Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

teacup posted:

drat so only she gets to be the one who comes home and when someone says how was your holiday she just wiggles her hand in front of their face

or is it a bit gay for a guy to want to do that

I'll admit to having some of that same desire. But yes, only her. Unless you want to be nontraditional, which is of course perfectly okay.

:effortpost:

For designing her ring yourself (which I also did), I found a local jeweler, not a shop, not a chain store, just a local jeweler that has a large portfolio on her website, and went in to get it designed. Made comments, brought a picture of her, had specifics in mind but not the entirety or all the details, etc. Found her through Groupon, though I'd imagine that's not the usual way.

Anyway, once you've found a jeweler you like, there's a number of options for keeping price down (local jeweler should be much cheaper than a large chain or a nice jewelry shop). First off, the band. There are materials that are more expensive (24k gold) and less expensive (white gold, non-golds like titanium). Gem-wise, you can get a synthetic diamond (moissanite or others) or a non-diamond if you want to cut cost there.

After that, voila! Ring for 1-2k!

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Perhaps invite friends and family to a dinner at a nice restaurant, where there can be a celebration but it doesn't have to be monstrously large or involve a large party?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Emasculatrix posted:

Well, I called the bride and explained my financial situation and how I wasn't sure how to pay for her dress. I asked if I could buy a used dress in a different style, but the same color. And she said she'd have to think very hard, because it was very important to her that we all match. She told me to think about if I'd be able to handle all the expenses and get back to her about if I want to be in her wedding party. Then she suggested I put everything (shoes, dress, bridal shower expenses, trip to vegas, makeup, hotel room, etc) on my charge card.

I guess the ball's back in my court, but that conversation definitely cleared up a bit for me.

...so, "go into debt for me or don't be in my bridal party"? Sorry, but as someone who sees credit cards as money, not as free money, that's what that sounds like.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Does he have a moral objection to alcohol? Financial objection? Just thinks it's unnecessary?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Butt Wizard posted:

Friend/relative you know will get drunk and embarrass everyone objection?

Also a perfectly valid objection.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tender Child Loins posted:

Two months til the wedding and our officiant just backed out because I don't believe in God! Ughhhhh poo poo I'm already so tired of this crap. Maybe it's time to elope.

Honestly, I'd get the actual marriage done at town hall and have the wedding officiated by someone there. Or something.

That's so lovely, I'm sorry.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I'm liking more and more that my fiancee doesn't really want flowers haha

Likewise, likewise. Except instead she's very allergic.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

triplexpac posted:

My fiancee wants to do one of those websites that people can visit to get all the maps & info they'll need for our wedding. Is there a general consensus on what is the best website for that? A friend suggested weddingwire.com , just curious what else is out there.

Writing one yourself because you're a web developer and your fiancee is an artist so can do design work is...a more work-intensive way. Rewarding, though! (plus I got to write my own rsvp system)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

gogogiraffes posted:

This. Fiancé is def most excited with the website. And we use google docs for RSVP'ing and it breaks it down to how many of each cupcake has been chosen.

...if we were doing cupcakes, I certainly would have added that to the system.

Anyway, without having this particular skill, I'd just go with theknot or some other one, yeah.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

(by the way, a single how-we-met page is not actually unreasonable, nor is a page letting people know who is in the wedding parties, pictures of parents, etc)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cpaka posted:

When I was ring shopping, I looked in a number of local jewelry stores, as well as online for a design for a nice sapphire engagement ring. I didn't really find anything that struck a chord with me, and ended up going to a small, independent jeweler and having a custom ring made. The process was interesting, creative, and involving, and one that I personally enjoyed a lot. The end result was a beautiful, unique ring that is completely and entirely "yours" and quite literally one-of-a-kind - if that sort of thing is important to you. Don't discount the possibility of having something custom made, because you have a much greater amount of control over the final product.

EDIT: I guess I should mention that I'm the guy and the ring was a "secret", she had no direct knowledge or input into the design. Obviously your situation is different.

