Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 12, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 12, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 12, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

JohnnyRnR posted:

The .75 and .833 have inclusions I would steer away from.

This is the toughest thing about buying online... knowing what this stone actually looks like based on a bunch of numbers and a picture. The .75 for sure, but I can't spot the inclusions on the normal diamond image of the .833 (though I can on the other pictures) and I would have taken it over the .841.

I'm basically only looking at SI1 stones, but I'm not sure how to predict how bad an inclusion is likely to be based off images. The .833 would have passed my test (for inclusions someone untrained can spot at magnification, but which I wouldn't think would affect the unmagnified appearance of the stone). Do you have any general tips for what makes a "bad" inclusion besides being front-and-center?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Costello Jello posted:

Boy you sure are a whiny bitch. What a tough life you have, having to pay your own money for your wedding like millions of other people.

I can't wait to see your head explode when you graduate from law school, and your sense of entitlement runs into the job market.

Relax. That post made it sound like her parents shouldn't be allowed to have control over their own money, and I thought it was hilarious too, until she clarified. I don't understand why someone would get upset about their parents wanting to help out financially.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If we survive this drat wedding planning, everything else after this will be easy.

Serving in Afghanistan: nothing compared to wedding planning!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Writer Cath posted:

Can you try talking to the lower priced vendors, to see if they can modify their style to suit your needs?

"Hey, I know you're advertised as a panflute soloist, but do you think you could play this Liszt piece on piano as we enter?"

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Its just all so new and overwhelming. We're not 100% sure if her folks can help foot the bill, and we certainly know my Mom can't help.

We still don't fully know what our budget is. The place we really like is slightly more expensive than we expected (3,000-4,000 for the venue, 500 for the ceremony, 99$ a person for food) so we're a little disappointed.

The area we want to splurg is for an open bar. That might end up costing us extra but after about 5-6 weddings without an open bar, we really really just want one. We'll have to cut back somewhere else but its what we want. We heard doing a buffet is actually cheaper than doing plate service. This is good news because frankly we wanted a buffet anyway.

I might get a part time job, or ask my few friends who own businesses if I can help. I already started selling my collection of magic cards. She has summers off from Guidance Counseling, so shes going to either teach a class or get a seasonal job.

I think we're going to make a budget tonight and figure out what we can afford and what we can save. I might suggest making an ultimatum to her parents saying "We can afford 60 guests, unless you help." That feels dick-ish even if they traditionally fund weddings. They're under a lot of financial pressure already and I don't want to add to it. Ideally I want to somehow fund this on my own.

E: Also I don't want them to twist my arm if they fund it. We want a non-traditional wedding. They don't.

Boston weddings are not cheap at all, if that's where you're looking (but honestly, that quoted price is on the low end around here). Take a look at western Mass, NH, RI, etc. and prices dive by >50%.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

BrightestCrayon posted:

So I've been hit with my first real wedding related dilemma. I'm submitting my first scientific paper for publication at the end of the week and I don't know what name to submit it under. I had always planned on changing my name so that I could have the same last name as my kids. But I'd actually kind of prefer to work professionally under my maiden name (I work with birds and my last name is Fowler, it's just so appropriate!). My problem is that I don't know if I can legally change my name (keeping my maiden name as a middle name) and then continue to work under my maiden name. I'm afraid that when I switch institutions to work on my PhD or work as a professor that I would end up with an email/class schedule under my married name and it would just gt all confusing.

Does anyone know if you can work under a maiden name after legally changing to your married name? I've tried looking, but everything is giving me conflicting information. I asked a couple of the professors that I work with, but both of them just kept their last names since they're international and didn't want to deal with the paperwork. My fiancee is completely neutral about all of this, so he's no help at all.

I suggest you do not do this. A few professors at my institution chose this route and they have all advised my fiancée not to.

You can do it, but it will give you headaches for the rest of your life to go under one name professionally and another personally/legally. They're trying to invite Jane Doe to give a talk, but the plane ticket needs to be bought for Jane Smith. Purchases were made by Jane Smith while Jane Doe was traveling, to be reimbursed by Jane Doe's grant, and Jane Smith needs the reimbursement made out in her name, even though Jane Doe is the one who works there. Who's Jane Smith? The list goes on; managing multiple identities is always going to be difficult.

It's pretty common in science these days to just not change your name, but I have a couple friends who have just tacked on an extra last name. Jane Doe became Jane Doe Smith. Or the other way around.

Also, if your fiancé is actually completely neutral, you like your last name, and your main reason for changing is to share a name with the kids... well, who says future kids need to take on the paternal name?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 18, 2013

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

No experienced photographer will be charging $1,000 for 8 hours coverage, 500 edited photos, and printing rights. You might've found a good one who is just getting off their feet (free engagement session makes that likely, standard portfolio-building trick) but make sure they're talented and realize that newbies can miss shots.

Does anyone have recommendations for online print shops?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

...wait. She's selling her copyright for $1,000?

