Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Would that mean that Craftsman warranty stuff would (eventually) be brought to lowes?
Kinda sad if Craftsman ended up being shuttered. I'd guess that pretty much every AI goon in here managed to destroy something as a kid using their dad's Craftsman tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Whats the diff between regular Milwaukee M18 and M18 fuel?

Can M18 batteries be used/charged with fuel products? Can fuel batteries be used/charged on regular M18 products?
I'm looking at picking up a Sawzall of the regular joe scumbag M18 variety, but was perhaps, considering the Fuel version, if I don't have to buy separate batteries, chargers etc.

I am aware that (most likely) Fuel tool performance wouldn't be as good with the joe scumbag 18v batteries as with the fuel batts.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

The basic Milwaukee line use brushed motors (brushes will degrade and need to be replaced,) the second one up is Milwaukee Brushless (no brushes or diminished power output to worry about) and the top of the line is FUEL. The FUEL lineup have upgraded brushless motors and a digital controller that helps with heat dissipation and power efficiency. There is a pretty big difference in power and battery life with the FUEL models, even over the regular brushless tools.

The M12 and M18 batteries will work with any tool in its respective family, the only difference being the capacity (1.5Ah, 4Ah, 9Ah, etc.)

Just buy a kit on sale and get bare tools as you need them.

Yeah, I've already got the (5 years ago version) 18v impact and drill kit plus a couple spare batteries. My next purchase is likely the Sawzall, followed by Radio, small cut off tool (circular saw basically) and then...........................? bare tools and extra batteries as needed

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Will dry graphite spray suffice instead of grease?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Wrar posted:

Any recommendations for a set of metal files?

Stick with a good brand name. Lots of guys have boners for Nicholson.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

This talk of cordless stuff and batteries etc particularly the Mil M18 stuff has made me think a bit.

Sure there are a lot of tools available for the m18 stuff, but how practical is it?
I get things like drill/impact, sawzall, hand held work light and a few of those things, but like how many cuts would you be able to get out of the compound bevel sliding mitre saw? How long is the battery going to last on your angle grinder, of the SDS plus hammer drill etc?

The only really practical use I see for *most* of that stuff is if you were say working at a site with no power, only had a little bit of work to do, and didn't want to lug around a generator/ extension cords. Or you're hoofing it in to the bush to work on your shack/rape lair, and same thing, you ain't got power and its not practical to lug around a generator.

I love my m18 poo poo, but I killed 4 batteries five times drilling 4 holes through the floor of a cube van with 2x something floor (ship lap boards I think they're called) using a 3 inch hole saw. I'm not trying to be all "cordless/m18 poo poo sucks" but it seems like a lot of that poo poo doesn't have a practical use beyond "gently caress yeah its cordless" or quick set up for quick/small jobs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

You must have had a bad set of batteries or a blunt hole saw or had it running backwards because that's abnormal. As a guide I've put a 58mm holesaw through brick half a dozen times on a 2.4ah battery and not had it show even a quarter depleted, and that's with a ryobi, Milwaukee are better.

Cordless tools are practical, not just where you don't have electricity but everywhere. I did a little reno work last weekend and used 2 different drills, plunge saw, reciprocating saw and vacuum, only the plunge and recip saws were corded and were the most awkward to use because of it. All that work was done 3 feet from a wall outlet.

The saw was brand new, and I still have the batteries. It may have been the wood? This was through the floor of a cube van box, so they probably use hardwood as opposed to some softwood bullshit. The saw was running forward too. I did bind the saw up several dozen times over the course of each hole. But I don't think I was pushing down too hard or anything.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now, I still have the batteries, and the tools. You guys all made good points WRT batteries, practicality and whatnot. Particularly the dude who mentioned working in wet conditions, and cords being trip hazards etc.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm looking at an M12 rotary tool on Amazon right now, I've got a 50 dollar amazon card from jesus day, a 40 dollar prepaid visa from sending in cereal box tops from cart parts and the tool is 79 bucks. So with tax it'll pretty much eat up everything (free shipping). I still need a battery though.

They seem to range about 50 bucks each. And I'm broke as gently caress. The home despot website is being a dick right now and I can't compare prices. So....... Whats the opinion on getting one of these brand X batteries off amazon? I'd like to have 2 batteries for this thing, and I can get a 2 pack of brand x batteries for the same price as one legit Milwaukee battery.

Thats not a permanent solution, and I don't expect the chinesium batteries to last for years and years, but anyone have experience with them? If I could get say, 2 years out of them, (regular use) that'd be great. In the meanwhile, I'f be getting a few more m12 tools and some legit batteries.

My m18 charger has a port for charging an m12 battery already so I dn't need acharger (very convenient milwaukee...)

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 19, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ordered the legit battery instead. Home deeepoe website stopped being a dick, and the price was a buck or two less, but I think the amazon price was taxes in so it ended up being slightly cheaper.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

RE grease gun chat: Yeah, seriously, what the gently caress kind of cheap rear end made in 7th world country grease guns are you guys using?
I've had princess auto grease guns work flawlessly for like 10+ years before finally wearing out. And don't your grease gats come with bleeder valves/screws?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Speaking of grease: White lithium grease, Guy at work uses it for..... Heavy load applications. Like bearings that take a beating and whatnot.

I say that poo poo is for door hinges and car ashtrays, he insists that its fine for heavy duty kinds of uses.

Whats the deal?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Word. Petroleum based it probably what we should be using. The guy's reasoning is apparently, it performs the same regardless of temperature, barring gently caress off cold of heat I guess......

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

For you Toronto area AI goons there are a bunch of tools and whatnot up for auction here:

https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/8814?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=8814

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

StormDrain posted:

I have an empty garage right now that needs to be fitted properly. Tall cabinets, upper cabinets, lowers, a work bench etc. Any recommendations on buying these? What I’ve seen so far is either super nice heavy duty that I can’t quite afford or cheap garbage that I’m going to hate.

I could build the whole thing from wood in a way that I’d like but I have so many other goals and not enough time.

Buy cabinets if you like, but be a real man and make the work bench yourself.
Post pics.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

blindjoe posted:

Whats a good price for a Milwaukee M12 drill, or where do you look for deals?
I have a ridgid 12v drill that I could hand down, and I want one of the cordless tire inflators.
I already have M18, so I figure I could stay in the milwaukee brand.

Other option is to go with Ryobi to get their inflator, but then I would have another set of big batteries.
I want battery yard tools and mower, but I am debating getting the Stihl ones.

Basically I don't know what I want and everything is too expensive to just go impulse buy. Knowing things are on sale would influence what I did a lot.

I've been on a bit of a (milwaukee) binge lately, and have pretty much figured out what I want and just googled the product number.

Something like "milwaukee (product number) price" and then just looked till I found the cheapest price.
I saw one for sale on Amazon (with free shipping), and then looked at the sellers website, and found the same poo poo for about 20 bucks cheaper (paid shipping), but even with shipping it came out a few bucks less than amazon.
I've found a few things even cheaper than Amazon. Keep in mind too, someone mentioned either in this thread, or the tools thread in DIY that Father's day is coming up, so there are probably going to be some sales. If you can wait a month, you might be able to find some cheap poo poo even cheaper.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'd just look for reviews and see what has the most good ones. Maybe there are some "locator forums" around somewhere. Or, just call up some private utility locating companies and ask what they use. It'll probably be a hassle trying to talk to someone at a public locating company as they are sometimes run by the utility themselves, or may otherwise be a large rear end company where you have to go through 20 different numbers just to get an actual person.

Comedy option: witching sticks.

lugnut chat posted:

I bent a tire iron trying to get some lug nuts off my car after I got a shop to replace my clutch. Four foot drill rod on that bitch.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

QuarkMartial posted:

I guess I should give more details; that was posted in the middle of my freakout over my transmission dying.

It's a 2wd Ford transmission, so no transfer case to deal with or anything like that. I think it's a 4R75W or 4R75E; not sure which.

If you cll a dealer, and give them the VIN number, they should be able to tell you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

spog posted:

Oh good god, I have no idea.

It's going to be bolted to my PVC-piping rollcage to look cool.

Gotta make sure its empty though. Save some weight.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can someone give me the cliffs on a oxy/acetylene setup for occasional use.

A before O or up you go.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Don't forget the decimal when ordering drill bits.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Astonishing Wang posted:

The price being 500x higher would tip you off wouldn't it?

Apparently not. I saw that on fakebook. But knowing some of the people I work with.......

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

opengl128 posted:

What do y'all like on a die grinder for clearing rust when doing brake jobs? So for the face of the hub, and also inside the caliper where the ears of the pad ride.

Die grinder or angle grinder?
If angle grinder, a wire wheel attachment. Cup style or disc style.

Die grinder, beats the hell out of me. EVery die grinder I've seen, the RPMs are too high for anything like a wire wheel/sanding attachment.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

sharkytm posted:

French cleats or death!

