Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Male knitgoon checking in. Long-time reader, first time poster.

So I've decided it's time to try knitting socks. I went and got some sock yarn and some teeny tiny double-pointed needles and a book of knitting socks, and cast on last night. How hard can it be? I made myself a pair of fingerless mittens and the only difference here is that everything is so insanely tiny, and also I will need to learn short rows.

I'm expecting the leg of the sock will take forever because holy gently caress is this yarn fine and also sweet Jesus these needles are delicate and I'm afraid I'm going to ruin them. Fortunately it's a fairly small project so it easily fits in my man-purse, but now I'm worried that something in said man-purse will snap my little size 1 needles.

This will sound weird but is there some device I can put this project in so my needles won't break in transit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

OK so I'm sure there are a couple billion patterns online, but I can't for the life of me find a pattern for a simple child's hat. I made this fox scarf (which was also my very first knitting project) for a niece earlier this year and want to make her a hat to match for Christmas, but I can't find a pattern for a plain hat for a child.I'm OK with freestyling some fox ears to go on it - it would just be simple increases, I can definitely do that) but good lord am I having trouble with the hat itself. Please assist, knitgoons!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

That last hat is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

A few months ago I found a free pattern for those hexagon things here:

http://charmhour.blogspot.ca/2013/04/knit-hexagons.html

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Nibblet posted:

Well, thanks to everyone's assistance, I was able to make my first hexipuff. It turned out kinda squishy/odd figure but I think its ok.

This'll be a long project but a good one for just taking up time.

Looks good! How long did it take?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

jomiel posted:

I bought the KP Caspian try it circular needle set and hate it. It's so different from my wood harmony DPN set that I bought a few years ago. The Caspian circular needle was so grippy and not as smooth as before, and the nickel needle was ridiculously slippery--though this is my first try at metal needles. The cables were not that flexible and I was annoyed when I used them.

I then took the advice of goons here and also read a bunch of Ravelry forum posts, and bought the Hiya Hiya small sharp set. It is so awesome! The metal needles have a slight coating that feels like satin, and the coating gives it a bit of resistance on my sock yarns. The joins are super smooth, the needles don't make loud clicking noises, and the cables are small and very pleasant. Definitely worth the money. I now want to pick up the large set and maybe also a set of circulars in 0 and 1 to try magic loop socks :)

But uh yeah if anyone wants a pair of free size 6 and size 7 KP Caspian interchangeables, I'm happy to ship it free to you :v:

I could take you up on this if you're OK with shipping to Canada :v

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

jomiel posted:

Sure, can you send me your details? You don't seem to have PM.
jomielll at gmail dot com

Awesome! E-mail sent.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

jomiel posted:

I bought the KP Caspian try it circular needle set and hate it. It's so different from my wood harmony DPN set that I bought a few years ago. The Caspian circular needle was so grippy and not as smooth as before, and the nickel needle was ridiculously slippery--though this is my first try at metal needles. The cables were not that flexible and I was annoyed when I used them.

Just chiming in to say that the needles arrived today and they made it safe and sound! Thank you very much! Were the stitch markers a gift from Knitpicks or you?

The Caspian needles are super pretty and they feel smoother than the bamboo needles I usually use, but I've never worked something on a circular needle before and now I need to find something to knit on it.

Also, I finally finished the heel flap of the cuff-down sock I'm working on and I have started turning the heel. I'm only two rows in so far and it's going OK but oh god what if I ruin the months of work spend knitting the leg of this sock with superfine yarn on size 1 needles like an idiot? :ohdear:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

So I finally finished turning the heel on the taking-forever sock:

And now on to the gusset! The short rows weren't nearly as complicated as I thought they would be - it's just that the book I'm using didn't explain them too well, I think.

I could have finished this a while ago, but a co-worker is having a bay and as such tiny baby-sized gifts were in order:

Knitting baby things is immensely satisfying. Everything knits up so quickly!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

So I did something insane while me and the GF were on vacation. We were going to be on a train for like 9 hours to get to our destination, so, you know, knitting. After a week I have this:

I want something throw blanket-sized, so holy buckets will this take a while, but it's pretty mindless.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Adoreible posted:

Oh my goodness the colors! Do you mind sharing the yarn and colorway? You may have just convinced my husband that that pattern is actually something to have in our home.

