Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
*in a very early nineties voice
Get something headless...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

no kidding though, i really wanted a steinberger just because of jerry casale, maybe i should take the plunge

As the owner of a headless Hohner Jack bass, the only annoying thing about headless, is the strings - stupid double balls. Though you can get string adapters, but no idea how reliable they are.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

*in the Field of Dreams voice
Go the distance...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxwlDFfFrEY

Oh. My. God.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Helianthus Annuus posted:

does anyone play bass left handed the way hendrix plays a righty guitar left handed? seems doable

Mononeon does this. Another one of Prince's bassists did this too, can't remember his name though. He's in the videos for Cream and Peach, from memory.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

SHB-1 from Ignite Amps is pretty good.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Neural DSP has models of Darkglass Microtubes BK7 Ultra and Vintage Ultra which have cab sims too. They're $119 USD but you can get a free trial first. Vintage Ultra is pretty cool.

They also have Parallax, which is more of a visual thing, but that has a cab sim that I think lets you bi amp too. Same price and also a trial period. I'm playing around with this at the moment.

They have others too, but I'm slowly working through the trial periods.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Neural DSP have 30% off their plugins if you're after Parallax or the Darkglass vst plugins.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I got a Behringer U-phoria UM2 for pretty much this reason. Inexpensive and does the job.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Rifter17 posted:

If you are looking for some fun quarantine bass materials to watch, Leland Sklar started a youtube channel with him just playing whatever he wants.

For those who might not be in the know about this fella, he is a big session player who is associated with James Taylor, Joe Jackson, Phil Collins, and many many more as his Wikipedia page will show you.

I started watching a couple videos and he's an...interesting guy. He says that he gets banned from a bunch of online things.

I watched his video on Sussudio - I didn't know he'd played on it. I then watched the music video. He's in it, same beard, same hair, just more colour.

I'll be damned if he wasn't born with that hair and beard.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Huh, that's interesting. If I leave mine plugged in over night, it'll usually drain it. Is that a wiring thing or just a 30 year-old bass thing?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

tarlibone posted:

I don't know, but your experience is the same as mine has been. It's one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of active basses. That, and when I was cutting my teeth back in the day, active electronics were more often than not a gimmick, a bagging point that justified a higher price tag. I was never really impressed with the sound, because it was way too compressed, often too hot, and just kind-of dead sounding. Granted, I never had a really high-end example, and there was some tweaking to your amp and bass you could do to alleviate some of the signal level and compression issues, but still, it wasn't great.

Back then, though, your instrument wouldn't work at all without a battery or two. A lot of active systems now are basically preamps that work with passive pickups and electronics, and the basses even have a passive mode. Maybe those instruments have a very low power draw?

I've got a Hohner Jack bass - which, as far as I can tell, was made in about 1991. I can switch between active and passive, so its not like I have a decorative plank when the battery dies. I usually have the tone set flat and mostly use it for the boost. I occasionally wonder whether it might be better to pull out the pre-amp and just put in some hot passive pick-ups, but that'd be a project for the distant future.

DrChu posted:

I got those figures from this thread which mirrors my experiences with Stingrays: http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-basses/46093-battery-lifetime-result.html

I have a Stingray 4 that's about 30 years old and a more recent 5, and I haven't had to replace the batteries on either in the 5+ years I've owned them. (I also practice way less than two hours per day :()

I don't practice that much either. If I'm careful, the battery lasts for a while, though not years. Of course, I forget to unplug just once...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Cru Jones posted:

How does that even work?

Ric-O-sound on a Rickenbacker or the double outputs Billy Sheehan has on his basses.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Not a 5 string, but one of my basses is set up EBEA. It sounds like drop D tuning, only pitched up a bit. The strings are .105, 70, 60, 40 and it feels really nice.

Interesting, but why?

(Not judging, just curious. I keep my only bass in C standard so I can play Dragonaut whenever I want...)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sansamp DI to the interface, or bass direct into the interface and run a vst amp

There's also a free VST plugin based on the Sansamp so you don't even need the physical thing.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pure steel has more clank and a lot more mids while nickel plated steel is a little bit more balanced. Pure nickel is very mellow, but not as much as flats. Thats the basics of it without diving too deep into each brands jargon of coatings and winding methods.

In my experience the boring old nickel plated steel d'addario sets (the cheap ones) are my favorite balance of price, feel, and longevity. But string brands are all personal preference. I would say "get a bunch and try them out" like guitar strings but since it's $20 to $30 a set for bass strings, I'm gonna suggest doing that over a long period of time

There's a whole bunch of YouTube videos of of people comparing bass strings, which can be helpful to get an idea of the sounds.