More like SURRENDER CLEATS HURR!!!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I always thought that if I was going to test my Canadian Tire brand torque wrench, I'd set it at 50, put square drive in vise, and hang a 50 pound bag of sand, one foot from centre of drive (+/- a fraction of an inch of course), and gently put weight on it, see if it clicks, then adjust up or down. Then maybe a 66 pound bag of cement, two bags of sand etc.......Sounds like a pain, but one of these days I swear I'll do it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My nephew just got his first whip. 2006 Ranger, 2wd.

I'm looking to hook him up with some poo poo for it for jesus day.

I'm planning on regifting his rear end some booster cables, I've got 2 or maybe 3 sets sitting in a closet. I'm going to try to find a small 12v compressor, a few bags of sand (seriously), and maybe some better headlight bulbs.

Also a tire repair kit.
I have this one https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-tire-toolbox-0092103p.html#Reviews It works sufficiently, but the straight grip on the rasp and string poker shits is awkward to use. I've got a strong grip, and I'm not a weakling and it wasn't easy for me to shove that poo poo in and out. He's a skinny, 17 year old kid, not a real man like his cheapskate uncle.

Problem is, the kits that have the T handles, don't come with other poo poo. Only the pokers and string plugs.

I've looked, but can't really find much else available with as much poo poo as the first kit I posted, problem is, its got the pokers with the lovely handles. I've checked on Amazon, but most of the kits I've seen on there I kinda question the quality of them. I at least have personal experience with the victor kit. Any suggestions? I could just get him a plastic container and add all the components together, since I'm also going to try and get a small pair of needle nose/side cutters so he can yank out nails/screws etc but I'm a broke rear end bitch and a horrible, cheap uncle.

Can anyone think of anything else I should look for in addition to the above?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

builds character posted:

Maybe a nice harbor freight breaker bar + appropriate socket for his wheels?

Dope idea! Though it'll be a Princess Auto brand.....

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

boxen posted:

I'd suggest a 40lb bag of floor dry or kitty litter (I think they're basically the same thing). Just as gritty, comes in a sealed bag, and useful if he spills oil for some reason.

You can get a tiny jump starter box for fairly cheap now, as an alternative to jumper cables, or a jump starter box that also has an air compressor. I saw that you are giving him a pair of cables you already have, it's just a suggestion.

I'd also recommend a tow strap for getting pulled out of a ditch or pulling others, depending on where you live.

A patch kit for tires might be less useful than a can of that instant-tire-repair stuff, if he's not mechanically-inclined. It'll get him as far as an actual tire repair place at least.

Verify that the truck has a jack (and that it's not one that will try to murder him, depending on how much you like him), and if not, maybe a decent one of those?

Tow strap = good choice, I'll look in to that, and a jack.... What sort of jack won't kill him? Like I mean what is the stock Ranger jack of that era like? Is it ok if its never been used? Or is the stocker just bad all around (they usually are).

He's in highschool and has, or is taking some auto shop classes, so I'd hope that he's at least basically competent to change a tire/follow the instructions to put in a string plug etc.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Holy poo poo, all the suggestions! I can feel the goon love ITT.

MY budget is limited to maybe a hundred and twenty bucks because I'm a broke rear end, cheap uncle. Plus I imagine both sets of grand parents, parents, other uncles will be getting him related poo poo too.

I got the bed weight covered. My work has 50 pound bags of sand in stock all the time, so he's getting at least 3 of them. I'll even show him how to build a little 2x4 frame to keep them over the rear axle.

Thus far he'll be getting from me: 3-4 bags of sand, coarse, can be used for throwing under tires if necessary. Extendable breaker bar w/sockets for busting lug nuts, Re-gifted jumper cables, tire repair kit. I may just build him one after all, rather than get the kit I posted. Tow strap, and I'll ask my brother if the truck has a jack, if it doesn't I'll pick him one up.

Should I get him a short length of 4x4 wood to put under the jack? Maybe its not necessary if he jacks it up from the axle or control arm....

Probably a tool box that will fit most of that poo poo.

Do they take H4 bulbs? I might get him a decent set.

I want to make sure he doesn't go with some m4d sykk euro blue bullshit lights.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I wonder if I waltz into HF and as the clerk where the snatch straps are what would happen.

Ask for a snatch block while you're at it.

Once went in to a liquor store looking for whiskey. Asked a lady "Excuse me, you you have Black Bush"?

She was all :blush: Then I stammered out "whiskey"!!

She had black hair.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Anecdotal story here:
Got the M12 milwaukee rotary tool last February. Speed control crapped out (always on high I think), followed by the on/off switch a month of so later. Only had it for about two months. Same thing happened with another guy at work, same tool.

