Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Aquila posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for quality jackstands are not from harbor freight? Floor jack too I guess.

Torin’s double locking jack stands have served me well. I have a set of 6 tons for holding up the 4Runner, but they also come in 2 or 3 ton capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

angryrobots posted:

:drat: Do you balance the whole truck on one stand?

It’s for the height, she’s kinda, uh, leggy.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

StormDrain posted:

It's gotta be a Diablo blade, nothing else compares for me.

I second this. I bought a Diablo 12” 80T for doing fine cuts on baseboard and quarter round and it’s life changing how clean it cuts. My cousin who was running the saw was also impressed and put one on her wish list then and there.

Irwin’s are good too but this thing is bi-metallic bullshit and sorcery of the first kind.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

slidebite posted:

I really wish Bosch had more 12V tools in their ecosystem. I like their size and torque but only a hand full of tools that use it.

Frickin' same, my 12V Bosch kit does 90% of the work around the house now and I went so far as to put in a product request for a 12V 3/8" ratchet. That was about six months ago and I got a polite but very form letter so I am not holding out much hope for one to be produced any time soon.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

boxen posted:

I know this comes up every so often, but is there any new hotness for socket holders? I just got a pile of sockets for my tool chest and I don't want to just let them roll around in the drawer. I'm not a huge fan of the metal rails but it'd be better than nothing.

There used to be a flexible rubber rail that people liked on some website (selling offroad tools or something?), but I don't think they're in production any more.

It’s not new hotness and it’s a rail system but I put my commonly used sockets on a big four rail panel:

When not in use it hangs up with its friends like so:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Frank Dillinger posted:

Agreed. I can’t stand rails for in my tool box. I’d rather have a nice little cut out to plunk them into. That being said, I just ordered a panel and inserts from the tool grid system, hopefully it’s as nice as it looks.

Check out magnetic socket organizers then. Ares Tools makes these: https://www.arestool.com/collections/socket-organizers

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Invalido posted:

The Grand Wall of Tools in the currently very messy garage is very much a work in progress. Lots of things are provisional and in the wrong place. However I managed to source som free recycled thick birch plywood strips. Also the good screwdriver situation feels finalized enough that I built a holder for them yesterday that should be permanent. Most of the socket holders are also good enough, but the rest will be replaced with nicer wood and lessons learned.

It's hard to tell from my lovely photo but I milled down most of the plywood strip so there's a raised edge in front, keeping the drivers in place if you bump them or something. The nice Wera drivers are Torx, Phillips, Pozidriv and flathead. The blue ones are JIS since Wera don't make those (at least I can't find any). I ran out of time so the labels will have to wait a bit.

This is a very satisfying post and your efforts will pay off every time you go to do a project because the stuff will just be there when you need it.

Being a systems integrator by day I went with a more off-the-shelf solution from Wall Control:

The initial setup with four panels. The cabinets are a combination of a recycled bath vanity and kitchen cabinets from a friend who was remodeling.

For phase 2 I experimented with magnetic strips to hold socket handles and extensions.

They are affixed to the panels by means of machine screws and rivet nuts.

Nope, I'm not OCD at all, and yes there are some scavenged under cabinets lights too

Sharpie'd socket types on the carrier to make my tool passer's job easier

More recently I went back and reorganized the drills and added a rack for battery storage.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

MRC48B posted:

I used a lever gun (vs pistol grip) with a longer hose and an end that clips onto the zerk.

clip it on, use both hands to operate grease gun.

This. An 18-24” hose plus a coupler make manual grease guns far less painful and messy to use.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

You might say I have a similar question about jackstands. The ones in stores always looked a bit... unreliable to me. Like they could topple if you hit the car or did something particularly aggro with stubborn bolt. But maybe it's just me.

Jack stands are designed to have a generous amount of resistance to tipping over. Far more often what happens is the cam slips which is why I only use double locking jack stands such as these:

Note the silver pin that slides through the frame and engages with the teeth of the moving portion of the jack stand. You can also get pedestal-style jack stands which rely on a through pin and not a cam lock.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Big Taint posted:

I think I’ve said it before in the thread, I refer to Princess Auto as Hoser Freight.

What about Canadian Tire?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Hadlock posted:

What do you use for storing fasteners? I have the old coffee can for random one-offs. Right now I'm going through a lot of 1/4 and 5/8 bolts and related hardware. And then I have a collection of smaller M1-5 stainless hardware for 3d printed stuff that lives in an organizer right now, plus an alarming number of zerks for some reason. Would be really nice to give everything a permanent home in the new garage

I'm also on team closable plastic tray. I have about a dozen of them of various sizes and each one has a general class of fastener or hardware in it e.g. drive screws in one, metric machine screws, nut and washers in another, parts specific to car X in another, etc.

This size is nice because it fits in a standard kitchen wall cabinet: https://www.stanleytools.com/product/stst14021/sortmaster-light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Just to be pedantic, but for an extension cable permanently stored in a gas powered vehicle, it's probably not overkill, SJOOW is probably the exactly correct cable/spec for the job. SOOW would merely be slight overkill.

If there's an option for a kevlar braided sleeve for added abrasion resistance, that would be overkill :black101::hf::ese:

Not if you happen to need to tow someone out and don't have a tow strap! :science: