this may be humans first contact as well). I think it's described as being a big bird looking thing, at least I always pictured it as something like a weird emu. Anyway the creature is clearly intelligent but the problem is that the species not only can't understand each other, they can't even comprehend what the other one is doing. So the human is holding up his hands in a gesture of peace or something, the alien-bird thing is doing stuff like jumping 100 meters in one direction and then another and both sides seem confused that their intentions aren't immediately clear to the other side.

Haha, this one is reaching back A Martian Oddyssey by Stanley Weinbaum, 1934.

Both of these short stories are in the collection The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol. 1, which is a collection of the best SF short stories written prior to the beginning of the Hugo Awards, as voted on by the SFWA. You should buy it if you like this kind of thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sri.Theo posted:

I'm looking for a Winnie the pooh book that contains this quote:

Everyone attributes it to AA Milne but I'm unsure which book its from, would love the help!

Searching google books doesn't turn up the direct quote anywhere except in "chicken soup for the soul" books, though there is an alternate attribution to various versions of the musical Annie.

I suspect it's a false quotation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Popular Human posted:

Hey, this is really vague, but I remember reading a sci-fi/fantasy thing (a novella, maybe?) some time ago that was cool. It was about this group of people who make golems, except they're not really called golems, I think. They write symbols and commands on long strips of paper, and this makes things they've created follow rudimentary commands. I remember there were some people who were good at building the machines and some who were good at writing the commands, and there was some special term for the commands I can't remember. The plot involved a dispute between the protagonist and one of the other, more senior command-makers regarding the ethics of creating a command machine complex enough to think on it's own. Any takers?

That sounds like an exact description of Terry Pratchett's Feet of Clay except that that book is straight fantasy, not SF at all, and is a full-length novel,and they're actually called golems. So I guess not that close after all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Grey posted:

This book was about civilation that had moved underground for some reason. It had kind of a City of Ember-like plot, only the main character was a typical sci-fi tough guy. I remember him working his way upward through the underground levels. It ends with him emerging from an underground portal on to the surface, so I think it may have been the first book in a series.

This was a mass market paperback I read in the 90's. The cover had a drawing of a guy crouched down while entering the surface with steam around him. I think he may have been holding a sword.

I'll be amazed if someone gets this, but plenty of other goons have been amazed with the accurate responses to their vague descriptions...

Maybe The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster? Probably not though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What's that book about people living on a wall? Vertically.

It's... well it's a big loving wall, and they live on it. I can't remember more than that.

It's been published probably within the last 5 years or so.

Stone and Sky by Graham Edwards? It's been lurking on my to-read list for a few years now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Another story that I'm looking for is even stranger. It was by Poe, and it followed a group of people in some faraway deserted building, perhaps a church or monastery? There was something terrible outside, and it was about to come in. The strange thing here is that I remember reading it, but lately have come to doubt if the story actually exists or if I'm mixing things up in my head.

Complete Poe bibliography is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Allan_Poe_bibliography. If you're certain it's by him you should be able to find it in that list. Just click the links to each story in turn till you find it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
This may be the most generic description of a book I've ever posted. Don't know why it sprang to mind.

A children's book with watercolor art about a horse that drew a carriage in New York City and was fed with sugar cubes. More than 25 years old.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Trying to remember where I read a passage about how an excess of joy or happiness could destroy one's reason as effectively as an excess of misery. Could have been in Sherlock Holmes, maybe aubrey/maturin, not sure; feels like it was something 19th century.

edit: nevermind pretty sure it's Nutmeg of Consolation or the one before it

quote:

Another remarkable circumstance is, that immoderate joy as effectually disorders the mind as anxiety and grief. For it was observable in the famous South Sea year, when so many immense fortunes were suddenly gained, and as suddenly lost, that more people lost their wits from the prodigious flow of unexpected riches, than from the entire loss of their whole substance. ‘That is something to the point,’ he said, ‘but what I really want is a case of the sudden onset of folie de grandeur.’ He glanced at the measures recommended: diet low but not too low, bleeding of course, cupping, saline purgatives, emetics, camphorated vinegar, the strait waistcoat, blistering the head, chalybeate waters, the cold bath; and closed the book.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 16, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quote:

"It's about a little girl who finds a fairy circle in the woods and a book. She is able to see the fairies fly around. Later you learn that it is because she is given tiny amounts of foxglove. What is really going on is a creepy old man is abducting girls..."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Centripetal Horse posted:

Can the mods send this thread on a tour of GBS, or something? I am sure there are enough people on these forums that this thread needn't go three weeks between replies, but most of them probably don't know it exists.

This is a decent idea and I'm definitely interested in ideas to help this subforum get more traffic.

My concern with bouncing this thread to GBS is that it might just get spammed full of shitposts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Splicer posted:

Tour the other subforums, chickencheese style.

It's on, though I went with the book recommendation thread instead because I thought it might be a little more generally applicable. Everyone please chip in with rec's for all the poor bookless fools out there

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3147139

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I read this within the last few years - maybe part of one of the SF awards packets one or two years ago? The foreigner was chasing a fugitive and ended up swapping masks to trick him at some point or something.

Beaten, but it's in one of the science fiction hall of fame collections, edited by Robert silver beef I think. Absolute classic and highly recommended.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mcustic posted:

I am not familiar with Mr Beef's work

Autocorrect is apparently anti-Semitic

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sperglord posted:

I'm trying to find an online military sci-fi story. The premise is that there is a soldier fighting in a war between humans and alien bugs. The story followed the main character from earth through a series of planets, ending in a final battle in a cave system against the bugs.

The only distinguishing element which I remember was that everyone was given a watch which kept perfect time in every planet, synchronized to the planet's rotational period.

Starship Troopers by Heinlein, or a copycat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

highly recommend reading the top probe in this guy's rap sheet

Hahaha, I'm a-gonna blame the admins for that one

It's hilarious but there's a long delay between when reports get made, seen, queu'd, and approved and that kinda thing happens every so often as a result, largely because the forums coding is miraculously bad

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 8, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mister Kingdom posted:

Trying to remember a comic book story:

A superhero is sent to the nearest habitable planet in suspended animation. While en route, mankind develops FTL travel and, by the time the guy gets there, he's become a laughing stock.

Same thing happens to the protagonist of Zelazny's Isle of the Dead, but several hundred years before the events of the story.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

al-azad posted:

I've only heard about this in passing. It's a Southern gothic short story part of a larger collection about a family traveling through the American south. Their car breaks down and the grandmother tells a story about a murdering highwayman I believe? They bump into the highwayman and his gang who goes by some given name like "the kid", invites the family to stay with him, and then takes the family one by one into the woods to murder them. Basically all I can remember about this!

A good man is hard to find by Flannery O Connor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Based on blurbs/wikipedia/dates, i'm pretty sure this isn't it. But it looks to be on the same level, and is available in my library's ebook collection, so I have checked it out.

Important: the people are NOT in virtual reality. They are literally bodily humans in sustenance pods within giant spider robots.

Yeah, at least one of the books you're talking about is either Creatures of Light and Darkness by Roger Zelazny or a book that copied from it wholesale.

The giant spider pod bots are from somewhere else though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Oh good, so a thing I can actually re-read and probably enjoy. Awesome! And thank you!

My dad might still have the group-mind in spider-tanks one, so if no one recognizes it, I can at least look for it over Christmas.

Creatures of Light and Darkness is great but it's by far Zelazny's weirdest book. Like, he wrote it basically as a gag as his first novel while he was working at the Social Security administration, and it's wildly experimental and bizarre. Almost every chapter is in a different format -- one's a play, one's a lyric poem, one's a prophecy, etc.

Zelaznys' a great author but you might want to start with Lord of Light or Isle of the Dead first as they're much more coherent. Creatures isn't really trying to be coherent, just interesting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Worlds_Collide ? Probably not though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Barto posted:

I'm looking for a book I read as a child about 20 years ago.

If I remember correctly,

(1) the author was a priest who eventually died in a concentration camp
(2) the author might have been Polish (?)
(3) the story was about a kingdom, a young child becomes king
(4) somehow he decides that all the adults and children should switch positions
(5) this ends in a disaster, and the child king is exiled

Does anyone know which book this is?

From google, I'm guessing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Matt_the_First

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I've got another easy one. This is probably Googleable, but I hate to see this thread be so stagnant.

There's an old science fiction story where a person is kidnapped by a mysterious being or beings, and plopped down on some foreign landscape, and given instructions he has to follow. There's a lot of, "Walk forward fifty steps, then turn sharply left," and, "This place does not obey the physical laws of your world..." The being giving the instructions often refers to previous victims of this treatment, and encourages the person by telling him the last person didn't make it this far, and so on. It quickly becomes obvious that the person is being used as a living chess piece in a game being played by higher-dimensional beings, or aliens, or something.

For some reason (probably the chessish theme), this story is making me think of Unicorn Variations by Roger Zelazny, but it is definitely not Unicorn Variations by Roger Zelazny.

Rogue Moon by algis budrys, I think. In the SF hall of fame collection. Except in that he's repeatedly cloning himself to test the alien thingy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I was going to say that isn’t it, because Rogue Moon is a novel, and involves people voluntarily going into the artifact. Then, I went to Wikipedia, and read that a “substantially cut” version was publish in Fantasy and Science Fiction, and included in the Hall of Fame as you mentioned.

I can’t find my copy of the Hall of Fame 1929-1964, and I can’t find the text online, so I don’t know if that’s it, and now it’s bothering me. Holy poo poo, are there a LOOOOOT of scam sites out there pretending to have PDFs for download.

I think you might be right, but I can’t find the novella version to check.

Could it be one of the other short stories in the Zelazny short story collection titled Unicorn Variations?

Google led me to this which I haven't read : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Maze_of_Death and probably isn't it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I'm trying to remember the name of a science fiction short story. The plot revolves around salvagers who make their livings retrieving cast-off metal shells from spacecraft. They live off-world, but I don't remember where. They need water for reaction mass in their ships. They want to be able to reload their water on Earth, but Earth politicians have made a big deal out of the spacers stealing Earth's precious water. I remember there's a bit where they go through the math, and show that zillions of ships using Earth's water for a gajillion years would only amount to some tiny fraction of a percent of Earth's total water, so the objections are horseshit, and purely being used as a political cudgel.

Anyway, they find a giant ice ball in space, and grab it, thus solving their water problems. They snarkily offer to share their water bounty with poor Earth, since Earth is so concerned about running out of water.

"The Martian Way" by Isaac Asimov, you can find it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Science_Fiction_Hall_of_Fame,_Volume_Two

Apparently Asimov intended it as an attack on McCarthyism! but was too subtle

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Esme posted:

This is an episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Also the Fairy Fruit in Lud-in-the-Mist

y'all need to read the bible or something god drat. your nice old preschool teacher didn't teach you to read so you could grow up to read about people getting sexually hosed up from eating centaur meat

Hey, no kinkshaming

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

it's from christina rosetti's the goblin market and its a metaphor for loving

I talked about that in the Lud-in-the-Mist thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hrm. Could it have been one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Gnomes-games...VV877NG8NWE9G0W

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0722656742/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i7

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Gnom...&s=books&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Gnomes-Wil-Huygen/dp/0810916142/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=secrets+of+the+gnomes&qid=1551960723&s=books&sr=1-1

I just searched Amazon for other works by the illustrator of Gnomes.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 7, 2019