Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

Quick question: what is the technical name for sliding doors? "Cavity sliding doors" seems to be what they call them in Commonwealth countries, but I can't get any links on US websites. Wondering if it's something I'll have to rig myself or if there are any dealers offering solutions. I don't want "French doors" or "removable walls" or "sliding glass doors" or other large patio installments.

More detail: I am thinking about a front door that slides into the wall on a rail and runners rather than swinging open in order to maximize space in a very small area. Needs to be lockable, weatherproofed, and heavy duty enough to serve as a replacement to a regular front door. They have them everywhere in Japan so I know someone has got to be making them in the States, but no luck yet. Help!

They are called "Pocket Doors".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

3M makes a double sided tape that is used for sticking molding and emblems onto cars it is about as thick as scotch tape and super strong. You should be able to find it at an auto parts store.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cybor Tap posted:

I've been house sitting my parents' place for the past few weeks, though I have an apartment in the city. I returned to my apartment last night to find it torn up (the landlord is redoing my kitchen), but I didn't realize it was going to be now.

I went upstairs to use the bathroom, and of course the water was turned off, so no flush.

Is it true that if I just dump water down the drain it will flush? How much do I need, and is this a viable way to survive for the next few days?

You could also use the bucket to fill up the tank and then flush as normal.
You just would have to fill the tank every time, but I would think that would be better than potentially splashing doo-doo water on yourself.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Feathers posted:

Is there some store where I'd have better luck finding a proper iron for this or some sort of hairbrained scheme I could try?

You might be able to get away with wrapping thinner copper wire around the tip and tinning it. It probably won't last as long as a proper tip but might be a good stop-gap measure until you can find a proper smaller tip.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Jake Gittes posted:

I've just moved into a new place, and my shower floor drain is draining alarmingly slow. I've tried Dran-O, but that onlt temporarily relieved the problem. I've now picked up a bottle of Lye to attack the problem, but there are all sorts of warnings about not using it if other products have failed. Can I go ahead and try it, or am I potntially getting ready to create a mush of toxic mutagen in my plumbing?

Our one bathtub drain got stopped up, and it took my Dad and I about an hour of steady plunging to force the clog out. After trying multiple other nasty chemicals.
The zipit thing did nothing to it either.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you are going to get a wheel get this one instead.
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-545D-545-Diamond-Wheel/dp/B00004UDI9/ref=sr_1_66?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1264465385&sr=1-66

It is a diamond impregnated metal, and lasts about 1000 times longer than any of the other abrasive wheels. I have one I bought more than 5 years ago and it still cuts fine, and it won't explode in your face like the other disks do.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

enki42 posted:

I left a 3/4 full (but closed) can of varathane in my trunk over a particularly cold (-19C) night. The next morning it was a slushy mess. The outside of the can says "Keep from Freezing" - am I completely screwed on this can, or is it worth giving it a shot now that it's thawed?

What does it look like now that it is thawed? Varathane is water based right? The water in it froze, it probably separated some. Stir the poo poo out of it and test it on a scrap piece of wood. If it looks/cures fine it is probably fine.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Does it have trim pieces, it's hard to tell with the plastic there but it looks to me just like a solid wood door. If that's the case it looks like the raised panel either came out of the slot, or the side that is in the slot broke.
Doors like that the panels aren't glued or fastened with any mechanical fasteners so they can expand and contract independently of the frame and not crack or break.

If it is doing what I think it is doing then you taking the door off the hinges and lay it flat on some saw horses and get that bottom piece of wood off by heating or steaming the joint apart. once you get it apart and see if the panel just came loose or it is broken on that side, then you would have to reseat the panel in the rabbets and glue the bottom piece back on.

ninja edit:
Exploded view of a raised panel door for clarity

not my pic just the first one I could google up and re-host.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 13, 2010

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Epoxy a strong magnet to the back side of the lip, it won't affect accuracy. The only thing it would affect would be that the tape wouldn't retract fully, but that shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

scuz posted:

:jiggled: Ugh. Painting/detailing question.

I tried painting racing stripes on my joystick box and they turned out all hairy because I guess my masking skills aren't up to par or something. Any ideas on how to clean this up? My plan at the moment is to wait until it's completely dry (48 total hours), sand it down, then touch it up with white again.

Also any tips on how to avoid this in the future would be GREATLY appreciated :3:

Spray a light coat of clear over the tape after you put it down to seal the edges, and pull the tape as soon as the color coat feels tacky. Pull the tape back over itself. All of that should help you get nice crisp lines.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Epoxies can usually be thinned with denatured alcohol, but if the rubbing alcohol didn't do anything to it I'm not sure the denatured alcohol would.
Maybe try naphtha(zippo fluid) first, then lacquer thinner, then acetone. Test the lacquer thinner and acetone in an inconspicuous place on your desk first.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rossilius posted:

I just helped someone move into a home that she just started renting, a beautiful old home with lots of character. Thankfully the landlord, who doesn't give a drat about the place, has said she has free reign to fix up the house however she pleases. From her bedroom there are two small doors with a few window panes that were painted probably a year or two ago. Whatever idiots painted it forgot that you need to remove painter's tape from surfaces after you paint, and so each of the window panes (on the outside, so exposed to the elements) now has dried and flaking painter's tape on it. If you attempt to remove it, small pieces just disintegrate off, but it's drat near impossible to get any substantial amount of the tape off. She (and I) lives in New Orleans, so the tape has been exposed to ridiculous humidity, heat, and rainfall, tacking it that much more onto the windows' surfaces. I'd love to get the tape off but have as yet had nothing but trouble in attempting to do so.

Anyone know of a reasonable and simple way to actually get this dried/year old painter's tape off of the windows?

Soak the tape with WD-40 or Goof-Off or something else made for dissolving adhesive and go at it with a razor blade.
Hold it like a scraper and scrape the "sharp" part against the glass, if you saturate the tape with your adhesive remover it should come right off.
Then you can clean the glass with windex or something.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Balsa wood.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

ancient lobster posted:

Thanks for all the advice, I'll keep these things in mind. I realized I'm going to be staying with my uncle in a few weeks,and he does woodworking. So I'll ask him what he thinks, and maybe he'll be able to help me with the assembly.

(I'd buy a hood, but commercial aquarium hoods won't accommodate the light I'm using.)

You could look at "starboard" or one of the other composite wood products. They can be a little more spendy than wood, but are made for marine environments. Any boat store should sell them, Starboard is a brand name.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

thepedestrian posted:

I need to cut some 2x4s, plywood and metal or pvc siding for a few projects I'm working on. I don't currently own any power tools besides a drill. I was going to buy the cheapest circular saw Home Depot has, but before I thought I'd ask y'all since I have no idea what the right tool is for the job. All the cuts will be straight, nothing fancy.

Hit up your local pawn shops too as well as craigslist like dwoloz said. I've seen circular saws at thrift stores too.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hellwuzzat posted:

Did DIY&H ever have a metal milling/machining thread? Is there anyone around this forum that likes to play with mills and lathes and such?

There is a general metalworking/welding/blacksmithing thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Mandated burial depth is 18"-4' depending on stuff, but that doesn't mean the lazy scrub from Time/Warner (or Comcast/Qwest/Verizon/etc) will actually do more than casually scrape a bit of a trench with his boot heel. Those guys are LAZY.

And call before you dig is (at least around here) statatorily mandated to come 1) within 24 hours and 2) make a mark within 12" above the spot where their lines are, or write "NONE". If you hit a line that's more than a couple feet away from their paint line, the guy who spotted it is at fault. That said, be careful, because the telephone/cable guys NEVER know, the electric guys can guess pretty well, and the water guys may as well be using pure magic. The only people who seem to be at all decent marking is Natural Gas.

It took me running over the phone cable here with the lawn mower twice before they would come and bury it deep enough so a normal rain shower wouldn't expose it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

melon cat posted:

I'm building a mini-greenhouse for some plants we're growing.

1. What's the best tool to use for cutting plexiglass?

2. Any recommended collapsible worktables for this type of project? I'm a new DIYer and I'm trying to work up a collection of practical tools, and I don't have a proper workbench (and we're also short on space, hence the need for something collapsible).

1. A utility knife and a good straight edge. You score along the straight edge and snap it to cut.
2. Find a Black and Decker Workmate it is exactly what you need. The top is expandable and can also act as a clamp itself. While the whole thing folds flat and could be stored under a bed if need be.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

wormil posted:

We have a square halogen light on the back of our house and I want to change the glass from clear to yellow so I don't attract bugs. I expected there to be ready made products for this but I couldn't find any so I'm heading over to the glass place tomorrow. If they don't have yellow glass, what else can I use that would withstand heat from the halogen bulb?

A lighting Gel for stage lights maybe?
It comes in sheets. stage lights get pretty hot so I think it could stand up to a household halogen.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

lessthankyle posted:

I'm planning on creating a wall piece that will be a scaled-down map of the NYC subways, with each stop being a light corresponding to the line's color (red, green, blue, etc). There's 500-some stops to cover, so I'll need a lot of lights.