It's Red Heart's Unforgettable yarn in Dragonfly. It's lovely, but the thickness of the yarn tends to vary. I'm hoping the more tightly-wound bits will loosen up somewhat upon washing. I made my girlfriend some fingerless gloves with it and they look awesome, and when I saw this pattern I knew exactly what to do with the leftovers.

The amount of purple in it makes it look kinda feminine, but gently caress that, I love the cooler colours, gender stereotypes be damned!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

laertes22 posted:

This topic may have come up before, but I can't remember it or find it:

Anybody have any good/creative ways of storing, organizing, and/or transporting DPNs? (ones that are not currently in use).

I've been on a real sock knitting kick lately and I have DPNs everywhere (I don't magic loop etc., so only use DPNs for socks). I currently have random DPNs strewn all over the place. I have been storing them in the original little plastic baggies that they came in when I bought them, but I am pretty sure those won't hold up over time. Also, since I tend to take my projects and my spare needle sets on the road with me when I travel, kind of curious as to what to do about that.

I use those plastic tubes they sell to put your toothbrush when you're travelling. I bundle them with a rubber band and I can usually get two sets in one tube.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

And after two and a half months the ten-stitch blanket has grown hugely. It now measures more that two by two and a half feet, occupies most of my man-purse when I take it out to work on while on-the-go, and has turned out to be far heavier than I would have expected.

Behold! Here it is in its unrolled glory, taking up most of my dining room table.

I am now on the fourth ball of yarn, and have discovered that the gauge of this yarn varies spectacularly from ball to ball and, indeed, from one section of one ball to another. It is a gorgeous yarn and I love it but it is driving me mad how unpredictably thin it can be. I'm terrified that it's just going to tear in half and ruin absolutely everything. There's a lot more variation from dye lot to dye lot as well - the centre portion is far darker and thicker than the rest of the blanket. I'm OK with the colour variation but god drat is the thinness driving me nuts. This is Red Heart Unforgettable in Dragonfly. Am I crazy here or is this normal for a yarn that isn't plied?

It was ridiculously cold in my office today and I went so far as to cover my knees with this thing. It's far warmer than I was thinking it would be, which is great.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

It's not unusual for unplied yarns, but -- not to be an rear end in a top hat -- quality issues of all kinds really aren't surprising with bottom-of-the-barrel yarns. I know a lot of people like Red Heart, but there's a reason it's the cheapest brand by a mile.

Oh, I know it's not exactly a high-class yarn. My girlfriend really liked the colours and so do I, and we couldn't find anything that wouldn't break the bank that had the same slow colour changes. This thing will probably end up taking more than ten balls of yarn and cost was definitely a factor. I'm getting what I paid for.

I'm also assuming this will partially solve itself as the blanket is used or washed, which will cause any sections that may have been spun too tightly to relax and fluff up a bit.

The fact that acrylic is machine-washable was also a selling point because there are cats and the cats will barf all over everything given the chance. But mostly, those colours! :swoon:

Mad Hamish fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 9, 2014

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

So I've been working on my ten-stitch blanket, which has become huge and unwieldy and now gets worked on while at work before things start happening, but there've been a few road trips so I've been working on some smaller projects in the meantime:

On a road trip to a Morris dancing event I decided to start putting together a knitted Vampyroteuthis infernalis, which is the coolest cephalopod in the world. Behold its adorable weirdness:

The Ravelry page is here for those who will be as happy to find a pattern for one of these as I was.

This past weekend while at a different Morris dancing thing I started putting together a dice bag so my dice aren't mixed promiscuously in with my girlfriend's dice, and also because I could use up some left-over yarn. I've never tried making something circular from the closed end of the circle before, or cables in the round, but so far I have this:

It looks a bit like a deflated cabled green breast, but once it's done and filled with dice I'm sure it'll look less awful.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Hey, so I'm doing something fancy with cables:

And I'm having the devil of a time switching from knit to purl, which slows me down something fierce. A while ago someone was mentioning a video on YouTube of how to switch from knit to purl without dropping the yarn, which is something I'd like to be able to do because holy poo poo do I ever love cables. I think it was a Norwegian purl or something? Something Scandinavian. I don't remember and I hope someone in this thread will. I knit continental if that matters.

The above project is going too be a cowl scarf with the cable pattern taken from Knitting With Balls and the yarn is Katia Oxford in colour 206. I had no idea it would start changing colours as it went, the balls were all a nice green when I got them but it was a pleasant surprise. It has these lovely flecks of turquoise and navy in it and it's just gorgeous.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Stitch Bitch posted:

It is Norwegian purl. Here's an instructional video from a quick Google, but it looks like there are lots more if this one isn't clear enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DkwcejowiI

Ah, that looks like it! I'll check this out when I'm not on my phone.

The stitch markers aren't colour-coordinated as much as they're used that way so I know what I'm doing. Green markers bracket the reverse stockingette that borders the cables while the purple ones bracket the cables themselves. The blue ones at the edges of the work are to remind me where to do garter stitch so the piece won't curl.

I love doing cables, they're so easy but look so good! Apparently my girlfriend's mother is annoyed because I can actually do them. I'm told she lacks the patience for it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

So I've discovered that bulky yarn is the best thing ever:

I managed this in about an hour and a half while moderately busy at work. It's a bulky yarn on size 10.5 needles and oh my God I am loving how quickly this works up.

The yarn is Patons Colorwul in the Ocean colourway and the pattern is Mitts for Romeo. The yarn colours are beautiful but I'm not entirely sure these would be OK for me to wear myself. The colours are a little.....ah, festive, shall we say? :gay:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Phishi posted:

Lookin good! It's funny... You think it's so bright, but compared to some stuff in my stash it's positively dull. But to each their own!

Sadly the colours don't photograph well. It's really bright in person.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

That's a beautiful yarn, what is it?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

For those who make little toys, what are the smallest needle sizes you've worked with? I'm so tempted to get some size 0000 dpns for a herd of small jellyfishes.

........jellyfish, you say?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Ms. Happiness posted:

This is why I want to learn coloration in knitting.

You and me both! One of my goals for this year is to learn colourwork and finish those socks. The first one is done! Just.......just one more to go....

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

The idea of doing colourwork with continental and English is really interesting. I sort of half-assedly taught myself continental after my girlfriend taught me to knit because I was tired of dropping the yarn, loop around needle, etc etc. This was, of course, slow and annoying so one day while working on a garter stitch project I just decided to loop it around my index finger and things went much better from there. Still can't figure out Norwegian purling, though!

On the weekend she was telling me that she never taught me to knit continental but she told me to hold the yarn on the left so clearly she did. It's all her fault, of course.

Right now I'm working on a boneyard shawl. I'm liking it so far but I think I'm probably going to have to block it to Hell and back to make it the shape I want. Here's a look at the work in progress:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

suddenly cats posted:

It's pretty much a given that shawls have to be blocked to achieve the desired shape. It's worth it in the end though. Yours looks great so far!

Well that gives me some hope. I've been looking at pictures of other people's versions of it and thinking 'my God, this is never going to look the same!' Pretty much everything I've made so far hasn't needed blocking so maybe I just have no clue as to how it works out. I'm glad it looks OK, it's been a fun and easy knit so far and this tweedy yarn is great to work with. And so soft! It's mohair and alpaca.

My girlfriend's learning to spin and holy crap am I excited about the yarn she'll be able to make me.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Drakochan posted:

I'm working on my first set of socks!

About halfway through sock #2.

Awesome! I'm in the final stretch for sock 2 of my first pair and ooooh man no-one will ever be able to wear those. The first one was done cuff-down on size 1 needles, so it has beautiful stitch definition but no stretch at all, and the pattern I used evidently had a typo in the decreases for the toe so there weren't enough. As a result it has the pointiest of pointy wizard toes, suitable only if one also wears pointy wizard shoes. Oh, and it took me more than a year to knit. I got pretty bored with it.