Went to local Milwaukee service/repair place, they said "no replacement parts, available for it, when that one breaks, you chuck it". He gave me an address for a return centre type place where I assume I could get a new one.

I never bothered, just pull the battery out when not in use. I might take it apart, and see if I can find a number on the switch and change it out myself.

The guy at the service place mentioned "there's a reason we don't sell Milwaukee stuff here".

Take with however many grains of salt you wish.

My M18 drill and impact/2aH betteries have taken a poo poo kicking though, and still work as good as ever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

MrOnBicycle posted:

How should I approach getting a thread repair kit. Are most the same, or is it important to get a good expensive one?

Helicoils? Or whatever generic brand of helicoil type product?

I'd stick with a minimum midlevel brand.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

stgdz posted:

So I got a leak down tester from Amazon. It came with fittings but no connection hoses so I have to find one.

I can do pressure in as it's just a simple compressor fitting. Pressure out a compressor fitting and some fine thread adapter that goes in the spark plug hole. The fittinhas male and female threads on it, same pitch on both sides.

Where can I get this hose from? From what I recall moat compressor fittings are npt.

A store that sell hydraulic /pneumatic parts should have what you're looking for. Most of them can make hoses to whatever length you need.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Looking at getting a milwaukee cordless M12 ratchet.

3/8" and 1/4" are both the same price. If you were going to buy one, which would you choose?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Platystemon posted:

I sometimes have to go as little as 400 m on an unplowed drive.

Maybe I should get me some socks.

Get some boots and walk ya lazy bastard! :v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I've forgotten, but at one time, knew how to read a mic.
Vernier calipers on the other hand always drove me crazy because I couldn't.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

IOwnCalculus posted:

I like my Milwaukee rotary tool better, but I went through two RTXs first. The first I just about wore out, the second is still perfectly fine but I got the Milwaukee as a gift. It's really hard to argue against the RTX at $30.

I've got the m12 milwaukee one. The speed control crapped out after a couple months, and now the on off switch doesn't work.

At least it failed in the ON position. I read a bunch of reviews, most of them said similar things. Also, another guy at work had the switch on his crap out. Same deal.

Just some anecdotal shits for you on the Milwaukee.
I pretty much only use it for one thing, and it still works for that task, but if you need the speed to vary and turn on and off without removing the battery, then like beware or whatever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

slidebite posted:

I think the basically no questions asked Milwaukee warranty is something like 5 years, based on the serial # if you don't have a receipt. Get it repaired gratis assuming you've had it less then that.

I brought it to a milwaukee warranty place, and the guy was all "can't fix it, there are no replacement parts, its either replacement or nothing".

He gave me the address of the "return centre"(?) but its only open during the week like 9-5 or whatever. Theres pretty much no way I'm getting there during that time and I can't be arsed to mail it there. Not to mention I'm still using the thing about every day.
If it completely dies on me, then maybe, but otherwise, I'ma probably just say gently caress it, it still "works".

Probably not the smartest thing to do, but :effort: and all that.

BraveUlysses posted:

it's so drat rare that you'll ever need a stupid crows foot, idk if it's worth bothering.

ive never needed one doing work on my own vehicles over the past 20 years

I've never really had the need to use crow's foot poo poo on anything automotive either.

Working on hydraulic poo poo on the other hand....

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

sharkytm posted:

That and crows foot LINE wrenches.

I was disappointed that the crow's foot set of ummmmm "sockets" I got for work, weren't of the line wrench variety.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

i have the stubby m12 in 1/2 and its neat but i have no real use for it because my cars are new enough they dont need much work :v:

Now is the time to acquire said tools, while you're not spending money on repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Uthor posted:

Any opinion on these kinds of ear plugs?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#54875T7

I've always used foam ones for long periods of use, but they are annoying now as an engineer cause I'm always taking them out to talk to customers.

Are this style easy to put in and out? Good sound protection? My biggest issue with the foam ones is getting them in and waiting for them to expand and fill my ear, especially if I'm putting them in often.

I've got a pair of these attached to my hard hat

https://www.uline.ca/BL_1090/Cap-Mounted-Earmuffs

They work good. Been using these ones for years. Well different pairs, but that same kind/brand. They've always been sufficient for me, in the drilling industry. Even when standing within a foot or two of a hydraulic jack hammer, that is at times literally at ear level. They also hold my hardhat in place in the winter, when I might have a hood underneath it and my hat will fall off easily otherwise.

You mention being an engineer, are these for a factory floor type situation, or construction site type use?