Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I have a big red card with "Don't loving touch" written on it that goes under the cover of the breaker box when I'm working in there.

What if they're color blind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Uthor posted:

I ended up getting Red Wings last weekend and wore them all day today. Promptly dropped a piece of steel onto my toes. Got my value out of them!

Now I need to figure out how to get my intern to put my loving tools back.

Pretty sure your redwings can help there too...

(please don’t kick your intern)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

wesleywillis posted:

My nephew just got his first whip. 2006 Ranger, 2wd.

I'm looking to hook him up with some poo poo for it for jesus day.

I'm planning on regifting his rear end some booster cables, I've got 2 or maybe 3 sets sitting in a closet. I'm going to try to find a small 12v compressor, a few bags of sand (seriously), and maybe some better headlight bulbs.

Also a tire repair kit.
I have this one https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-tire-toolbox-0092103p.html#Reviews It works sufficiently, but the straight grip on the rasp and string poker shits is awkward to use. I've got a strong grip, and I'm not a weakling and it wasn't easy for me to shove that poo poo in and out. He's a skinny, 17 year old kid, not a real man like his cheapskate uncle.

Problem is, the kits that have the T handles, don't come with other poo poo. Only the pokers and string plugs.

I've looked, but can't really find much else available with as much poo poo as the first kit I posted, problem is, its got the pokers with the lovely handles. I've checked on Amazon, but most of the kits I've seen on there I kinda question the quality of them. I at least have personal experience with the victor kit. Any suggestions? I could just get him a plastic container and add all the components together, since I'm also going to try and get a small pair of needle nose/side cutters so he can yank out nails/screws etc but I'm a broke rear end bitch and a horrible, cheap uncle.

Can anyone think of anything else I should look for in addition to the above?

Maybe a nice harbor freight breaker bar + appropriate socket for his wheels?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Anyone have a recommendation for a digital torque wrench? 3/8. I know I don't need it, I just want one. I'll use it mostly on motorcycles so really only has to go up to 100nm max if that's an issue.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HandlingByJebus posted:

The AC Delco digital torque adapters are awesome and I love them. I have one in 1/2” and one in 3/8”.

Do they work as well as a torque wrench? I feel like I read something about them adding in error to what would otherwise obviously be 100% accurate.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HandlingByJebus posted:

I don’t get how that would be the case. They use strain gauges on the output shaft so they’re measuring torque output to whatever you attach to them, just like a torque wrench would do, with the benefit of being able to place them closer to a socket in an extension / flex stack when you need to use one. They claim +/- 2% clockwise and +/- 3% anti-clockwise accuracy and I’ve stopped double-checking them. :)

Yeah, that makes sense when I think about it. Are you sure I should base purchases on what makes sense and not on some vague recollection I have from several years ago?

Thanks!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Any reason not to get these if I want to buy 18V tools? Because I need them, obviously. I mostly work on motorcycles and my giant lovely van for hauling motorcycles so I’m assuming the difference between these and the fuel versions isn’t worth it for me?

Also, wera stuff is the best. I’ve never regretted buying any of it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

BraveUlysses posted:

seems like an ok deal...do you need a drill to work on your vehicles? personally i would prioritize an m12 ratchet (fuel or not), a "stubby" m12 in 3/8 or 1/2, and an m18 impact mid or high torque over any of those tools in that kit. get at least one big battery for m12 or m18.

hackzalls seem cool but i feel like if you want that kind of tool the m12 fuel version makes more sense, since the tool is quite a bit smaller and fits in small areas better. if you have room to cut something with a m18 hackzall you might already be able to put a corded sawzall on it.

acme has some tool deals today on milwaukee

mid torque m18 for 279+fs:
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/milwaukee-2860-22

Free Milwaukee starter kit (bag and two big batteries) with 2 selct M18 FUEL bare tools:
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/milwaukee-free-battery-promotions-2

combo kits:
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/milwaukee-free-tool-promotions-2

Right now I have a few makita 12v tools that I really like - drill, impact, multi tool. I just want 18v tools because I like tools and because I need a grinder and I wouldn't mind an impact wrench that actually worked on car stuff (vs. bike stuff). But I don't really need anything (other than the grinder which is really also just a want) as there's very little I can't do myself with, for example, a breaker bar. I was looking at Milwaukee because they have more tools to look at than Makita does and I like looking at tools.