That's...almost identical to my situation. She knew that things were coming, and had given me very general preferences of what she liked in rings, but zero input into the design. Came out really well and very one-of-a-kind!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

My fiancee said she'd turn me down if the ring costed more than 1200 or so. Make sure it's okay with her, but don't let "society" (read: exploitative diamond companies) dictate how much an engagement ring should cost.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm going to third moissanite before my fiancee can, since I know she loves it. On the other hand, she refused to let me spend much more than a grand all told, but 1200 or so got a fantastic custom fitting with a nicely sized moissanite.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That Beatles song is our last dance, it's a pretty popular choice it seems!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

triplexpac posted:

At the same time, you don't want to be TOO casual about it. Literally everyone you tell about this is going to ask HOW DID YOU PROPOSE?!

So yeah, you don't need to hire a band and rent out a restaurant, but try to be a little clever or romantic about it at least.

On the other hand, "I surprised her at home!" is enough to get them off your backs, however it happened.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

If it's not in the contract, they're probably not obligated to let you use their space for the rehearsal. Have you asked them? Staying in constant communication is a good thing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Finally got the ring, now just need to figure out how, any ideas?

Inside your favorite mutual board game box! Well, okay, it only works if both of you are into boardgames.

What I'm saying is, find something that makes sense for you and her!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That is complete and utter bullshit; what you "should" spend on a ring is the amount to find a ring you like, your to-be-fiancee likes, and will look pretty. Hopefully somewhat durable, too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Spiffster posted:

Looks like our wedding rings are going to be where most of the money is going... Just over 1200 for the rings... That's going to hurt... How much have you goons spent on your wedding rings?

Ours were less than 500 combined; mine was way more than hers cause I have giant fingers.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

I make pretty good money? :shobon:

I hope you weren't assuming 3 months was required. And, sorry about the situation, dude! :smith:

(god I hate the diamond industry)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Uh. In general, if there's a gem on it, it's an engagement ring, if not, it's a wedding ring.

Not that people don't make exceptions, but just get a ring made out of some sort of shiny metal, with some sort of shiny stone on it, and you're good.

Good on her for not wanting expensive diamonds though!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nessa posted:

So does anyone have any ideas for substitutes for wedding bands? At least for the ceremony? I wear jewelry a lot, but my fiancé doesn't and won't, so even if we were to get wedding bands, one of them would be forever unworn, and that kind of defeats the purpose of having wedding bands, doesn't it? I'm looking for some kind of alternative.

Friend of mine has a ring, but because it was a family heirloom and didn't fit and he didn't want to resize it, he wears it on a chain around his neck. Perhaps something on a chain?

Get a really, really snazzy gold-plated credit card-looking thing?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

He won't even wear a "manly" wedding band?

I'm sorry, but "I don't wear jewelry" seems like a real flimsy excuse for not wearing a wedding ring. It's a small piece of metal he won't even notice he's wearing after a day or two. It's not like you're asking him to wear a gold pimp chain that says "Nessa's husband" or something.

Although, hot drat, I'd wear a chain like that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Why is it that seemingly all engagement rings have some sort of diamond on them? What's wrong with using a birthstone, a Peridot for instance?

Would my potential fiancee hate me forever if I gave her a Peridot engagement ring instead of a diamond?

Uh it's probably best to figure that out before purchasing a ring. Varies by person. My wife told me flat out that she wanted a moissanite and that if I bought a real diamond she'd throw it back.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

At least you didn't say 3 months, which is *definitely* DeBeers propaganda. Figure out what kind of stone you want, what kind of ring, what she likes, and figure out what you can afford.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

My girlfriend said she doesn't really want an incredibly public proposal but I don't want to just show up at home with a ring and be like "hey I got you this thing catch."

I figure the photobooth proposal is the best option for proposals for me. A) You get a hilarious/adorable photostrip to remember forever B) Its simultaneously public and private.

Since her bday is around the corner, I can say "Hey, for your Bday, lets go to the Museum of Science" then have an excellent day at a place she loves that ends in a photobooth with a ring. Though if I ask her and she says "nah I just want clothes for my birthday" I'm need a plan B, which may end up being the "look I put your ring on your cats collar" thing.

Anyways, I'm going to ask her Dad today for her hand in marriage/for him to make me a ring if his Jeweller skills are up to it. I'm not as nervous as I though I would be but :aaa: Wish me luck.