Either she sucks or she's an idiot.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

JohnnyRnR posted:

No, not really. Wedding photos have very limited mileage. The newer breed of wedding photographers are giving the rights to the client. You can still make a great living shooting $1,000 weddings and $250 engagement packages.

The old model was for a photographer to make their money selling prints. With digital files and cheap professional prints the photographers are transitioning to more of a service business model. And I think it works much better for everyone.

I hire photographers often and the number that demand reserved rights is shrinking.

Personal printing rights are absolutely normal, and I think you should demand them... but I was talking about transferring copyright, derivative works, commercial use, the works. I'm gonna drop this though; this post made me remember that copyright law is too complicated to talk about with people who don't already know copyright law :v:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

JohnnyRnR posted:

You're patronizing, but that's ok. It's very common to see full rights offered these days and it doesn't mean that a photographer is bad or stupid. The business model is changing because customers hate paying usage. Photographers that realize this already have more work than they can handle.

It's happening at all levels of the industry from $1,000 weddings to $20,000 single images.

Any photographer who gives away commercial use for free is literally throwing away money, so at the very least, yeah, they're stupid. 99.9% of couples don't give a poo poo if they have that, and 90%+ don't give a poo poo if they end up on your blog, so you can work something out with the ones who do.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Just to toss this out there:

I'm really, really, picky about menswear. Every time someone asks me to drop $150 on a terrible, ill-fitting, polyester shitbag rental from Men's Wearhouse, I want to vomit, but I suck it up and do it because I'm a good friend. Jos A. Bank is marginally less terrible. It's financially impossible to expect normal people to buy good matching suits, and unless everyone is local, it's usually impossible to get a rental that doesn't suck.

My solution is that I'm not asking my groomsmen to match. Someone's mom might get really offended by the concept, but it's actually a wedding trend that's picking up a lot of popularity. It does require your groomsmen to have some fashion sense and ability to judge a suit's fit, or you'll be doing a bit too much handholding. I'm asking them to wear a charcoal to medium-grey suit, which means for the most part, they already have something in their closest, but failing that, I've tossed them some suggestions for good, cheap-ish suits that will last them for years (like this). I'll be tying it together by giving providing them with their ties (HA GET IT).

Obviously, don't do this when you want everyone dressing in light brown or linen or something, this is best kept to charcoal/grey/navy wool suits so people will already have one or be buying something very usable.

For what it's worth, every time I've had to deal with a rental from MW, I've had to fight them to get adjustments made that no professional tailor would ever let slide. At the last wedding I was in, the groom didn't know better and had a jacket that was way too big in the shoulders, that had a collar gap of like two inches, and nasty bubbling all over because it was a poorly treated fused tux.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 3, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Death of Rats posted:

After surprisingly few jewellers visits (I was expecting to be trekking around various places for at least a month; it took two weekends), we found a design we liked, and ordered it from https://kinetique.co.uk - a company who do lab grown diamonds at a reasonable price.

Those aren't diamonds. If you like them, then that's all that matters, but they're not diamonds. They're ceramic.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

[edit: sorry, this was a pointless comment to make which is not worth wasting more words on. I apologize]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 26, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

[edit: I don't know why I'm posting about this, this is silly. I apologize, sorry.]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 26, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Comstar posted:

We've seen 2 photographers so far. One gives us the copyright, one keeps it. To me, it sounds insane that we don't get to keep the copyright to our photo's. Is this normal? Do most wedding photographers get the copyright?

Why does that sound insane? Why do you want the copyright?

It is completely standard for the photographer to keep the copyright. Most photographers will, because good business sense demands it. The primary purpose of that is so that they can freely share the photos they take with other clients, say, by putting them on an online portfolio or other promotional material. It allows them to pursue legal action if someone finds and uses the photos. They want to make sure you don't profit off their photos by selling them or other commercial purposes. They also really don't want clients destroying their photos in Photoshop and reposting them with "THANKS ANNIE FOR YOUR AMAZING PHOTOS".

Copyright isn't that big of a deal for you; the most reasonable concern I can come up with is your privacy. You can definitely demand digital copies with full personal printing rights and reproduction with attribution, while the photographer keeps the copyright.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Jose Cuervo posted:

What is the good way of indicating that they belong to the wedding party without having everyone rent matching suits (I do not want to pay for everyone to rent a suit, nor do I want to have to make other people buy a suit of a specific color)?

We have boutonnières for all ten men, and mine will be a little bit different from the other nine. I was thinking about telling everyone to wear some shade of gray suit and perhaps get everyone matching ties. However, the tie color may not go with everyone else's suit, depending on the shade of gray they have.

Any thoughts on my options?

I'm doing the same thing, providing ties and boutonnieres. If the tie color doesn't go with a grey suit, you're probably picking a gross tie color.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Robot Mil posted:

I am so not good at decisions.