Corded stuff isn't an option for me because I live in NYC so it's all super shady sitting in the street working on things while passers-by gawk and think to themselves "it really is shocking that they're letting people destroy perfectly good automobiles like that nowadays."

I suppose i was looking at it as a nice intro set I could build off of (comes with batteries, that + grinder seems like a nice start for M18) but the points about the batteries and the impact mid/high are very good ones, thank you. Seems like the thing I actually need + mid/high impact torque under that acme deal would be perfect. Thanks!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I love that idea as well. My shopvac is now part of a dust collection system, but I put that on wheels too.
Mine is more used for woodworking than anything else.

Just tell them you’re part of a group of wera-hot air balloon enthusiasts.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Powershift, I have you to blame/thank for this:

I have zero need for that, but I really want it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, it's an unteachable skill as far as I can tell, it makes managing a fleet of guys right out of school who are trusted to use tools for complex jobs pretty challenging, one of those guys will set the torque on the wrench, then just go whole hog, thinking "it's not supposed to torque anymore" once it reaches the setpoint, or they'll have the dial torque wrench needle bound up on the stop, and they'll wonder why it's still indicating 0 when they have 100 ft/lbs on the fastener.

And then there's trying to teach them how to safety-wire....

Can you not have like a remedial torque wrench instruction or does it just not take?

How do you get safety-wiring wrong? I don't even understand.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

wesleywillis posted:

Only a bit? Deflate a tire completely and then fill it up. Report.

please

I have the dewalt one and it's fantastic. I cannot recommend it enough. It's the kind of tool that's absurdly expensive for what it is but I would instantly buy another tomorrow if mine broke and I've used it way more than I would have expected.

Anyway, I've used it to fill up a couple van tires (although not all the way, from 10psi to ~45 iirc). Here's the project farm on it though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkxpuzYggd4&t=420s Milwaukee is faster for regular car tires but seems like it's worse for truck tires. Also, Milwaukee is their m12 vs dewalt being the 20v.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Best deal I’ve seen from not-eBay for the big dewalt impact with hog ring instead of detent pin. No tax or shipping either.
https://www.jbtools.com/dewalt-dcf899hb-20v-brushless-ht-1-2-impact-wrench-hog-ring-bare-tool-new/

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I try not to post a bunch of deals to this thread just because I like tools but this...

wesleywillis posted:

Finally got around to ordering the Milwaukee nut fucker 5000. 300 bucks plus gub'mint extortion fee. I'm most definitely looking forward to using it for some nut loving. Last time I had my car in to get a wheel bearing replaced I neglected to specify to the service advisor to have the tech use a torque wrench on the lug nuts. I expect to have no troubles.

reminded me of how just I laughed the first time I used mine because it was so great. I have the dewalt version which is currently on just a ridiculous deal if you're willing to deal with detent pin instead of hog ring. https://toolguyd.com/dewalt-brushless-impact-wrench-kit-dcf899m1-deal-112020/ $200 for tool + 4ah battery, charger and bag.

e: looks like the milwaukee version is now $250 with a 5ah battery. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200786986_200786986

builds character fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 13, 2020

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

angryrobots posted:

Probably worth mentioning, HD has this combo with a M18 Milwaukee 1/2 impact plus the M12 3/8 ratchet, one battery for each and a combo charger for $199.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-22RH/313668275

It's the older brushed impact at "only" 450 ft-lbs tightening (and no separate listed loosening torque?), but plenty sufficient for most here I think. The 3/8 ratchet is endlessly handy for under-hood car stuff. I'm fully DeWalt for bigger tools, but I've bought into M12.