I was thinking of using a bunch of small 3mm LEDs, but I haven't worked much with them. Is this a logical choice? I'm assuming that many LEDs might be a pain to power. Is there any good reading material that might help me get started using them?

Might want to have a look at fiber optics too. Then you would only need one of each light source and run individual strands of fiber to each stop you want lit up.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This is a pretty good guide on doing it to a guitar cab. Should be able to adapt it to your project fairly easily.
http://guitarkitbuilder.com/content/how-apply-tolex-guitar-amplifier-cabinet

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I Love Topanga posted:

I don't know where this question belongs so I'm going to try here.

Can I stick a 35 5/8" fridge with french doors in a space that is 36 1/4" ?

The wall on the right side will stick out past the door, I believe the measurement is 41". I understand the door will not be able to open all the way, but will I be able to open it to 90 degrees or close or is it going to be so tight around the pivot point that the fridge won't open at all?

My parents had a french door fridge in too small a place when they moved into their current house. It was horrible, getting anything in/out of the freezer side was nearly impossible. It ended up getting relocated to the basement as a spare/beer fridge and they bought a normal single door fridge.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Is using granite for a garage workbench top a terrible idea?

I wouldn't want the whole bench top to be granite, but a section of granite can be nice to have as a flat surface for attaching sandpaper to for flattening or sharpening things.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Human Cow posted:

Crossposting from the woodworking thread:

Found this old Craftsman lathe on Craigslist. The guy says that he can't find a model number on it, but he's only asking $50 OBO. Anybody want to hazard a guess as to the details of the lathe, or if it's worth $40 or $50 (assuming it runs)? I wouldn't mind having a restoration project.

My Dad has a similar lathe in storage inherited from a grandfather. If it is like his it doesn't actually have a motor in the head. The motor sits below it in a stand and the head just has 3 or 4 pulleys to offer a primitive speed control.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Psalmanazar posted:

Thanks for the information but I'll be working on making a new body.

Thanks for the advice but I'll be building a new body. My dad's expressed interest and we're going to make a new one together on the weekend. Plus there's a few cracks in the plastic and busted bits that I'm just not punk enough for.

Beaten many times but post your progress here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486580

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Build a deadman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWWlHr3Kkrg

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

uwaeve posted:

I'm looking for a good resource for opening/closing/maintaining/cleaning a 24' above-ground pool. It seems like a lot of my searching gets me to small, contradictory articles on what to do.

If it is useful: this is my first summer with a pool, which is like 15 years old. I had the wall repaired and a new liner put in, and will need to get it running well and know how to open/close it correctly. The prior owner is no help, as his instructions were "call the pool people." Well, the pool people are expensive and moderately unpleasant. I'd rather know what I'm doing. I've maintained a reef tank before so I'm not afraid to dig into the chemistry a bit.

Find a local pool chemical supply store and ask what they recommend. Most of them have a service where you bring them a water sample and they can analyze it and tell you what you need.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

What's that website with the HUGE selection of hardware and materials? It layout is very basic and it has an exhaustive list of pretty much every imaginable raw material and I forgot to bookmark it last time I saw it because I am terrible.

McMaster-Carr?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Bean bag chairs/couch?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Shower head chat:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006FYABAE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1387409179&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40
This is the best shower head ever.
It's cheap solid brass and if you have low water pressure it amplifies it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Minorkos posted:

Anyone know how spray lacquer and acrylic paint typically interact with each other?

I'm planning on stenciling a design on top of a wooden box. I have a stencil brush, a bottle of acrylic paint of the matte kind, specifically this stuff, and a can of spray lacquer. Sadly I don't have the spray lacquer around so I can't check if it's water-based or oil-based.

I was going to stain the wooden box, then sand it, apply the stencil with the brush and spray the whole thing with lacquer once it's dry. But I've read that the lacquer could dissolve the acrylic paint. Is there any way to know if that will happen without testing it out? If that doesn't work out, what options do I have? Do I paint on top of the lacquer? Would it just be easier to use a different finish on top of the acrylic paint? Any help is appreciated

It might wrinkle or affect the acrylic in some way, but you never really know until you try. To minimize it go real easy on the first coats literally dusting it on. That should let you build up a layer to seal it in with out affecting it. You can also use a layer of spray on shellac as a barrier coat things tend to not inteact with the shellac as much as solvents in lacquers.
Or just use shellac as the top coat.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe muratic acid as a last resort but you might have to do the whole patio to have it not be a bright spot.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

uwaeve posted:

This is the mounting spot for our storm door closer. There's one on top of the door as well, but I'd like to double up. The wood is split where the two door-side screws go in. Is this a multitool-cut and replace thing, or should I just toothpick and glue it? The wood feels mostly fine, but near the split it's a little soft.