The second sock was done toe-up on size 2 needles, as I figured since the first sock was unwearable I may as well try the other way and see if I like it better. I do, but this one's too big. So what did I learn? Size 1 needles suck, toe-up is less traumatic, and a short-row heel is infinitely better than a heel flap. Once the second one is done (this weekend probably - and I only cast on three weeks ago!) I'll post a picture. Aw man, y'alls will be laughing at me for that first sock.

We're going to Romney Wools next week because my girlfriend wants to pick up a drum carder (apparently I'm an insufficiently manly boyfriend because I dislike doing hand carding for her but nice enough because I bought her her spinning wheel? She spins, I knit, we are the ultimate power couple!) and I think I might get some more sock yarn. Now that Target isn't in Canada anymore I may have to supply my own obnoxious socks.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Re: shawls, I knit a vineyard scarf a while ago and it was pretty simple!

I also discovered that one of the yarns I'm going to be making fingerless mitts out of is Homespun. How much trouble is this going to be? I shamefully admit I got it because it was pretty.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

zamiel posted:

I keep mine in the giant plastic totes with lids. Someday I'll go through and figure out what is where instead of randomly spelunking for things.

Anyone else still Christmas knitting? I thought this toddler sweater would go faster, but yeah, I cast it on 2 months ago and I'm only on the 2nd sleeve now. It's mostly straight knit, too. Knitting Mojo, come back! I have to make an adult sized one in the next month or so!

I'm knitting All The Romeo Mitts as gifts for people.I'm on pair number three and I'm so goddamned tired of this pattern. So very, very tired.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Hello, I would just like to brag that on the weekend I completed my third pair of socks and the first pair I felt is actually fit to wear. It took me about two weeks per sock but I'm incredibly happy with them!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

BonerGhost posted:

Those are pretty cool! Curious what yarn and pattern you used.

Thanks! The yarn is from a company called Uneek, it's colour way # 61. I kind of made up the pattern as I went along, using one from a book on sock knitting but with some alterations because I didn't like how pointy the toe was. I should probably write it down before I forget!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Aside from the toe, turning the heel, and the ribbing on the cuff, it's quite literally mindless knitting. It seems really intimidating at first but a short row heel isn't hideously complicated and there are loads of helpful videos online!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I've been working on socks like crazy, having finished a pair in a smidge under three weeks and with good progress on a new sock that I cast on last night.

These are in a yarn I got at a fibre event in the fall - the dyer is The Yarn Therapist on Etsy although she doesn't appear to have anything in this colourway in stock and the card it came with doesn't have a name. This is the first time I had yarn that came with a mini, so that was a fun learning experience.

I am currently working with this beautiful stuff:

This yarn is Refraction in the Peacock colourway by a fantastic local dyer I've known for some time. A lot of her stuff is a bit close to clown barf for my tastes (I prefer wider stripes of colour or a gradient) but it's lovely and soft and this yarn is gorgeous. This came from Stitch Noir.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I'm going to be knitting a lot of socks this year for a charity event, but it's so annoying to bring knitting projects on dpns when traveling. There are so many needles involved and the risk of one slipping loose in the bag is too high. Is there a smart way of storing dpn projects for travel?

I use this neat sock DPN holder thing I got from this Etsy store, Danware. It was about $40 CAD and is absolutely fantastic. I just toss it into my project bag and toss that into my man-purse and I'm ready to work on socks everywhere I go. The slot holds the work on four needles as well as your loose needle and the end screws on so everything is nice and secure.

It doesn't look like there are any in stock on that particular shop right now but I imagine he'll have some more up eventually, and you could probably even message him to ask when more will be available. It's very high quality and I use it constantly and never worry about breaking a needle.

I have seen a plastic thing similar to this at FabricLand (again, I'm in Canada so gods only know if they're available where you are) which would probably work just as well.

(body of sock in photo is As Bright As It Gets from Full Moon Fibres, and the toe is some garish sock yarn from the Fergus Yarn Co.)