Nor at clarity :v: What have you nailed down, exactly? It's quite typical to have a late afternoon ceremony and an evening reception... you spend the earlier part of the day getting ready, or just chilling out if you have less to do.

A large gap between events is a bad idea for anything but a destination wedding, IMO, unless you're running separate guest lists.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 25, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Bread Set Jettison posted:

E: I'm leaning more toward the black tux, but I'm just skeptical of renting without first seeing the quality/style/fit/etc.

You're not that concerned about quality, style, or fit. The Black Tux will be fine. It's better than MW.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Squack McQuack posted:

The salesperson I have been working with has told me multiple times to "not worry about the report card," (meaning the certificate) and instead focus more on a ring "that speaks to me."

Yeah, gently caress them, go somewhere else. There are good arguments either way for online v. B&M but it's pretty clear that you're going to get screwed by that place.

I had a great experience with Whiteflash as an online vendor, if you want a different option.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

C-Euro posted:

and if I keep being good with my money

You mean if you start?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Out of ~125 people at our wedding, 1 couple gave us only a card and 5 people gave nothing at all. Did you guys send thank you cards to people who didn't give gifts? I was also surprised that 3 people in our wedding party gave no card or gift at all, is that typical? I understand being in a wedding party is more costly then not, but it was a little insulting.

Edit- should've picked my words better. I wouldn't say insulted, but I would never go to someone's wedding without so much as giving a card so I was surprised.

Chill, give less of a gently caress about these things, and life will be happier. Be thankful for the gifts you receive rather than insulted (or annoyed, or whatever) by the absence of one. We had a bunch of people who attended our wedding who didn't give gifts, but so what? We invited them because we wanted them there.

I did not send thank you cards to people who didn't give gifts, though I imagine I would have sent cards to anyone who had to travel or was in the wedding.

I guess this is easy to say, though, when you have the opposite problem; we both get totally freaked out when people give us big gifts. We had one relative hand us $500 and we were begging them to take it back.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Buggiezor posted:

Question for the other married goons, how long did it take you to get your photos/album? My wedding was Oct 25 and my photographer is saying he won't get our pictures to us until late January. He's emailed us a few (like 10) to try and pacify us but he says he won't be done "editing" or touching them up until later. It was also a huge struggle to get him to give us more than about 150 pics. He showed us over 300, and after we picked our favorite 250 or so he said we needed to select which 150 would go in the album and those 150 would also be the ones on the dvd we'll get. We asked him about the full 250 and he wants to charge us extra because he says he wouldn't feel comfortable giving us any photos he didn't "touch up" and it takes time for him to do that.

Is this normal? It's really coming off to us like he's trying to give us as little as possible. And there was no timeframe on our contract. I want my pics now!

It does take time to edit photos, and you shouldn't expect unedited pics. Late January is pretty long, but the holidays could be a problem. 6-8 weeks is what I'd call a reasonable timeframe for a busy photographer.

Your contract should have explicitly stated the number of photos you expected to receive to avoid this kind of problem.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

OssiansFolly posted:

Now on to my question for some advice...my wedding is in October and we want to send out save the dates at the end of January/beginning February and then the invites at the end of may/beginning of June. We are catching a lot of slack from people that we are doing both of these "too early". Is this too early? I don't want to be chasing people last minute because I hate being rushed for things.

Yeah, that's too early. I'm busy, my wife was busy, all of our friends are busy, and it was basically a guarantee that people would be booked for travel if we waited too long... but that meant the Save the Dates for an October wedding went out in March, and the invites went out early July. Our friends are bonded to their calendars; if you have a more typical group then the consequence of sending out invites that early is chasing down every RSVP and dealing with cancellations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Wife is a biologist with a fairly prominent pronged solitaire setting. I did make sure to not get pointy prongs, but gloves are totally fine, so don't feel locked into bezel settings or anything.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

the terminology is so arbitrary, sexuality is so fluid. and everything just goes to hell at the vernal equinox. no point putting labels on everything

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I am not wearing a rental tuxedo.

Why not? When else are you planning to wear a tuxedo? Why are you buying one if budget is an issue?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Most rentals look like garbage because both parties have no clue what they're doing, but if you have a good store and you know what you want, then you can make a rental work. It's not all polyester ponchos out there. The real issue is that at retail, the minimum acceptable tux (for someone who would bristle at midrange rental quality) is at least $600 for just the jacket, pants, and shirt. If you can find some steals on eBay, then that's great, and I have at least heard magical tales of such things happening, but it's going to take serious time and effort. While I don't think it's unreasonable to spend that much on a wedding tux, even if you'll barely (if ever) wear it in the future, it is not where I'd put my money if I'm on a tight budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

iPhone print quality is fine for prints up to 8x10 and your eye might be fine with somewhat larger formats. I find it to be way more of a hassle to haul around even a small camera than my phone, so it's usually either phone or DSLR for me... but if having a distinct camera sounds like a good idea to you, then at least you get SD storage, adjustable settings, and a better flash out of it.