I will say...I basically just showed up at home with a ring, put it in a board game box, and was like "Hey I got you this thing, marry me please?". So don't discount super duper private.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

No I knows its fine and doesn't devalue a marriage or whatever. I just really want a film strip of a proposal!

It does sound pretty neat. If it's the MoS in Boston, you should get married there, that's what we did!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

That sounds awesome but also really expensive!

Also I need to triple check there is even a photobooth at the MoS in boston! I think theres a weird one there that you can post your strip to facebook.

E: I might post in the boston LAN thread to find out, because the general mass LAN thread yeilded zero response.

I honestly couldn't tell you, having been to the museum dozens of times. :v:

It was pretty expensive, yeah, and have to use their caterer. Lovely venue, though, good staff, and it's really what both of us wanted.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's extremely true. Anything Worcester-wards will be much cheaper venue-wise (historical building, whatever), and probably vendor-wise as well. You can make people drive an extra half hour.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

My god yes, definitely had hurt feelings. It sucks. We had space, so added the person who was feeling hurt (and a matching person on the other side) but that's obviously not a solution if it's lots o friends.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Solus M.D. posted:

I paid $900 for my photographer.

I doubt this would be possible outside of the flyovers though.

Or if you get a good "just starting out, portfolio but not too many, need more really good sets" photographer, but we got loving lucky, so.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Any recommendation's on websites for booking the honeymoon? I tried Expedia and it doesn't want to process my request for some reason.

TripAdvisor!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

We did a fruit joining, since we're silly foodies. Apples from new england, figs from california, eat them together and came up with a justification like "apples represent new england, the earth, fertility (we didn't mention that one), figs represent cali, etc etc". Find something, anything, that connects the two of you, and just create something out of thin air! It was pretty fun, too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Financé?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

OssiansFolly posted:

Did any of you guys or your SO get cold feet? My fiancé is freaking out a month and a half before the wedding and talking about how she may not want to go through with it...not only is this heartwrenching but it is scaring the hell out of me! I have to live in fear that she could just wake up and decide to call the wedding all of a sudden which means we lose everything we've put into it so far both time, effort, the relationship and the money. Any advice to help her calm down?

Yeah that sounds horrifying; have a serious discussion with her, and maybe therapy? Like, "Can't we just elope this wedding planning is awful!" is one thing, and very common; "This is too much maybe we should just not get married and I should run away to a convent" (paraphrasing" is less so.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh, okay, that's a bit better. Then yeah, remind her of happy things, I'm kinda serious about therapy though, a good therapist is worth their weight in gold.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

OssiansFolly posted:

Wedding guests remember 3 things...Food, Booze, and Music. Hell, my friend got married last year and I asked her what her centerpieces were and even SHE couldn't remember.

haha. On the other hand, I remember our centerpieces quite well, since they were scrabble sets :hellyeah:

Honestly music isn't really remember that well either. Food and booze. And maybe the first dance or the kiss or maaaaaaybe one or two lines from the vows or speeches.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ilysespieces posted:

The only "rule" for giving a wedding gift is give what you can afford. You gave an incredibly generous gift that you said you could afford, I would be shocked if I received that from a friend but I'd be incredibly grateful. Some people use that stupid "pay what your plate costs", but if you're a struggling student and you're invited to a black tie event or if you're loaded and throw money around and are invited to a backyard bbq wedding, that rule is bunk.

Yeah, shocked but grateful is the very, very likely reaction. That can pay for a plane ticket for the honeymoon, or get stashed towards a down payment, or who knows what, whereas a blender not so much. This may be my Chinese in-laws influencing me, but cash is the most versatile gift and that's a very nice, generous one at that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It is completely unreasonable and happens quite a bit even so.

Well, even moreso, the getting mad is completely unreasonable; it's fine to have the parties but assume that people can't come from afar unless they tell you otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PersonalGenius posted:

Has there ever been a wedding in the history of the world, wherein you didn't have to harass people for their RSVP?

My invites were email only. They don't even had the added annoyance of walking to the mailbox!

Courthouse?