Mad Hamish fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 11, 2023

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I finished that pair of neon yellow/orange socks and holy crap they are unspeakably garish when seen in the sunlight, I love it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

So because I'm a sucker for punishment I guess, and because I am currently between opportunities and don't want to be the sort of guy who spends his entire day watching TV instead of doing something useful, I have decided that this is the year I go through my yarn bin and use up a bunch of leftovers making a blanket. I got a book of 60 knitted blanket square patterns and am ignoring the suggested yarns because I like living dangerously. My plan is to make one square a month and then sew them all together at the end of the year to have a finished blanket. So far I've got poo poo taken care of until March, because I am a keener.

January:

February:

March:

The square for March only took me 3 days because it was done in the round, and was interesting because I've never done medallion knitting before. Best of all, I managed to use up almost an entire ball of yarn and got two squares out of it. The colour changes were great and this blanket is going to be absolutely ugly as poo poo whenever it gets finished, which delights me. The book I have doesn't say how to sew the squares together but I'm clever and will figure that out, I'm sure.

Somehow I seem to have got over my aversion to knitting lace, since I have now made four (4) lace things this year (dice bag for friend, headband for my lovely girlfriend out of her homespun, two blanket squares) so I think that's a definite positive.

Actually, here's the headband, when it was still on the needles:

A friend of mine is convinced that I will have finally tried to make a sweater before I find a new job and I'm starting to worry that he's right.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

February's socks are done! This is yarn from Stitch Noir, the colourway is Sea Witch. These are an incredibly soft and nice-feeling SW merino yarn and I am very excited to wear them tomorrow.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Gods help me, I'm back on my bullshit.

March's socks, started today: Purple Haze from Fergus Fibre Company with toes / heels / cuffs to be in leftover neon yellow yarn from January's pair. The horrible thing about getting a mini for weird toes / heels / cuffs is that you basically get free leftovers to keep doing that for all your subsequent pairs.

There's a fibre festival here in Hamilton on the 12th and while I'm sure my girlfriend will get some very lovely roving I am going to find the absolutely ugliest sock yarn I can, aw yiss.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I finished the socks for March last night. I think I'll probably have enough time to get a blanket square done by the end of the month as well.

We went to a fiber market lat weekend and I managed to be fairly restrained and only got two hanks of sock yarn, but also a swatch ruler and sock ruler, both of which are things I've sort of wanted for a while.

The grey one is medium-sized striping with greens and mints and yellows, and a matching grey mini for heels and toes, very tasteful. I especially appreciated how the dyer had samples knitted up so you could see how it would look when done, and also had the yarn pre-split into two hanks to facilitate winding! The other one was the absolute loudest and ugliest yarn I could find and I think it'll be eye-searing once it's knit up, which is exactly what I wanted, clown barf in the worst kind of way.

I think I'm going to do the grey one first since most of the socks I've made recently have been pretty garish and also I want to do something with actual stripes for a change.

Mad Hamish fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 19, 2023

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Ohhhhh those socks look great!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

My goal last year was to make one blanket square a month and have it all sewn together by the end of the year. I didn't quite make it to that, as I finished the last square last night. It turns out that when you kind of hate one pattern that's halfway done you can find a lot of things to do instead, and September's square got out off till December. Life also happened (surprisingly, being one of the organizers for the province's largest one-day pagan festival is a LOT of work), but whatever, it's fine. I'm going to try and sew it together tonight and then figure out how to upload pictures now that they've hosed with how that works. It's going to be so ugly, I can't wait.

THAT SAID. I know last year I was thinking of knitting a sweater. It sounds like an awful lot of work but having just finished the last of 12 largish blanket squares, I think I can manage it. I've been thinking of trying some kind of top-down raglan pattern, because that would minimize weaving-in and allow me to try it on while it's in progress. Does anyone have a good free pattern for this kind of thing that will be intelligible to someone who can manage lace and cables and socks? I've looked around online but a major problem is that I'm having trouble finding patterns in men's style/sizing that aren't from 1962. I did find a website where you can plug in measurements and it spits out a pattern but I don't know how to tell if it's decent or not.

Part of me really wants to do something with cables but after the last year of working various weird stitch patterns I think maybe something in mindless stockingette that isn't a sock (I made five pairs last year, holy poo poo) would be a welcome change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Hmmmmm I really dislike that garter stitch panel along the sleeves but I expect that could be omitted entirely.