I just got the m12 3/8 stubby but am similarly bought into DeWalt for 18/20v. Is there anything else in the m12 line that's really good/you'd recommend getting?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Awesome, thank you.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

:stare: 470,000 yen to USD = $4,500.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
There's also a 20v Dewalt inflator that's my favorite of the ones I've tried (over the M12 and Ryobi ones although in fairness I haven't tried the ryobi deluxe).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rhyno posted:

It's this one

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I picked up a second one at a ToolDirect place down south for $30 so my wife has one in her car now too.

So... exactly the same as the dewalt one but half the price? Those are great.

e: vvvvvvvv I have both the m12 and the 20v and I think either one is good (and presumably that ryobi deluxe is good too) depending on what ecosystem you're already in. The dewalt one I liked so much that it was the first thing I bought after I had a bunch of tools stolen, but really battery inflators are like magic and everyone should have one.

builds character fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 25, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

I could almost justify going with a full M12 line of tools, just for the stubby 3/8 impact and the compact ratchet, then it wouldn't compete with my buy-in to DeWalt's 20V line.

They have a new compact ratchet coming out... https://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-m12-fuel-high-speed-ratchets-012020/ Anyway, this is what I did. Milwaukee 12v and DeWalt 20v. I just like tools.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Krakkles posted:

Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosch, Makita are all good. Milwaukee probably has the largest ecosystem. Bosch & Makita are probably the most expensive. Other than that, I think they're all pretty interchangeable.

I have a lot of red tools and I'm very happy with them. Depending on what you're cutting, Milwaukee has a 12v hackzall (one handed sawzall, basically), an 18v hackzall, and an 18v sawzall. Definitely prefer the 18v for these.

Always seemed like Milwaukee is the most expensive to me? Just looked up the high impact torque wrench at HD for example, and Makita's kit is $260 (on sale though) and Milawaukee is $350. Ryobi is only $209 for a kit but does have lower torque numbers.

I think it depends a lot on how price sensitive you are and how much you care about "this is the best consumer version" vs. this one does just fine. A buddy who is a much better mechanic than I am has all ryobi because they're cheap and good enough. I bought dewalt for 20v and milwaukee for 12v and sadly they didn't make me any better but they are really nice tools.

Anyway, my two cents are if you care about prosumer nonsense or really use your tools then I'd get either of dewalt (better for woodworking stuff, slightly cheaper and generally easier to find on sale) or milwaukee (better for auto). If you don't, then just get roybi because it's also good and a lot cheaper. $109 for two impact wrenches!

If you can wait and care a lot about price, there's always ridiculous sales around fathers day too.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Valt posted:

Oh god, Wasabi is right its davidsfarm that is the pedo guy I believe. Sorry a lot of these channels are pretty similar and searching for this stuff is terrifying.

Whew!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

wesleywillis posted:

This one:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2767-20

If it doesn't bust axle nuts and suspension poo poo, then you need a torch.
Make sure to get some appropriate sockets.

This is definitely the right answer. It’s a little more expensive but if you’re going to spend a couple hundred dollars on an impact wrench why not spend a little more and be sure you got one that will take everything off?

I have tekton impact sockets that seem fine and then the Astro nano sockets that are a delight.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

meatpimp posted:

You buy the ratchet, then the long neck ratchet.

In Milwaukee chat, I'm pissed -- my M18 7 1/4" circular saw is completely fucky. It won't start at all unless you give it some percussive therapy, and even then it starts with a grinding-gear sound, if not a full-on stutter. The thing has seen maybe 5 hours of use in a year and a half. I know it's under warranty, but come on, that's bullshit.

You have to wait until the new ratchet comes out in like a month!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Big Taint posted:

I also highly recommend throwing all your cotton socks away and wearing wool ones, just generally.

This is a pro tip.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

tuna posted:

I would like to discuss clothing for car work and fab. My wonderful wife bought me a lincoln electric welding jacket a year or so ago and its done me well, lots of grinding, welding and also rolling around on floors where there are always sharp metal shavings. It's starting to get pretty worn through, torn and some speed holes burned through it from overhead grinding (very hot ~1cm pieces of metal landing on it melting through). It's also summer so it gets smelly real quick so a few more in the rotation is probably a good idea.