Minwax sells a wood hardener (heh) that you just brush on and let soak in. That + toothpicks might be enough to solidify and prevent any further damage to the area.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

I built these pallets that are supposed to fit over a pan, but when the pan arrived it was about 3/16" too wide to fit. My solution was to buy a router attachment for my Dremel 200 and shave off a bit's width down the inside edge. The pan is an inch tall and I need to shave down 80 inches in total. Do you think my Dremel can handle that kind of work? I don't have much in the way of power tools but I plan on buying a circular saw on Friday.

80 inches is over 6 feet do you have a measurement muck up somewhere?
Going through 6 feet of anything with a dremel is gonna be tough.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody dabbled in making stuff out of metal studs? I'm doing an experiment with them to see if I can hold up a big grill for an outdoor kitchen. I got the most basic frame together and it's kind of rickety. In truth, I would have this problem with pressure-treated pine at this point. However, I'm wondering if there is special consideration I should give towards how to being to reinforce it. It looks like I should try to use the wide part of the metal stud for structure.

Yes, I do know I need to spray down all the bits I cut and drill with a galvanizing paint. That being said, do I have to do that in detail with it disassembled or can I get the benefits zapping the exposed bits as I have them screwed together.

My Dad and I made an outdoor kitchen area framed out with metal studs about 10 years ago. The frame itself is pretty rickity until you skin it with something. We used the concrete tile backer board. Then tiled over the whole thing. Big rear end grill set right in the center of it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Well, that's... not encouraging. One thing I'm confused about is why you say removing the cleanout cover could be an issue. Doesn't it just cover a pipe that goes down to the trap? By my naive understanding, the only risk is if it isn't put back properly which could allow splashing water to leak through, but that's what the caulk is for.

The drain is above the middle of the downstairs kitchen so there's tile flooring. This is what's to the right of the earlier photo:

He's saying that if it's never been removed then it's probably effectively one piece of metal at this point due to corrosion and crap building up behind it over the years.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Get a porthole from a boat that would fit.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There's usually a sign mounted inside the elevator saying something about any damage or malfunction should be reported to xxx-xxx-xxxx number.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

my apartment complex installed glue up shower walls a few months back because the tile wall was falling apart. the problem is, they suck butts and are bad at everything and didnt caulk three sides of the walls and now one of them has mostly peeled up off the shower wall because the glue completely failed and the caulk is failing

is there an easy way to fix this short of taking the walls down and starting over? can i just caulk/recaulk the edges of the glue up walls as needed to hold them down and just keep limping it along until i move out? i'm trying to avoid calling maintenance because a) they're assholes b) they dont actually fix poo poo and c) it takes forever just to get them to come out (when i called to say my wall was falling apart it was six months before i saw anybody, when i called to say "the cutoff for my toilet is leaking a disturbing amount of water to the tune of a gallon plus every hour" they waited 24 hours and two rounds of mopping up the bathroom floor because my bucket overflowed)

Squirt some liquid nails behind it and tape it in place until it's dry maybe.
Caulk around the edges for cheap insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Discospawn posted:

I've been living in the top floor of a historic Los Angeles apartment building for several years now, but there's a feature I've never discovered the purpose of. Along the outward-facing wall and part of a connecting wall, there are these strips of metal screwed or bolted to the wood floor.

Some Pics:
The corner of the 2 walls with these strips

The end of the border strip along the interior wall

Overhead view with foot for scale

Close-up view showing wood sanded down around metal after a century of re-finishes

I had always assumed that this was some kind of attachment to the steel frame of the building, but now that I'm thinking of re-finishing my floors, I can't actually find anything online to confirm that theory. More details:
-The building was constructed in the mid 1920's, and there have not been many changes or modifications over the years. The wood so heavily sanded down around it makes me think it's original, this building's poor maintenance by the property owner means this could also be some kind of cheap & dirty repair of some kind.
-The metal is covered in the same stain & varnish as the hardwood floor. Trying to scrape off the varnish makes it looks like the unfinished metal is actually a brass-ish color.
-The metal strips don't seem to go through the wall, but stop flush with it. Similarly, they seem to go over the wood floor, like the wood strips continue un-cut underneath.
-I don't know whether they are screws or bolts used to attach it, and I'm wary of removing any of them (plus the heads are stripped and filled with varnish, which would make that a chore).

Any insight helps, thanks.

Are you sure they just aren't from earthquake rehab?
A lot of the older buildings had to be retro fitted after the last big one out there.
Adam Corolla talks about it a lot on his various podcasts.