I've got La Bella Black Nylon Tapewounds on my bass, cos I love the mellow sound and they're super easy on fingers. Problem is, double ball strings aren't cheap and I had to order from US to Australia, so it was about $40-50 US.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Most importantly, the low C means you can play Dragonaut on it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Are the strings brand new? Sometimes it can take a bit before they settle. I've heard you can tune it, pull the string away from the bass at the twelfth fret and snap it back then retune.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

When you put the strings back on after replacing the bridge, did you make sure the windings on the post are neat with no overlap? I think the the string should go three times around the post to ensure no slippage (my only bass is headless, so it's been a long time since this has been an issue...)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Pick thickness is the darndest thing. I've rarely gone beyond 1mm in all my time, and I've only recently ditched Dunlop nylon for Dunlop tortex 1mm. I'm thinking of trying out that Clayton acetal to see if if a thicker but different material is any different. Ultimately it has to have some edge but still feel a bit flexi for me, too hard causes me pain in my thumb knuckle and muscle so some flex cushions for repeated downstrokes. I do a fai,r bit of up/down stroking as well, it varies with genre and style.

Have a look at Wedgie rubber picks. I have a 5mm hard one (ehhehheh) that sounds like playing with your thumb (not slap) but with a sharper attack.

They make softer ones, which I presume would have more give, but possibly a warmer sound.

You can get packs on eBay with a range of stiffnesses, they're not cheap, but not super expensive and pretty durable.

Edit: here's a demo, not best quality but only bass one I saw:

https://youtu.be/bQNzTRFOWO4

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 18, 2020

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Which zoom is it? I've heard the Darkglass preamp emulator is pretty close to the actual thing.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Shageletic posted:

I posted about it before but i got myself a thumb pick that i play on my forefinger, which leaves my thumb free. I could slap if i wanted to, but I rarely do.

Yeah I agree esp for new players play with pick or no pick, just play.

But I was watching a friend of mine who is a guitarist play bass with his band a few months into playin the instrument and I was wincing because he was trying to play funk bass lines in a very guitarish way with his pick.

At a certain point you have to get comfortable playing with your fingers and a real thump, esp when playing funk or anything like that. It just doesnt sound right unless you've really mastered your pick enough to mimic that sound convincingly.

And you just have to build up those muscles in your playing hand too that only comes from playing fingerstyle. Its not about just playing that style, but I think if you wanna get serious its good to learn both styles.

I started out as an exclusively fingerstyle player, and only recently gotten into the awesomeness of pick playing. And there's certain stuff that only pick playing can do too.

Of course, there's always Bobby Vega:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPzwuiJCSbs

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Solumin posted:

Who are some other good bass YouTubers? It seems like there are dozen of guitar ones (Paul Davids seems pretty cool, for example) but not so much for bass.

I already know Scott's Bass Lessons, but I'm really tired of his video style. A little too much click bait.

There's the Talking Bass dude, who's not too bad, if a bit long winded. Prob different kind of clicky though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I figured that's what you meant, I just like his technique.

In other news, I'm enjoying this guy's enthusiasm for stoner metal riffs:

https://youtu.be/jtW1j6RT1ag

He's super dorky, but just so keen!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I'm not sure which I enjoy more, the opening or the headbanging in front of the wardrobe in the spare room.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

That's pretty sweet - which one is the lipstick humbucker?

Have you tried nylon Tapewounds?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

The bridge has dual lipsticks, which I've never seen on a Dan before; and the neck has a humbucker which is also weird for a Danelectro, not to mention the long scale (34). So it's a bit weird but it sounds good and plays nice so it's all pretty nice. I put a very basic foam mute at the bridge too, for a bit of added thump.

I've never tried nylon tapewounds, but I've heard good things about them so I might try them out at some point - I hear the Fender ones are particularly good, is this true?

Sorry, I meant which part of the video was the bridge pickup tone? I was guessing it was the last bit, but just wanted to check!

I have no idea about Fender, but I have the La Bella black ones on my bass and they've got a nice, warm tone. Easy on the fingers, too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Man, I wish they made those in double ball.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Oooh, I've flicked through the guitar version of this. It looked very promising.

Leotard not included, I guess.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Short of trying to get a particular tone, I'd say play however you feel comfortable. I tend to pluck on the fretboard too, partly because I'm tall, have long monkey arms and wear my bass high and partly because I like the mellower tone I get up there.