Couple of issues with it though: 1) no breast pockets! I'd love to be able to clip in a 6" ruler and a sharpie and keep them on me at all times like a dork. 2) its not stretchy at all, this might be a limitation of flame resistant clothing in general? Or is it? 3) It doesn't make me look like Guy Fieri enough

Anyway just wondering if you all know of good whatever mechanic/welding jackets that basically have pockets and aren't made entirely out of leather.

Also interested in pants suggestions! I use whatever cheap costco or carhartt pants because they are thick and fairly cheap, but are there better options for them too? Maybe with built in knee padding?

Not clothes, but for kneeling these are fantastic. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003UESK5K?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Late to the party for gas can chat but I like these a lot too. The “hose bender” seemed like a dumb gimmick but it works really well and is actually great. https://riskracing.com/products/ez-utility-jug?variant=31405620396126

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Virgil Vox posted:

What makes a toolbox so expensive? It seems like fairly simple structure?

kastein posted:

The way I look at it I can take a month off work and have stainless 14ga custom laser cut and brake bent into the shapes needed and weld and bolt it all together and get more drawers for less monetary loss than a snapon.

Why don't more folks do this?

knox_harrington posted:

Getting a socket set for working on motorbikes, should I go for a 3/8" set?

Is one like this Wiha set OK?
https://www.distrelec.ch/en/ratchet-set-22-pieces-wiha-44708/p/30215789

There are Wera ones and the pouch they come in is better for me, but also twice as expensive.
https://www.distrelec.ch/en/ratchet-set-22-pieces-wiha-44708/p/30215789

e: ah the Weras are 6 point.

Old post, but depending on your bike you also very much want JIS screwdrivers/bits.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

kastein posted:

I can't remember the last time I used a 9 outside the range, but 11 I can think of... Exactly two examples.

GM/Jeep style intermediate steering shaft pinch bolts, and XJ/MJ/ZJ Aisin transmission crankshaft position sensor mounting bolts.

That's like, it. Why the gently caress does 11mm exist?

E: on the list of sizes that exist and shouldn't, gently caress GM and their 7mm fascination. gently caress you. gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you. I would trade that for 8mm or 1/4" in a second. And gimme a drat 7mm socket not a 9mm, tool companies.

11mm gets used in motorcycles for bolts that used to be 12mm but got sized down so that manufacturers could save weight. So... like 43 bolts worldwide.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Krakkles posted:

Combos, Craftsman is nice, Pittsburgh is fine. Ratcheting, I like the Gearwrench line, unless you want to spring for the Jokers - they're REALLY nice, but they're also really expensive.

Seconding gearwrench for ratcheting. I hit them with a rubber mallet a lot more than I should and they’ve done well so far. I’m 100% sure there are far nicer tools out there but it’s your money not mine.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
fwiw, gearwrench sale at Amazon. https://toolguyd.com/gearwrench-tool-deals-amazon-10302021/

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I thought the point of the new m12 fuel ratchet was that it just zipped stuff on/off and was the only one that was rated to hand torque stuff on/off as well? So you get it started/finish it and do the rest with the tool. I know nobody listens to that and everyone uses them to manually torque away at the beginning/end anyway but I thought that was the pitch.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Uh, is it not just like two safety wire things put together? Not trying to be difficult about this, but what’s the advantage over just using regular safety wire twist pliers twice?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I've read some very strongly worded opinions from folks on how dielectric grease is bad for connectors and should not be used on connectors ever because connectors are supposed to conduct electricity and dielectric grease does not. That said, it's very common to put it on all your dirt bike connectors if you're someone who gets a new bike and takes it apart to regreases the stearing stem and swing arm bearings and I've used it a few times and never had any issues (from the dielectric grease or from riding through sandy puddles) with those ever again so I think it's good stuff.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

runaway pancake posted:

kinda late but i would suggest getting one that is compatible with plus nuts (pre bulbed rivet nuts) as well. i prefer these to regular rivet nuts in many cases.

you need a longer mandrel to set plus nuts, so the harbor freight tool and most astros will not work.

i have the astro 1450, which does everything, and it works really well

I just bought that! Only used it once but it seems excellent and I love that the blown plastic case includes a little extra cubby for stuff like your rivnuts.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Crossposting because I am getting serious decision paralysis. Help?

builds character posted:

Next up we moved inside. I managed to jam all my tools into those (plus one or two more blown plastic cases, not pictured).

And now the question is… poo poo.

What is the smallest, most efficient way that I can put all these back in the van?

I had used the big dewalt bin for power tools, medium for random junk, small for random junk and toolbox for random junk.

My initial plan is as follows but please give me your better suggestions because I’m not sure it’s a great plan as it relies heavily on ziploc bags to consolidate.

1. Get rid of as many blow molded plastic boxes as I can. Anything that’s a socket goes on a rail (except the ktm toolkit as that was a gift).
2. Ditch the random flathead screwdrivers as I got the nice wera ones for Christmas.
3. All assorted bolts go in a little bucket.
4. Screwdrivers together in a plastic bag.
5. Anything that looks like pliers in another bag.
6. Hammers at the bottom.
7. Tire changing tools + lube in their own plastic bag.
8. Wiring stuff in its own bag.
9. Punches in a bag.
10. Wrenches in a bag.
11. Grinding wheels in a bag.
12. Broken bolt removal stuff in a bag.
13. Get rid of anything I haven’t used in the past two years.
14. Toss it all back in and see how it fits.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Uthor posted:

(I had to look to figure out the exact question, OP is keeping stuff in a van (van lyfe?)).

Bags for organizing can be space saving. I have and like these, though I sometimes worry about the zippers (no issues so far, but not super smooth).

Canvas Tool Pouch Zipper Bag - 5 Pack Utility Bags Heavy Duty Metal Zippers Pouches with Carabiner, Multi Durable Storage Organizer Clip on Tote Bags by TENGYES https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CH3H8CF/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_FQEKTDK2N6MMQAW1M4D1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Klein makes an upgraded version.

Anything that organizes will take up space. Drawers, dividers, cases, etc. I'd say bags and big cavernous boxes would be most efficient.

Tool rolls? Would be good for sockets and screwdrivers.

Can you purchase new tools that do multiple things? Like, a bit driver instead of separate screwdrivers.

Edit: hey, I have that same impact driver!

Yeah, I have a van that I keep motorcycles in and these are all the van and motorcycle tools that I want to keep in there. Because space is at a premium I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep all this in there that it's still actually accessible but also doesn't take up half the van. Because, you know, bikes. Those pouches look great, thanks! Good replacement for ziplocs.

Sure, I'm happy to spend money on things! I want to keep the yellow wera screwdrivers because they're the chisel version but good call on the bit driver for the phillips head.

I guess that's really part of it - just being ruthless about getting rid of excess tools given the premium on space. The truth is that for bikes I can do almost everything with just the little wera toolkit above the makita box. But that changes a bit when you start considering van tools.

It's good, right? I like it mine a lot anyway.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Hypnolobster posted:

I've got a kit built that's pretty well organized. Not the same size as that pile of tools but it might give you some ideas. I use this for roadtrips, some of it for junkyards, etc. I've been meaning to post pictures of this in here for a long time anyways since talking about mobile kits like a year ago.

Harbor freight pelican case knockoff, really goddamn nice boxes.

That's roughly the bottom layer of stuff. Wrenches are in a tool roll I made, and the pockets are oversized so I can stuff ratcheting wrenches in next to the regular box ends.

Bags of drivers and other small tools(somehow currently missing my 1/4" hex bit kit??), a bag of ratchets, bigger sockets, a 1/4" hex driver, and extensions (sometimes there's an axle nut socket in here too), and a bag of two-handled-pinchy-things. Snips are awesome for yanking off rattling heat shields, big channel locks are super useful in various situations, little bolt cutters, klein pliers-wrench, and otherwise normal stuff.