If this is when you're sitting down with the bass on your lap, try sitting the butt of the bass between your legs like its a classical guitar. It'll move the space you're aiming to pluck in a better position.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Unless it's a Danelectro.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

ewe2 posted:

That sounds really interesting, I like the idea of a pick with a similar attack to fingers.

I may be mixing up my goons, but are you in Australia? If so, I could mail you one - I got a three pack when I bought mine and I'm unlikely to wear through even one anytime soon.

Also, looking at the prices on ebay, the cheapest is about 4-5 times what I paid last year!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Could you even just have a DI/preamp to plug into the PA and be done with cabinets? That sounds super appealing...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Thats what Id do in this one bar I'd perform in. The sound guy insisted on it, but I still had a small teeny amp behind me so I could hear.

Worked pretty well and gave the sound guy alot of control over the sound.

The Science Goy posted:

I do this sometimes now, going straight from pedalboard to PA. With a HX Stomp on my board, I can emulate amps/cabs or use an impulse response for cabsim, while having no amp or cab onstage.

My band uses wireless in-ears, and that rack is basically the size of a 115 or 210 cabinet, but offers way more functionality.

I'm only a hobbyist, so I can't really justify upgrading my 25 year old 25w Samick amp, but I got a cheap Wine Cellar preamp off AliExpress (I think it's a SansAmp clone) and it means I can get good (well, better) sounds through either my PC or my lovely amp. Ideally, it'd be a Battalion or Dark glass vintage if I was feeling super ritzy.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Got that pick today, absolutely sold on it. Will try to pick up :razz: some more if I can. I do notice that it can lose volume with fast cross-picking so you do need to maintain some force with it but in tests with my SB-2 (flatwounds) and cv70's jazz (roundwounds) I was really pleased with the results. With palm-muting, you can get some pretty old-school tone happening. Not often I find something that cool, thanks heaps for pointing me at it!

edit: oh, nearly forgot the best thing, they have a nice comfortable thumb-scoop in them, I don't get tired using them.

The ebay store I bought from last year no longer has them, but Harrison Music (https://harrisonmusic.com.au/shop/product/wedgie-rubber-pick-3pack-5-0-hard/) seem to have them in stock. They have the soft ones too, but I read somewhere that they tend to disintegrate.

Yeah, the thumb scoop is great. For a 5mm pick, they're pretty easy to keep a grip on.

(Out of curiosity, I used to live in your area in the late '90's/early 2000's - did you happen to play in any bands around that time?)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Amazon also sell them directly from Wedgie fairly cheaply I just discovered, but not as cheap as that! I will get a pack for sure.

The last bands I played with were in the earlier '90's, 91-93ish, the Caplights and the Great Curve, the former an original band, the latter a covers band. Apart from one attempt at a covers band that never made it beyond a few rehearsals in Castlemaine, and a couple of reunion gigs of the Great Curve, I've not gigged since then.

Yeah, I was there from '95, so a bit before my time there. I was secretly hoping you'd say Grover or Ruttiger or something amusing (to like, 2 people). Or that you'd played with Skip. Is he still around?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

In that exercise, I'd use the finger playing the octave to mute. The little dot above the upper octave notes (you may or may not be aware) mean you play them staccato (so short and pronounced). After plucking the note, raise your finger enough to cut the note short but not enough to leave the string.

Similarly, you would do the same for the lower note too, if you wanted that staccato as well.

If you're using a pick or some kind of thumb/finger/finger style (like Sting) you could use your palm, but your finger is right there.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I'd disagree - there's a lot of space there for a nice melodic bassline - the walking bass seems a bit stiff though. Try swinging it a bit or adding syncopation.

It kinda reminds me of an Australian band from the 90's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnvnNJCafgk

The guitar is mostly rhythmic and the singer/drummer just plays a single snare with some minor bits of percussion. The bass player basically plays lead, kinda like a folky John Entwhisle. This might be more where you're looking to head.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Also, have a listen to the bass for Son of a Preacher Man. It moves around a lot, but a fair bit is octaves.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ooh, the one on the right looks interesting. I've been able to read treble clef easily since I was small, but I've never really been able to get bass clef to stick.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

That's pretty handy. You can also play the minor thirds on the same string as the root so you don't need to stretch for the fifth, but that all depends on context.

Augmented triads are interesting, because the triads work for any note in the triad. The G° up there is also B° and D#°.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I've got a Sandberg bridge waiting to go on a DIY project, which is pretty nice. It's quick release, roller saddles and adjusts up and down and sideways so you can change string gap width. I think I paid AUD90 from Banzai music in Germany, including postage.

That said, if you're happy with the stock bridge, stick with it.