Electrical stuff. This varies depending on what's going on. Used to be a butane soldering iron, but I'm going to throw a Pinecil in there once they're back in stock. Overkill, but it takes up very little space. Fuses, crimps, jumpers, etc. Also a bag with zip ties and a clamptite.

Another little home made tool roll that keeps files from banging together, and keeps a mirror from being scratched. Bonus place to store trim tools. I don't usually have that big multimeter, it's normally a Fluke 101.

I've also got part of a 1/4" drive kit that I'll sometimes throw in there, as well as a pared-down 1/2" kit, usually only bringing the sizes that should exist on the car if it's coming on a road trip. I don't usually take duplicate sizes of anything, keeping 3/8" the primary size.

It's great, I love the hell out of it. Saved my rear end 3-4 times since I made it a couple years ago, and it's been endlessly handy otherwise.

20 minute brake job in an autozone parking lot almost 3000 miles from home after the pads almost completely seized in the brackets.

This is super helpful and looks great, thanks!

Uthor posted:

Honestly, I think I used it once to remove a screw that was holding on a brake pad, then I got a battery powered impact and just that for everything. I'll pull it out next time I just need to loosen something and am worried about striping it, but it hasn't really come up.

It does have a real disadvantage in that it doesn't go brapp brapp brapp.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yerok posted:

If everything's gonna be in wrench rolls and bags I'd probably do the plumber van setup and screw an akro-mils flat rack (they're called louvered steel wall panels for some reason) to the wall and hang color coded plastic bins from it. The milwaukee packout stuff with some foam inserts is kinda cool but $$$ for red plastic.

I thought about pegboard, but…

Raluek posted:

idk, i would not trust these to stay put over the kinds of roads one traverses to take ones dirtbike out

And I have the dewalt equivalent. It just takes up a lot of space in the van.

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'd try a different starting point. Right now you're at "how can I fit this set of tools into the smallest volume". Try starting with "How much volume and what kind of containers am I actually willing to carry". Start with your tool containers first. Maybe have a kit for each major set of tasks?

The other starting point would be "what is the absolute minimum in tools that I absolutely have to have", which you could define as needing them within X amount of time or number of trips.

I’m willing to carry the dewalt system in the first picture but I would prefer taking up less space, all else being equal. I like the idea of major container for each task. I’m repurposing the red toolbox to be tire changing tools and hammers with room in a tray in top for something else that I’ll think about.

I’m going to try a smaller box for general purpose tools and then two bags for power tools and see what all is left over at that point.

I got rid of the tools from that picture that I didn’t use/were dupes so managed to reduce size a lot that way too, but now I think we’re down to what I consider the minimum for the van and bike tasks I’m doing.

SpeedFreek posted:

I'm always limited for weight so I never carry full tool sets when I travel but I've learned to break the tools up based on type/task and use those canvas tool pouches for what I can. The TSA dumps it all out when they dig through it anyway but its handy to swap smaller bags in and out of the pelican depending on what the trip is for.

One of the packout type systems looks great if you have a higher space/weight limit to work with, can still swap in and out cases depending on task and have some of the advantages of drawers. No pile of slightly different shaped blow mold cases that dont stack neatly too.

I have the dewalt version now but it’s big for keeping in the van. Maybe not too big, but I think I can get things down to a medium box, the red toolbox and then two bags for the power tools. The ideal would be having a garage where I could keep the pack out cases with foam in them for power tools and have a hanger with six different grinders, but the current constraints are van + things can come live in the apartment temporarily.

I did get rid of a ton of my blow molded cases and that’s helped with space a ton. Those things take up so much more room than I’d realized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

wesleywillis posted:

Its pretty goddam satisfying when you pay an "oh gently caress no" amount of money on a tool, but then the first time you use it, and it works perfectly/you do what you intended to do perfectly, and all of a sudden is "oh gently caress YES"!!

I want to empytquote this. It’s so true. “Oh, this is the right tool for the job!”